5 live Martin

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Topside Northbank

Re: 5 live Martin

Post by Topside Northbank »

Hi Guys,

All good things come to an end and after a decent 22 game unbeaten run like London buses,you wait a while and unfortunately in this case two come along at once in a footballing sense in the shape of Arsenal defeats.It's time to stand up,be counted and not capitulate hallmarks that if were sporting silver be it trophies or otherwise would no doubt bear the initials AW,on a side note,very rarely did Arsene have to ever wait for a bus in London.

For Emery a testing period ahead.I can only think how the previous incumbent used to deal with these situations,the defeats and the players especially looking at Emery and his handling of Mesut Ozil.It was always a tight knit group under Arsene and I think of the Ozil situation and how Arsene may well of handled this differently and his first concern would be for the player and the likelihood that Mesut may well be in the red zone in terms of minutes played recently,he could do with a breather,maybe the midweek rest given by Emery was a leaf out of Arsene's book.

The school of thought here in my Arsene experience is those 20 minutes at Southampton may have left the player leggy.could he do with a break and bring him back refreshed,it's a big call for Emery and maybe a crossroads moment in his Arsenal tenure.

I read Arsene attended the recent 4-2 derby victory,probably that alone helped inspire the players that day and who knows what the future holds if the season goes off the rails,the comfort blanket,coat and zip of Arsene is still available,should advice or anything more hands on is required.

In a week where Manchester United decided to hire a rookie caretaker coach when a serial whiner I mean winner is available in Arsene Wenger you have to give credit to him for staying loyal to Arsenal and not offering to give an old foe a hand up.

Many inside contacts I have also breathed a sigh of relief as Wenger at United would almost certainly of mean't Steve Bould leaving Arsenal and after the week Emery and Arsenal have suffered it was a selfless move by the former manager and kudos to him for that.

Be careful what you wish for and at this seasonal time of the year it would be a footballing present for everyone if Arsene imo was to come back into management.Lets face it he probably has turned down lots of offers,maybe a return of sorts to a former club could be on the cards should this poor run of form continue.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Always good to get some perspective on matters Martin and reassuring to note that the win against the scum was actually all down to AW......I really shouldn't be surprised to learn that a higher power was behind that.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

I think that our good start must have been down to the residual effect of Wengers tactical training sessions, but now they are starting to wear off, and the new guy is being exposed for the lazy past it imposter he is. :evil:

Only one man can turn this ship around, the one that build this club with his own god like hands. The Wenger.

In Emery's arrogance he may have thown the handbrake out with the bath water :rubchin:

Dick Out.
ARSEne In.

:barscarf:

build the statue.

Topside Northbank

Hi Guys,

A sobering Saturday night but tomorrow brings a new year.I thought Liverpool took full advantage of Arsenal's defensive unit,which looked shiny and new like a put together Ikea wardrobe on Xmas morning except with all the screws missing,pulling at any of the defensive draws on offer would of course mean't collapse,which our new put together of a wardrobe defense did.Emery needs to read the instructions better maybe the Swedish giant did not include a Spanish translation instruction leaflet with this wardrobe.

Lots of the past fringe players used to always buy Arsene some gifts from Ikea,Arsene being the wise man when unpacking his Ikea present always ensured there was French,English,German and Japanese instructions I remember one Xmas morning tales of Junichi Inamoto failing badly with his induction of putting together Arsene's wardrobe,It was the beginning of the end for him same happened years later to Park Chu-Young.

Arsene was ruthless and both made a total of one appearance between them.Only Igor Stepanovs passed the test put three pieces of furniture together in an hour,sorted out the plumbing and painted the kitchen all one Xmas morning and rightly went on to become an Arsenal legend,how they could do with a Stepanovs today.

Arsene could always organize a defense of course the 15/16 team kept more clean sheets than any other and just failed by 10 points to overcome a Leicester City side that had everything in their favour Arsenal beat them twice that year 5-2 and 2-1 and it still irks Arsene a playoff for the title wasn't ordered on this basis alone.A mystery but probably our last recent chance at the title.Last year the makings of a great defense was created with Mustafi a snip at 35m and the evergreen Koscielny.Arsene spotted the need for a holding midfield player and Xhaka was bought in 35m,his ability to see danger,snuff it out alongside Mustafi at CB have given Emery a lot of potential to work with.

Fulham tomorrow yet to win an away game have lost eight and drawn two,I expect a tight game with few goals both will be nervous should both fail to register a goal I suspect a frustrating afternoon for all,if that happens a likely 0-0 will be on the cards,Saturday has been a reality check for Emery.

I spoke to a recent ex-Arsenal manager yesterday and he said Emery may well have to heed the ghosts of Xmas past,and a new years present of three points be just the tonic for the new manager not an Ikea set from the fringe players as per Arsene tradition.I said 'luckily the wardrobe for Fulham isn't playing Papa Bouba Diop' I was put firmly in my place by the wise old sage of glories past,present and who knows maybe future.

I was told he was one of the first players he was thinking about signing last January transfer window,was talked out of it Diop wanted 250 k a week three year deal, Arsene agreed to the wages but only 18 months as per the length of his own deal.This sale or return deal collapsed,the wardrobe this January if advised he said and he is expecting a call,still believes Yaya and Kolo Toure should be bought in on a special buy one get one free offer.

Finger on the pulse as always the ex-manager he has been watching the darts as well as the football this Xmas and has got the feeling they could still do a job,I don't watch darts so I know why but he must have a reason why these two came into his head maybe a tad past their best imo but what do I know,compared to a man that always went to places like Anfield and oversaw some fantastic results.

Happy new year one and all.

John F

Post by John F »

I can enlighten you Martin on the darts connection and Arsene.As ever our innovative ex manager was always open to influence from other sources outside of football for his match day tactics.Having gone in disguise wearing a polo shirt,fake tattoos and a wig and fake boobies to blend in with the women at the Lakeside club he noticed that the games were being won by grouping pricks (French for darts)in the upper middle part of the playing area and the rest as they say is history.There was an unfortunate incident when he bent over in front of Jocky Wilson whilst trying to zip up his boots but for legal reasons we cannot mention the details.

Topside Northbank

Hi Guys,

It's been a while,Emery is struggling at present a smile and 'good ebening' is not going to cut it at present getting his message across looks a real issue.

The former incumbent was fluent in 6 languages and in these modern times of multi national players,it of course paved the way for many others like Steve Bruce who is now fluent in English and Geordie,Emery needs to keep working,square,backwards and don't pick up are the stock phrases he uses I hear,he will need to expand on these footballing messages to succeed long term.

Emery has a break of two weeks now and maybe time to put together a DVD of the season's highlights so far and remind the group how good they are,,,the modern footballer doesn't like too much information overload and the two minute DVD,shouldn't stretch their attention span too much,

For team bonding AM Niles has offered to bring in the sweets he collected trick or treating,great gesture.Xhaka needs to be reintroduced to the group and will ceremoniously insert the DVD in the player,this is a great idea from the manager the sweets are to be passed out from the back,Emery may well be using subliminal messages to get the playing style across.

I don't see Arsenal in the title race this season 17 points off Liverpool,it could only be bridged by a real special manager.

Arsene Wenger has rebuffed a approach from Bayern Munich it seems,he likes a challenge and should the Arsenal continue to flounder under Emery why not give someone who know the club inside out the reigns,For me and at least for the next 18 months a man residing in Totteridge currently awaiting the right offer surely has to be in the frame,