Your choice as manager/Arteta Merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who Do YOU Want As Next Arsenal Manager

Ancelotti
21%
Tuchel
1%
Allegri
49%
PV4
6%
Enrique
2%
Jardim
5%
Nagelsmann
1%
Rodgers
1%
Arteta
3%
Others
12%

Total votes: 127

GoonerMuzz

Re: Arteta

Post by GoonerMuzz »

clockender1 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:39 pm
markyp wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:30 pm
Although appointing Arteta is probably going to be a disaster apparently it was him who has gotten all the backroom staff sacked this past week, 7 if I remember correct? At least he has identified that all the coaching has been total dog shit at the club for years, maybe Arteta isn't the mug we all think he might be and he has good hair :D
apparently, Arteta was very vocal at Everton and berated Moyes a few times when they were losing or not playing well. he was not afraid to give the team a bollocking either from what Alan Stubbs says.

I think its a premature appointment, but then they said that about Pep and Simeone too. it might work, it might not.
Both are interesting points and actually point to him having a more forceful character than we've possibly seen, and it may bode well but I still feel his lack of experience may be detrimental when needing to make important decisions on and off the field, only time can tell :rubchin:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 3:54 pm
Both are interesting points and actually point to him having a more forceful character than we've possibly seen, and it may bode well but I still feel his lack of experience may be detrimental when needing to make important decisions on and off the field, only time can tell :rubchin:
I'd love to know if the clearout was his decision/recommendation.

that is the 2nd best thing that happened, after the ex-manager leaving of course.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Just like our touted player signings,we get promised a date with Jessica Alba,but Ann Widdicombe tips up! :banghead: :twisted:
None of the decent managers want to come anywhere near the club.
KRONKE OUT! :barscarf:

Arsenal Till I Die

Re: Your Choice As Manager

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

This is it boys, this is the end.

No ''top'' player is going to want to come and play for Arteta and Cazorla. :lol: :lol:

Fucking mid-table obscurity here we come.

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

I am starting to wonder whether "no news is good news".......if it were going to be Arteta, there is no reason why this could not have been announced by now. I live in hope that we are waiting for a bigger fish managing a team in one of the European leagues who are playing their final games over the next few days.

Arsenal Till I Die

Re: Your Choice As Manager

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 2:26 pm
goonersid wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 2:24 pm
If it is Arteta and he has a poor start then I he will have nowhere to hide with akbs and opponents of our last manager all turning on him! I can see him gone by Christmas
With Wenger to come back in on a temporary basis to steady the ship :barscarf:
Imagine if that was the conspiracy all along. :rubchin: :rubchin:

Arteta comes in as a patsy to not do well and then Wenger comes riding in on a red and white horse to save the day and is given a ''life time contract'' to show us all that the ''grass isn't always greener.''

Excuse me, I need to replace the tinfoil on my hat. :barscarf:

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:05 pm
I am starting to wonder whether "no news is good news".......if it were going to be Arteta, there is no reason why this could not have been announced by now. I live in hope that we are waiting for a bigger fish managing a team in one of the European leagues who are playing their final games over the next few days.
ST Renewals out of the way first :barscarf: :banghead: :censored:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

clockender1 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:10 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:

that is the 2nd best thing that happened, after the ex-manager leaving of course.
Sacked the incompetent buffoon tick.
Get rid of the awful back room leeches tick.
Put in place someone to do the transfers and contracts tick
So far, so good, in fact pretty much what I would have liked to happen just a few years too late.

Now, wasn’t there some other incidental thing left to be done

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

I fear Arteta will be our Gary Neville I just hope he isn't our Frank de Boer.

JCB

Post by JCB »

A deeply depressing appointment if true. I thought I was ready to come in from the cold: back into Arsenal, back into football, to join in on office conversations on football and start to feel the passion again. However, if Arteta is the chosen one, I think we're looking at another couple of dark, meandering, meaningless years.

I'd love to be proved wrong but the comment above of "giving a 17 year old the keys to a Ferrari" may prove ominously true.

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

StuartL wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:39 pm
clockender1 wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:10 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Sacked the incompetent buffoon tick.
Get rid of the awful back room leeches tick.
Put in place someone to do the transfers and contracts tick
So far, so good, in fact pretty much what I would have liked to happen just a few years too late.

Now, wasn’t there some other incidental thing left to be done
You're talking about the Wenger statue, right?

:lol:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:41 pm
You're talking about the Wenger statue, right?

:lol:
remember when Maggie Thatchers statue got decapitated. :rubchin:

VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

JCB wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:01 pm
I thought I was ready to come in from the cold: back into Arsenal, back into football, to join in on office conversations on football and start to feel the passion again. However, if Arteta is the chosen one, I think we're looking at another couple of dark, meandering, meaningless years.
I'm in a similar position, but tbh I just don't have the energy to protest and take a stand now that the Wenger situation has finally ended. It was a highly stressful situation that took a lot out of the fanbase (to say the least), so it's bewildering when I heard people say, "He's gone now, let's move on", the day after his final game. Did Fritzl's daughters just up and leave the basement and toddle off down the street for a cup of tea as if nothing had ever happened too?

I'm sure I'm in the minority with the following, but I honestly don't care if we finish 14th (or whatever) next season. Aside from not competing, one of the most deflating things about Wenger's reign of terror was the predictability and 'com-fort-ability' of it all. You could look at the fixture list every single June and pretty much predict the outcome of all 38 games there on the spot. Win at home to Burnley. Lose at Liverpool. Beat West Ham. Lose at Chelsea. Et cetera, etc. It was so tedious, especially when beating enough of the weaker teams was somehow deemed a success in its own right. Arteta's completely out of left-field, and certainly not an appointment I'd endorse, but at least there's an element of unpredictability. I like not knowing exactly how the season is going to play out.

Also, don't forget the 90s - one of my favourite decades in our history - was full of ups and downs. One minute we're champions and nearly undefeated, the next we're 10th. Then we're winning the ECWC, and flirting with the drop zone the following year. Then Rioch comes in for a cup of coffee. Bergkamp played in the same team as Glenn fucking Helder. Next thing you know, we've won the double. It's all this crazy shit that I want as a fan - not just treading water and having the same 'groundhog day' season over and over. Yes, Arteta probably will flop, but at least it's something different. And having waited 11 years for this, I simply don't have the strength to start from scratch with a brand new protest against a manager who hasn't been appointed yet.

oaodan

Post by oaodan »

Its worrying, are they hoping for another Pochetino just because he was at PSG with him. I'm even more worried with the suggestion of Cazorlas involvement. I was never a big fan, too easily knocked off the ball, looked good but delivered little in big games in my opinion. All we need now is Ozil or Eboue to be announced as defensive coach.Could be carnage, but l guess its change and the start of rehab. Hopefully.

JCB

Post by JCB »

VoiceOfReason wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:54 pm
JCB wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:01 pm
I thought I was ready to come in from the cold: back into Arsenal, back into football, to join in on office conversations on football and start to feel the passion again. However, if Arteta is the chosen one, I think we're looking at another couple of dark, meandering, meaningless years.
I'm in a similar position, but tbh I just don't have the energy to protest and take a stand now that the Wenger situation has finally ended. It was a highly stressful situation that took a lot out of the fanbase (to say the least), so it's bewildering when I heard people say, "He's gone now, let's move on", the day after his final game. Did Fritzl's daughters just up and leave the basement and toddle off down the street for a cup of tea as if nothing had ever happened too?

I'm sure I'm in the minority with the following, but I honestly don't care if we finish 14th (or whatever) next season. Aside from not competing, one of the most deflating things about Wenger's reign of terror was the predictability and 'com-fort-ability' of it all. You could look at the fixture list every single June and pretty much predict the outcome of all 38 games there on the spot. Win at home to Burnley. Lose at Liverpool. Beat West Ham. Lose at Chelsea. Et cetera, etc. It was so tedious, especially when beating enough of the weaker teams was somehow deemed a success in its own right. Arteta's completely out of left-field, and certainly not an appointment I'd endorse, but at least there's an element of unpredictability. I like not knowing exactly how the season is going to play out.

Also, don't forget the 90s - one of my favourite decades in our history - was full of ups and downs. One minute we're champions and nearly undefeated, the next we're 10th. Then we're winning the ECWC, and flirting with the drop zone the following year. Then Rioch comes in for a cup of coffee. Bergkamp played in the same team as Glenn fucking Helder. Next thing you know, we've won the double. It's all this crazy shit that I want as a fan - not just treading water and having the same 'groundhog day' season over and over. Yes, Arteta probably will flop, but at least it's something different. And having waited 11 years for this, I simply don't have the strength to start from scratch with a brand new protest against a manager who hasn't been appointed yet.
Salient points.

Totally forgot about Glen Helder! Looked like the kind of guy you'd buy pills off on a weekend jolly to Amsterdam. Just plundered these nuggets from wikipedia:

"In an interview in 1999 he stated that during his stay at NAC he tried to commit suicide because of problems resulting from compulsive gambling.[7] However, he continues to gamble, and is sometimes seen playing poker on the English Five television station, representing the Netherlands.[8]

Subsequent to his retirement from the game, Helder took up music and is currently an experienced and well known instrumentalist especially in the role of a percussionist.[9] He as well recently took up the profession of a stand up comedian."