ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
herbert

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by herbert »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:20 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:31 pm
augie wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:51 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:10 pm
Why is anyone surprised by this?

Not wanting to be harsh but when Wenger was here this was par for the course, not all of us believed it was all down to Wenger at the time but a multitude of sinners in the club structure yet only now is the penny seeming to drop for some. We are the archetypal 'Scotsman' in the transfer market (sorry Jock and Falkirk, but you know what i mean :wink: ), to coin an old joke, copper wire was invented by Stan and Arsene fighting over a penny from the Arsenal piggy bank :banghead:

We'll have a trolley dash with a week to go lads, dont worry its what we do!! Then the sheep in the bowl will be happy :barscarf: :barscarf:

Tierney should be a no brainer to be honest position of need, 22 YO, £25M not a massive risk or valuation in the current market, Zaha i wouldn't want anywhere near the club for the exact same reasons others have mentioned, but what worries me the most is the lack of movement out the club to free up money and wages, it feels like we are going into the new season with pretty much the same issues, i mean players, we ended last season with and currently no immediate improvement options :rubchin:

I understand your thought process here, but the contradiction in it is kinda touched upon in your second paragraph - wenger ran the transfer system including contracts etc. and it is down to his woefully bad mismanagement of our finances that we don't have a pot to pish in. The lack of players moving out, are those same players that the French cock bought and overpaid and we will be living with his mistakes for a long time yet
I get your point Augie but AW didn't sign the checks or assign the transfer budget. He may of offered to hand it back if given it on occasions but there is no proof he was actually ever offered it. It's easy to seem the good guy to your boss by making statements like that, but in all honesty it was incredibly cowardly of him to accept the 'supposed' budget limitations he was given especially when his 'project youth' failed.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that Wengers arrogance and touted running of everything blinds us to the reality that in some things he was as much a yes man as the Lizard and the Board were. I think its becoming increasingly obvious after the removal of Wenger and many of his acolytes in the last year or so that nothing much is changing at the highest levels of the club and that our supposed stay away owner is much more in control of things than we supposed when we were levelling most of our ire and the blame at Wenger.

No doubt Wenger was an idiot, but some might say he was a useful idiot in the way he acted like a shield for those higher up the food chain than him, now the shield has gone maybe we are seeing much more clearly than before, but that is just my opinion.

I'm worried that the new Manager may have fallen into the same trap but for different reasons, AW was a self serving aggrandising prick but in UEs case he may have fallen for the same shysters tricks by those above when signing on and been led down a garden path by naivety, only time will tell.

I think few of us thought that it was ONLY Wenger that was at the root of our problems, but he was, undoubtedly, as big a problem as any and imo, the catalyst for our onfield decline. Never forget that he squandered fortunes over the years (sadly the media and most fans still don't recognise it) and far from over-achieving with the resources at his disposal, he massively under-achieved.

It's actually impossible to separate the whole putrid bunch of ex and current directors / owners and the manager....each and every one was clearly complicit in maximising personal gain, at the expense of onfield success. Wenger was their front man, who willingly sold out whatever values and honour he may have ever possessed and was the foil who (quite brilliantly) kept the majority of our lobotomised fans quiet for over a decade. A sly, duplicitous, lying fucker, involved up to his neck in the deceit.

Whether Dick has "fallen into the same trap" willingly or unwillingly (I suspect the latter), doesn't really matter. The poor bastard hasn't got a hope of keeping the fans onside, because he doesn't have the sentiment and goodwill that the Fraud was able to trade on for years. It's quite possible that the Arsenal manager's seat, will be lashed to a revolving door for the foreseeable future.
:lol: 2006 to 2012 the figures are out there and fact so why should I not recognise that ?
50 mill made in the transfer market during that period andfrom 96/97 up to and including the Ozil transfer fee his total transfer incomings and outgoings was +26 million
A little bit of an over-achievement maybe?

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

herbert wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:58 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:
augie wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Not wanting to be harsh but when Wenger was here this was par for the course, not all of us believed it was all down to Wenger at the time but a multitude of sinners in the club structure yet only now is the penny seeming to drop for some. We are the archetypal 'Scotsman' in the transfer market (sorry Jock and Falkirk, but you know what i mean :wink: ), to coin an old joke, copper wire was invented by Stan and Arsene fighting over a penny from the Arsenal piggy bank :banghead:

We'll have a trolley dash with a week to go lads, dont worry its what we do!! Then the sheep in the bowl will be happy :barscarf: :barscarf:

Tierney should be a no brainer to be honest position of need, 22 YO, £25M not a massive risk or valuation in the current market, Zaha i wouldn't want anywhere near the club for the exact same reasons others have mentioned, but what worries me the most is the lack of movement out the club to free up money and wages, it feels like we are going into the new season with pretty much the same issues, i mean players, we ended last season with and currently no immediate improvement options :rubchin:

I understand your thought process here, but the contradiction in it is kinda touched upon in your second paragraph - wenger ran the transfer system including contracts etc. and it is down to his woefully bad mismanagement of our finances that we don't have a pot to pish in. The lack of players moving out, are those same players that the French cock bought and overpaid and we will be living with his mistakes for a long time yet
I get your point Augie but AW didn't sign the checks or assign the transfer budget. He may of offered to hand it back if given it on occasions but there is no proof he was actually ever offered it. It's easy to seem the good guy to your boss by making statements like that, but in all honesty it was incredibly cowardly of him to accept the 'supposed' budget limitations he was given especially when his 'project youth' failed.

I'm increasingly of the opinion that Wengers arrogance and touted running of everything blinds us to the reality that in some things he was as much a yes man as the Lizard and the Board were. I think its becoming increasingly obvious after the removal of Wenger and many of his acolytes in the last year or so that nothing much is changing at the highest levels of the club and that our supposed stay away owner is much more in control of things than we supposed when we were levelling most of our ire and the blame at Wenger.

No doubt Wenger was an idiot, but some might say he was a useful idiot in the way he acted like a shield for those higher up the food chain than him, now the shield has gone maybe we are seeing much more clearly than before, but that is just my opinion.

I'm worried that the new Manager may have fallen into the same trap but for different reasons, AW was a self serving aggrandising prick but in UEs case he may have fallen for the same shysters tricks by those above when signing on and been led down a garden path by naivety, only time will tell.

I think few of us thought that it was ONLY Wenger that was at the root of our problems, but he was, undoubtedly, as big a problem as any and imo, the catalyst for our onfield decline. Never forget that he squandered fortunes over the years (sadly the media and most fans still don't recognise it) and far from over-achieving with the resources at his disposal, he massively under-achieved.

It's actually impossible to separate the whole putrid bunch of ex and current directors / owners and the manager....each and every one was clearly complicit in maximising personal gain, at the expense of onfield success. Wenger was their front man, who willingly sold out whatever values and honour he may have ever possessed and was the foil who (quite brilliantly) kept the majority of our lobotomised fans quiet for over a decade. A sly, duplicitous, lying fucker, involved up to his neck in the deceit.

Whether Dick has "fallen into the same trap" willingly or unwillingly (I suspect the latter), doesn't really matter. The poor bastard hasn't got a hope of keeping the fans onside, because he doesn't have the sentiment and goodwill that the Fraud was able to trade on for years. It's quite possible that the Arsenal manager's seat, will be lashed to a revolving door for the foreseeable future.
:lol: 2006 to 2012 the figures are out there and fact so why should I not recognise that ?
50 mill made in the transfer market during that period andfrom 96/97 up to and including the Ozil transfer fee his total transfer incomings and outgoings was +26 million
+26 million.....that's about a year and a half of ozil's wages....chump change in the scheme of things!

I have little doubt that TOF was left to his own designs in the transfer market and he was allowed free rein to do as he pleased as long as he didn't cause the club to have to borrow any money.

In addition to the money that match day, tv and commercial brought in he was able to create a transfer fund surplus - albeit selling some players we should have kept while buying some dross we shouldn't have touched with a barge pole.

Unfortunately at the end it all went tits up as he made the infamous signings of mustafi and Xhaka while cocking up over sanchez and ramsey and of course the ozil debacle. As a result of this last series of fuck ups we have lost the transfer working capital he was allowed to play with hence we have no money left to spend, the £40M, under the self sustaining (no borrowing) model. Whoever it was above who made the statement "squandered fortunes" is bang on AND that is why we are currently fucked. No spare money anymore and shit assets which we can't dispose of. I agree that many fans don't seem to get it or they are too stupid to do the math.

As for Dick, Edu, Sanllehi et al.....as I said a little while ago (and some plank went off on a different tangent as I recall) - why on earth would you come here to do damage to your professional reputation in football and be restricted in the way that wiggy is going to force upon you. Have they all misread the situation, do they think they can change wiggy or are they just happy to take the cash and move on when it all goes to ratshit.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

herbert wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:58 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:
augie wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Hello Herbert. Take a look at Swiss Rambler....he'll put it into perspective far better than I'm able.

The amount that Wenger squandered on sub standard players, on over paying them and on keeping duds and crocks on those lucrative wages for years on end, is eye watering. Added to that, is the number of times that his abject mismanagement allowed contracts to run down for quality players, who walked for free and for whom we should have received substantial transfer fees.

So, it really isn't just about transfer spend and sale is it ? It's also about the millions he burned through vanity, arrogance and piss poor management. That's what too many don't recognise. Where's DB10 when you need him ???

One look at the mess of a squad we've got at the moment, with lazy fuckers and no-marks, raking in fortunes for being crap and the Club unable to move them on, is thanks to the old French clown and ought to tell you all you need to know. As for 2006-2012, where was the over achievement ? I don't remember much in the way of silverware. Sadly, I do remember blowing a couple of opportunities to win the league, losing a cup final to a relegated team and I seem to recall there being an 8-2 loss (amongst other embarrassments) along the way ??

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Seems you beat me to it Jock. :D :barscarf:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Here we go again talking about Wenger, some of you will just never learn will you?.

:banghead:

herbert

Post by herbert »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:35 pm
Yep a team paying top 5 wages and finishing eh :rubchin: 5th :lol:

do the math a win at home to brighton and we would have been over-achievers
as it is we are doomed captain Manwaring

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Ever speedy when it comes to hitting the enter key :lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

herbert wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

Herbert, if we had won one of the many many games at the end of the season when Dick went into a wenkeresque freefall then that would have been on Dick and nothing to do with the math that condemns TOF. As it was, the fact that Dick didn't have the nous to drag us over the line when he could have easily nicked 4th, well that's on him too.

The ropey cup, a trophy, a place in history but peanuts money against securing 4th and CL money - one route would have given him the cash to spend that he needs.....the other had no monetary value. Dick finishing 4th in his first season would have reflected well on him. He made his choice and got it wrong at the end of the day so has made life more difficult for himself. Subsequently that has served to highlight the utter incompetence displayed by TOF at the end.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:37 pm
herbert wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:05 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:

Herbert, if we had won one of the many many games at the end of the season when Dick went into a wenkeresque freefall then that would have been on Dick and nothing to do with the math that condemns TOF. As it was, the fact that Dick didn't have the nous to drag us over the line when he could have easily nicked 4th, well that's on him too.

The ropey cup, a trophy, a place in history but peanuts money against securing 4th and CL money - one route would have given him the cash to spend that he needs.....the other had no monetary value. Dick finishing 4th in his first season would have reflected well on him. He made his choice and got it wrong at the end of the day so has made life more difficult for himself. Subsequently that has served to highlight the utter incompetence displayed by TOF at the end.
:lol:
Terry Neill can blame Bertie Mee ,did you spend all the money from the Afc ,Bertie said no but I let Charlie go :barscarf:

You win mate

On a positive note The youngsters were great on the tour and 2 proper kits :barscarf:
If Kronke or his advisors are reading? then a quality centre back to partner Cpt R Holding next season is a must if we want to win the league

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

Herd wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:37 am

I've been an Arsenal fan for over 40 years - why am I not being linked with signing for the club ? :cry: :cry: :cry:
I've been one for over 50 years and all the club have ever tried to do is have me arrested, some people have no appreciation !
PS the last Arsenal fan we signed was Jenkinson !
60 years for me & when I got banned from Hackney Marshes the club sent me to Aussie for a game. Have we got anyone new yet ?? :barscarf: :barscarf:

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Move along please, nothing to see here...

Are you excited yet?. :roll:

Nabil Fekir went for £17.8M wtf?, must be something in his medical.

goonertone

Post by goonertone »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:24 pm
I've given up with this whole transfer window saga....I can't be bothered with these embarrassing 'bids' that we are throwing about.

Zaha, who we don't need, is just pure misdirection to get some attention as big spenders :roll: but then we bid peanuts for an established left back, who we do need, which shows that we are actually quite happy to make do with Monreal and Kolasinac :suicide:

A kid CB loaned back and playing nursery club to RM to develop one of their promising youngsters.

Why couldn't we just have bought Tierney and a decent CB and said that's it. Then give our own kids a chance where needed. Sorted.
Yep, that sums it up nicely.

The Zaha business is a farce and a distraction. He's decent at best but no more than that. All he would bring to the table is a few more penalties with his diving antics. Youngsters like Nelson need to be given a real chance at this level while the club prioritise our well documented defensive issues.

Also for me this transfer window was as much about getting rid of some of the dross as it was about who was brought in and so far the club don't seem to have got to grips with that either.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

goonertone wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:17 pm

The Zaha business is a farce and a distraction. He's decent at best but no more than that. All he would bring to the table is a few more penalties with his diving antics. Youngsters like Nelson need to be given a real chance at this level while the club prioritise our well documented defensive issues.

Also for me this transfer window was as much about getting rid of some of the dross as it was about who was brought in and so far the club don't seem to have got to grips with that either.
Everton being linked with Zaha now anyway, you know Everton that huge club that can outbid us?. :roll:

Anyway whatever we need to sort defence like you say, our so called captain is on strike because we wouldn't let him go, I know people will say he needs to honour his contract etc. but ffs why were we even thinking of keeping him?, he's way past it, the only reason is being cheap as per usual.

Saliba wont help us for several yes and we still haven't signed him anyway, it's like Dick Law never left the way it's dragging on :roll:.

And as for Raul he just looks like another useless prat like Gazidis, all mouth and no action.

It's going to take years to turn this around and even if we do it will only be to be a top 4 club again, no way are we competing with City and probably not Liverpool and co. either because by the time we do (IF) they will be light years ahead of us financially.

Yes you guessed it... Kroenke OUT. :censored: :censored: :censored:

augie

Post by augie »

sk-gtfo wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:29 pm
goonertone wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:17 pm

Everton being linked with Zaha now anyway, you know Everton that huge club that can outbid us?. :roll:

Anyway whatever we need to sort defence like you say, our so called captain is on strike because we wouldn't let him go, I know people will say he needs to honour his contract etc. but ffs why were we even thinking of keeping him?, he's way past it, the only reason is being cheap as per usual.

Saliba wont help us for several yes and we still haven't signed him anyway, it's like Dick Law never left the way it's dragging on :roll:.

And as for Raul he just looks like another useless prat like Gazidis, all mouth and no action.

It's going to take years to turn this around and even if we do it will only be to be a top 4 club again, no way are we competing with City and probably not Liverpool and co. either because by the time we do (IF) they will be light years ahead of us financially.

Yes you guessed it... Kroenke OUT. :censored: :censored: :censored:

1. We can mock everton but they have TWO owners (remember usmanov) that are mega wealthy (usmanov is richer than Kroenke) and are willing to spend the necessary cash to be successful

2. We were probably (I cant say for sure) talking about keeping him purely to keep his value at a decent level for the expected sale - offering a player a new/extended contract sends a message that the club still values said player, with should then give us better positioning when negotiating with any interested club

Herd

Post by Herd »

You know things are bad when Celtic supporters call us a mickey mouse club ,as happened to me yesterday ,although they did admire the cheek of a bonus payment if we get into the Champions League ,*word censored* nearly spilt his beer he was laughing so hard !