ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:05 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:47 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:05 am
I'm sorry but that 4 - 3 quote of Dick's still worries me.

Pepe is an exciting signing but we appear to be doing the wenker thing all over again against shoring up the defence :?

As mentioned above unless we make the CL, something big happens on the commercial income front or wiggy sticks his hand in his pocket our transfer budget for next summer is basically spent already. We're all doomed :lol: :barscarf:
Well he got the 3 conceded part right last season. Hopefully, we have enough fire power to get to the 4. :D

The way I see it, basically, if we are not in the top 3 by Christmas Emery will get the sack. The amount of wedge wiggy has freed up this summer he'll want instant results. Without question we will have to beat Spurds and Liverpool in the opening month.

When we won the league in 89 and 91 Adams and Bould weren't world class, neither were Dixon and Winterburn. They worked consistently as a unit, with O'Leary who was international class. We don't need to have the best defenders in the world, we need to have a team that stops the ball getting through to the defence. Richardson, Davis, Thomas, Rocastle, Marwood could all hold up play, and put in a challenge. Same could be said for Vieira, Petit, Gilberto, Edu,Parlour and DB10. Even wrighty and Henry would get stuck in on occasions. We haven't got the midfield/ forward players to match title winning teams of the past. Lacazette is a player that gets stuck in, Auba started to after his sinus op. The midfield of Xhaka, Ozil, Iwobi, and Mhiki doesn't have that aspect in their play. The defence is just vulnerable and always on the back foot because the midfield just allow teams through.
I haven't seen much of Cellabos but he comes across as a Pires type player. Pepe will definitely create chances for the front two. Hopefully, Tierney will give us the defensive capability we've lacked on the left side of defence. It'll be a big season for Willock. In pre-season and even in Baku he made a huge difference in our midfield. I cannot see a place in the starting eleven for Ozil, Iwobi or Xhaka.

What wedge is that then ?? :? Have we spent more than the rumoured £45m transfer kitty fund ? Most of our deals are on the never never, and we have already recouped £16m in sales (inc belik), so I dunno what wedge that wiggy b.astard and his slimy son have released
On the outset it looks like a wedge of money. I understand the Pepe, Saliba and Tierney (if it happens) are spread over a payment plan of 5 years but the Kroenkes will see it as a huge investment in the manager and the squad. They will say they've spent over £100m this summer. Personally, i think the £40m transfer fund was media puff, after years of spouting trash of £200m warchest that never materialised.

Zanatos3

Post by Zanatos3 »

HEADLINE:Sources: Man Utd agree record £80m Maguire fee
ESPN FC

LINK
https://global.espn.com/football/soccer ... re-for-80m
2019-08-02-Day After Arsenal record Signing Nico Pepe 72Mil WINGER... ManU Sign Harry Maguire for EPL & Prem Record & World Def RECORD 80MIL.jpg
Day After Arsenal record Signing Nico Pepe 72Mil WINGER... ManU Sign Harry Maguire for EPL & Prem Record & World Def RECORD 80MIL

[& he AIN'T the NEXT BEST Defender in the EPL or the World, but he's EPL Proven, He's FIT, & like John Terry he'll be there & Consistently Defend WELL ALL SEASON LONG!!!! BORING....But GOOD!! & TRUE]

PRIORITIES . . .

& Problem Areas

We know whose got it Right!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

Pepe is an exciting signing but we appear to be doing the wenker thing all over again against shoring up the defence :?

As mentioned above unless we make the CL, something big happens on the commercial income front or wiggy sticks his hand in his pocket our transfer budget for next summer is basically spent already. We're all doomed :lol: :barscarf:
Well he got the 3 conceded part right last season. Hopefully, we have enough fire power to get to the 4. :D

The way I see it, basically, if we are not in the top 3 by Christmas Emery will get the sack. The amount of wedge wiggy has freed up this summer he'll want instant results. Without question we will have to beat Spurds and Liverpool in the opening month.

When we won the league in 89 and 91 Adams and Bould weren't world class, neither were Dixon and Winterburn. They worked consistently as a unit, with O'Leary who was international class. We don't need to have the best defenders in the world, we need to have a team that stops the ball getting through to the defence. Richardson, Davis, Thomas, Rocastle, Marwood could all hold up play, and put in a challenge. Same could be said for Vieira, Petit, Gilberto, Edu,Parlour and DB10. Even wrighty and Henry would get stuck in on occasions. We haven't got the midfield/ forward players to match title winning teams of the past. Lacazette is a player that gets stuck in, Auba started to after his sinus op. The midfield of Xhaka, Ozil, Iwobi, and Mhiki doesn't have that aspect in their play. The defence is just vulnerable and always on the back foot because the midfield just allow teams through.
I haven't seen much of Cellabos but he comes across as a Pires type player. Pepe will definitely create chances for the front two. Hopefully, Tierney will give us the defensive capability we've lacked on the left side of defence. It'll be a big season for Willock. In pre-season and even in Baku he made a huge difference in our midfield. I cannot see a place in the starting eleven for Ozil, Iwobi or Xhaka.
Bielik, Ospina and Osano leaving account for about £11.5M coming in so our £45M becomes £55M. What has happened to Elniny going :?

Pepe, Saliba and Martinelli have cost about £40M if you assume that we coughed up half of Saliba's fee upfront and there's a fair chance we paid less than that so let's say £35M which leaves just about enough for Tierney and that's all folks.

All that has happened is Sanllehi has managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat with Pepe's payment schedule. Nothing to do with wiggy mate.

I think Dick will get next season as long as he is still in with a shout of top 4 at xmas.

As for the 89 / 91 boys, well as a collective defensive unit they certainly were world class. The whole ethos back then was different, we certainly weren't fielding out and out ball players who felt that they didn't have to contribute to defending, GG would have taken Ozil out the back of the old NB and kicked fu.ck out of him for some of his performances.

Agree that Ozil and Iwobi are not starters but think Dick will continue to start with Xhaka. We just need to be more sensible about how many men we commit to attack and realise that more cover is required for our defence if we are going to get away with it.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Sorry to burst a few bubbles here but much as the signings so far are an improvement on similar incumbent players they do not address the major deficiencies from last season.

We shipped so many goals last season, 8th most in the top 10 last season but actually 3rd highest goals scored.....our problem isnt really scoring, although it's always nice to score more, we need to stop conceding and I cant see any of the confirmed signings helping with that.

It hangs in the balance for me, if we get Tierney/LB and a CB then it is a really good window, but if no defensive improvements are made then it just confirms for me that the new hierarchy are just as blinkered as the old :box: :rubchin:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

But we're going to win all our matches 8 - 6 :suicide: :lol:

Zanatos3

Post by Zanatos3 »

85Mil Sorry...so sorry... 'Maguire will become United’s third signing of the summer, joining Aaron Wan-Bissaka and Daniel James in the north-west.'
Defenders
Defenders
Defenders . . .

Young Defenders to replace ppl the Same Age as Captain kos & Nacho Monreal, 33yr olds....

Zanatos3

Post by Zanatos3 »

Mean while Arsenal are Supplying Sokratis with Tadpoles,DUCT TAPE & WD40 to Manage the defense...& Mustafi..

[Spare Change left After buying Rims & Fancy Hood Ornaments...]

Clash

Post by Clash »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:53 pm
Sorry to burst a few bubbles here but much as the signings so far are an improvement on similar incumbent players they do not address the major deficiencies from last season.

We shipped so many goals last season, 8th most in the top 10 last season but actually 3rd highest goals scored.....our problem isnt really scoring, although it's always nice to score more, we need to stop conceding and I cant see any of the confirmed signings helping with that.

It hangs in the balance for me, if we get Tierney/LB and a CB then it is a really good window, but if no defensive improvements are made then it just confirms for me that the new hierarchy are just as blinkered as the old :box: :rubchin:
Well balanced post Muzz.

Like you, I don't see how last seasons major problems i.e. our dreadful away form and no defensive solidity, can significantly improve with the work we've done so far. I do stress ''so far'' as I know there is still time to address this but as you say, it hangs in the balance

As things stand though, we are going into the new season with the same defenders, Xhaka in midfield (maybe now as captain :suicide:) and the three M's (Mustafi, Miki and Monreal) still very much part of the squad. With the inevitable injuries and suspensions, they will almost certainly get a lot of time on the pitch ... and that grim reality is surely enough to dampen anyone's enthusiasm.

Taking everything into account, including changes to the staff (Freddie in particular is someone I'm confident will make a positive impact), I think this summer has definitely been a step in the right direction. It is just the one step at the moment though.

Zanatos3

Post by Zanatos3 »

Clash wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:25 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:53 pm

Well balanced post Muzz.

Like you, I don't see how last seasons major problems i.e. our dreadful away form and no defensive solidity, can significantly improve with the work we've done so far. I do stress ''so far'' as I know there is still time to address this but as you say, it hangs in the balance

As things stand though, we are going into the new season with the same defenders, Xhaka in midfield (maybe now as captain :suicide:) and the three M's (Mustafi, Miki and Monreal) still very much part of the squad. With the inevitable injuries and suspensions, they will almost certainly get a lot of time on the pitch ... and that grim reality is surely enough to dampen anyone's enthusiasm.

Taking everything into account, including changes to the staff (Freddie in particular is someone I'm confident will make a positive impact), I think this summer has definitely been a step in the right direction. It is just the one step at the moment though.
Agreed in part,

Captain Granit Xhaka :horseshite:

Still could spend big on defense...but you know

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

Unpopular opinion but I don't think Maguire is worth anywhere near 80m nor he is the next best thing. Yeah, a consistent defender and has his shit together but far from VVD quality. No doubt he will do well with a stable partner but anyone half good will do a decent job if a partner is solid (look at Gomez and Matip turning up a level when their companion is VVD and Alisson). He reminds me of Laporte; labelled the next best thing, has high potential and has the quality to play well, does play well consistently but only in brief the true 'media hype' is shown throughout the season. Apart from that, solid, gets the job done and will solve a lot of defensive problems but United will still stay the same.

Good on United if they pull it off (thought City would get him) but he will just shift them into CL zone, nothing to challenge Pep or Klopp yet. Only reason Laporte is becoming that good (although his fuckups were why City was out the CL and lost a few crucial games) is Pep. Only reason Gomez and Matip are doing a notch better than previous is VVD and Klopp.

I'm not saying we need to find the next VVD but I am positive even if we get something like Ake, Kimbempe, Romagnoli, Tarkowski we'd be fine because it's not world class players that we lack but a good defensive partnership that understand and compliment each other and doesn't run around like a Mustaforon.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Rumours on twitter we are looking to do a loan deal for Coutinho

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:15 pm
Rumours on twitter we are looking to do a loan deal for Coutinho

Instead of Tierney or to replace captain awol ? :? :roll: :banghead: :banghead:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Rian1 wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:30 pm
Unpopular opinion but I don't think Maguire is worth anywhere near 80m nor he is the next best thing.
i think that's the popular opinion mate - he got done for pace and positioning for England against quality.

the fact that he is now the most expensive defender in the world is just laughable.

PAL are going to tear him a new arsehole.

the Press seem quite impressed with our work this summer :

Deadspin :
Arsenal Are Not Fucking Around This Summer
:lol:
Pépé was the best player in France last season, and he was the only player in Europe’s top five leagues to complete over 100 take-ons, win 100-plus fouls, and take more than 100 shots last season.
Marca :

International Football

Emery's new Arsenal team can now compete with the big boys in England

Premier League •Squad is equipped to make a real impact
Miguel Cuquerella
as "playing for 90" says we are one signing of Tierney away from a guaranteed top four finish.

augie

Post by augie »

For those of you who aren't Irish/pro-celtic/catholic/sectarian or any other bias that you need to have to rate Tierney

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... ons-shine/

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:47 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

Bielik, Ospina and Osano leaving account for about £11.5M coming in so our £45M becomes £55M. What has happened to Elniny going :?

Pepe, Saliba and Martinelli have cost about £40M if you assume that we coughed up half of Saliba's fee upfront and there's a fair chance we paid less than that so let's say £35M which leaves just about enough for Tierney and that's all folks.

All that has happened is Sanllehi has managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat with Pepe's payment schedule. Nothing to do with wiggy mate.

I think Dick will get next season as long as he is still in with a shout of top 4 at xmas.

As for the 89 / 91 boys, well as a collective defensive unit they certainly were world class. The whole ethos back then was different, we certainly weren't fielding out and out ball players who felt that they didn't have to contribute to defending, GG would have taken Ozil out the back of the old NB and kicked fu.ck out of him for some of his performances.

Agree that Ozil and Iwobi are not starters but think Dick will continue to start with Xhaka. We just need to be more sensible about how many men we commit to attack and realise that more cover is required for our defence if we are going to get away with it.
Perhaps with better quality forward players, there is less need to commit players in attack. Therefore, protecting the back line better. Even if we had Van Dijk in our defence we'd still concede goals. At Liverpool he has the front 3 to score, keeping the midfield holding back. He has the two CB, and two in DM holding back whilst the FB's support the attack. It's the system Emery used at Seville.

Elneny, mustafi and mkhi can stll be sold after our window closes as the european one is still open.