ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Nos89 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:41 pm
"They informed us that he is not going to continue with us."

Eddie Nketiah's loan from Arsenal to Leeds has been cut short.

Full story: https://t.co/mCAYErWJSd https://t.co/206Z951KDW
Surprised he's not been used more. At the beginning of the season Leeds supporters were raving about Eddie. Think Arteta will want to assess our young loanees before rushing into the transfer market.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Had my doubts about Zaha in the summer but he's stepped up a level this season and looks way too good to stay at palace and think he'd fit in well with Arteta's philosophy and style.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:23 pm
Had my doubts about Zaha in the summer but he's stepped up a level this season and looks way too good to stay at palace and think he'd fit in well with Arteta's philosophy and style.

Honestly, unless a Saudi royal family gives us a cheque in the morning for £500m to spend in this transfer window, I wouldn't even contemplate thinking about signing an attacking player. Even £250m wouldn't solve our defensive issues to the level required at the top level, so why you are even mentioning Zaha is beyond me.

I know that we all agree that we need reinforcements, but this is still a squad that needs to offload several players - I would think that it is a squad too high on numbers, but too low in quality. A few players need to be offloaded (sold), but a few young players need to be shipped out on loan too

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arteta on Nketiah returning to the club: "Yes, we are having a meeting tomorrow with Raul & Edu to go through all the loans & situation. I know he is coming tomorrow, so I will speak to him & we will try to make the best decision for him" #Arsenal https://t.co/3bSjCkVD6y

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:04 am
Rian1 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:30 pm
With Saliba being recalled, Arteta needs to hit hard for Upmecano, DAZ or even someone like Romagnoli. No reason for anyone in their right mind on that Board to bring anything apart from CBs. Knowing us, we need defensive help but we go and get Volland.

With Granit almost signed for Hertha, that frees up a space and we can get either a seasoned CDM or someone like Tonali who is eyeing up his move from Empoli.
RE:Saliba Read somewhere that we don't have that option, but not 100% sure if it's true.
The clause is in place - but there is no reason why we can't go back and negotiate an early exit. SE aren't competing for the league so the defence will suffer but they'll be fine. They just want to hold onto him for the season as it gives them an extra 6-8 months of scout search for a like-for-like CB.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:26 am
Nos89 wrote:

Honestly, unless a Saudi royal family gives us a cheque in the morning for £500m to spend in this transfer window, I wouldn't even contemplate thinking about signing an attacking player. Even £250m wouldn't solve our defensive issues to the level required at the top level, so why you are even mentioning Zaha is beyond me.

I know that we all agree that we need reinforcements, but this is still a squad that needs to offload several players - I would think that it is a squad too high on numbers, but too low in quality. A few players need to be offloaded (sold), but a few young players need to be shipped out on loan too
Agree the defence needs surgery however, we have not had our best three defenders fit for the season so far and i'd be reluctant to go out and buy a new defence mid-season to cover for them. It is short sighted. I'd wait until the summer before operating on renovating our defence. Realistically, available quality appears to be short at CB. At best we can hope for is a loanee at CB. If by a miracle we obtain Champions League football next season, either through league position or Europa league cup win, then we'd have a bit clout to get the defenders we need. However, upfront a player like Zaha,on current form, will be a massive bonus to the team.
It woud grossly unfair on Tierney if we went out and bought a top quality left back in the january window,as he is a top quality defender we need and it is the left side in which we are vulnerable. Amazing how playing two DM's in front of our back four strengthens our defence. WE know the players that need to be shipped out but currently we couldn't even loan out mustafi to Bromley to help them in their push for promotion.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:52 pm
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Agree the defence needs surgery however, we have not had our best three defenders fit for the season so far and i'd be reluctant to go out and buy a new defence mid-season to cover for them. It is short sighted. I'd wait until the summer before operating on renovating our defence. Realistically, available quality appears to be short at CB. At best we can hope for is a loanee at CB. If by a miracle we obtain Champions League football next season, either through league position or Europa league cup win, then we'd have a bit clout to get the defenders we need. However, upfront a player like Zaha,on current form, will be a massive bonus to the team.
It woud grossly unfair on Tierney if we went out and bought a top quality left back in the january window,as he is a top quality defender we need and it is the left side in which we are vulnerable. Amazing how playing two DM's in front of our back four strengthens our defence. WE know the players that need to be shipped out but currently we couldn't even loan out mustafi to Bromley to help them in their push for promotion.

Didn't even make the bench for last night's game - I have no doubt that if a suitable offer comes in this month we will let him go, be that on loan or for good

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:52 pm
augie wrote:
Nos89 wrote:

Zaha is still a no from me. the bit in red is the issue for me. Zaha has two or maybe three good games in a row and the usual meejia clowns lose their shit about him being "world class" and then he goes 10 games of complete shit and the media hush down. Then he'll score a blinder and the media are up again. And then it's 5 or 6 games of utter shitness again. And so on. He's like Welbeck, Giroud, Sturridge etc just an overpriced but average forward. Not the answer to any question we currently have and especially not at the insane asking price.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Atletico Madrid have engaged Jorge Mendes to broker a move for Thomas Lemar to Arsenal. [Marca]

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to @SkySportDE, #Arsenal are interested in Bayern defender Jerome Boateng & initial contacts have taken place between both parties. Bayern will let him leave for €15m. https://t.co/apT7JIt6e7

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal join January battle to sign Nathan Ake after Calum Chambers injury alters Mikel Arteta transfer plans | @Matt_Law_DT

https://t.co/bJ8xia57Nb

augie

Post by augie »

Can I say no to both please ?

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:26 pm
You can but who do you suggest that is available?

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:35 pm
augie wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:26 pm
You can but who do you suggest that is available?

IF Hertha are willing to pay £20m+ for xhaka NOW, then take that deal first.

Contact juve and see which of their centre backs (rugani or the Turkish guy) they are letting go this month, cos they will be either selling or loaning one of them for sure. in my opinion.

In an ideal world they send one of them to us on loan for remainder of the season.

I would then go back to them and enquire about rabiot - rumours has him available for around £25m (seems a bit low to me if I'm honest), so I would use the xhaka money, plus whatever raul finds under the couch cushions, and I would go back and try to sign him. No doubt he is on a significant weekly wedge so IF we agreed a fee, we would then send out arteta for a one to one chat with the player to convince him to join us - in his last two clubs he seems to have prioritised money and it hasn't worked out for him, so arteta needs to sell the club and his plan to rabiot and make him feel like the key part of his plans.

Back-Up Plans

Approach Leipzig and offer them mustafi and cash for upamecano

Sell xhaka AND kolasniac to fund a deal for dunk or upamecano (would like ake buy waaaaay out of our price range methinks)

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to the Standard, #Arsenal are exploring the possibility of signing Jerome Boateng from Bayern Munich amid concerns they may be priced out of a move for Dayot Upamecano. https://t.co/VWA1X6855d