ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

I'll give this fella a chance until I'm proven wrong.

At least he didn't cost 35mil

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

northbank123 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:52 pm
5 goals in 59 minutes for Harland at Dortmund

Useful
can we sign him up?
:mrgreen:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

wibble wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:15 pm
Sky sports reporting that he has arrived for his medical.

Can’t say I know anything about him but if it stops Mustafi playing it has to be this news. Surely

A massive fucking smack round the head with a cricket bat would be cheaper.

goonertone

Post by goonertone »

wibble wrote:

Can’t say I know anything about him but if it stops Mustafi playing it has to be this news. Surely
Given our medical team's record the bloke will arrive fully fit for his medical and leave on a stretcher!

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:26 pm
I'll give this fella a chance until I'm proven wrong.

At least he didn't cost 35mil
What worries me is that as supporters and especially as the Club we are being told we want to be, competing with Europes Elite, we all should be setting the bar higher than 'better than Mustafi', that bar's so low a limbo dancer couldn't get under it :wink:

Obviously he gets support until proven otherwise as with any new player it just feels like we are penny pinching in positions we need proven quality in as per usual :rubchin:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:28 am
wibble wrote:

Perhaps if they auctioned off the right to wield said cricket bat they could make enough to buy a proper defender.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Flamengo fans are gutted. His insta is full of their fans saying fica pablo. Stay pablo. His missuses too.

He is the first Spanish player to win the Copa.

I wouldnt read too much into him not making it at city - salah didnt make it at chelsea...

Hopefully he is another Martinelli.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I just find it worrying that a player who was at City when John Stones was playing regularly couldn't get a sniff even in Cup competitions is where we are at, dont get me wrong I'll be happy as a pig in shit if he turns out to be good but it always feels like we are going for defensive players who are never quite good enough, 2nd tier if you like and yet we've known for years the defense was our weakest area :rubchin:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

wibble wrote:

:D :D :D

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:38 am
I just find it worrying that a player who was at City when John Stones was playing regularly couldn't get a sniff even in Cup competitions is where we are at, dont get me wrong I'll be happy as a pig in shit if he turns out to be good but it always feels like we are going for defensive players who are never quite good enough, 2nd tier if you like and yet we've known for years the defense was our weakest area :rubchin:

The way the world is gone (and especially the football world), everything has become so condensed that if there is a half decent player in the Albanian pub league we will have heard something about him, but yet I never heard of this guy before yesterday :? I know that there are exceptions like martinelli who no-one had heard about either but (a) he is still a young player (b) he is the rare exception to the rule. This guy was with citehh for a few years and played 3 seasons in spain's top division, but yet no-one had heard of him and that worries me too tbh. I got schooled on here a long time ago about not buying in to youtube clips too much, but as I said yesterday his highlights looked bog average to me.

We need a proper centre back now - what we don't need is another average centre back when we already are top heavy with them. We have luiz, sokratis and holding already there, and if this guy isn't considerably better than him, then I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole. Being better than mustafi is no kind of standard that we should be aiming for, and would make him 4th choice for me. Tbh I would rather stick with the average centre backs than waste money that we cant afford buying another average centre back

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Comments from some Brazilian reporter:

Marí is left-footed, he is very tall and very good in the air, has good positioning and his technique and passing are fairly good for a defender, his main weakness is that he is somewhat slow.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:01 pm
Let me educate you, the sarcasm was aimed at augies post not yours, for the simple reason I have you on ignore, and only see your posts when someone else quotes them.
The day you can educate anyone will be a miracle, they'd have to be pretty far down the food chain.

Also I see you don't deny making fun (having a pop) at someone else's misfortune. That says it all about the level you operate at and what kind of person you are.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:29 am
wibble wrote:

Perhaps if they auctioned off the right to wield said cricket bat they could make enough to buy a proper defender.
We'd have enough money to buy every defender in the world.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

augie wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:16 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:38 am

The way the world is gone (and especially the football world), everything has become so condensed that if there is a half decent player in the Albanian pub league we will have heard something about him, but yet I never heard of this guy before yesterday :? I know that there are exceptions like martinelli who no-one had heard about either but (a) he is still a young player (b) he is the rare exception to the rule. This guy was with citehh for a few years and played 3 seasons in spain's top division, but yet no-one had heard of him and that worries me too tbh. I got schooled on here a long time ago about not buying in to youtube clips too much, but as I said yesterday his highlights looked bog average to me.

We need a proper centre back now - what we don't need is another average centre back when we already are top heavy with them. We have luiz, sokratis and holding already there, and if this guy isn't considerably better than him, then I wouldn't touch him with a bargepole. Being better than mustafi is no kind of standard that we should be aiming for, and would make him 4th choice for me. Tbh I would rather stick with the average centre backs than waste money that we cant afford buying another average centre back
He played two seasons in the Spanish second division and a season in the Dutch league that's why he's fairly unknown.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

I wouldn’t worry too much about whether City liked him or not. History (especially recent) is littered with very good players that didn’t make it at big clubs and shit ones that have an excellent Cv.