ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Retro Gunner

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Retro Gunner »

wibble wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:20 pm
You could argue that Xhaka not starting was the reason we were shit against Villa (although you would obviously be talking bollox)

However, given he came on at half time and was shit and the team performance continued to be shit, clearly that negates that argument. Coupled with the fact that he has been shit the entire time he has played for us and you could more reasonably argue that you’d have to be insane to post on a forum that Xhaka is the answer to our midfield problems. He is one of our most significant contributors to our midfield problems.

Has your drinking increased during lockdown by any chance nos? :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:43 am
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:22 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:57 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:22 pm
Hopefully, when the new season starts Mari will be fit and make the difference to the backline we are all craving for. I think he will make a huge difference to the style that Arteta wants to play. I think our defence will be strengthened by who we can sell rather than buying in this window.

Xhaka has the potential to do the job for us Jordan Henderson has done at Liverpool. For years nobody wanted him at the club , didn't know what he gave to the team but since the arrival of klopp he has been indispensable. I don't know what it is about xhaka but the managers continue to pick him, even Freddie, and more importantly his teammates trust him. Cannot understand it myself but it was noticeable at villa the difference it made when he wasn't starting. So, its who can we afford to buy to play alongside Xhaka rather than who will replace him. Adding Partey and Countinho would be a massive step forward in our current squad. Although, Buendia from Norwich may be a brilliant signing, even though he's Argentinian and not Brazillian.

It is absolutely essential we keep Aubameyang. That will be our key signing of the summer for our forward line.

This is our worse season in 25 years but looking at the squad the transition started by Emery now needs to be finished off in this window by getting rid of a lot of players. Take the hit on what we can get for them and move Ozil and his posse out of the club.
I'm sorry Nos but Jesus Christ mate did you actually watch Xhakatard against Villa? :shock:

Absolutely shocking performance.

Lumbering inept stupidity, no idea about positioning, firing off lazy floaty 50 yard diagonal balls across 11 villa players bunched up together - crosses that dropped 10 yards short of his intended target. The guy offers nothing. NOTHING. :x
As I said, I cannot understand it, nor see they reason why he gets picked and is trusted by his team mates. We just have to accept he ain't going anywhere fast.
Oh right. Sorry I thought you were having some kind of break down and complimenting him! :shock: :wink:

Ignore him Nos, he's a rude bastard.

I detest Xhaka as a player, but would never dream of taking the piss out of you mate.....well, not as long as you go to the appropriate thread and vote for me.

:D :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Rumours of a possible bid for Douglas Luiz from villa - another Brazillian, who'd have guessed that??

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:52 pm
Rumours of a possible bid for Douglas Luiz from villa - another Brazillian, who'd have guessed that??

I know that a lot is being made of the edu links with brazilian players, but for me nationality will not be the primary factor when it comes to buying players this summer - we will buy first and foremost based on price because we will have limited funds to operate with. The problem will kick in after that when edu's agent (cant think of his name) will have inside knowledge of the availability and price of players on his books, and they will be the preferred option then. It isnt that I think that what they are doing is corrupt (maybe it is I dont know), but I feel that they are operating this was cos they have inside info and it will save time - we could go in for a player on another agents books, fcuk around with his club making derisory offer after derisory offer ( :roll: ), and at the end of the day still not meet the asking price. In the meantime players that we can afford and know that are available, will be snapped up by the shammers and villa's of this world and we will be stuck with the same shit all over again

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:02 am
Nos89 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:52 pm

I know that a lot is being made of the edu links with brazilian players, but for me nationality will not be the primary factor when it comes to buying players this summer - we will buy first and foremost based on price because we will have limited funds to operate with. The problem will kick in after that when edu's agent (cant think of his name) will have inside knowledge of the availability and price of players on his books, and they will be the preferred option then. It isnt that I think that what they are doing is corrupt (maybe it is I dont know), but I feel that they are operating this was cos they have inside info and it will save time - we could go in for a player on another agents books, fcuk around with his club making derisory offer after derisory offer ( :roll: ), and at the end of the day still not meet the asking price. In the meantime players that we can afford and know that are available, will be snapped up by the shammers and villa's of this world and we will be stuck with the same shit all over again
What bothers me more is the fact he's a central midfielder who has scored 3 goals in 73 games over the past 2-3 seasons....like we need any more non scoring midfielders !!

To be honest if we don't sign someone who can chip in with 8-12 goals from midfield we can forget any chance of success

augie

Post by augie »

One can never have enough wingers :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12221803 ... bon-offer/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... d-arsenal/

Couldnt afford zaha last summer when we were spending a few quid, and now post covid when we havent a pot to pish in, the journo's decide to get lazy and link us to him again :roll: Would take him every day of the week ahead of pepe mind - actually if we sold pepe for break even money (I am assuming the price agreed with lille last summer included clauses for meeting certain targets which cant be done if he is sold) then he would be out the door for me even if we had to pay up the rest of his contract to get him to fcuk off

augie

Post by augie »

A 4 man shortlist to replace auba

1. Dembele (from Lyon) - have advocated signing him for last 2 years

2. Jiminez (wolves) - He is doing well but I just dont see him as a big club striker but I dunno why

3. Maxim (newcastle) - yeah right :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

4. depay (lyon) - :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: he can fcuk right off

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12222090 ... ubameyang/

Gotta love the transfer windows and their bullshit rumours - take dembele out of that list and the rest are 2nd and 3rd rate shit :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

Dunno anything about this guy but we need a centre back and he is cheap so probably more lazy journalism at play again

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... oli-lille/

Our last signing from lille has been a bit shit, so that wouldnt bode well :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

The paper rags havent quite grasped the concept that a transfer deal is never a "shock" when they are suggesting it ages beforehand :roll:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12222563 ... ford-raya/

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

augie wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:19 pm
A 4 man shortlist to replace auba

1. Dembele (from Lyon) - have advocated signing him for last 2 years

2. Jiminez (wolves) - He is doing well but I just dont see him as a big club striker but I dunno why

3. Maxim (newcastle) - yeah right :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

4. depay (lyon) - :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: he can fcuk right off

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/12222090 ... ubameyang/

Gotta love the transfer windows and their bullshit rumours - take dembele out of that list and the rest are 2nd and 3rd rate shit :roll:
Augie you do realise that 2nd and 3rd rate is EXACTLY where our club is now, and has been for probably a decade now. Some of our supporters need to take off the nostalgia glasses and smell the coffee.

We are no longer the draw we were, potentially no European football, and even it if we do it is the subpar Europa League, Novice coach, poor squad, and limited funds. The only way we could pull in top class talent is with massive unaffordable deals and those are not coming. If we lose PEA as well then we are royally and truly screwed.

Keeping hold of our young talent is probably the only thing we have going for us and if we have a poor season next year then that may become next to impossible. No matter how much we loathe the idea of Arteta being our coach we have to hope he performs a miracle next season or our wilderness years will become akin to Spuds or Everton.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Remember when we used to talk about 1 or 2 key players needed.....and got frustrated when it never happened

These days I think where would you start?

We haven't got a right back worthy of the name unless you really think converted winger Ballerina Bellerin and the Saints cast off count. Perhaps we could try and fail playing Maitland Niles there for the 50th time

As for centre halves where to start?

Next up, we have the gormless Swiss prick as our first choice CDM, the Real Waster on loan and Douzi and Torriera about to be fucked off by the super coach. What a mess

Move a bit further up the field and try to find a midfielder capable of scoring even six goals a season. Not Ozil, not Willock, not Smith Rowe...

Then look out wide. Saka, maybe. Pepe? ffs

Up top if Auba leaves we might as well pack up

Honestly 100m couldn't get this bunch of limpdicks back in the CL unless you adopt a totally different approach- a more pragmatic, defence first one. Trying to play Liverpool/City football with these stiffs is going to be the death of us

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:30 pm

Honestly 100m couldn't get this bunch of limpdicks back in the CL unless you adopt a totally different approach- a more pragmatic, defence first one. Trying to play Liverpool/City football with these stiffs is going to be the death of us
SteveO being brutally honest i'm not sure even £250M would get us challenging for Champions League spots never mind the title, i genuinely think we are that poor, even with a decent coach we'd need that much for a full rebuild and to be able to attract the level of talent (reality meaning we'd have to spend well above the odds to attract them).

We said it for long enough during the quest to get rid of Wenger it was never going to be enough if Wiggy stayed in place and i think beyond a shadow of a doubt Arteta's appointment proves that. Personally i'm not as down on him as you and Augie purely because i see it from a human perspective, he probably knows it is too big an appointment for him at his current experience and ability but lets be honest who in their right mind would pass up the opportunity of a lifetime like he has been handed.

All the modern bullshit that he should never have taken the job if he didn't think he'd manage is just media bollocks and reminds me of the Wengerism 'if they gave me £100M i'd hand it back', you have to have a certain self-delusion to even contemplate being a Premier League coach because so many have failed to be successful your odds are slim to say the least but you must have a certain amount of belief to take on the job even if it is misplaced.

Anyway on players we are probably, even with the additions made by Emery, actually in a worse place than when Wenger left unbelievably. I can probably name 10-15 players off the bat i'd have out the door tomorrow without breaking sweat:

Ozil - All been said before
Mustafi - All been said before
Xhaka - All been said before
Willock - Never going to make it, Crystal Palace level at best
AMN - As above
Kolasinac - All been said before
Luiz - All been said before, was never great and is past his best now
Pepe - Biggest waste of £72M in Premier League history
Nelson - Not good enough loan or get rid
Bellerin -Not even fast any more
Torriera - Hasn't settled and seems to be struggling to regain any form
Guendozi - Not the player people think he is and wont become it
Ceballos - Not a replacement for Ozil when he was at his best
Nketiah - Not good enough, at best he needs to be out on loan again

I know some will disagree with certain names on that list and some would add others but that is 14 players and that is a damning indictment of what the club has put together :banghead:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:44 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:30 pm

SteveO being brutally honest i'm not sure even £250M would get us challenging for Champions League spots never mind the title, i genuinely think we are that poor, even with a decent coach we'd need that much for a full rebuild and to be able to attract the level of talent (reality meaning we'd have to spend well above the odds to attract them).

We said it for long enough during the quest to get rid of Wenger it was never going to be enough if Wiggy stayed in place and i think beyond a shadow of a doubt Arteta's appointment proves that. Personally i'm not as down on him as you and Augie purely because i see it from a human perspective, he probably knows it is too big an appointment for him at his current experience and ability but lets be honest who in their right mind would pass up the opportunity of a lifetime like he has been handed.

All the modern bullshit that he should never have taken the job if he didn't think he'd manage is just media bollocks and reminds me of the Wengerism 'if they gave me £100M i'd hand it back', you have to have a certain self-delusion to even contemplate being a Premier League coach because so many have failed to be successful your odds are slim to say the least but you must have a certain amount of belief to take on the job even if it is misplaced.

Anyway on players we are probably, even with the additions made by Emery, actually in a worse place than when Wenger left unbelievably. I can probably name 10-15 players off the bat i'd have out the door tomorrow without breaking sweat:

Ozil - All been said before
Mustafi - All been said before
Xhaka - All been said before
Willock - Never going to make it, Crystal Palace level at best
AMN - As above
Kolasinac - All been said before
Luiz - All been said before, was never great and is past his best now
Pepe - Biggest waste of £72M in Premier League history
Nelson - Not good enough loan or get rid
Bellerin -Not even fast any more
Torriera - Hasn't settled and seems to be struggling to regain any form
Guendozi - Not the player people think he is and wont become it
Ceballos - Not a replacement for Ozil when he was at his best
Nketiah - Not good enough, at best he needs to be out on loan again

I know some will disagree with certain names on that list and some would add others but that is 14 players and that is a damning indictment of what the club has put together :banghead:
I don't disagree with any of the names on the list. It's a shame Torreira and Guendouzi are on it because if you asked me for 2 players names who could make it, it would be those two....but it isnt happening for either right now. Remember we also have Elneny coming back! I'd like to think Smith Rowe could make it but the next season will tell us if he really can make the step up.

I dont blame Arteta for taking the job- wouldn't any of us if offered the chance?

My main point is that the board need to come to the realisation that we are now a mid table team with a lower mid table transfer budget. However we do have a significantly bigger wage budget than the likes of Burnley and Sheffield United who are our closest rivals in the table, and whose approach first and foremost is built on being hard to beat. People would knock the likes of Egan, Mee and Tarkowski as being limited players but honest to God I would have any of them ahead of our first choice defenders right now

For me it is time for a modern day GG to step forward. George wasnt scared to get rid of the likes of Rix, Sansom, Anderson, Mariner, Nicholas and a host of others in favour of hungry, less fashionable players from lower divisions and smaller clubs and blend them with talented youth. All I see this prick doing is engaging clowns like Mustafi and Xhaka. Are we really saying that our academy can not produce a better CB than Mustafi or fucking Kolasinac. If that is the case then let our entire fucking scouting network and academy coaches leave too - shameful. Likewise is there not a Mee or a Dunk that a club like us could afford and make us tougher to beat

For me the club is wedded to this nonsense of still trying to play "the Arsenal way" - a way that was last successful 16 years ago. They've appointed a manager to carry that on. Its not his fault. We are light years behind but too proud and too snobbish to admit that an entirely different strategy needs to be adopted. If Arteta gets the boot, would we ever go for a Wilder or Dyche type? Of course we wouldn't- we would go for some fucking makeweight like Roberto Martinez to try and play the 'Arsenal way' on a 30m budget and starting from mid table, trying to compete with City and Liverpool

They call it "breaking the cycle" but I dont see anyone with a football brain on the board capable of doing it

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Forgot about Mhikitaryan :oops: Although in reality that isnt hard :rubchin:

SteveO in principle all that you say is viable but in reality it all depends on whether we want to be a club at the top or in midtable, there is a reason the clubs you mention are where they are, would our supporters, our sponsors, our media partners etc etc accept us consistently sitting mid-table.

When Leicester won the league it was a fluke, an anomaly in the grand scheme of things. No other club outside the top 6 richest in England have come near the title in how many seasons? Football as I have said many times is no longer a sport it is a business, it is structured to ensure the maximum amount of finances flow through it at the top, to stay at the top requires a significant amount of money, this is a deliberate action by the wealthiest clubs to ensure they attract the largest amount of money to themselves and keep as much of it away from anyone else as possible.

A Sean Dyche or similar would without a doubt steady the ship, but it would be steadied where it is, he is not a 'talking head' manager, he is not deemed cutting edge and likely to attract big finance or the best players therefore there is less value. Arguably Arteta is a better candidate because he is a novelty and 'low risk' exactly because he is a novice. If he fucks it up he is easily replaceable if he does well he attracts new money and potentially better players.

We on here are naive, we still want football to be the football we all remember from the 70s, 80s and even early 90s but nowadays it is a money driven, financial monstrosity, money begets money as they say. Sport and sportsmanship has little to do with it in the current era, a clear out like GG had is an impossibility because the financial implications go way beyond the individual player, they involve both corporate and personal sponsorship deals, marketing deals etc etc, many of which aren't just linked to the badge but also to the players with the badge on the shirt.

The reason the Burnleys of the world sit in midtable mediocrity is because they can not afford to attract the best players and therefore they also cannot attract the huge financial deals to be able to afford the best players in the first place which would then have the knock on effect of attracting more finance and round and round the carousel goes.

Chavksi and Shitty only sit where they are because of massive external investment without it do you think either club could have risen to the top the way they both did, not a chance. The only viable solution to Arsenal's current woes is a fluke like Leicester had or massive external financial investment by the owner..........we know which is more likely :rubchin:
Last edited by GoonerMuzz on Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

£100million? £250million? :?:

If only it were so little!

Stupid Teeth spent £500million to get that victims* team to win the PL and even then he was steeped in luck with VAR and Refs cheating for him, playing in one of the poorest weakest PL seasons on record, and Hipster Pep having an off year with the Arab plaything citeh.

We would need to spend £500million just to get us into the top 4, never mind competing for the title!

We are now 16 years into a mouser* style 30 year title hiatus - unless the wig-peado fucks off and we get proper pimped by a rich Arab or Olygarch that is so minted he uses money as toilet paper. And we all know that ain't happening anytime soon. :x

The future is fucking grim. :(