ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:36 am
Forgot about Mhikitaryan :oops: Although in reality that isnt hard :rubchin:
I'd often forget about him when he was on the pitch. :lol: :roll:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:39 am
£100million? £250million? :?:

If only it were so little!

Stupid Teeth spent £500million to get that victims* team to win the PL and even then he was steeped in luck with VAR and Refs cheating for him, playing in one of the poorest weakest PL seasons on record, and Hipster Pep having an off year with the Arab plaything citeh.

We would need to spend £500million just to get us into the top 4, never mind competing for the title!

We are now 16 years into a mouser* style 30 year title hiatus - unless the wig-peado fucks off and we get proper pimped by a rich Arab or Olygarch that is so minted he uses money as toilet paper. And we all know that ain't happening anytime soon. :x

The future is fucking grim. :(
You bloody mods cant read, I swear to God begorah, if you read it again I said £250M to even attempt to challenge for top four, and I was being conservative :roll: :wink:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:24 pm
Dunno anything about this guy but we need a centre back and he is cheap so probably more lazy journalism at play again

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... oli-lille/

Our last signing from lille has been a bit shit, so that wouldnt bode well :wink:

And apart from Pepe, Gervinho came from Lille !!! Dear old Wenger was constantly monitoring Hazard (apparently), but let him go to Chelsea, so that we could outflank the Chavs and sign the real superstar. :(

Perhaps we should give Lille the ol' bodyswerve, as they seem to see us coming. When we handed over 72 million for Pepe, they must have literally ran down the road with it as fast as they could, pissing themselves laughing all the way.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:30 pm
Remember when we used to talk about 1 or 2 key players needed.....and got frustrated when it never happened

These days I think where would you start?

We haven't got a right back worthy of the name unless you really think converted winger Ballerina Bellerin and the Saints cast off count. Perhaps we could try and fail playing Maitland Niles there for the 50th time

As for centre halves where to start?

Next up, we have the gormless Swiss prick as our first choice CDM, the Real Waster on loan and Douzi and Torriera about to be fucked off by the super coach. What a mess

Move a bit further up the field and try to find a midfielder capable of scoring even six goals a season. Not Ozil, not Willock, not Smith Rowe...

Then look out wide. Saka, maybe. Pepe? ffs

Up top if Auba leaves we might as well pack up

Honestly 100m couldn't get this bunch of limpdicks back in the CL unless you adopt a totally different approach- a more pragmatic, defence first one. Trying to play Liverpool/City football with these stiffs is going to be the death of us

I agree with this and also most of what Muzz has written. The Guendouzi / Torreira situation is intriguing, but we'll probably never know the truth.

The one guy that nobody has mentioned is the player that I'd keep above all others at the club and that is Martinelli. In my opinion, he is the real deal and the best prospect I've seen at the club for years, but once again, it appears that something has gone on behind the scenes and that he's not in favour. I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but I've a nagging feeling that we'll lose him soon and he'll become a star somewhere else....because mark my words, a star he will be.

A few days ago, someone listed somewhere on the forum, the players that they'd like to see us get shot of (as SteveO and Muzz have done above) and it struck me that if we outed all the dross at the club, we'd literally have fucking trouble fielding a team !!

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

On the bright side we seem to have two decent keepers for the first time in a long time :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:51 pm
On the bright side we seem to have two decent keepers for the first time in a long time :wink:

Can either of them play centre half ? :rubchin: :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:44 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:30 pm

Honestly 100m couldn't get this bunch of limpdicks back in the CL unless you adopt a totally different approach- a more pragmatic, defence first one. Trying to play Liverpool/City football with these stiffs is going to be the death of us
SteveO being brutally honest i'm not sure even £250M would get us challenging for Champions League spots never mind the title, i genuinely think we are that poor, even with a decent coach we'd need that much for a full rebuild and to be able to attract the level of talent (reality meaning we'd have to spend well above the odds to attract them).

We said it for long enough during the quest to get rid of Wenger it was never going to be enough if Wiggy stayed in place and i think beyond a shadow of a doubt Arteta's appointment proves that. Personally i'm not as down on him as you and Augie purely because i see it from a human perspective, he probably knows it is too big an appointment for him at his current experience and ability but lets be honest who in their right mind would pass up the opportunity of a lifetime like he has been handed.

All the modern bullshit that he should never have taken the job if he didn't think he'd manage is just media bollocks and reminds me of the Wengerism 'if they gave me £100M i'd hand it back', you have to have a certain self-delusion to even contemplate being a Premier League coach because so many have failed to be successful your odds are slim to say the least but you must have a certain amount of belief to take on the job even if it is misplaced.

Anyway on players we are probably, even with the additions made by Emery, actually in a worse place than when Wenger left unbelievably. I can probably name 10-15 players off the bat i'd have out the door tomorrow without breaking sweat:

Ozil - All been said before
Mustafi - All been said before
Xhaka - All been said before
Willock - Never going to make it, Crystal Palace level at best
AMN - As above
Kolasinac - All been said before
Luiz - All been said before, was never great and is past his best now
Pepe - Biggest waste of £72M in Premier League history
Nelson - Not good enough loan or get rid
Bellerin -Not even fast any more
Torriera - Hasn't settled and seems to be struggling to regain any form
Guendozi - Not the player people think he is and wont become it
Ceballos - Not a replacement for Ozil when he was at his best
Nketiah - Not good enough, at best he needs to be out on loan again

I know some will disagree with certain names on that list and some would add others but that is 14 players and that is a damning indictment of what the club has put together :banghead:

That is all well and good muzz, but you also said this in an earlier post

"Keeping hold of our young talent is probably the only thing we have going for us"

Whether people like to admit it or accept it yet, arteta does not seem to be interested in that policy - I dont care that rob holding isnt the next maldini, I do care that he is being continually cast aside in favour of stupid (mustafi) and stupider (kolasniac) and that has to be telling him that he has no future under arteta. In the last few games he has even been playing Tierney at centre back ahead of him - I love Tierney as a player, and I know he has been doing ok there, but he is a left full ffs and is being played out of position instead of holding and sokratis :roll:
A lot of fans are writing off maitland-niles, nelson, guendouzi etc as not good enough and they want rid, and while I dont agree with them right now, I will argue with total conviction that even if they should be sold they should be behind mustafi, xhaka, kolasniac etc on the "out the door list". A manager committed to a youth policy would recognise that getting rid of the older not good enough players first should be a no brainer because they cant be any kind of good influence on younger players, but this summer will show that arteta does not feel that way. Sometime in the very near future a light bulb will come on in a lot of people's heads and they will see arteta for what he is ...... a facilitator for the older more outspoken but absolute shit players, at the expense of younger players who MIGHT be moulded into good players with patience and proper coaching

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

augie wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:09 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:51 pm

Can either of them play centre half ? :rubchin: :wink:
All we need is a rule change to be allowed to field both at the same time and we would be in with a chance...

Of top 6

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Hang on Augie, you say that Arteta doesnt seem interested in young talent but correct me if I'm wrong but Saka, Nketiah, Willock, Pepe and Nelson (less so) have all had fairly regular game time under him. Martinelli is injured so we have no way of knowing how much he would have played, in fact Guendozi seems to be the one youngster who has been fully frozen out.

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:02 pm
Hang on Augie, you say that Arteta doesnt seem interested in young talent but correct me if I'm wrong but Saka, Nketiah, Willock, Pepe and Nelson (less so) have all had fairly regular game time under him. Martinelli is injured so we have no way of knowing how much he would have played, in fact Guendozi seems to be the one youngster who has been fully frozen out.

Would you agree that maitland-niles and guendouzi are certain departures this summer, and that holding and nelson could go too ?

How much game time has saka got in last 4 games ? Minimal I'd say.

Martinelli got zero game time in first 2 games after restart - two of the worst performances of the season and yet he couldnt get even 5 seconds on the pitch

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:14 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Would you agree that maitland-niles and guendouzi are certain departures this summer, and that holding and nelson could go too ?

Martinelli got zero game time in first 2 games after restart - two of the worst performances of the season and yet he couldnt get even 5 seconds on the pitch
I'm PRAYING that AMN and Willock and Nelson all go. They are all pubbers. All shit. And AMN doing one thing right every fifth game does not mean he has "potential". He's as shit as the others. Fuck them. :roll:

You are reading waaaay too much into the Martinelli thing augie. Maybe just maybe Arteta realises Martinelli is the ONLY young player we have with a future at the top level and was trying to ease him in? Then he got injured. That was just bad luck.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:50 pm
augie wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

I'm PRAYING that AMN and Willock and Nelson all go. They are all pubbers. All shit. And AMN doing one thing right every fifth game does not mean he has "potential". He's as shit as the others. Fuck them. :roll:

You are reading waaaay too much into the Martinelli thing augie. Maybe just maybe Arteta realises Martinelli is the ONLY young player we have with a future at the top level and was trying to ease him in? Then he got injured. That was just bad luck.

Hmmmm....I'm not so sure DB. I can't shake the feeling that the boy realises the crap he's surrounded by and the circus he's joined and wants out. It seems to be Arteta's style to freeze out any dissenters, so if he's made concerns clear, then MA may have sidelined him.

All specuIation on my part, of course, but things weren't adding up even before his injury. He'd slipped behind Saka, Willock and Nelson in the reckoning and based on his displays, that made no sense whatsoever.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, because he's far and away the brightest talent we have.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

You have a decision in the summer - you have to pick one of these only

If one of these players was to be sold in the summer, would you prefer to sell xhaka or maitland-niles ? If you say maitland-niles then you mod job and all the perks that come with it, should be removed on the spot

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:30 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

If one of these players was to be sold in the summer, would you prefer to sell xhaka or maitland-niles ? If you say maitland-niles then you mod job and all the perks that come with it, should be removed on the spot

If he says Maitland-Niles, Augie, then the Xhaka detractor poll is well and truly over !!

:lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:30 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

:lol:

If it meant never seeing Xhakatard in an Arsenal jersey ever again I'd make AMN captain and sign him for life. And bring back Comedy Iwobi. :lol: