ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
nut flush gooner

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by nut flush gooner »

Midz wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:40 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:05 pm
Dani Ceballos has rejoined us for a second successive season-long loan from Real Madrid!
If we'd signed him he'd be halfway through his contract after 2 years. Can't say i'm too excited about him. He's ok but nothing special.
https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... kel-arteta

At times I do think people on this forum miss the bigger picture. These stats are telling.

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:19 pm
Midz wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:
Dani Ceballos has rejoined us for a second successive season-long loan from Real Madrid!
If we'd signed him he'd be halfway through his contract after 2 years. Can't say i'm too excited about him. He's ok but nothing special.

At times I do think people on this forum miss the bigger picture. These stats are telling.
They are. I'm very pleased he's coming back.

augie

Post by augie »

Red Snapper wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:25 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Midz wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

I'm indifferent about him tbh - his performance in the cup final pissed me off cos I felt it was sneaky crafty. He tried to make it look like he was working and tackling hard, but in reality they were what I would call "soft runs" - he would never really tackle or actually win the ball, and when one of the chav players went to dribble by him he would try to tackle/pull/push with his arms like a big sissy :roll: If you are playing alongside the swiss turd, you sure as shit better be able to win your own ball, and ceballos cant

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:43 am
Red Snapper wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:25 pm
nut flush gooner wrote:
Midz wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

I'm indifferent about him tbh - his performance in the cup final pissed me off cos I felt it was sneaky crafty. He tried to make it look like he was working and tackling hard, but in reality they were what I would call "soft runs" - he would never really tackle or actually win the ball, and when one of the chav players went to dribble by him he would try to tackle/pull/push with his arms like a big sissy :roll: If you are playing alongside the swiss turd, you sure as shit better be able to win your own ball, and ceballos cant
I'm pleased he's back. He took a while to settle into the league and started to show his quality more regularly after the re-start. With players like him the second season in the premier league is always more telling of his attributes. Don't know whether its his build but he reminds me of benayoun, a player grossly underused by wenger. The fact Danny Murphy, who really hates Arsenal, gave him MOTM in the cup final speaks volumes as normally he'll give it to anyone but an Arsenal player. I seem to remember him nominating he referee as MOTM before an Arsenal player.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:06 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:59 pm
augie wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:16 am
The auba contract situation has gone very quiet :rubchin: :anyminute: :asleep_at_work:
Whilst I want him to sign too, maybe we are forgetting that he will be with us this season as he has entered into the last year of his contract and may decide his future when the team's future under Arteta is a lot clearer. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear confirmation or non-confirmation until January 2021. I'll be very very surprised if he left in this window.

IF he refuses to sign a new contract before the end of this month, then the club should sell him if they get an offer of £35m+. Of course the suggestion of doing so will create an outcry but the reality is that we havent got two pennies to rub together, and certainly cant afford to turn down a significant bid if it means that he will walk for free next summer. This rebuild isnt going to be done in one season by arteta or any other manager for that matter, so we need to stop being fixated on this season and how selling him would affect it, and instead focus on how impossible it will be to replace him next summer when we dont have money to do so
That's crazy talk. If we've got no money how do we replace him? £35m is nothing for a player who has delivered 25+ goals in last two seasons. I'd keep him and let him walk away for free, giving us a year to find a replacement. Given that chelski seem to be buying up all the young talented strikers. It may take a year to get someone in. Also, we do have Martinelli that could be our main striker by that time. The next year will give him time to recover and get back in the team.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

MegaGooner wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:12 pm
I for one wouldn't mind Guendousi(sp) staying. Am I the only person thinking that there's some talent there but for a youngster he's trying to do so much. Especially trying to carry Xhaka.
He has some talent but he's clearly pissed off Arteta to be left out as much as he has. All offers for him have gone quiet so there isn't too much demand for him. If West ham or newcastle haven't made a bid for him he can't be as good as you think he is.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:30 pm
augie wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:06 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:59 pm
augie wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:16 am
The auba contract situation has gone very quiet :rubchin: :anyminute: :asleep_at_work:
Whilst I want him to sign too, maybe we are forgetting that he will be with us this season as he has entered into the last year of his contract and may decide his future when the team's future under Arteta is a lot clearer. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear confirmation or non-confirmation until January 2021. I'll be very very surprised if he left in this window.

IF he refuses to sign a new contract before the end of this month, then the club should sell him if they get an offer of £35m+. Of course the suggestion of doing so will create an outcry but the reality is that we havent got two pennies to rub together, and certainly cant afford to turn down a significant bid if it means that he will walk for free next summer. This rebuild isnt going to be done in one season by arteta or any other manager for that matter, so we need to stop being fixated on this season and how selling him would affect it, and instead focus on how impossible it will be to replace him next summer when we dont have money to do so
That's crazy talk. If we've got no money how do we replace him? £35m is nothing for a player who has delivered 25+ goals in last two seasons. I'd keep him and let him walk away for free, giving us a year to find a replacement. Given that chelski seem to be buying up all the young talented strikers. It may take a year to get someone in. Also, we do have Martinelli that could be our main striker by that time. The next year will give him time to recover and get back in the team.

It's kinda crazy talk insofar as it seems unimaginable to have to let Auba go for that kind of money but remember the last time we ran down a contract in that manner we ended up getting the armenian pussy :cry:

Much as I would hate to see Auba go I would rather have a wedge of cash to go towards a new striker than end up with fu.ck all at the end of next season or even worse an armenian pussy mark 2. That said, I remain optimistic he will sign a new deal and have a hunch that there is a midfielder still to arrive which will do the trick.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I'm indifferent to the fate of Guendozi, he is for me at least, a player who flatters to deceive, go back and read the threads of some of the games he played in and he is barely mentioned, others he is mentioned positively and yet others negatively. He had a very good start under Emery then faded away for the second half his first season and then never got going under Emery in his second. Whatever happened towards the end of Emery's reign then under Freddie and Arteta it is worrying that considering how bad our midfield is he couldn't break into it fully.

On Torriera I'd class him well above any other defensive midfielder we have however if it hasnt happened for him after two years and he is not settled in London then he should be allowed to leave with our blessing and no recriminations towards him or the club, some people just dont settle in a new place and no matter what you do they never will. People can blame Arteta all they want but where Torriera had a good first season he never seemed really settled under Emery and did not start consistently for varying reasons.

If we are rebuilding and neither player is settled or a factor in the Coaches plans then people should accept that and allow them to be moved on, christ we have enough shit we cant get rid of without pissing off a couple of players who could make a career for themselves elsewhere and allow us to free up some wages as well as transfer funds.

Seems to me some people are finding it difficult to buy into Arteta for the strangest of reasons and are clutching at any reason to keep their antipathy towards him going. There is another month until the transfer window closes so cross everything that not only will players not wanted/wanting to be here for whatever reason go but others who are happy to sit on their arse and do nothing to earn their wages can be shown the door too.

One thing I think we can be sure of is that Edu and Arteta seem to have some sort of plan, something I never felt we had under latter day Wenger and something I never could discern exactly what it was under Emery. IF we can have a decent season this year then I think next summer may see a very different Arsenal because I dont think any of the dross will be here come the start of the 21/22 season and finally we may be rid of the last remnants of Wenger's poisonous legacy :rubchin:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:21 pm
I'm indifferent to the fate of Guendozi, he is for me at least, a player who flatters to deceive, go back and read the threads of some of the games he played in and he is barely mentioned, others he is mentioned positively and yet others negatively. He had a very good start under Emery then faded away for the second half his first season and then never got going under Emery in his second. Whatever happened towards the end of Emery's reign then under Freddie and Arteta it is worrying that considering how bad our midfield is he couldn't break into it fully.

On Torriera I'd class him well above any other defensive midfielder we have however if it hasnt happened for him after two years and he is not settled in London then he should be allowed to leave with our blessing and no recriminations towards him or the club, some people just dont settle in a new place and no matter what you do they never will. People can blame Arteta all they want but where Torriera had a good first season he never seemed really settled under Emery and did not start consistently for varying reasons.

If we are rebuilding and neither player is settled or a factor in the Coaches plans then people should accept that and allow them to be moved on, christ we have enough shit we cant get rid of without pissing off a couple of players who could make a career for themselves elsewhere and allow us to free up some wages as well as transfer funds.

Seems to me some people are finding it difficult to buy into Arteta for the strangest of reasons and are clutching at any reason to keep their antipathy towards him going. There is another month until the transfer window closes so cross everything that not only will players not wanted/wanting to be here for whatever reason go but others who are happy to sit on their arse and do nothing to earn their wages can be shown the door too.

One thing I think we can be sure of is that Edu and Arteta seem to have some sort of plan, something I never felt we had under latter day Wenger and something I never could discern exactly what it was under Emery. IF we can have a decent season this year then I think next summer may see a very different Arsenal because I dont think any of the dross will be here come the start of the 21/22 season and finally we may be rid of the last remnants of Wenger's poisonous legacy :rubchin:
Amen Muzz,

Can only hope that Arteta manges to shift a few out the door - Auba appears settled here, we need him as Martinelli as good as he could be is obviously out for some time.

With a new midfield battler in Partey, we could be so much more difficult to get at our defence, which in itself looks like it will be bigger, stronger, faster * 6 million dollar man.

I too think Arteta has a plan, and it may take another 2 windows to see it to its final stages.

Ozil taking home 3 decent players salaries is a huge drain on our resources.

I’m happy Ceballos has been re-signed, he was our best midfielder last season.

Torreira / Guendozi can both be offloaded as they were bit part players if we get Partey to be our permanent midfield enforcer.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Dani Ceballos has been able to play & train for Arsenal without quarantining because he’s already in the elite sportsman category as he had started pre-season with Real Madrid. [@SamiMokbel81_DM] #afc

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:21 pm

Excellent post , totally agree with this, I had hopes for Guendozi and Torreira but sometimes its better to cut your losses and start fresh. I'm confident we'll bring in another midfielder and Auba will sign , I hear rumours ESR will be loaned out again , I hope not as I see a real player there , it may be dependent on what type of midfielder we sign.
I still can't see how Ozil fits in anymore but we are stuck with him sadly , maybe Europa games and off the bench , personally I'd rather ESR get those games .

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Telegraph say Newcastle could make a move for Eddie Nketiah if #Arsenal decide to send him out on loan again. https://t.co/xlY0mbNNfn

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Not sure what to make of Ceballos signing for another season.....mostly because I can't really work out what he is supposed to be. When he first joined, he was all tricks and flicks and looked like he was being lined up as the Ramsey replacement......minus the goals. Now, he seems to be a CDM minus the strength and tackling ability. Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad player but I just think he looks like a squad filler as we're short of numbers in that position and there's no transfer fee involved. If he and Xhaka are being lined up as the two regular CDM starters then I see that as painfully short of the sort of quality we should be talking about for a team allegedly with ambitions of making it back into the CL. If the Partey deal happens and he becomes a rotational player in midfield who can play in a couple of positions then that's no bad thing

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:43 am
Not sure what to make of Ceballos signing for another season.....mostly because I can't really work out what he is supposed to be. When he first joined, he was all tricks and flicks and looked like he was being lined up as the Ramsey replacement......minus the goals. Now, he seems to be a CDM minus the strength and tackling ability. Don't get me wrong, he's not a bad player but I just think he looks like a squad filler as we're short of numbers in that position and there's no transfer fee involved. If he and Xhaka are being lined up as the two regular CDM starters then I see that as painfully short of the sort of quality we should be talking about for a team allegedly with ambitions of making it back into the CL. If the Partey deal happens and he becomes a rotational player in midfield who can play in a couple of positions then that's no bad thing

Without wishing to go all modern terminology, I used to think that ceballos was a modern "10", and then I thought that he lacked the creativity for that position and felt he was more of an "8", but having watched him in the cup final I now feel that he lacks the courage and strength to play that position either so I dont know what his position should be :? As many of us have said on many, many occasions, playing alongside xhaka will always cripple whatever poor c.unt is lining up beside him, but by the same token any player in the "8" position must be able to win some ball himself, and ceballos does not seem brave enough to do that imo

Smith-Rowe will be the interesting one for me this season - as it stands he is probably the other natural "10" we have in the squad so should see game time, but if we play will i am there or buy another player for the position, then we should send smith-rowe out on loan again this season (preferably to a premier league side though), cos otherwise his development will be badly stunted with us

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Ceballos isn't a bad player and actually started last season looking like he was a bit of a player.

But he is essentially an affordable squad filler which would be fine if he also wasn't just about our most capable midfielder. When your onloan squad filler is better than your own contracted midfielders you know you have a bit of a problem. This season under Arteta will tell us whether he is genuinely a longer term hope or not.