ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
g88ner

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by g88ner »

StuartL wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 8:35 pm
Midz wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 6:14 pm
It's true, I'm interested in who we get rid of not who we buy.

Our funds are pathetic and our management is total garbage so I don't expect any decent transfers in.
Guendouzi £12m
Xhaka. £13m
Eddie £15m
Bellerin £20m
William £10m
Torriera £15m
Willock £20m

Will get us Aarons and Buendia and Bissouma :barscarf:
Willian £10M :lol: :lol:

They only way he’s leaving Arsenal is if we give him away for free AND pay some of his wages! :roll:

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

augie wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:32 am
BobbyPires7 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:55 am
Players we are happy to let go:

Laca
Xhaka
Elneny
Guendouzi
Bellerin
Mari
Willock
Nelson
Torreira

Your happy to sell Willock?
You have to be kidding me, you mean the young lad who in the last 7 games scored more goals than our whole midfield combined all season?
yeah great suggestion that, you speak for yourself my friend, I think most sensible Arsenal fans would like him to stay for good reasons

augie

Post by augie »

I think most Gooners would sell him for anything over £20m-£25m.

He hasnt done well overall when he has played for us, and has never done enough to suggest that he is good enough to play for a top club. I was listening to a podcast the other day where a geordie fan suggested that maybe being a big player at a small club like newcastle suits him, instead of playing in a big club where he gets lost in the crowd :rubchin:

augie

Post by augie »

A11M11 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:17 am
He's just not suited to Premier League football, in a slower paced league like Italy or Spain he would be quite acceptable but none of the clubs there have a sou to spend so any offer will be minimal to say the least.
Arsenal generated nearly a quarter of their total income from matchday in the last last season before lockdown, which makes them vulnerable financially to an extended period without matches taking place. Apparently it stands at about !5% of it's income which could easily be converted to a transfer budget.
We are not alone , none of the clubs in Europe are immune to this apart from the oil rich , money laundering ones and they are not in the hunt for the likes of Xhaka ,Kolasinac , Guendouzi or Willian . So I would not be looking at shedding the players you want out , if we are to raise money from transfers we will have to sell the family silver.

If that's true (and I'm not doubting you btw), then it totally rips up the theory that since tv money came into the game, fans are largely irrelevant - even 15% of their income would be a big amount, much less 25%, so maybe the fans are more important than advertised.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I got it from a BBC article written by Kieron Maguire in May 2020 .

I'm just the piano player not the font of all knowledge.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:34 am

He hasnt done well overall when he has played for us, and has never done enough to suggest that he is good enough to play for a top club. I was listening to a podcast the other day where a geordie fan suggested that maybe being a big player at a small club like newcastle suits him, instead of playing in a big club where he gets lost in the crowd :rubchin:
Exactly. He's made something like 80 appearances and has looked gash in the majority bar one or two games where he looked average at best.

File under JET, Alliadiere, Bendtner, Frimpong, etc etc etc.

Take the money while he's flattering to deceive with the toon.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Arsenal are the best positioned club to sign Ajax goalkeeper Andre Onana, who is ‘almost certain’ to leave this summer. Arsenal are ‘not satisfied’ with Bernd Leno & see Onana as their #1 goalkeeper. [NOS] #afc https://t.co/UYdvyuL7kh

It is expected that the transfer for Onana ‘will be completed fairly quickly’ after the outcome of his doping appeal is known from the CAS on Wednesday. If the suspension is shortened, Onana will cost €6m-€9m, but if the penalty remains, Ajax will have to settle for €2m. [NOS] https://t.co/LJKe7Hel7f

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:08 pm
augie wrote:

Exactly. He's made something like 80 appearances and has looked gash in the majority bar one or two games where he looked average at best.

File under JET, Alliadiere, Bendtner, Frimpong, etc etc etc.

Take the money while he's flattering to deceive with the toon.
I'm torn on this one , young players can come good after a good loan spell , not sure we are set up for his style of play though , Arteta like more creative technical players. If his sale gets us a creative midfielder it's good business.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Re Willock , we need goals from centre midfield and he is turning out to be a bit Ramsey / Platt like . Offers little then scores.

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

augie wrote:

Come on augie!!
Have you never heard of players improving, especially when they are so young, just because he was average when playing for us doesnt mean he will stay average, young players grow, gain experience and develop, don`t write him off, he was picked consistently with the toon and showed he has got it, he scored against City, Liverpool and other top teams too, why would you write him off I don`t get it when we have the complete dross in centre mid at the minute?

augie

Post by augie »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:32 pm
augie wrote:

Come on augie!!
Have you never heard of players improving, especially when they are so young, just because he was average when playing for us doesnt mean he will stay average, young players grow, gain experience and develop, don`t write him off, he was picked consistently with the toon and showed he has got it, he scored against City, Liverpool and other top teams too, why would you write him off I don`t get it when we have the complete dross in centre mid at the minute?

I agree with your comment about the dross we currently have in midfield, and I accept your suggestion that young players can improve and develop, but even if we do accept that this is the case here (and I'm not buying into that yet), where does he fit in our team ? Personally I dont think that he is good enough to play the 8 position plus that would also curb his runs into the opposition penalty areas (which is his main strength), and I def dont think he is anywhere near good enough to take smith-rowe's position in the 10 (if that inept c.unt finally puts him back into that position :roll: ). MAYBE I would be willing to keep him as an alternative to smith-rowe if a change of tactic is needed, cos that would save us spunking away £40m+ on odegaard or benduia, but I honestly dont think that he is good enough

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
I was listening to a podcast the other day
Hipster :roll:

:wink:

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

Yes i agree he could save us a few quid by not signing Odegaard who I think is a 1 good game in 5 merchant, You dont need 2 defensive midfielders so I see him either as a partner to Partey arriving late in the box or back up to ESR in the number 10.
We dont have anything to lose do we by giving him a chance?
Players do improve and develop, I remember Pires being absolute shite in his first year with us but then he developed into one of the greats, imagine letting Willock leave now only to watch him become really good elsewhere?
Get the kids in next year, we have nothing to lose, we have a free shot with no Europe. They cant do any worse can they.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

augie wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:38 am
If that's true (and I'm not doubting you btw), then it totally rips up the theory that since tv money came into the game, fans are largely irrelevant - even 15% of their income would be a big amount, much less 25%, so maybe the fans are more important than advertised.
Match going revenue contributes a bigger % of total revenue at Arsenal (yep 25% is correct) than it does for any other team in the league.

augie

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:54 pm
augie wrote:
I was listening to a podcast the other day
Hipster :roll:

:wink:

I drive my 16 year old up to dublin for training 4 times a week at the mo and that is almost 90 mins each way - like every kid I know, the headphones are on straight away so any possibility of conversation is totally blown away, so I spend large parts of the journeys listening to either american football podcasts or football podcasts, and they truly are life savers sometimes