ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clummo99

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Clummo99 »

gooner265 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:15 pm
g88ner wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:43 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:48 pm
André Onana is a real target in the Arsenal list, confirmed as @nos reported today. ⚪️🔴 #AFC

- Arsenal are in direct contact wih his agents since January.
- Definitive suspension period will be key to understand Onana’s future.
- Impossible to bring Szczesny back, NO chance.
Anyone know if he’s better than Emi Martinez & Leno?

Aren’t African goalies generally shit? :rubchin:
Isn't the Chelsea goalie African ? Seems to be a clutch of them coming through now .
Mendy may play for Senegal but he's French really.

augie

Post by augie »

gooner265 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:15 pm
g88ner wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:43 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:48 pm
André Onana is a real target in the Arsenal list, confirmed as @nos reported today. ⚪️🔴 #AFC

- Arsenal are in direct contact wih his agents since January.
- Definitive suspension period will be key to understand Onana’s future.
- Impossible to bring Szczesny back, NO chance.
Anyone know if he’s better than Emi Martinez & Leno?

Aren’t African goalies generally shit? :rubchin:
Isn't the Chelsea goalie African ? Seems to be a clutch of them coming through now .

But he is shit so doesnt exactly disprove the african keepers are shit theory

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Putting aside Arteta's shall we say less than adequate Managerial ability for the moment I question the wisdom of those saying we don't need another 10 as we have ESR, what happens if he gets injured? We have a serious lack of creativity in midfield and I see ESR as a crucial player but a bit like with Tierney we lack an obvious back up in our squad.

I'm far from convinced on Odegaard but we definitely need an alternative there, and if the way ESR has been kicked around the pitch this season is anything to go by injury is likely at some point.

A second 10 may not be the highest priority but if funds are available then after the most immediate problems it definitely needs addressing :rubchin:

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:46 am
Putting aside Arteta's shall we say less than adequate Managerial ability for the moment I question the wisdom of those saying we don't need another 10 as we have ESR, what happens if he gets injured? We have a serious lack of creativity in midfield and I see ESR as a crucial player but a bit like with Tierney we lack an obvious back up in our squad.

I'm far from convinced on Odegaard but we definitely need an alternative there, and if the way ESR has been kicked around the pitch this season is anything to go by injury is likely at some point.

A second 10 may not be the highest priority but if funds are available then after the most immediate problems it definitely needs addressing :rubchin:
Agree with this , I love ESR and don't want to stifle him but believe he will play plenty of games if another creator comes in and will probably play together at times. If we dont and he gets a big injury we are really struggling for creativity. I do see a player in Odegaard but not totally convinced by him , maybe another season loan with an option to buy would be a good deal.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Talk of buying Odergaard at around £40 to £50 million....ridiculous

As for Sterling would hate to see him in an Arsenal jersey

No doubt Edu will get it right eventually :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:

Redarmy more or less makes the point I was making - yes by all means buy a back-up for smith-rowe for the 10 position, but you dont spend £40m-£50m on a back up player unless you have citeeh's financial budget. That tells me that the £40m-£50m signing will be first choice, and that is all well and good if you are signing a top quality/proven at this level type of player, but neither odegaard nor buendia are, and for me smith-rowe has proven more than both. I will also admit that my philosophy has always been that if the difference between two players is negligible, then I will always give preference to a younger or home grown player, and smith-rowe is both

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

augie wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:40 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Redarmy more or less makes the point I was making - yes by all means buy a back-up for smith-rowe for the 10 position, but you dont spend £40m-£50m on a back up player unless you have citeeh's financial budget. That tells me that the £40m-£50m signing will be first choice, and that is all well and good if you are signing a top quality/proven at this level type of player, but neither odegaard nor buendia are, and for me smith-rowe has proven more than both. I will also admit that my philosophy has always been that if the difference between two players is negligible, then I will always give preference to a younger or home grown player, and smith-rowe is both
Everything we have seen from ESR so far says he can be our man...stick with him

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:40 am

I don’t think we should have the mindset of finding a backup to Smith Rowe. This team desperately needs more creativity and goals in the first team, not more squad depth fodder :oops:

But that’s why we need to be smart and have versatile ball players in midfield. That way, you don’t “kill” Smith Rowe with one signing.

Aouar from Lyon would probably be comfortable as an 8 or 10 & Buendia is probably comfortable at 10 or in wide positions, so either of those players should be able to compliment Smith Rowe, rather than push him out.

I’m also convinced Smith-Rowe isn’t just a 10. He could easily play in a midfield 3 or even as an 8 if we developed him there. Same with Saka.

But I agree with your point... we need to be careful not to block Smith Rowe’s progress and that’s why I worry about signing Odegaard. Arteta likes him at 10 and we’ve seen that it’s pushed Smith Rowe to wide left... or the subs bench :?

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Surely by bringing in a more utility player you potentially push out Saka or Martinelli then, you can't have it both ways.

I completely agree those 3 should in current circumstances be what we build around but it is short sighted to think that none of them will have either injuries or dips in form throughout a season. People have argued we need a backup for Tierney but no one argues that will push him out.

In reality we need more creativity/supply from midfield above any other consideration so an 8 is probably what we need above all else but I have the feeling it might be the one thing we fail to get

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Not having a dig at anyone here. Well OK, maybe at augie.... :D :wink: But it seems to me that you guys are a leetle beet trapped in the past. :wink: And I've been guilty of it too I have to admit.

I'm not so sure not signing a player because it might impact a young player is valid anymore. That mantra pressumes the young player is being developed for a long spell at the club. This is the way it was when the likes of Adams, Rocastle, Merson, etc came through.

It ain't like that anymore. Most young players have no loyalty to the club and have parasite agents, marketers, and personal managers in their ear constantly pushing for that next move and it's incumbent signing on fee. Have tbh, I'm not too fucked either way anymore if we don't play the homegrown kids, because those homegrown kids will very likely be earning more money at the Whores or Madrid or citeh in a few seasons time.

I think the likes of Smith-Rowe etc should be made to sink or swim. The world doesn't owe these kids a living as a professional footballer. If we bring in competition for whichever role he is best suited to then fine, now go show us why you should be first choice. If they are good enough they will win that starting spot in the team.

And before anyone jumps in, vagina in hand, and screeches "but what about Martinelli??!!", I would view the Martinez-Lite / Martinelli situation as a separate issue, as Saka and Smith-Rowe have stepped up and they have been picked to play.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I was going to say the whole stifling young players sounds a bit Wengeresque to me but you put it much more prosaically DB

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

I’d say that if we don’t make progress next season, ESR, Saka, Tierney, Martinelli will be off. Next season is make or break in more ways than one.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Redarmy wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:04 am
Talk of buying Odergaard at around £40 to £50 million....ridiculous

As for Sterling would hate to see him in an Arsenal jersey

No doubt Edu will get it right eventually :roll:
No worry about that, then! We won't pay the money they'd want for him and he wouldn't want to come here.

Rather Sterling than that odious little crunt Lingard, though.

Onana looked alright in the CL the other year, don't know much about him to say yay or nay.

Buendia looks pretty good. I'd roll the dice on Ivan Toney too,

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

It's officially summer, lads- The Zaha transfer request has sprung. Let's kick off our shoes and watch the countless rumours fly in, AGAIN!. :roll:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... AGAIN.html

John F

Post by John F »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:48 pm
It's officially summer, lads- The Zaha transfer request has sprung. Let's kick off our shoes and watch the countless rumours fly in, AGAIN!. :roll:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... AGAIN.html
My favourite so far is Aston Villa are interested in Smith Rowe.If Sak a has a good tournament then the press will go into overdrive with links to other clubs.