ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by OneBardGooner »

Clummo99 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:20 pm
gooner265 wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:15 pm
g88ner wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:43 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:48 pm
André Onana is a real target in the Arsenal list, confirmed as @nos reported today. ⚪️🔴 #AFC

- Arsenal are in direct contact wih his agents since January.
- Definitive suspension period will be key to understand Onana’s future.
- Impossible to bring Szczesny back, NO chance.
Anyone know if he’s better than Emi Martinez & Leno?

Aren’t African goalies generally shit? :rubchin:
Isn't the Chelsea goalie African ? Seems to be a clutch of them coming through now .
Mendy may play for Senegal but he's French really.
Mendy's got a sister called Wendy and she's very very Bendy.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Arsenal have made an offer exceeding £30m for Emiliano Buendía. Reports, @CharlieWyett!

https://t.co/ZMig9caifR

wibble

Post by wibble »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:46 am
Putting aside Arteta's shall we say less than adequate Managerial ability for the moment I question the wisdom of those saying we don't need another 10 as we have ESR, what happens if he gets injured? We have a serious lack of creativity in midfield and I see ESR as a crucial player but a bit like with Tierney we lack an obvious back up in our squad.

I'm far from convinced on Odegaard but we definitely need an alternative there, and if the way ESR has been kicked around the pitch this season is anything to go by injury is likely at some point.

A second 10 may not be the highest priority but if funds are available then after the most immediate problems it definitely needs addressing :rubchin:

ESR as first choice and Willock as the backup?

I partly say that in jest but tbh I think I’d prefer that than spending a huge chunk of our presumably limited budget on odegaard and would rather we strengthened elsewhere (particularly a number 8/anything that stops xhaka being first pick).

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal have made their first bid for Emi Buendía in the region of £30m. Aston Villa have also made an approach with a similar offer.

With Getafe getting 20% of the final fee, Norwich look to be holding out for a bid closer to £40m.
[Football London] https://t.co/OpApQQEsUA

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:26 pm
Arsenal have made their first bid for Emi Buendía in the region of £30m. Aston Villa have also made an approach with a similar offer.

With Getafe getting 20% of the final fee, Norwich look to be holding out for a bid closer to £40m.
[Football London] https://t.co/OpApQQEsUA
That's him off to Villa then once he's spoken to his compatriot Emi Martinez :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:59 pm
Not having a dig at anyone here. Well OK, maybe at augie.... :D :wink: But it seems to me that you guys are a leetle beet trapped in the past. :wink: And I've been guilty of it too I have to admit.

I'm not so sure not signing a player because it might impact a young player is valid anymore. That mantra pressumes the young player is being developed for a long spell at the club. This is the way it was when the likes of Adams, Rocastle, Merson, etc came through.

It ain't like that anymore. Most young players have no loyalty to the club and have parasite agents, marketers, and personal managers in their ear constantly pushing for that next move and it's incumbent signing on fee. Have tbh, I'm not too fucked either way anymore if we don't play the homegrown kids, because those homegrown kids will very likely be earning more money at the Whores or Madrid or citeh in a few seasons time.

I think the likes of Smith-Rowe etc should be made to sink or swim. The world doesn't owe these kids a living as a professional footballer. If we bring in competition for whichever role he is best suited to then fine, now go show us why you should be first choice. If they are good enough they will win that starting spot in the team.

And before anyone jumps in, vagina in hand, and screeches "but what about Martinelli??!!", I would view the Martinez-Lite / Martinelli situation as a separate issue, as Saka and Smith-Rowe have stepped up and they have been picked to play.

Which again is a perfectly acceptable mindset IF we didnt have as many holes elsewhere that should be filled as a priority imo - as I have said before, I dont see the wisdom in having two strong players for some positions when we have no player of the required level for the 8 position and the right full position, and that is classic wenger management from his last decade in charge. Clubs of unlimited wealth like citeeh can go out and blow £30m-£40m on someone to challenge a player like smith-rowe cos they know that they will also address their other positions of need - we cant afford to do that

My preference for younger players to be given their chance is nothing to do with an expectation of long service at the club - I believe that a young player is usually hungrier and not as likely to be corrupted by money as a lot of the older players are. A young player has everything to prove, and is motivated to show people how good they are. If a young player wants to earn more money (through bigger wages or commercial deals), then they know that they have to produce on the pitch to open those doors. A young player that comes through the club academy will for the most part be more in tune with the ethos of the club and the expectations of the fans, plus their familiarity of english football , should make it easier to integrate them

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:07 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Not having a dig at anyone here. Well OK, maybe at augie.... :D :wink: But it seems to me that you guys are a leetle beet trapped in the past. :wink: And I've been guilty of it too I have to admit.

I'm not so sure not signing a player because it might impact a young player is valid anymore. That mantra pressumes the young player is being developed for a long spell at the club. This is the way it was when the likes of Adams, Rocastle, Merson, etc came through.

It ain't like that anymore. Most young players have no loyalty to the club and have parasite agents, marketers, and personal managers in their ear constantly pushing for that next move and it's incumbent signing on fee. Have tbh, I'm not too fucked either way anymore if we don't play the homegrown kids, because those homegrown kids will very likely be earning more money at the Whores or Madrid or citeh in a few seasons time.

I think the likes of Smith-Rowe etc should be made to sink or swim. The world doesn't owe these kids a living as a professional footballer. If we bring in competition for whichever role he is best suited to then fine, now go show us why you should be first choice. If they are good enough they will win that starting spot in the team.

And before anyone jumps in, vagina in hand, and screeches "but what about Martinelli??!!", I would view the Martinez-Lite / Martinelli situation as a separate issue, as Saka and Smith-Rowe have stepped up and they have been picked to play.

Which again is a perfectly acceptable mindset IF we didnt have as many holes elsewhere that should be filled as a priority imo - as I have said before, I dont see the wisdom in having two strong players for some positions when we have no player of the required level for the 8 position and the right full position, and that is classic wenger management from his last decade in charge. Clubs of unlimited wealth like citeeh can go out and blow £30m-£40m on someone to challenge a player like smith-rowe cos they know that they will also address their other positions of need - we cant afford to do that

My preference for younger players to be given their chance is nothing to do with an expectation of long service at the club - I believe that a young player is usually hungrier and not as likely to be corrupted by money as a lot of the older players are. A young player has everything to prove, and is motivated to show people how good they are. If a young player wants to earn more money (through bigger wages or commercial deals), then they know that they have to produce on the pitch to open those doors. A young player that comes through the club academy will for the most part be more in tune with the ethos of the club and the expectations of the fans, plus their familiarity of english football , should make it easier to integrate them
All nice in theory and I wish it was that way, but most of this generation of young players ooze entitlement and self obsessed greed. Also, these kids are now millionaires before they hit 20 and very often before they have won anything or proved anything on the pitch. Many of them don't need to prove anything to get wealthy and be deemed a "success".

Take Pillock as an example. He has proven to be ineffective and mostly useless over the course of 80 games. I think we can agree he has hardly set the world of football alight at Arsenal. But even a rudimentary Google on his contract and salary show him earning a minimum of £1m+ per year, with some media outlets saying it's as much as £2m a year. Of course none of those estimates are going to be 100% correct but you'd have to think, conservatively, it's at least a million a year. He's won nothing, achieved nothing, and yet he is a millionaire.

So many of these modern young fooblers, like many of the snowflake generation in general, don't judge success by trophies won, but rather by money accumulated and social media followers. :roll:

For me, I don't care anymore where they come from. Develop them, buy them in, whatever. At the end of the day they have no loyalty to the club and I feel no loyalty towards them. Tbh most of them come across as cùnts. :lol:

All I want is success for Arsenal. And tbh I find myself caring less and less about that as each year rolls by and the game gets worse and less enjoyable because of utter shit like VAR, the idiotic current offside rule, "characters" like Stupid Teeth, and the whole fucking wanky pc agenda shit that is forcing the utter garbage of the women's game down our throats. :censored:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:24 am
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

All nice in theory and I wish it was that way, but most of this generation of young players ooze entitlement and self obsessed greed. Also, these kids are now millionaires before they hit 20 and very often before they have won anything or proved anything on the pitch. Many of them don't need to prove anything to get wealthy and be deemed a "success".

Take Pillock as an example. He has proven to be ineffective and mostly useless over the course of 80 games. I think we can agree he has hardly set the world of football alight at Arsenal. But even a rudimentary Google on his contract and salary show him earning a minimum of £1m+ per year, with some media outlets saying it's as much as £2m a year. Of course none of those estimates are going to be 100% correct but you'd have to think, conservatively, it's at least a million a year. He's won nothing, achieved nothing, and yet he is a millionaire.

So many of these modern young fooblers, like many of the snowflake generation in general, don't judge success by trophies won, but rather by money accumulated and social media followers. :roll:

For me, I don't care anymore where they come from. Develop them, buy them in, whatever. At the end of the day they have no loyalty to the club and I feel no loyalty towards them. Tbh most of them come across as cùnts. :lol:

All I want is success for Arsenal. And tbh I find myself caring less and less about that as each year rolls by and the game gets worse and less enjoyable because of utter shit like VAR, the idiotic current offside rule, "characters" like Stupid Teeth, and the whole fucking wanky pc agenda shit that is forcing the utter garbage of the women's game down our throats. :censored:

In this team it is the younger lads and Tierney that seem to be most committed and working harder

For the record I was one of the few (I cant actually remember anyone else agreeing with me), that was 100% against var right from the start - I am sick of people making excuses and claiming that it isnt the system that is wrong and that it is the people running it, but for me the concept of getting every decision right is b.ullshit and leads to resentment. If players are allowed to make mistakes and not be able to have a "mulligan", then why are referee's expected to get every decision right ? If a ref makes an honest mistake I can accept that. Some people (mostly rodders :wink: ) are buying into the narrative that there is a var agenda against us - personally I would rather go back to the old system where we believed that refs had an agenda against us, cos at least back then we were able to enjoy a game without the stop starts, and celebrate a goal without some pr.ick drawing 100 lines on a computer monitor before saying that a guy's little finger is fractionally offside :roll: :evil: :evil:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:00 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

In this team it is the younger lads and Tierney that seem to be most committed and working harder

For the record I was one of the few (I cant actually remember anyone else agreeing with me), that was 100% against var right from the start - I am sick of people making excuses and claiming that it isnt the system that is wrong and that it is the people running it, but for me the concept of getting every decision right is b.ullshit and leads to resentment. If players are allowed to make mistakes and not be able to have a "mulligan", then why are referee's expected to get every decision right ? If a ref makes an honest mistake I can accept that. Some people (mostly rodders :wink: ) are buying into the narrative that there is a var agenda against us - personally I would rather go back to the old system where we believed that refs had an agenda against us, cos at least back then we were able to enjoy a game without the stop starts, and celebrate a goal without some pr.ick drawing 100 lines on a computer monitor before saying that a guy's little finger is fractionally offside :roll: :evil: :evil:
I can guarantee you I was against it from the start too buddy. 8)

Wednesday 12th June 2019 @ 5:51am I predicted exactly what would happen on the VAR thread. 8)

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Totally agree, it's ruined my enjoyment of the game , scrap the lot and just keep the goal line decision, happy to accept refs mistakes so we can celebrate goals again , its ruined the game.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Brighton midfielder Yves Bissouma is ‘mad’ about Arsenal & has told those close to him that a move to Arsenal is at the top of his list of priorities if the two clubs can reach an agreement. [@TheAFCBeII] #afc

Bissouma’s agents are in continuous communication with Arsenal & the player is following developments via text messages. There is no talk of an official bid yet. Personal terms have not been agreed yet, but the player’s requests are not expected to be an obstacle. [@TheAFCBeII]

The bell is the best source you can get , please make this happen.

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

I’ve never seen Buendia play but apparently he started every game this season on the right of the attack, not centrally?!

So is he a number 10 or not? :? Pepe and Saka (and Willian :roll: ) can play from the right so that’s not a priority.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

gooner265 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:55 am
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
augie wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Totally agree, it's ruined my enjoyment of the game , scrap the lot and just keep the goal line decision, happy to accept refs mistakes so we can celebrate goals again , its ruined the game.
The concept of VAR is a sound one if implemented correctly by the people responsible. Unfortunately it's a tool that has morphed into an enjoyment killing process. If it had stayed at "clear and obvious error" it would work fine but the way it is being used is far from that.

As someone recently said (can't recall who) if they have to view an incident from 15 different angles and draw lines on a screen then there's nothing clear and obvious about that.

That is the crux of the problem beyond doubt.

augie

Post by augie »

gooner265 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:57 am
Brighton midfielder Yves Bissouma is ‘mad’ about Arsenal & has told those close to him that a move to Arsenal is at the top of his list of priorities if the two clubs can reach an agreement. [@TheAFCBeII] #afc

Bissouma’s agents are in continuous communication with Arsenal & the player is following developments via text messages. There is no talk of an official bid yet. Personal terms have not been agreed yet, but the player’s requests are not expected to be an obstacle. [@TheAFCBeII]

In any other club the people making the decisions would look ahead and see that so far we are going to be missing auba, partey, pepe and elnenny for the african nations cup which is taking place from next january 6th until feb 6th, and then steer well away from signing another african player that will be gone to that tournament - in our club fcuk knows what they will do :roll:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:11 am
gooner265 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:57 am

In any other club the people making the decisions would look ahead and see that so far we are going to be missing auba, partey, pepe and elnenny for the african nations cup which is taking place from next january 6th until feb 6th, and then steer well away from signing another african player that will be gone to that tournament - in our club fcuk knows what they will do :roll:
Sorry mate but that's just not a criteria for signing a player or not. It's four weeks in two years at most for only four teams (the finalists and 3rd/4th playoff). All other players will be back sooner.

Also the last tournament was played in June/July in Egypt so it's not always a mid season event.

You don't discard being available for the rest of the time based on that.