ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Nos89 »

With Leno injury looking serious enough to rule him out the rest of this season Joe Hart on a free? I'd be happier with him in goal than Martinez. Sign him on a one year contract. He's still young enough to get back to his title and international standards.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:25 pm
With Leno injury looking serious enough to rule him out the rest of this season Joe Hart on a free? I'd be happier with him in goal than Martinez. Sign him on a one year contract. He's still young enough to get back to his title and international standards.

No slight on joe hart cos I think that he is far better than his rep currently stands (not top quality though), but you cant parachute him in ahead of martinez - it just wouldnt be right

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:28 am
Nos89 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:25 pm

No slight on joe hart cos I think that he is far better than his rep currently stands (not top quality though), but you cant parachute him in ahead of martinez - it just wouldnt be right
Fair point at least have him on back up and tie him in for a year as i still think Hart is a better keeper than Leno, even though their current form is at the opposite end of the scale.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:34 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:14 am
augie wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:05 pm
Life is full of little contradictions and I am going to contradict my own strategy here - I have spent weeks advocating going with a youth policy, and now I would break that and sign thiago silva :oops: . A team in desperate need of a quality centre back, and in need of someone to bring some winning experience to a young team, should look to bring in silva even if his best days are behind him.

I think you can spin this one along the lines of if we are even considering paying the 33 year old disaster that is David Luiz £120k per week for another season :shock: and apparently he wants a two year deal :roll: then paying a bit more for a quality 35 year old CB maybe isn't such a bad option. Still a sad situation to find ourselves in.

I see that Saliba cannot play for us before July but apparently after that he 'technically' could play. Might as well give him a try and see how he gets on.

Would signing a 35 year old centre back be a risky move and a sign of desperation ? Absolutely but that is where we are right now. I think we all know that mustafi and mavrapanos are not good enough, luiz is not a proper defender, and both chambers and holding are nowhere near convincing imo. I like sokratis as a centre back, but he isnt at the level which we should have, and that leaves a young centre back with no experience of playing outside france - Thiago Silva is an experienced winner who would bring some reassurance to guide saliba in his development, plus you would hope that he has some french language and would be able to communicate with him. For months now we have been linked to centre backs like upemancano (sp :oops: ) but I cant understand that cos I dont believe that we will have anywhere near that type of money to spend, plus we have several positions of need. Whatever small amount of business we do will be hugely dependent on what players leave and how much we can get for them, so signing a player like silva on a free might be a necessity. What really concerns me right now is that the players we want shot off most (mustafi, ozil and the armenian pussy) will only go out on loan and bring nothing to our transfer budget :roll:

I got widely lambasted last summer (and in the last window) for suggesting selling auba when we would have got upwards of £80m for him - contrast that to the rumoured £20m price tag now on him less than a year later :roll: Our negotiating position has been blown away and every club in the world will operate on a "lets offer fcuk all cos they will want to sell" plan. We kept him to get us into the champs league and we are nowhere near that target, so what have we benefited from keeping him an extra season. If we grabbed the £70m-£80m last summer we got have bought two good players in and strengthened the team overall - now if we take the £20m we wouldnt even be able to get a striker from the championship to replace him, much less a proven international quality striker

I'm not against the idea at all. When you think it through the best chance of giving Saliba a fair chance to make the grade in the PL is to put him in alongside a proper CB. Who wants to see him having to play alongside Luiz. As you say Silva should have a bit of the lingo too so that would certainly help. It does smack of desperation but what is the alternative. We are clearly not serious about paying £50M for a top CB.....the Luiz deal proves that, followed by Mari - it just isn't going to happen.

I can follow the logic of Auba but we seem to be totally incapable of planning ahead. Personally I was all for selling Laca when there was the interest for him from AM as we should have been playing Aubu through the middle from the word go supported by a pacey winger. The guy just never looks interested when played out wide.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

The contradictions from some on here baffle me.... Thiago Silva may have been a great player but at 35 I put him in the same book as Lichsteiner, quite a few of you waxed lyrical about how he'd come in and with all his experience put steel into the younger players, remember how well that went?

Players at that age seriously struggle with the pace in the PL these days, very few old players, especially those coming from slower paced leagues, can hack it in our league. We need experience but not players who are over the hill, we need CBs who can put in 90 mins every match, not 70 mins every other match . The other problem with older players is they tend to get more injuries, we've got enough youngsters who cant spend more than a few matches in defence without weeks out the last thing we need is veterans in the same boat.

Summer spending will be minimal and I wont be surprised to find the usual suspects still here next season along with the same old problems created by the same person. The whole idea of getting rid of Wenger and replacing him with multiple directors of 'whatever' hasn't worked but what it has done has deflect the blame away from the top again and dilute it, like them or loathe them the Wiggys are fucking excellent business men :banghead:

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:36 pm
The contradictions from some on here baffle me.... Thiago Silva may have been a great player but at 35 I put him in the same book as Lichsteiner, quite a few of you waxed lyrical about how he'd come in and with all his experience put steel into the younger players, remember how well that went?

Players at that age seriously struggle with the pace in the PL these days, very few old players, especially those coming from slower paced leagues, can hack it in our league. We need experience but not players who are over the hill, we need CBs who can put in 90 mins every match, not 70 mins every other match . The other problem with older players is they tend to get more injuries, we've got enough youngsters who cant spend more than a few matches in defence without weeks out the last thing we need is veterans in the same boat.

Summer spending will be minimal and I wont be surprised to find the usual suspects still here next season along with the same old problems created by the same person. The whole idea of getting rid of Wenger and replacing him with multiple directors of 'whatever' hasn't worked but what it has done has deflect the blame away from the top again and dilute it, like them or loathe them the Wiggys are fucking excellent business men :banghead:

1. Will a 35 year old Thiago Silva be any worse than luiz or mustafi ? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing time and again and expecting a different result, so surely it makes zero sense to continue with luiz and/or mustafi, and if you agree on that then you can surely accept that we have nothing to lose with signing silva

2. If we dont sign silva, then who can we buy within our price range cos, as I said above, sticking with those two fools would be madness

The idea of replacing wenger with multiple directors was, in my opinion at least, working until Sven Mislintat was pushed out in a power struggle - he was to my knowledge the brains behind most of our transfer business in emery's first season

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Mislintat is a great miss , things were progressing with him .Without him we appear to have become fodder for the world of super agents forcing their clients into us.
As for Tiago he may well come at cheap looking price but what wage would he want and how much does Raioli want .

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I wonder what Lewis Dunk's contract situation is like. I've rated him for the last two seasons and looks like just the defender we need at the back. A Stevie Bould kind of signing. I'd also make a cheeky bid for Milijoivic from Palace would also be a decent signing for us in the midfield. He always seems to pull palace out of a hole, especially in the last third of a season.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:37 am
I wonder what Lewis Dunk's contract situation is like. I've rated him for the last two seasons and looks like just the defender we need at the back. A Stevie Bould kind of signing. I'd also make a cheeky bid for Milijoivic from Palace would also be a decent signing for us in the midfield. He always seems to pull palace out of a hole, especially in the last third of a season.

I'd have no real issue with either tbh - I do feel at this stage that our core players need to be either british or a foreigner player that has played in the premier league for a few years and knows what it is all about.
Dunk, on our transfer budget, is probably a bit unrealistic - I know people will point at the Irish bias here, but I would be quite comfortable with shane duffy at centre back for us though. He isnt the top quality centre back that we all want, but the same time he would be the powerful no holds barred centre back that could be a perfect fit alongside the ball playing saliba. I heard a stat a few days ago saying that saliba hasnt committed a single foul (I suspect that is wrong and should be that he hasnt picked up any yellows) this season and that worries me tbh - my old manager said that a defender that doesnt pick up any yellow cards isnt making many tackles, and I do agree with that sentiment. If that is his style of play, then a big powerful physical partner like duffy (or dunk) would be a necessity to me, but again price will dictate what we can do here

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:37 am

Both are a fair shout but you're also talking about two guys who are 28/29 and are captains for their respective clubs. Both contracted to 2023. Good buys if you get them early doors but likely to be over priced when sold on - well they would be to us anyway.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to Sport, #Arsenal have asked about Barcelona goalkeeper Neto. The Gunners want to loan him with an option to buy. Barcelona, however, are only interested in a permanent transfer & want €20m. https://t.co/qeEPW3kZOR

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:05 pm
According to Sport, #Arsenal have asked about Barcelona goalkeeper Neto. The Gunners want to loan him with an option to buy. Barcelona, however, are only interested in a permanent transfer & want €20m. https://t.co/qeEPW3kZOR
Haven’t Chelsea got a washed up old has been we could buy :rubchin: for stupid money and put on a stupid contract ?

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Leno will be out for 6 weeks according to reports, his season over if so, but at least he should be back for start of next season

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Isn't it funny how our expectations have been reduced by years of poor transfer business and some well placed media comments about how little funds there are. We're still in the top 4 or 5 richest clubs in the UK and top 10 in the world, but the way people talk about us you'd think we were paupers :banghead:

Coronavirus has been an absolute godsend for our owners because yet again they'll be able to say there are limited funds available and it will be lapped up.

For all the years Wenger was messing around in the bargain bucket we rightly decried him, but it should actually mean there is significant funds available but even on here we now find ourselves 'doing a Wenger' when it comes to transfers, a club our size should be able to invest over £100M a year just from TV money before adding in out going player funds, even with Coronavirus funds shouldnt be a problem but I'd bet my annual wage it will be trotted out as an excuse at some point by the club :roll:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

David Luiz has signed a new contract with Arsenal. [@MarkyMBryans]