ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clummo99

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by Clummo99 »

BobbyPires7 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:12 pm
So we lost Martinez on the cheap for nothing then. Utter fucking clowns running our Club!
Yep. Would probably cost us most of the £20m we got for Emi for us to sign Ryan. :roll:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:53 pm
Arsenal are likely going to lose Bernd Leno this summer as he has informed Arsenal of his intention to leave the club this summer. [@LeGrove]
Just one point. He can inform of his intention all he likes but there's the small matter of his contract which still has 2 years to run. :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

falkirk goon wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:07 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:53 pm
Arsenal are likely going to lose Bernd Leno this summer as he has informed Arsenal of his intention to leave the club this summer. [@LeGrove]
Brilliant news if true 8) get him the fuck away from our club the useless butterwristed arsepiece that he is :barscarf: Get Ryan in the goals til the seasons end..he pishes (and shites) all over the top of Herr Ringhole 8)

Not as bad a keeper as some would have you believe, but by the same token he is not good enough either. IF this story is true, then he should be benched for the remainder of the season and play matt ryan instead

augie

Post by augie »

For the life of me I still cannot understand the adoration martinez still holds with some Gooners - no doubt he had a great 6 months with us before he left, but he was with us for a decade so are we supposed to forget the previous years when no club wanted him ? How many times has football thrown up players who have a golden season or half season and make a name for themselves only to never live up to it after that ? Personally I am more inclined to judge a guy based on his entire career to date instead of just a small fraction of it

Can I also say again that I believe that martinez was sold and leno kept, purely because the only offer we received was for martinez - as a club we needed to sell in order to buy, and I dont think that it was a case of preferring leno over martinez, but more a case of sell whichever brings in the cash

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Reports gathering traction that Szczesny could be coming home. :shock: :lol:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Augie whilst I take your point about Martinez I would like to point out that for the majority of that time the master at choosing goalkeepers, who gave us the likes of Flappy, Almunia and Ospina was in charge, not only that but Szczesny who was a mediocre goalkeeper with us under his coaching has by all accounts gone on to be excellent for Juventus. Leno was bought under a new manager who was faced with a past it cech and a pretty much unknown quantity in Martinez so the lines on how good Martinez could have been are not black and white

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

Martinez has a mistake in him, like Leno. We've seen it over the years and it's why he wasn't pushing Leno for #1 until Leno got injured. Yes, Martinez had a great spell between the sticks at the end of last season, but let's not forget he'd also been bang average for years prior.

I hope we keep Ryan. Even as a #2/cup keeper.

Sneezy coming back wouldn't upset me, to be honest. He seems to have improved since he left (and got away from Gerry Peyton). Juventus are looking at Milan's young 'keeper Donnakebab or whatever the hell his name is, I guess as a long-term fix. So, I could see this having legs.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Gianluigi Bananarama is out of contract in June and is supposedly on his way to Juve. Reports in the Italian press are saying that he's been "leaned on" by the Milan Ultras not to play in this Sunday’s game between the two teams. :shock:

Szczesny was a decent keeper for us, remembering he was only a young lad. He's much more experienced now and has spent his time at Juve training and working beside Gianluigi Buffon, one of the best goalkeepers to ever play the game.

Any truth to us considering him is fine with me. I even think old Flappy has developed into a good Premier League keeper at West Ham (not that I would want him back) so we shouldn't judge Szczesny on the player he was before.

augie

Post by augie »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:38 pm
Augie whilst I take your point about Martinez I would like to point out that for the majority of that time the master at choosing goalkeepers, who gave us the likes of Flappy, Almunia and Ospina was in charge, not only that but Szczesny who was a mediocre goalkeeper with us under his coaching has by all accounts gone on to be excellent for Juventus. Leno was bought under a new manager who was faced with a past it cech and a pretty much unknown quantity in Martinez so the lines on how good Martinez could have been are not black and white

We fcuked martinez out on loan to a few other clubs and not one showed any interest in signing him full time - not one story suggesting that we were looking for too much for him, and no rumour that he didnt want to join said club, so whilst I am not saying that is definitive, it does suggest to me of a lack of interest in any club signing him and that should ring alarm bells imo

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

augie wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 7:33 am
GoonerMuzz wrote:

We fcuked martinez out on loan to a few other clubs and not one showed any interest in signing him full time - not one story suggesting that we were looking for too much for him, and no rumour that he didnt want to join said club, so whilst I am not saying that is definitive, it does suggest to me of a lack of interest in any club signing him and that should ring alarm bells imo
Just because we didn't hear about it doesn't mean no enquiries were ever made. Martinez was only ever our 3rd choice keeper at best so hardly hold the back page news. :lol:
Last edited by Clummo99 on Tue May 04, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

John F

Post by John F »

augie wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

I don't know how to post links but I googled Martinez at Reading as I remembered he was well thought of there.The Reading fans loved him during his loan spell at the club and wanted to keep him.The Villa fans also like him.In one poll on transfer tavern he got 95% for being AV best signing of the season. They are worried about other clubs coming in for him in the summer.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

John F wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 8:55 am
augie wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

I don't know how to post links but I googled Martinez at Reading as I remembered he was well thought of there.The Reading fans loved him during his loan spell at the club and wanted to keep him.The Villa fans also like him.In one poll on transfer tavern he got 95% for being AV best signing of the season. They are worried about other clubs coming in for him in the summer.
Yes you're correct. I certainly recall he impressed at Reading. OK not a top flight club but he was only a youngster at that time.

shu

Post by shu »

Martinez deserved to be kept as number 1. The last half season proved that . Leno and his butter wrists has been pretty white this season but then a certain person still loves him here . A mate of mine said Martinez should get player of the season at Villa so that is a season and a half of good form :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:57 pm
For the life of me I still cannot understand the adoration martinez still holds with some Gooners - no doubt he had a great 6 months with us before he left, but he was with us for a decade so are we supposed to forget the previous years when no club wanted him ? How many times has football thrown up players who have a golden season or half season and make a name for themselves only to never live up to it after that ? Personally I am more inclined to judge a guy based on his entire career to date instead of just a small fraction of it

Can I also say again that I believe that martinez was sold and leno kept, purely because the only offer we received was for martinez - as a club we needed to sell in order to buy, and I dont think that it was a case of preferring leno over martinez, but more a case of sell whichever brings in the cash
Jesus augie you do love an exaggeration! :lol: :wink:

I don't see any "adoration" for Martininez.... certainly not on here. All I see is people saying that of the two keepers Martinez was and is the better keeper and the club made a mistake keeping Butter Wrists over him. I also see most people stating that neither are top class keepers but rather both are good keepers with certain mistakes in their game.

For me Martinez is the better keeper. Leno at times makes some great saves, but has far more errors in his game, especially his suicidal penchant for parrying the ball back into the danger area. Leno also does not command his box as well as Martinez does. The defence always looked more confident in front of Martinez too. And finally Leno has those buttery wrists that would be lovely smeared all over a nice toasted bagel but are fuck all good on a goalkeeper! :x

All things being equal though a truly ambitious club with a top manager and ambitious owners would look to have a keeper in place better than both Leno and Martinez. Not us then. :roll:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10, I keep arguing that leno was only kept over martinez cos we had an offer for martinez (not leno) on the table - it is my belief that had the offer come in for leno, he would have been sold and martinez kept.

There is no doubting that martinez commends his area far better than leno does or can