ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 7:40 am
DB10, I keep arguing that leno was only kept over martinez cos we had an offer for martinez (not leno) on the table - it is my belief that had the offer come in for leno, he would have been sold and martinez kept.

There is no doubting that martinez commends his area far better than leno does or can
Sorry augster, only the bit about "adoration" was directed at you. The rest was just general comment from me. :wink:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to @ilbianconerocom, Everton have made an interesting offer for Aaron Ramsey but he would like a return to #Arsenal.
https://t.co/9osoJLa4cx

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:40 am
According to @ilbianconerocom, Everton have made an interesting offer for Aaron Ramsey but he would like a return to #Arsenal.

He can fcuk right off :cussing: :cussing:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

mcdowell42 wrote:
No. Just no. Jesus, no. No no no no no.

No.

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:54 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

No.
You mean the bloke who scored TWO winning goals in FA cup finals for us? what a crunt eh? why would we want him back ?
Jesus, he is better than anything we have in centre midfield currently but we want to slag him?
Is it the law on here that we have to be down on everyone?

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:47 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

No.
You mean the bloke who scored TWO winning goals in FA cup finals for us? what a crunt eh? why would we want him back ?
Jesus, he is better than anything we have in centre midfield currently but we want to slag him?
Yes I'd have him back too, in a heartbeat.

As you say, he's streets ahead of those at the club right now.

My only issue would be injuries. He's missed a lot of games during his time at Juve on top of those for us previously.

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

elpelsarmy wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

No.
So because he scored two winning goals in a Cup final that means he's a world-class player that we simply can't do without? I think he's view with rose-tinted glasses BECAUSE he scored winners in cup finals.

The reality is, he's an overrated midfielder who struggles to pass the ball forward and, as was quite often the case, broke up our attacking play more than he helped it. There's a reason Juve are looking to cut their losses on him. Plus, why should we consider taking back an injury-prone player when we need to move forwards?

Absolutly illogical.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:35 pm
elpelsarmy wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

No.
So because he scored two winning goals in a Cup final that means he's a world-class player that we simply can't do without? I think he's view with rose-tinted glasses BECAUSE he scored winners in cup finals.

The reality is, he's an overrated midfielder who struggles to pass the ball forward and, as was quite often the case, broke up our attacking play more than he helped it. There's a reason Juve are looking to cut their losses on him. Plus, why should we consider taking back an injury-prone player when we need to move forwards?

Absolutly illogical.
But the alternatives are......?

None of us have any confidence that our people know a good player when they see one. Our buying policy revolves around agent's recommendations ffs! Like they don't have a vested interest. :lol:

Our latest link (whether true is debatable) is to some unknown Mexican midfielder who plays for Betis with a buyout of €80m.

The last time we payed a buyout for a player from Spain is looking sound business right now isn't it. :lol:

Arsenal Till I Die

Clummo99 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:53 pm
elpelsarmy wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

No.

Absolutly illogical.

None of us have any confidence that our people know a good player when they see one. Our buying policy revolves around agent's recommendations ffs! Like they don't have a vested interest. :lol:

Our latest link (whether true is debatable) is to some unknown Mexican midfielder who plays for Betis with a buyout of €80m.

The last time we payed a buyout for a player from Spain is looking sound business right now isn't it. :lol:
Granted we're being run into th pe ground transfer wise, but we shouldn't look backwards either. Ramsey is oldhat. I'm sure he will do alright at an Everton but if we are serious about improving then we shouldn't touch him with a barge poll.

Re Partey; as poor as he has been this year, I'm not giving up on the midfielder Simeone was angry to lose. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the coaching that is responsible for Partey's shit form. :lol:

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Thu May 06, 2021 5:19 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
elpelsarmy wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

No.

Absolutly illogical.

Granted we're being run into th pe ground transfer wise, but we shouldn't look backwards either. Ramsey is oldhat. I'm sure he will do alright at an Everton but if we are serious about improving then we shouldn't touch him with a barge poll.

Re Partey; as poor as he has been this year, I'm not giving up on the midfielder Simeone was angry to lose. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the coaching that is responsible for Partey's shit form. :lol:
On a slightly more serious note, my point was more about the short term.

We can't continue wasting masses of money on the likes of Pepe and Partey. Exploring the option of someone like Ramsey shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. We know what he has to offer and was in no way as bad as a few people on here say he was. A club like Juventus wouldn't want him if he was absolutely shit.

I'll take your point about the coaching of Partey one stage further. Wenger was known to just let our forward players play, ergo there wasn't much coaching involved. For all we know Ramsey could be a very different player if he was to have coaching in a team structure with a specific role and responsibilities.

Something worth thinking about and debating.

Arsenal Till I Die

Clummo99 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:41 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
elpelsarmy wrote:

Absolutly illogical.

We can't continue wasting masses of money on the likes of Pepe and Partey. Exploring the option of someone like Ramsey shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. We know what he has to offer and was in no way as bad as a few people on here say he was. A club like Juventus wouldn't want him if he was absolutely shit.

I'll take your point about the coaching of Partey one stage further. Wenger was known to just let our forward players play, ergo there wasn't much coaching involved. For all we know Ramsey could be a very different player if he was to have coaching in a team structure with a specific role and responsibilities.

Well, that's the thing, if the rumours are to be true then they don't want him anymore. They're looking to off-load him as part of a rebuild to challenge for the league again next year. While I admit he's not as bad as some say, he's certainly not as good as some on here say too. Taking his ability out of the equation for the moment, his injury record is still a concern. We shouldn't be looking to re-build ourselves with injury prone former players who have the odd good game every 10 games.

Re coaching, Ramsey may well be a different sort of player with a specificed role and responsbilities but he didn't show that under Emery, he hasn't shown that with Juve and I'm not really eager to roll the dice and finally see if it clicks for him under Arteta (or, hopefully, whoever) back with us.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

elpelsarmy wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

No.
Wind your pissflaps back in there, Mary Jane. :wink:

Now take your rose tinted spectacles off too. :x

He was hopeless for us for years, could not pass a ball forward, pissed possession away with stupid flicks and backheels.... and then he had that one brilliant half season where he was one of the best in Europe. One half season. Sure it was ruined by injury but he was worse than shit when he came back. Just straight back into stupid flicks, twirling on the ball, slowing and killing every attack once it reached his feet. He was shocking and anyone that remembers it differently needs to rewatch those games. And let's not even bring his injury record into it ffs. :roll:

We have enough ineffective midfielders. Why would we want another one? :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clummo99 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:41 pm
Clummo99 wrote:
elpelsarmy wrote:

Absolutly illogical.

Not for me. I'd bet anything you want he would be no different. I can't see a player of his age suddenly taking on a completely different playing still. The Welsh Messi-Lite (as he was sarcastically known on here for years) would be the exact same self indulgent showboater that kills attacks with his over elaboration.

elpelsarmy

Post by elpelsarmy »

He was hopeless for us for years, could not pass a ball forward, pissed possession away with stupid flicks and backheels.... and then he had that one brilliant half season where he was one of the best in Europe. One half season. Sure it was ruined by injury but he was worse than shit when he came back. Just straight back into stupid flicks, twirling on the ball, slowing and killing every attack once it reached his feet. He was shocking and anyone that remembers it differently needs to rewatch those games. And let's not even bring his injury record into it ffs. :roll:

:D :D Very good!!!

Yes he was frustrating at times, yes he loved a flick, yes he was injury prone but my point was that he is ten times better than anything we have in centre midfield at the minute which just shows you how poor we are, also, someone who won us 2 cups should be appreciated a bit more than your disparaging comments about him would suggest in my opinion, if he came in to the team tomorrow he would immediately improve us, saying all that I agree we should be going for younger hungrier less injury prone players.
I cant dislike someone who served us well and won us trophies and ultimately since he left us has not had a bad word to say about us!
Piss flaps wound in enough for you love??

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

elpelsarmy wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:07 am

:D :D Very good!!!

Yes he was frustrating at times, yes he loved a flick, yes he was injury prone but my point was that he is ten times better than anything we have in centre midfield at the minute which just shows you how poor we are, also, someone who won us 2 cups should be appreciated a bit more than your disparaging comments about him would suggest in my opinion, if he came in to the team tomorrow he would immediately improve us, saying all that I agree we should be going for younger hungrier less injury prone players.
I cant dislike someone who served us well and won us trophies and ultimately since he left us has not had a bad word to say about us!
Piss flaps wound in enough for you love??
Nicely wound in! :lol: :wink:

I think you might be misconstruing my dislike of Rambo as a footballer with him as a person. That's not the case. He always gave his all for us and has never been anything but respectful of the club and fans, and as a person I like and respect him. But as a footballer he infuriated me almost every game either side of that golden period he had.

I'd agree that technique-wise he is better than the likes of Clive, Partey and Huff n Puff but he is equally as poor in other areas like decision making and over elaboration on the ball. He is a poor player now and has been since the injury that ended his half season of brilliance.