ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GoonerMuzz

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by GoonerMuzz »

It doesn't matter who we think is or isn't 'good enough', the days of being able to attract top talent are gone for the moment and will likely stay gone whilst the club is run the way it is. The idea that the people running the club from Arteta up to Kroenke can improve things is wishful thinking and people on here need to begin to realise that, we can bitch amongst ourselves all we want but no-one is listening.

We can speculate all we want but when the main stays of the club are characters like Xhaka, Willian, et al, our best youngsters are constantly switched around or given little consistent game time, the CB pairing is forever changing, we have no LB cover and our RBs are very poor, our keeper flaps at anything which is not a direct shot etc etc etc tells me our club is foundering and requires more than just an 'Aouar' to put it right.

Until fans are back in the ground nothing can begin to change and in all honesty when you hear and read the way some people talk about Arteta i'm doubtful even then pressure will mount, the idiots running the club have been lucky this season with the pandemic but i am willing to bet my arse it'll be Christmas before any consistent dissent is heard in the ground, provided fans are back in and results are bad, because many people will take the view that it is a new season and we need to get behind the team blah blah blah..... Arsenal 2021 :barscarf: :barscarf:

shu

Post by shu »

Agree with that 100%

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:48 pm
It doesn't matter who we think is or isn't 'good enough', the days of being able to attract top talent are gone for the moment and will likely stay gone whilst the club is run the way it is. The idea that the people running the club from Arteta up to Kroenke can improve things is wishful thinking and people on here need to begin to realise that, we can bitch amongst ourselves all we want but no-one is listening.

We can speculate all we want but when the main stays of the club are characters like Xhaka, Willian, et al, our best youngsters are constantly switched around or given little consistent game time, the CB pairing is forever changing, we have no LB cover and our RBs are very poor, our keeper flaps at anything which is not a direct shot etc etc etc tells me our club is foundering and requires more than just an 'Aouar' to put it right.

Until fans are back in the ground nothing can begin to change and in all honesty when you hear and read the way some people talk about Arteta i'm doubtful even then pressure will mount, the idiots running the club have been lucky this season with the pandemic but i am willing to bet my arse it'll be Christmas before any consistent dissent is heard in the ground, provided fans are back in and results are bad, because many people will take the view that it is a new season and we need to get behind the team blah blah blah..... Arsenal 2021 :barscarf: :barscarf:
I think that's very true - having no fans in the stadium has been a blessing in disguise for Arteta. I remember towards the end of both Wenger and Emery's reigns, the irritation in the crowd was audible almost from the first whistle and the TV crews used to love panning round the ground when there was only about 20,000 left in it by the final whistle. He would have received all of that and more this season - the 0-3 home defeat to Villa, the 0-1 to Burnley and again the other night against Slavia. We've never been a vitriolic crowd, but more the lack of engagement and empty seats type which I suppose has some effect in a strange kind of way

I know most people on here can see through Arteta, but you're right in as much as the online praise he receives and amongst the media has more people duped than most of us can imagine. Even my brother in law (a Rangers fan) said to me the other week "I don't think its Arteta, I think its the previous manager's fault". You can imagine how I reacted to that lol......but it is a commonly held belief (even if not by many of us on here). The AFC facebook groups still suck his cock at every opportunity and have him down as the new Pep. As I said before, its not really Arteta's fault - he might be a very good manager one day, but the fact that he's cutting his teeth here is a sign of what sort of club we are.

I do think we can still attract some quality players but only by throwing loot at them - Partey (despite his shit form) was a top capture at £45m and it wasn't so long ago we signed Auba for £60m.

However, around those individuals we will need to heavily rely on a talented crop of youngsters, otherwise its curtains

Its for those reasons that i was an advocate of going for a manager like Dyche/Wilder/Howe i.e. someone with the experience to punch above their weight, because that's what it's going to take to get back as a CL club. We're as far away from that as at any point in our recent history

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Some good points SteveO, for me though I think too many people are still looking through rose-tinted glasses at where we are as a club, yes we signed Partey but so far barring a couple of games he has been a disappointment. PEA has been here over 3 years now and Laca has been here nearly 4 years so hardly recent signings.

We do have a good crop of youngsters in KT, ESR, Saka and Martinelli and potential in others such as Balogun and possibly Saliba if he ever plays for us. For me the biggest problem is we lack journeymen players, as unfashionable as it may seem in this day and age you need grafters, they dont need to be the most skilful or technical players but they are backbone of our successful teams in the past, the players who back up the stars and fill in for injuries or when rest is required, or generally just give their all week in week out in unglamorous positions. Currently we have next to none of those type of players.

Too many fans spend too much time in wishful reminiscences of past glories and forget that KSEs Arsenal bears little resemblance to what we were, it is 17 years since the Invincibles, christ some of our youngest players were barely alive back then.

For me the squad needs gutting root and branch, not just because of skill levels but also because of attitude, too many player are coasting in the Arsenal retirement village. Unfortunately the finances needed just wont ever be made available for a wholesale clear out and if as I mentioned in the past we drop out of Europe completely then the Owners/Board will use that excuse to sell any potential high value assets such as Saka and ESR to 'raise funds', in other words we are royally fucked and people across the Arsenal fanbase need to realise that. Unfortunately what they'll do is hark back to former days of where we should be rather than where we actually are, which is why so many people are in denial over Arteta still because we are Arsenal and even with a Novice Manager we should be above where we are.........depressing isnt it :wink:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to @ChrisWheatley_, Arteta's squad planning for next season is in advanced stages with the Gunners targeting a new right-back, left-back & hopeful of completing a permanent deal for Martin Odegaard. #Arsenal https://t.co/rgmdmiXlIG

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Only 1 midfielder? Means Elneny is definitely getting renewed then! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

We need two midfielders minimum.

augie

Post by augie »

TeeCee wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:55 pm
Only 1 midfielder? Means Elneny is definitely getting renewed then! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I'm a lot more curious to see who he sells or gets rid off - odds on the names of xhaka, luiz, elneny, pepe and willian will be nowhere to be found, but the names of guendouzi, torreira, saliba, nelson, nketieh, pillock, possibly balogun, and possibly martinelli if he asaks to leave (cos I dont think arteta will be bothered about keeping him). Take Torreira out of that list and the oldest player on those departures is 21 years old :roll: :evil:
Goes without saying, but if he sells saka the stadium and his house will be burnt to the ground by the end of the week

Nick Bendtners Ego

Post by Nick Bendtners Ego »

augie wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:24 pm
TeeCee wrote:

I'm a lot more curious to see who he sells or gets rid off - odds on the names of xhaka, luiz, elneny, pepe and willian will be nowhere to be found, but the names of guendouzi, torreira, saliba, nelson, nketieh, pillock, possibly balogun, and possibly martinelli if he asaks to leave (cos I dont think arteta will be bothered about keeping him). Take Torreira out of that list and the oldest player on those departures is 21 years old :roll: :evil:
Goes without saying, but if he sells saka the stadium and his house will be burnt to the ground by the end of the week
Maybe a few latte's thrown over the glass entrances and a half burnt financial times in the letter box but after the online murmurings cease and Covid continues to buffer Arteta from the rabble its business as usual at SKE FC.

C'mon mate , this us our fan base we're talking about 🙄 We're the club of Mexican wave shrugs.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nick Bendtners Ego wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:17 am
augie wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:24 pm
TeeCee wrote:

Maybe a few latte's thrown over the glass entrances and a half burnt financial times in the letter box but after the online murmurings cease and Covid continues to buffer Arteta from the rabble its business as usual at SKE FC.

C'mon mate , this us our fan base we're talking about 🙄 We're the club of Mexican wave shrugs.
And we'll have a few of our idiotic "fans" on Twatter praising the chosen one for the genius of selling Saka.... :roll:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

KSE have realised it is a lot cheaper to be a mid-table team than a European team, as long as the TV revenue rolls in who needs the very expensive ECL or Europa league money :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to SPORT BILD, Schalke want to sign Sead Kolasinac permanently but Mikel Arteta is blocking the move as he wants to keep the player as back-up for Kieran Tierney. #Arsenal https://t.co/7KsSeoMreD

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:38 pm
According to SPORT BILD, Schalke want to sign Sead Kolasinac permanently but Mikel Arteta is blocking the move as he wants to keep the player as back-up for Kieran Tierney. #Arsenal https://t.co/7KsSeoMreD

:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:

Midz

Post by Midz »

mcdowell42 wrote:
I thought they had..oh well, hopefully get rid in the summer.

Are you sure he didn't go permanently? Fuck!!

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

Poor old Mikel. So he wants Kola as back up to KT? Back-up as in a bodyguard? Yeah that could work. As a footballer? Nah. Don’t think so.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:39 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:

:coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit: :coffeespit:
What he said ^

X 100.