ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by OneBardGooner »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:56 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:40 pm
Matteo Guendouzi has ‘no future’ at Hertha Berlin, with the player now ‘conspicuous’ for his ‘theatrical appearances’. Talks about another loan to Hertha have ‘come to an end, unsurprisingly’, with the Premier League ‘certainly more appealing’ for him. [@Sport_Witness via BILD] https://t.co/7tL3S9HUax
I read during the week that we are hoping to command a fee of £25 million for him in the summer :coffeespit:

For fuck sake if we somehow manage to get £2.5 mill for the French Robbie Savage it will be an absolute miracle, Falls out with every manager he’s ever had, shocking attitude and bang fucking average.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :high5:

Midz

Post by Midz »

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... egaard-SNT

Odegaard has looked good lately and this would be make sense for us if we could negotiate (ha ha) a reasonable price for him. RM need to generate cash so it might work in our favour if we had someone that could do proper negotiations. Ah but alas, we don't have such an animal but we could still get him for over the odds and then agree to pay him far more than necessary like we usually do. He's not on a huge wage now so there's no need to triple it as he wants to play for us anyway. Donald Duck would be better doing the transfer but we'll have to wait and see what happens. He'll be a good buy whatever happens.

I read RM are willing to sell Dani getaffi too although we'd be better suited to simply give him back so they can do as they wish with him.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I'd sign Erd-Dee-Gard in a heartbeat. But Hleballos can fuck off.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:34 am
Hmmm......50m for Odegaard, or 22m for Dani Almeria/Levante/Getafe

I wonder which option will appeal to Stan the most.

Odegaard's performances lately would have caught a few eyes. It'll be the Almeria Kid who ends up here as a regular next season. El Beige's dream midfield of Xhaka, Partey, Elneny, Ceballos and Willian to start next season

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:48 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

Odegaard's performances lately would have caught a few eyes. It'll be the Almeria Kid who ends up here as a regular next season. El Beige's dream midfield of Xhaka, Partey, Elneny, Ceballos and Willian to start next season

How about I put another scenario to you -

Smith-Rowe in the 10, or £50m for odegaard to play in the 10 ?

To me I keep coming back to how the signing of odegaard will impact the development of smith-rowe (not just cos he is one of our own) - would fans want odegaard to sign even if it meant that smith-rowe would be demoted to mostly a back up player ? More importantly would fans want to shell out £50m from what is sure to be a meagre transfer budget to sign another number 10, when there are glaring holes at positions like right full, centre mid and number 9 that in my opinion need to be prioritised ?
I think sometimes (often) us fans jump all over the possibility of signing loan players like odegaard on a full time basis - I know that it wasnt anywhere near to this level, but there was a lot of fans wanted to sign (the average) ceballos after he had a few good (but not great) early performances with us. I have no doubt that pep's cone boy will attempt to sign ceballos in the summer, and likewise I have no doubt that madrid will be very happy to sell him to us if the money is right.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:22 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

To me I keep coming back to how the signing of odegaard will impact the development of smith-rowe (not just cos he is one of our own) - would fans want odegaard to sign even if it meant that smith-rowe would be demoted to mostly a back up player ? More importantly would fans want to shell out £50m from what is sure to be a meagre transfer budget to sign another number 10, when there are glaring holes at positions like right full, centre mid and number 9 that in my opinion need to be prioritised ?
I think sometimes (often) us fans jump all over the possibility of signing loan players like odegaard on a full time basis - I know that it wasnt anywhere near to this level, but there was a lot of fans wanted to sign (the average) ceballos after he had a few good (but not great) early performances with us. I have no doubt that pep's cone boy will attempt to sign ceballos in the summer, and likewise I have no doubt that madrid will be very happy to sell him to us if the money is right.
I don't disagree - I was calling for Smith Rowe to play long before El Beige stumbled upon that selection by accident, and for me he is our first choice number 10. Him, Saka and Tierney have transformed our season from being a relegation threatened one to a bang average one and I'd be gutted to see him relegated to make way for Odegaard

I was merely saying that if there was one signing out of those two that I could see our club making it would be the Almeria Kid

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Yup! Real are rubbing their hands and counting the dollar / peso signs already - Both the SCousefilth and chavCunts are said to have contacted Real...

:? :cry:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:46 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Yup! Real are rubbing their hands and counting the dollar / peso signs already - Both the SCousefilth and chavCunts are said to have contacted Real...

:? :cry:
And its exactly why I can't see the point in loans like this. He's either a total flop and you're stuck paying the wages of someone who doesn't want to be here, or they turn into a superstar and all the big guns coming running with the cheque book

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:39 am
augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I don't disagree - I was calling for Smith Rowe to play long before El Beige stumbled upon that selection by accident, and for me he is our first choice number 10. Him, Saka and Tierney have transformed our season from being a relegation threatened one to a bang average one and I'd be gutted to see him relegated to make way for Odegaard

I was merely saying that if there was one signing out of those two that I could see our club making it would be the Almeria Kid
I absolutely don't care less whether it impacts Smith-Rowe or not tbh. The best player should play. There are no more clubmen left in the game. The days of TA6 and Rocky are long gone. I don't feel any connection to any modern players the way I did in the 80s and 90s. I'd like us to bring through some youth players and be successful that way but I don't think we will. Our academy pumps out mostly shite and average players. The good ones like Saka and Smith-Rowe and Martinelli probably won't stay long as we are owned by an unambitious skinflint. We are all but a feeder club.... :roll:

At the moment I would say Err-Dee-Gard is the more complete player. He constantly looks to get on the ball and drive the team forward whereas Smith-Rowe can sometimes drift out of games and doesn't look for the ball as much. No slur on Smith-Rowe, he's a top player with skill and vision, but at this moment in time he is not quite there yet.

Agreed it will be Hleballos we sign. As a club we are all but dead. :roll:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Doesnt matter whether we sign Odegaard or not, Arteta will still be calling the shots and at the start of next season Willian, Xhaka and Luiz will still be regular starters, Pepe will be given more chance to develop, Tierney will have no cover and either Chambers or Cedric will be our full time RB, Elnenny will have a renewed contract, Martinelli will still be being rested and Saka and Laca will have been sold to make funds, PEA will be a year older and just as disinterested and Eddie will be our CF option.

The argument over no 10 doesnt matter when the squad is full of the dross it has already because the no10 cant win us games on his own, Kroenke's Arsenal 2021 folks :barscarf: :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:58 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

I absolutely don't care less whether it impacts Smith-Rowe or not tbh. The best player should play. There are no more clubmen left in the game. The days of TA6 and Rocky are long gone. I don't feel any connection to any modern players the way I did in the 80s and 90s. I'd like us to bring through some youth players and be successful that way but I don't think we will. Our academy pumps out mostly shite and average players. The good ones like Saka and Smith-Rowe and Martinelli probably won't stay long as we are owned by an unambitious skinflint. We are all but a feeder club.... :roll:

At the moment I would say Err-Dee-Gard is the more complete player. He constantly looks to get on the ball and drive the team forward whereas Smith-Rowe can sometimes drift out of games and doesn't look for the ball as much. No slur on Smith-Rowe, he's a top player with skill and vision, but at this moment in time he is not quite there yet.

The players you talk about are players that were given a chance and then developed into top players - how are we gonna bring through more academy players if we dont give them a proper chance ? There is also no point in dismissing the "clubmen in the game" ideal when we are as much a part of the problem as the modern day footballers are - fans now yearn for the big name galatico type of signing rather than give these academy players the type of support and patience that is needed while they are cutting their teeth. Why would players pledge undying love and loyalty to the club, when they know that the club and fans would throw them under the bus in a heartbeat for a glitzy signing ? I would argue that the onus/responsibility to build a clubmen mentality is on the club and the fans, but maybe I am wrong.

Re the "best player should play" part, I would say that I agree with you 95% - the 5% exception for me would be if the difference between the 2 players is minimal and if one of the players concerned was only in on loan. I would want our team to have as many homegrown players as possible all the time IF they are good enough, and given you are in the same age bracket as me and grew up in an era where homegrown players was massive, I'm surprised that you say that homegrown is of no interest to you now. Compared to previous decades the club is certainly dead nowadays, but I am still hopeful that it can be rebuilt - the problem is though that every strong club is built from inside and from the bottom up, and a strong academy is a fundamental part of every strong club. Demoting young players with real top potential (like smith-rowe and martinelli) will only force these players out of the club, and all we will be left with is a team full of sub-standard shite like willian and pepe, and a gaping hole where the loan player has fcuked off back to his parent club - who wins in that scenario cos it sure as fcuk aint AFC

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:16 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:58 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
augie wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

The players you talk about are players that were given a chance and then developed into top players - how are we gonna bring through more academy players if we dont give them a proper chance ? There is also no point in dismissing the "clubmen in the game" ideal when we are as much a part of the problem as the modern day footballers are - fans now yearn for the big name galatico type of signing rather than give these academy players the type of support and patience that is needed while they are cutting their teeth. Why would players pledge undying love and loyalty to the club, when they know that the club and fans would throw them under the bus in a heartbeat for a glitzy signing ? I would argue that the onus/responsibility to build a clubmen mentality is on the club and the fans, but maybe I am wrong.

Re the "best player should play" part, I would say that I agree with you 95% - the 5% exception for me would be if the difference between the 2 players is minimal and if one of the players concerned was only in on loan. I would want our team to have as many homegrown players as possible all the time IF they are good enough, and given you are in the same age bracket as me and grew up in an era where homegrown players was massive, I'm surprised that you say that homegrown is of no interest to you now. Compared to previous decades the club is certainly dead nowadays, but I am still hopeful that it can be rebuilt - the problem is though that every strong club is built from inside and from the bottom up, and a strong academy is a fundamental part of every strong club. Demoting young players with real top potential (like smith-rowe and martinelli) will only force these players out of the club, and all we will be left with is a team full of sub-standard shite like willian and pepe, and a gaping hole where the loan player has fcuked off back to his parent club - who wins in that scenario cos it sure as fcuk aint AFC
You are wrong. 8)

:lol: :wink:

In all honesty though what you are talking about is fantasy. Those days and that type of game are gone. Money rules the day now. Young players are mostly not fans of the club. And with agents, personal managers and merchandisers in their ear they do not develop a love of club. They develop a love of money.

The example you give is not accurate. Smith-Rowe and Err-Dee-Gard. Err-Dee-Gard is not a galactico big name marquee signing. He's a young player just like Smith-Rowe. So how would dropping Smith-Rowe for Err-Dee-Gard - if the latter is playing better - fit into your concept of us fickle celebidee obsessed fans having our cheeks parted by a big name signing? I don't know where you are getting that leap from.

I've always believed the best player should play. Does not matter a shite if he's on loan or a youth academy product. If the loanee gets picked then its been put up to the academy player to step up and win that spot back.

The way the game is nowadays we will never build a team from our academy. Certainly not a successful one. The best players will go to the big money clubs and the rubbish will drift along with us for a few years and then off to Palace and Stoke and Bolton.

I'd be amazed if we hold onto Smith-Rowe, Saka, and Martinelli longer than the next two or three seasons tbh - no matter who our manager is. Unless he is a top top manager that comes in and wins major trophies from the off. And that's not likely is it, given the cretinous cùnt that owns us....

It's certainly not a positive view of our future but it is a realistic one unfortunately.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:20 pm
rodders999 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:56 pm
mcdowell42 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:40 pm
Matteo Guendouzi has ‘no future’ at Hertha Berlin, with the player now ‘conspicuous’ for his ‘theatrical appearances’. Talks about another loan to Hertha have ‘come to an end, unsurprisingly’, with the Premier League ‘certainly more appealing’ for him. [@Sport_Witness via BILD] https://t.co/7tL3S9HUax
I read during the week that we are hoping to command a fee of £25 million for him in the summer :coffeespit:

For fuck sake if we somehow manage to get £2.5 mill for the French Robbie Savage it will be an absolute miracle, Falls out with every manager he’s ever had, shocking attitude and bang fucking average.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :high5:
Surely they can't be talking about "The Matteo Guendopey" :shock:
A legend of the Golden Year under Dicko Emery!!
"a really promising young player" to quote someone on here :lol:

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:55 pm
Doesnt matter whether we sign Odegaard or not, Arteta will still be calling the shots and at the start of next season Willian, Xhaka and Luiz will still be regular starters, Pepe will be given more chance to develop, Tierney will have no cover and either Chambers or Cedric will be our full time RB, Elnenny will have a renewed contract, Martinelli will still be being rested and Saka and Laca will have been sold to make funds, PEA will be a year older and just as disinterested and Eddie will be our CF option.

The argument over no 10 doesnt matter when the squad is full of the dross it has already because the no10 cant win us games on his own, Kroenke's Arsenal 2021 folks :barscarf: :barscarf:
Well that's cheered me up no end :?

You're not a spin doctor for the labour party are you :lol:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

No, I don't command that sort of fee or have the delusion required to work for Labour..... Still I'm at least 50% correct about what is said :rubchin: