ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by augie »

g88ner wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:27 am
Although I’d love to keep both keepers this season, I do think having two £20m+ goalkeepers, when you’re scratching around for money for new signings, does seem a tad extravagant.

Same with AMN and Bellerin. Make a decision on which has a future at right full/wing back and sell the other for £20m+ (I’m assuming Tierney will be left full/wing back once Mari and Gabriel settle in on the left side of central defence)

Torreira and Guendouzi will hopefully get us some money too because we’ll get next to fuck all for Sokratis, Kolasinac and Elneny.... and Ozil clearly won’t leave either.

No point loaning out Holding as losing him leaves us short on numbers until chambers and Mustafi are back closer to Christmas.

Selling Lacazette is fine by me but hardly helps generate funds as you’ll just end up having to sign a new striker to replace him!

Happy with our signings so far though.

Yes BUT (there has to be a but with me :wink: ), but if in the unlikely event that we buy Partey AND Aouar, will that mean that xhaka will be up for sale too ? :rubchin: You have to imagine that signing both of them, and ceballos and will i am, would leave xhaka down the pecking order, and he probably still has some value for clubs in germany (mad german b.astards :lol: :lol: ) so could we move him on too ?

All pie in the sky I know, cos odds are that at best we will get either Aouar OR partey not both, and it wouldnt shock me if we ended up getting neither

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

augie wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:39 am

Yes BUT (there has to be a but with me :wink: ), but if in the unlikely event that we buy Partey AND Aouar, will that mean that xhaka will be up for sale too ? :rubchin: You have to imagine that signing both of them, and ceballos and will i am, would leave xhaka down the pecking order, and he probably still has some value for clubs in germany (mad german b.astards :lol: :lol: ) so could we move him on too ?

All pie in the sky I know, cos odds are that at best we will get either Aouar OR partey not both, and it wouldnt shock me if we ended up getting neither
I know it’s hard but I think you need to accept that, like Wenger and Emery before him, Arteta likes Xakha much more than you :lol:

If we do sign Partey though, it’ll be interesting who makes way - Xakha or Ceballos :rubchin:

By the way, I’m not against signing Willian but I still can’t quite work out where he’ll play and how that impacts the others. I’m assuming wide right but we’ve got a £72m albatross on that side and auba on the left... or will he play centrally somehow? Argh it’ll be interesting to see the lineup in the opening weeks!

wibble

Post by wibble »

I’m not sure selling either keeper would give much scope for increasing the transfer kitty. Presumably we wouldn’t go into the season with Macey as 2nd choice, so if we got 20 million for Martinez (for example) a lot of that would have to go on finding a replacement.

I guess it could increase our transfer budget by a few million but there’s definitely other players that make more sense to get rid of first (especially one of bellerin or amn as no replacement needed). The others who we need to get rid of sadly are unlikely to have any buyers.

I reckon we’ve seen the majority of our transfers in and out already sadly, but hopefully that’s not the case as plenty left needing to be sorted!

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

According to @mattinodinapoli, Sokratis to Napoli is a done deal, he’ll leave #Arsenal for free, & sign a 2-year-contract worth €3.5m per season with the Italian club. https://t.co/0LO45DSp6t

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

So Lyon admit we made a bid earlier this summer for Aouar offering cash and Guendouzi but the player didn’t interest them.

They also said they tried to take Laca on loan in January so maybe he could be used as a make weight in the deal. Fingers crossed we get him.

Midz

Post by Midz »

rodders999 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:29 pm
So Lyon admit we made a bid earlier this summer for Aouar offering cash and Guendouzi but the player didn’t interest them.

They also said they tried to take Laca on loan in January so maybe he could be used as a make weight in the deal. Fingers crossed we get him.
He seems to be a very good choice for us. Fingers crossed.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Emi Martinez has been offered a new contract by Arsenal [Guardian] https://t.co/Zw7TrYjPfN

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Martinez was great last season but I just can't help but think if a guy hasn't looked very good until he's 27 years old......he ain't really that good? I hope we don't sell Leno and keep him, I am not convinced at all.

augie

Post by augie »

TeeCee wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:19 am
Martinez was great last season but I just can't help but think if a guy hasn't looked very good until he's 27 years old......he ain't really that good? I hope we don't sell Leno and keep him, I am not convinced at all.

That's partially where I am too, although I also rate Leno higher tbh - generally a journeyman player at 27 years old who has failed to establish himself anywhere, is where he is because of insufficient quality. It isnt just that he hasnt established himself with us, it's that he has never done well enough ANYWHERE to generate interest from any club - jesus even mannone did well enough on loan to entice some braindead club to buy him. When I look at martinez I see a similar situation to average almunia, in that he just was never good enough for the top level despite having a few bright spots - difference in two situations is that (due to funds and a senile manager) we were stuck with average al, but right now we have a good keeper in Leno, and we have a chance to sell martinez at a time where his value has been higher

augie

Post by augie »

Cant find the link, but the daily mail are reporting that the brentford keeper is willing to hand in a transfer request to get his move to AFC

Mirror reporting that psg keeper areola has been offered to us

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Apparently the Holding to toon move is off because Sideshow Chav has a neck injury that could be long term. If we are lucky.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

TeeCee wrote:
100% agree with you.

As I said a few times now, Martinez has impressed in a completely different situation than normal. No crowds, less pressure and able to communicate better.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:55 am
Cant find the link, but the daily mail are reporting that the brentford keeper is willing to hand in a transfer request to get his move to AFC

Mirror reporting that psg keeper areola has been offered to us
Not that fucking calamity in goal for Brentford that cost them a place in the PL. He makes David Luiz look like the world's most responsible footballer!

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:42 am
TeeCee wrote:
100% agree with you.

As I said a few times now, Martinez has impressed in a completely different situation than normal. No crowds, less pressure and able to communicate better.
I'm not sure Martinez is good enough to be no 1 but being honest Leno has made some absolute clangers as well as his worldies whilst in goal with the same defence in front of him.

My only problem with Leno is he that although he is a great shot stopper he doesn't seem that commanding in his box. Currently for me Martinez shades Leno in terms of command and control but Leno has the edge in terms of raw shot stopping.

For me i'd still start Martinez and see how it goes and if the right offer comes in for either of them sell, but as said above the problem is Macey as no2 i have no idea whether he is good enough and therefore funds generated by the sale might go towards a better backup rather than investing elsewhere in the squad :rubchin:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

The Independent say #Arsenal reluctantly ready to sell Bellerin to PSG to fund move for new midfielder. The defender has been contacted by the French side & will be made available for around £35m that could go towards Arteta’s pursuit for midfield signings.https://t.co/98Wu1E96Kl