ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: ALL Transfer talk - merged thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:34 pm
Who ??

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... e-biereth/

Whelmed :roll:
Completely and utterly whelmed here too buddy. Why are we buying other teams' unproven youth potential? Surely we have an academy to produce youth potential for us and - oh, right..... :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:13 am
augie wrote:
Who ??

Completely and utterly whelmed here too buddy. Why are we buying other teams' unproven youth potential? Surely we have an academy to produce youth potential for us and - oh, right..... :lol:
It would appear that the Arsenal Youth Project is going no better than THE (Arsenal) Project. Mind you with the Big KrautVADGE in charge that's no surprise. :?

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:46 am

It would appear that the Arsenal Youth Project is going no better than THE (Arsenal) Project. Mind you with the Big KrautVADGE in charge that's no surprise. :?
What’s wrong with the Arsenal youth? It’s been incredibly fruitful recently.

It’s the one area of the club I’m happy with! :lol:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Being linked to Isco again. I’ve not seen enough of him to judge but surely throwing a hefty 4 year contract at a declining talent who will be 33 and still earning silly money at Arsenal…. Surely Edu has learned his lesson by now? :oops: :?

Is he managed by Kia?

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

g88ner wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:04 am
OneBardGooner wrote:

it has produced ESR and of Course Saka and Balogun, but they were already "on their way" sop to speak before BGV took over, there are one or two others coming through into the 1st squad, but from some 280 young players I thought there would be more quality emerging.

Maybe I'm being harsh or judgmental, but I just think we should/could have more players "making it" ? :|

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:22 pm
g88ner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

it has produced ESR and of Course Saka and Balogun, but they were already "on their way" sop to speak before BGV took over, there are one or two others coming through into the 1st squad, but from some 280 young players I thought there would be more quality emerging.

Maybe I'm being harsh or judgmental, but I just think we should/could have more players "making it" ? :|
Well Maitland - Niles has played for England (more than I ever did) and Willock is the subject of a possible £25m transfer to,Newcastle ,so if one was going to be facetious you could include those 2, even though they are unlikely to be first teamers for us.

Charlie Patino is apparently going to be a superstar in the years ahead…..

wibble

Post by wibble »

Looks like Man Utd will be getting varane for less than we’re paying for white. I realise he’s in the last year of his contract which obviously has a big impact on the transfer fee but still think we’re paying well over the odds for white.
I hope he’s a success alongside our other signings and it’s good to be getting in some young players but feel we really need to get some more (ideally premier league) experienced players who are at their peak and don’t just have potential

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

The thing with the Varane deal is that he won’t come to a side with no European football. So it is a bit of a non-starter as a comparison. Madrid are up shit creek financially and have to balance the books. So do Dortmund. So United have picked up proper quality this summer for decent prices. Meanwhile we have fucked around for a decade and are now being dictated to. We are also being fleeced on a grand scale for players we want to buy and players we want to sell. If Arsenal were a horse you would have taken it out into a field and shot it years ago.

wibble

Post by wibble »

Yeah there’s no chance varane would come to us but it’s frustrating that we’re having to look for players from ‘lesser’ clubs but are still paying extremely high prices for them

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Varane will cost more with his wages plus English players have a premium.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

From what I know about each player I'd take Verane over White every time. The outlay would be pretty much the same I reckon, Verane's wages against White's transfer fee.

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

StuartL wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:29 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:22 pm
g88ner wrote:
OneBardGooner wrote:

Well Maitland - Niles has played for England (more than I ever did) and Willock is the subject of a possible £25m transfer to,Newcastle ,so if one was going to be facetious you could include those 2, even though they are unlikely to be first teamers for us.

Charlie Patino is apparently going to be a superstar in the years ahead…..
Ah you mean just like Gedeon Zelalem?

Where's he now? Is he still with us even? :lol:

*Edit.
I just checked. He's playing in the MLS for New York City. :roll: :lol:

Gunnerz4life

Post by Gunnerz4life »

Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:42 am
From what I know about each player I'd take Verane over White every time. The outlay would be pretty much the same I reckon, Verane's wages against White's transfer fee.
Age and the subsequent resale value plays a part as well in driving the price up. White if he turns out to be half decent would have a significant resale value that Varane won't .

I do wonder if Varane is past his prime. I don't watch Madrid games much but I remember him involved in a couple of howlers in the CL last year.

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

Gunnerz4life wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:38 am
Clummo99 wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:42 am
Age and the subsequent resale value plays a part as well in driving the price up. White if he turns out to be half decent would have a significant resale value that Varane won't .

I do wonder if Varane is past his prime. I don't watch Madrid games much but I remember him involved in a couple of howlers in the CL last year.
Varane 41 million, white 50 , he is easily more expensive with wages factored in .

gooner265

Post by gooner265 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:13 am
augie wrote:
Who ??

Moller has gone on loan for a year and Balogun has been promoted so there is a space for a striker. His record is good I can't see the issue here?
It's just an excuse to have another moan :lol: