OZIL - Merged Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: OZIL No shows, Injury, illness ??

Post by DB10GOONER »

Ed Hunter The Gooner wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:08 am
To be fair, I really don't understand all this hate. Yes, his last season was bad but he still creates goal scoring chances more than anyone else. I don't understand why people ridicules that? Isn't that his job after all in the team, to create goal scoring chances?

I'm not his fanboy or anything but I'd like to see him under different manager what he can do. We'll see that next season I guess.
Exactly. That's what he does. He creates chances and provides assists. I've always said you either build the team around Ozil's ability to create chances or sell him. Like Fabregas before him he is one of those players with brilliant vision and sublime technical skills but you have to surround those kind of players with other top players that have the football intelligence to understand what they are doing.

At what other club would you have fans calling for the head of the creative attacking midfielder who has just set the PL record for being fastest to 50 assists? Some of our fans really are embarrassing Mongs tbh. :oops: :lol:

Ed Hunter The Gooner

Post by Ed Hunter The Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:30 am
To be fair, I really don't understand all this hate. Yes, his last season was bad but he still creates goal scoring chances more than anyone else. I don't understand why people ridicules that? Isn't that his job after all in the team, to create goal scoring chances?

I'm not his fanboy or anything but I'd like to see him under different manager what he can do. We'll see that next season I guess.
Exactly. That's what he does. He creates chances and provides assists. I've always said you either build the team around Ozil's ability to create chances or sell him. Like Fabregas before him he is one of those players with brilliant vision and sublime technical skills but you have to surround those kind of players with other top players that have the football intelligence to understand what they are doing.

At what other club would you have fans calling for the head of the creative attacking midfielder who has just set the PL record for being fastest to 50 assists? Some of our fans really are embarrassing Mongs tbh. :oops: :lol:
Totally agreed! I hope Emery knows how to get the best out of him and how to utilize him the best.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:

To be fair DB10, you are comparing apples and oranges there buddy - cesc was indeed a wonderful creative player but that is where the comparison stops for me. Cesc worked a lot harder than ozil. Cesc wasnt afraid to do the tough/dirty stuff, and understood the team and work ethic comes first. It might not be important to you, and it obviously isnt the defining factor on whether a player is good or not, but surely you can agree that ozil's body language is a disgrace - with cesc the fans knew and could see how much he wanted to win every game, but ozil radiates a "I couldnt give a flying fcuk" image and that will always count against him.

If we sat back and looked at it in a detatched way, we would probably all agree that ozil is not suited to english football - attitude and work-rate are the MINIMUM expected from players in this league and ozil rarely delivers either, and his good days (which are far better than ordinary players good days) do not come along often enough to justify keeping him and certainly cannot justify his 350k per week wage. There have been a good few world class number 10s that have played in the premier league in the last 20+ years, but the best of those recognised and accepted that they needed to adapt their game somewhat to maximise their talents in this league, and to my mind ozil has never done that.

He should be sold now (personally I would take £20m+ for him) because he isnt adaptable enough to play a system that suits the team, and he isnt good enough to have the system built around him

Btw DB10, was it you or flash that used to continually mock people that came up what stats like the one you put up there now ? :lol: :lol: Stats can be developed to deliver any message that we want to appear and you should know better :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:24 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

To be fair DB10, you are comparing apples and oranges there buddy - cesc was indeed a wonderful creative player but that is where the comparison stops for me. Cesc worked a lot harder than ozil. Cesc wasnt afraid to do the tough/dirty stuff, and understood the team and work ethic comes first. It might not be important to you, and it obviously isnt the defining factor on whether a player is good or not, but surely you can agree that ozil's body language is a disgrace - with cesc the fans knew and could see how much he wanted to win every game, but ozil radiates a "I couldnt give a flying fcuk" image and that will always count against him.

If we sat back and looked at it in a detatched way, we would probably all agree that ozil is not suited to english football - attitude and work-rate are the MINIMUM expected from players in this league and ozil rarely delivers either, and his good days (which are far better than ordinary players good days) do not come along often enough to justify keeping him and certainly cannot justify his 350k per week wage. There have been a good few world class number 10s that have played in the premier league in the last 20+ years, but the best of those recognised and accepted that they needed to adapt their game somewhat to maximise their talents in this league, and to my mind ozil has never done that.

He should be sold now (personally I would take £20m+ for him) because he isnt adaptable enough to play a system that suits the team, and he isnt good enough to have the system built around him

Btw DB10, was it you or flash that used to continually mock people that came up what stats like the one you put up there now ? :lol: :lol: Stats can be developed to deliver any message that we want to appear and you should know better :wink:
Haha I knew you'd misread the Fabregas comparison! :lol: :wink: The comparison was only to illustrate that you can build a team around those players at a certain level but you need to place similarly talented intelligent players around them.

As for body language and effiort and what we might construe from that - For all Fabregas's effort all he wanted was a move to the Whores even threatening to go on strike ffs. And then the little rat went to the chav after what he'd said about them. If Fabregas is who we measure integrity by then we are fucked. :roll:

Ozil body language does not concern me as that is aesthetics and means nothing. His ability to create chances and assists is everything.

As for stats? Hard to argue with a player stat that says he has needed the least number of games to hit 50 assists in the history of the PL. Just think about that. How is that a number 10 that is not suited to the PL?

I think augie you need to look past the old 1970s 1980s and 1990s game where every player had to be running around at a hundred miles an hour. That mindset is why English teams have never really dominated the European competitions since the European teams twigged how to beat Liverpool and then advanced the game to a more technical level. I've always said it - effort is great but it will very seldom beat true ability and technical brilliance on its own.

The only thing I agree with is the 350k a week salary issue. It is insane and he should not be paid that highly. But then I don't think ANY player is worth that.

Having said all that if it is the case that Dick can't or won't build the team around Ozil then he should sell him and use all that money to bring in a couple of players - but I also think it would be an opportunity missed... similar to the Fabregas situation.

augie

Post by augie »

Re the cesc transfers situation, can we agree on the following -

1. cesc badly wanted to go HOME to the whores - they were the best team on the planet by a distance at that time, and barcelona was home for him. Can you blame the guy for wanting to go ? if The "going on strike threat" is true, then that is indefensible on all counts. What I will also add is that there seems to have been a pattern back then of lightbulb moments where our top players discovered that they were wasting their time with us - it happened at different times for different players, but when it happened each and everyone of them pushed like hell to get out

2. cesc was offered back to AFC by barca - we had a senile old egotistical c.unt in charge at the time, and he refused to take him back. Barca needed to seel him to generate funds and the chavs were THE ONLY other team interested - what should cesc do ? I know that I would be driven to come back and shove a few things down wengers throat after being rejected

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

DB10GOONER wrote:

He creates chances and provides assists.He is the fastest to 50 assists so fucking what?.He doesnt make assists in the big games v the big teams away from home. Number of assists by Ozil away to City Utd Spurs Liverpool and Chelsea last season? Nil
Ozil creates the vast majority of assists at home v the bottom 10 sides. Does Kevin DeBruyne only turn it on at the Etihad?
Big players turn up in the big away games against your nearest rivals who can honestly say Ozil does that?

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

What i always say to fans of Ozil is when Madrid decided to sign him why did none of the European power house teams try to get him. How come Bayern didnt want him? This so called assist machine. Why was it only 4th place Arsenal who went in for him
And has anyone noticed when he was at Madrid with one of the best players ever Ronaldo for him to put his assists to Madrid won one La Liga and no CL's. Since he was sold and replaced by Bale.They have won one LaLiga and four count em CL's.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Ernie71 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:18 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

He creates chances and provides assists.He is the fastest to 50 assists so fucking what?.He doesnt make assists in the big games v the big teams away from home. Number of assists by Ozil away to City Utd Spurs Liverpool and Chelsea last season? Nil
Ozil creates the vast majority of assists at home v the bottom 10 sides. Does Kevin DeBruyne only turn it on at the Etihad?
Big players turn up in the big away games against your nearest rivals who can honestly say Ozil does that?

Well at least we have him on a contract now!

Ozil is worth one more season and hopefully Dick can actually put together a team that utilises his strengths properly which should see Aubameyang net a hatful this season. But Ozil does need to have a word with himself though as his body language does stink and it really wouldn't be that difficult for him to improve on that front. Surely a fresh start now that the TOF has gone will appeal to him and if not then we get shot of him next year.

Ed Hunter The Gooner

Post by Ed Hunter The Gooner »

Ernie71 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Ehrm... can you name one single player during Wenger era who turned up in big games? Did any of them fuckers go over their normal level? No they didn't.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Very different players but the difference is that Bale can win you a game by himself where as Ozil is always dependent on others.

Post by 1989 »

No one doubts Özil's talent and ability, it is his temperament and attitude/mentality that is constantly questioned, and rightly so.

Yankee_Gooner_Dandee

Post by Yankee_Gooner_Dandee »

I like Ozil, but Fabregas in his prime was 10x the player.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Ernie71 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:41 pm
What i always say to fans of Ozil is when Madrid decided to sign him why did none of the European power house teams try to get him. How come Bayern didnt want him? This so called assist machine. Why was it only 4th place Arsenal who went in for him
And has anyone noticed when he was at Madrid with one of the best players ever Ronaldo for him to put his assists to Madrid won one La Liga and no CL's. Since he was sold and replaced by Bale.They have won one LaLiga and four count em CL's.
Are you talking about when he was at Madrid and set the European record count em EUROPEAN record for most assists count em in all leagues count em? You talking about that time right? :oops: :lol:

You seem to be misunderstanding the conversation. No one has said he's an assist machine. No has said or even implied he is faultless or the best player in the world. The point is a player with his technical ability when used correctly creates chances creates assists.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Ernie71 wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

You might want to check out the chances he created against those teams. Assists are only assists if the striker converts the chance. We have had utter gash like Welwide, Sanogoals and Walcott and average strikers like Giroud and Lacazette trying to convert those chances. It's a fucking miracle Ozil has hit 50 assists at all tbh. :lol:

As for the "big away games"? By that simplistic reckoning Henry was shit huh? After all the vast majority of his PL goals were scored at home. :roll:

markyp

Post by markyp »

Ernie71 wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:41 pm
nobody bought him because he wasnt for sale right until the final few moments of the transfer window,everybody else had done their business and as per usual we had done nothing,we were the only club in need of him and who could do the business,its like if Hazard became available in the last day of the window how many clubs could actually step in and buy him when most would already have done their business,not many