Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GranadaJoe

Re: Unai Emery

Post by GranadaJoe »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:48 am
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:26 am
people think lpool will finish 10-20 points behind citeh? :shock:

i think you're in for a very big surprise this time out - i know he ballsed up on saturday but allison is a huge improvement in goal and joe gomez at the back looks like a real upgrade on what they're used to. granted it's taken big money to build the squad he wants but who hasn't in the PL? Will be surprised if they don't win a title in the next few years tbh

I must admit I can't see the difference being towards the 20 point margin this season. Whatever we think of Klopp and the victims somebody at Fenway is pulling the right strings and they have got some serious forward momentum going. Whether they can topple citeh is another thing altogether though and perhaps, whilst we continue on our merry way dicking about as also rans these days, we have to be thankful that the arabs at citeh are ensuring that the scum and victims don't get their hand on the league trophy. And if the victims do run citeh close this season I reckon the arabs will just get the cheque book out again.

The mousers pay £750 for their season tickets so it's good to know that our £1250 is a bargain :rubchin:

To be fair to the Mousers, that is more than they paid for their house.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:38 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:

i think you're in for a very big surprise this time out - i know he ballsed up on saturday but allison is a huge improvement in goal and joe gomez at the back looks like a real upgrade on what they're used to. granted it's taken big money to build the squad he wants but who hasn't in the PL? Will be surprised if they don't win a title in the next few years tbh

I must admit I can't see the difference being towards the 20 point margin this season. Whatever we think of Klopp and the victims somebody at Fenway is pulling the right strings and they have got some serious forward momentum going. Whether they can topple citeh is another thing altogether though and perhaps, whilst we continue on our merry way dicking about as also rans these days, we have to be thankful that the arabs at citeh are ensuring that the scum and victims don't get their hand on the league trophy. And if the victims do run citeh close this season I reckon the arabs will just get the cheque book out again.

The mousers pay £750 for their season tickets so it's good to know that our £1250 is a bargain :rubchin:

Ouch! :lol:

But seriously do they have to pay Social Welfare over there for a house nowadays? :lol: :wink:

Ooh just remembered I think you did an Oirish government fudge and rebranded your dept of SW as the Department for Work and Pensions! :lol: We now call ours the department for employment affairs and social protection. Such a warm cuddly name - the snowflakes love it. :lol: :wink:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:17 am
GranadaJoe wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:

But seriously do they have to pay Social Welfare over there for a house nowadays? :lol: :wink:

Ooh just remembered I think you did an Oirish government fudge and rebranded your dept of SW as the Department for Work and Pensions! :lol: We now call ours the department for employment affairs and social protection. Such a warm cuddly name - the snowflakes love it. :lol: :wink:
Every year I have to decide whether to renew my season ticket or use the money to become a property developer in Liverpool and buy a whole fucking street. So far I've stuck with the football but these last few years have been a close call.

Why not just call it the 'Department for taking away money from people who get off their arse to earn it and give it to a bunch of lazy scrounging fuckers who can't be bothered to earn a living' or the 'Department for increasing the state pension age which you'll never actually fucking receive.' Maybe not catchy enough.....needs some work doing......and we all know who won't be doing that :lol:

rich31

Post by rich31 »

Regarding Emery and our start i think there are certainly at least some signs that change is afoot and once he starts Torreira and finally realises cech is crap then things should improve further.

However I really do not like his take on playing it out from the back though for 3 main reasons
1) Passing it along the goal line to a fullback means all the opposition have to do is for one of them to close down that fullback as soon as the ball heads to him and another close down the keeper and its immediate panic stations.
2) Cech is just not a ball playing goalkeeper.
3) Finally if cech passes the ball forward out of his area to Guendouzi or a CB that ball has to be diagonal and not square on(as i have seen on a few occasions) as then the player can take it on the turn and look at his options rather than either have to play it back to cech (back to panic stations!) or take the time to turn and then assess his options once again allowing time to be closed down.
I certainly dont consider myself as any kind of tactical genius but surely these are fundamental floors in Emerys take on playing from the back.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

rich31 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:55 pm
Regarding Emery and our start i think there are certainly at least some signs that change is afoot and once he starts Torreira and finally realises cech is crap then things should improve further.

However I really do not like his take on playing it out from the back though for 3 main reasons
1) Passing it along the goal line to a fullback means all the opposition have to do is for one of them to close down that fullback as soon as the ball heads to him and another close down the keeper and its immediate panic stations.
3) Finally if cech passes the ball forward out of his area to Guendouzi or a CB that ball has to be diagonal and not square on(as i have seen on a few occasions) as then the player can take it on the turn and look at his options rather than either have to play it back to cech (back to panic stations!) or take the time to turn and then assess his options once again allowing time to be closed down.
I certainly dont consider myself as any kind of tactical genius but surely these are fundamental floors in Emerys take on playing from the back.
Tell me this rich! And anyone else who can be arsed!
If in 6,7,8 games time, Xhaka is still ahead of Torreira, Cech’s shiteness was still sneaking under the radar and dislikes 1,2 & 3 are still being unconvincingly deployed and we are sitting maybe 10-12 points off the top 4.
Would you be concerned over Emerys ability to take us forward?
I’m not asking this because I believe this is necessarily where we will be, but to ascertain what it would take give others cause for concern and what their outlook would be?
Personally I would be calling for him to be sacked, because I don’t believe we need to give someone 2 or 3 seasons to show whether or not they have what it takes to take us forward!

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:

Not that I'm defending them but their season ticket only covers league matches only. They have to pay extra for CL and both domestic cups. It roughly works out to be the same as our 26 match season ticket.

And yes it is more than most paid for their houses in A field.

rich31

Post by rich31 »

goonersid wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:05 pm
rich31 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Tell me this rich! And anyone else who can be arsed!
If in 6,7,8 games time, Xhaka is still ahead of Torreira, Cech’s shiteness was still sneaking under the radar and dislikes 1,2 & 3 are still being unconvincingly deployed and we are sitting maybe 10-12 points off the top 4.
Would you be concerned over Emerys ability to take us forward?
I’m not asking this because I believe this is necessarily where we will be, but to ascertain what it would take give others cause for concern and what their outlook would be?
Personally I would be calling for him to be sacked, because I don’t believe we need to give someone 2 or 3 seasons to show whether or not they have what it takes to take us forward!
Well Sid if that scenario plays out as you described over the next 6-8 games then yes i would be concerned .However there is a world of difference between concern and wanting him sacked.I think people have to give him at least a season to be able to form a valid opinion on his suitability for the job. The fact he has even bought a defensive hard working midfielder and a GK suggests he thinks there is room for improvement in those positions .Which is something wenger failed or refused to recognise.Now all hes got to do is play them :D I will judge him in May :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:36 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:17 am
GranadaJoe wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:

Every year I have to decide whether to renew my season ticket or use the money to become a property developer in Liverpool and buy a whole fucking street. So far I've stuck with the football but these last few years have been a close call.

Why not just call it the 'Department for taking away money from people who get off their arse to earn it and give it to a bunch of lazy scrounging fuckers who can't be bothered to earn a living' or the 'Department for increasing the state pension age which you'll never actually fucking receive.' Maybe not catchy enough.....needs some work doing......and we all know who won't be doing that :lol:
8)

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:17 am
GranadaJoe wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:

Not that I'm defending them but their season ticket only covers league matches only. They have to pay extra for CL and both domestic cups. It roughly works out to be the same as our 26 match season ticket.

Not defending them? Well it sounds like it to me ya scouse loving fucker :lol: :wink:

I didn't know that their ST doesn't include CL but that's still a better deal as I see it. I would like to have the option to buy for cup games as I often can't go midweek due to work. It would also be interesting to see how many folk at the bowl would bother with the Thursday night crap that we are being treated to. That might just serve as a timely reminder to the club that they are falling short. They would have to pressgang people on the street and force them into the ground to fill it and the local school kids would be subjected to a free ticket fest.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

I can understand why Emery is taking his time with changing the team. He's embedding a new culture and he has to work out who is capable of changing. Got to hand it to Cech that at least he is open to change and a new way of playing.
Emery is giving players a chance to adapt to his culture of playing. Sarri has had a different start but hasn't changed many players that won the FA cup in May. It's clear that those chelski players are used to adapting to a new manager. They play well then assess it in 6 months. Conte tried to adapt to Chelsea, we thumped them, then he instilled his way on them. Sarri has tweeked it and the players have responded.
Emery has a much bigger task, with less capable players. Someone already has pointed out the one outstanding player we've had that could fit in perfectly with Emery was swapped in January for one that is not as energetic. I wonder if Sanchez will move back?

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Nos89 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:00 am
I can understand why Emery is taking his time with changing the team. He's embedding a new culture and he has to work out who is capable of changing. Got to hand it to Cech that at least he is open to change and a new way of playing.
Emery is giving players a chance to adapt to his culture of playing. Sarri has had a different start but hasn't changed many players that won the FA cup in May. It's clear that those chelski players are used to adapting to a new manager. They play well then assess it in 6 months. Conte tried to adapt to Chelsea, we thumped them, then he instilled his way on them. Sarri has tweeked it and the players have responded.
Emery has a much bigger task, with less capable players. Someone already has pointed out the one outstanding player we've had that could fit in perfectly with Emery was swapped in January for one that is not as energetic. I wonder if Sanchez will move back?
well said.

that was me. :mrgreen:

people forget that these players are valuable assets and for business reasons they have to be given a chance while they are under contract. we will get nothing for them in January and the summer if they are not playing.

from a business perspective as well as team spirit its better for us if they adapt and play well. at least this year.

bergkamp10

Post by bergkamp10 »

GranadaJoe wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:47 pm
falkirk goon wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:41 pm
I like him though i can't understand the persistence with cech, xhaka and bellend when better options are on the bench.Hopefully in time the three aforementioned ringpieces will be moved out of the side :barscarf: and replaced with Leno lichsteiner and torreira 8) other areas need ironing out but I'm sure he will get it done 8)
It's just refreshing having a manager who appears to do tactics :shock: and has a gameplan.After years of le bulbeye mismanaging us it's nice to have someone with a plan 8)

The international break gives him a nice opportunity to make those changes, and I'll be very pissed off if he doesn't make at least two of them.
Guys, he has to afford these players 5-6 games within his new regime to gauge how they are or not effective.

Remember this is or at least should be a 2-3 year plan or re-development of the team!!

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

bergkamp10 wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:17 pm
GranadaJoe wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:47 pm
falkirk goon wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:41 pm
I like him though i can't understand the persistence with cech, xhaka and bellend when better options are on the bench.Hopefully in time the three aforementioned ringpieces will be moved out of the side :barscarf: and replaced with Leno lichsteiner and torreira 8) other areas need ironing out but I'm sure he will get it done 8)
It's just refreshing having a manager who appears to do tactics :shock: and has a gameplan.After years of le bulbeye mismanaging us it's nice to have someone with a plan 8)

The international break gives him a nice opportunity to make those changes, and I'll be very pissed off if he doesn't make at least two of them.
Guys, he has to afford these players 5-6 games within his new regime to gauge how they are or not effective.

Remember this is or at least should be a 2-3 year plan or re-development of the team!!
A goalkeeper who is clearly well past it isn’t going to turn it around because of a new manager. The actual extent of Cech’s inability to kick a football has been both surprising and comical, but Jesus Christ incarnate couldn’t magically reverse the fact that his reactions are slow, he struggles to get down to shots and has long since lost all command. Why pay 25m for a keeper if you’re not going to assume that he is better than Cech, who has certainly not earned some inherent right to the number 1 shirt.

I get seeing whether players who were poor under Wenger can prove to be a decent asset under him, where the option was letting them go for nothing. That said, none of those players have earned the right to hold the starting jersey until they are dispossessed. Xhaka has had two seasons of painful mediocrity so if he is going to get a shot at proving he can be a decent player (not in a millennium for me) he should have to earn it through cameos, cup fixtures etc and not by starting the first 5-6+ games.

Allgunsblazin

Post by Allgunsblazin »

I think he gets a lot more out of the existing players along with his additions I expect a pot or two heading our way at the business end of the season....
Mark my words infidels..... 8)

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:17 am
GranadaJoe wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
Henry Norris 1913 wrote:

No they don't mate they either jump the turnstiles or rob some poor fuckerr who works for a living an pays his way - usually someone from outside their scabby shythole of a dodge city.