Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DarylAFC

Re: Unai Emery

Post by DarylAFC »

Not been on here for a while and at first I thought I was on the wrong site. Positivity amongst Arsenal fans :shock:

Joking aside, I'm really warming to Dick. It was always going to be hard but now it just seems so natural (Not read the whole thread so sorry if I'm late with all the phallus jokes).

But seriously, well happy with things at the mo. Still a bit shaky at times but miles ahead of where we were under "Him".

4th place trophy, here we come! :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:16 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:37 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:14 am
augie wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:51 am
Gunner Rob wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:04 am
what has impressed me the most in the last 3 games is that in each game we have gone 2-0 up inside an hour.
when did that happen in the latter years of the Wenger reign??! it makes me think does Emery actually give a decent team talk at half time ?

v Newcastle United 2-0 in the 58th minute
v Vorska 2-0 in the 48th minute
v Everton 2-0 in the 59th minute

That first period in the 2nd half is where we have been doing all the damage, and it is a time which barely used to exist under Wenger as he would be too busy fiddling with his zip and waiting for the 70th minute to bring on his sub :roll:

I would agree with that BUT it always seems to follow a fairly poor first half performance when you ask yourself what the fcuk is going on ? Most of the training and tactics are done in the days leading up to a game so there should be absolutely no reason why we shouldnt be flying in the first half of games, but the players seem flat and hesitant in the first half of games and I dont understand who :?

Just thinking the same thing. Vorska was irrelevant to a point and the entire Everton game was one of the most boring nothing 90 minutes I have sat through for a long time. Everton are always there for the taking at our place but we really had a good go at chucking the match away in the first half. Tbf to Cech he made some decent saves to keep us in it and we could have easily found ourselves having to chase the game in the second half.

Dick really needs to get the Ozil question sorted out and quick. I assume Blade doesn't venture far from his thread so I think I'm safe to comment here. I watched Ozil closely on Sunday and there was just nothing much coming from him which unfortunately is all too frequent an occurence. If we are going to start playing from the first minute then we need him to be on his game and up for it in order to kick start things. Can see Watford who have some big lumps giving him a pretty rough time on Saturday - fingers crossed he responds.
Hmmm.... except for putting one on a plate for Ramsey to fuck up. :lol:

Ozil was quiet against the Toffees but if you watched him closely then you'd have seen that the only 5 or 6 half decent passes we managed to put together - before the goals - came from him and (shock horror :wink: ) Xhaka.

Even without the BladeMong it seems the agenda is still strong on here. Ramsey Xhaka Boomerang and Lacazette all played worse than Ozil but he's still the one you point at..... I would qualify that with "up until the two strikers scored" but tbh both did fuck all really before or after they scored.

The whole team were flat and looked nervy. I honestly think that nervy vibe starts with Cech making the defenders nervous, who in turn make the midfielders nervous, which makes the strikers play within themselves as they are not getting enough service.
I'm not sure that you can say that all four played worse than Ozil, that's quite a statement given that you're dealing with very fine margins of shitness against Everton :lol: But we're still not getting enough from a player of his ability. That is why the finger gets pointed at him because we know he can do it whereas we don't have any expectation of Xhaka playing a blinder or of twirly not falling over his own feet. But if Ozil can't take a home match against Everton by the scruff of the neck then what can we expect from him. I'm not slating him, I would just like to see him take charge of a game more often but it just doesn't seem to happen.

I think the nervy vibe thing was a bit better on Sunday as on a couple of occasions Cech just got rid of it up the park. Also Torreira's natural positional sense helped as he was always available deep to help the defence play out which in addition to Xhaka gave them more options. It's still an awkward watch but it was a bit better. Torreira is like a breathe of fresh air though - somebody who understands his responsibilities and doesn't just go wandering aimlessly up the park like some of them. There was just no spark to the game though that was the disappointing thing - it was like watching an end of season game with nothing to play for. Maybe the players are fed up with Thursday / Sunday football too :lol: Also, where was that pressing game that all the talk was about recently - very little sign of any of that on Sunday!

Fingers crossed that they have got things out of their system after Sunday and Dick gives them all a bit of a rocket so they are up for it on Saturday - a proper match on a Saturday with a 3pm kick off :barscarf:
Have to agree with most of that. Only thing I'd say on the Ozil front is he isn't that type of midfielder that takes the game by the scruff like a Fabregas of old or a DeBruyne. He is a very limited player in that he really only creates chances. I think we just have to accept that is his strength and if Dick can build a strong midfield around that fine and if not then it'll be a shame but the team must come first.

I think we can afford to carry him if we have players like the Dozer and Torriera in there but we simply cannot carry an Ozil and a Ramsey in the same midfield.

Torreira and the Dozer are what we've been crying out for in this team for years. When I saw Torriera try to tackle a bloke with his head I just said to myself no matter what èlse he does with us I'm gonna love him for that alone! :lol: 8)

augie

Post by augie »

Why did none of these journo cnuts have the courage to come out with articles like this when wenger was still in charge ?? :banghead:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... liverpool/

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:49 am
Why did none of these journo cnuts have the courage to come out with articles like this when wenger was still in charge ?? :banghead:

Because we were right for years and they were too embarrassed to admit they were playing catch up - bunch of spineless wan.kers.

Love the term in the article deponce-ify the Arsenal......exactly what we've needed for sometime. Also interesting to read the Cech comments recently that TOF put style before winning......something else that doesn't exactly come as shock to those of us capable of thinking for ourselves.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:

The sandwiches, augie. The sandwiches at the pressers. :oops: :lol:

That is what kept those shallow fucking empty wànkers timid. :oops:

Especially that fat bearded hack cùnt Martin Samuel who keeps flicking his fucking fringe every two seconds on Sunday Supplement. :censored:

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

augie wrote:

Good read until it stated that Arsenal under George hardly played beautiful football to win titles - our 89 and 91 teams were a joy to watch, lazy journalism to label them like the 94 /95 1-0 if we were lucky team

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

StuartL wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:33 pm
augie wrote:

Good read until it stated that Arsenal under George hardly played beautiful football to win titles - our 89 and 91 teams were a joy to watch, lazy journalism to label them like the 94 /95 1-0 if we were lucky team
90/91 could be my Arsenal favourite ever overall title winning. We just looked so comfortable that season with everything clicking into place with Limpar and Seaman!

It boils my piss reading about George Grahams title winning teams being labelled boring! It probably mostly emanated from the Scouse loving press who were pissed off with their demise!!

From 87 - 91 we had a young, vibrant and hungry team mixed with a few smattering of older players that knew how to get stuck in, plus one of the, if not the most prolific front man in the league with Smudger.

herbert

Post by herbert »

Natural Born Gooner wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:38 pm
StuartL wrote:
augie wrote:

90/91 could be my Arsenal favourite ever overall title winning. We just looked so comfortable that season with everything clicking into place with Limpar and Seaman!

It boils my piss reading about George Grahams title winning teams being labelled boring! It probably mostly emanated from the Scouse loving press who were pissed off with their demise!!

From 87 - 91 we had a young, vibrant and hungry team mixed with a few smattering of older players that knew how to get stuck in, plus one of the, if not the most prolific front man in the league with Smudger.
Yes that team was good going forward with Limpar,Merse Rocky and smudger and I think that the boring label is just a credit to how good the goalie and back four played that season, one defeat and the fact that 4 of them played in every game including fa cup and league cup ,50 games in total :shock: they didnt know what an injury was and only TA missed half a dozen games and that had nothing to do with being injured :lol:

Post by 1989 »

Class manager and very likeable.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

I'd love to see Emery win the EFL Cup in his first go.

Don't get how Wenger the greatest ever FA Cup manager was never able to transfer that winning mentality into the League Cup.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

StuartL wrote:
augie wrote:

I know mate, me too.
in 89, we were level with the scousers on points & goal difference, we won the league by virtue scoring more goals than those scallies :shock: yet they were free flowing and we were boring.

In 91, we opened with a away win at Wimbledon can’t remember if it was 5-1or 3-1 and ended with a 6-1 battering of Coventry...no credit given, fuck em, fuck em all, still prefer when it’s just us vs them all, never sat comfortably when we became some people’s secon team yuuurgh :cussing:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

herbert wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:22 am
StuartL wrote:
augie wrote:

Yes that team was good going forward with Limpar,Merse Rocky and smudger and I think that the boring label is just a credit to how good the goalie and back four played that season, one defeat and the fact that 4 of them played in every game including fa cup and league cup ,50 games in total :shock: they didnt know what an injury was and only TA missed half a dozen games and that had nothing to do with being injured :lol:

And who fed Smudge back in 89......Brian, Brian Marwood, Brian Marwood on the wing :lol:

And after his injury we signed the Super Swede - good times.

Remember proper wingers :barscarf: The songs were better back then too :lol:

Midz

Post by Midz »

Not long now until they are rebranding your half-time Bovril as ‘beef jus’.
oh dear I'm dying laughing at that one :D :D :D

JimmyAFC

Post by JimmyAFC »

I'm just loving how hungry Emery seems so far.

Seems like he's extremely passionate about football, winning and improving the squad inside and out.

He also seems like a really respectable and good bloke.

I hope he can be successful at the Arsenal. :barscarf:

Post by 1989 »

Another right call fucking Ramsey off. He should've pushed to get him sold in the summer though but probably wanted to see how he would fit into his system first.