Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DarylAFC

Re: Unai Emery

Post by DarylAFC »

1989 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:57 am
Another right call fucking Ramsey off. He should've pushed to get him sold in the summer though but probably wanted to see how he would fit into his system first.
Sorry I'm a bit slow, what have I missed? If Ramsey is gone can't say I'd miss him.

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

7 wins on the trot now and we're not even playing well. I know we haven't played a big team in that time but you can only beat who you play. I don't know if Wonga ever won 7 on the trot and if he did it would have been the early 2000's I imagine?

I like Emery, he's doing a decent job so far with a very limited squad.

augie

Post by augie »

TeeCee wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:57 pm
7 wins on the trot now and we're not even playing well. I know we haven't played a big team in that time but you can only beat who you play. I don't know if Wonga ever won 7 on the trot and if he did it would have been the early 2000's I imagine?

This point is too often overlooked imo - in some ways we have been lucky in games (although how we lost to the chavs I will never know), but we have shown some real character in those games to get the wins, when in previous seasons we would not have done so. Our back line is still sub-standard (I know that I am being kind to them with that description :lol: ) and I include both full backs in that.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

TeeCee wrote:

:D

We won 8 in a row in the league in the 2014-15 season during a two month spell back in February-April 2015.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I also believe that because players now have competition for places in the team they have to try hard(er), unlike under wenker when he would play his usual favourites no matter how poor they were playing. (Bellerin, Ozil and Ramsey being the main culprits)

Post by 1989 »

Emery is actually winning us games with his substitutions, consistently.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:28 pm
I also believe that because players now have competition for places in the team they have to try hard(er), unlike under wenker when he would play his usual favourites no matter how poor they were playing. (Bellerin, Ozil and Ramsey being the main culprits)
Leno was just on TV saying it was a good game but not perfect and so the players need to watch the game so they can improve.

Every player seems to have bought into this ethos - work hard and improve.

Emery too in his post match presser said he is still looking for improvement from them.

I really don’t think that under the ex manager we would have won today, against Everton or West Ham.

And that chaps is progress, something we’ve not seen for many a year.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

clockender1 wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:52 pm
OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:28 pm
Leno was just on TV saying it was a good game but not perfect and so the players need to watch the game so they can improve.

Every player seems to have bought into this ethos - work hard and improve.

Emery too in his post match presser said he is still looking for improvement from them.

I really don’t think that under the ex manager we would have won today, against Everton or West Ham.

And that chaps is progress, something we’ve not seen for many a year.
They certainly wouldn’t have bothered watching it back and trying to improve as Wenker thought concentrating on errors or room to improve was wrong !! :banghead:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:27 pm
TeeCee wrote:

:D

We won 8 in a row in the league in the 2014-15 season during a two month spell back in February-April 2015.
Ahh those late season runs with the pressure off and the smell of the fourth place trophy in our nostrils.

God how I miss those days :(

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

We used to have these run of wins with Wenger. But they came to an end eventually, and with Wenger the losses would roll for 3-4 games. The key here is when we do lose a game, do we falter, or do we win the next week.

One thing Emery has brought, is some energy and stability. Wenger was a nervous wreck on the sidelines, eyes bulging and melting down at the fourth official - its bad energy. Emery by contrast claps players on and makes active substitutions.

Simple attitude adjustment has done wonders

Post by 1989 »

Love how they created a heat map of Emery's touchline movement on MOTD last night. :lol:

Proud to have him as our manager. Passion, proactiveness, intelligence, tactical nous, winning mentality, hard work. 8)

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Said from the start that we will have a decent idea how things are taking shape come Christmas. It’s a huge job to turn things around. We will see whether these victories where we have ridden our luck a bit are just lucky or a sign of more grittiness and fortitude.

Shape is still a way off looking right but you’ve got to think that we made very few additions and we’ve been a mess for years.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Post by 1989 »

Certain players showing signs of improvement under his management as well, like Iwobi and Xhaka. It's not a coincidence, it's proper management. Something we haven't had in over a decade.

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

1989 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:27 am
Certain players showing signs of improvement under his management as well, like Iwobi and Xhaka. It's not a coincidence, it's proper management. Something we haven't had in over a decade.
Agree about Iwobi, but Xhaka had more expletives fired at him yesterday from my section, than any other player other than Bellerin. His ball retention has been woeful since he came to the club.

In terms of getting up to a level where we are competing for the league again, and back in the CL, requires players with much more ability than Xhaka.

There was one other thing, Auba on the left or right wing isn't working. There was an attack where Bellerin was on the inside of Auba running in on goal, Auba passed to him and of course Bellerin lost the ball being the furthest forward of any Arsenal player. Any of the top teams will exploit Bellerin going for walkies when he shouldn't.