Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
DB10GOONER

Re: Unai Emery

Post by DB10GOONER »

clockender1 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:29 pm
He was quality today.

He made a brave decision - which proved right.

His goal celebration in front of the vermin was bang on and after the game he showed class and refused to blame the ref.

Today was a big day for him.

Even if we finish 6th im well happy with his attitude desire and hard work in his first season.
Great post and bang on the money mate. 8)

Leyton Gooner
Location: Lokomotiv Plovdiv in the Channel 5 Thursday night cup

Post by Leyton Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
clockender1 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:29 pm
He was quality today.

He made a brave decision - which proved right.

His goal celebration in front of the vermin was bang on and after the game he showed class and refused to blame the ref.

Today was a big day for him.

Even if we finish 6th im well happy with his attitude desire and hard work in his first season.
Great post and bang on the money mate. 8)
Couldn't agree more. Dick well and truly IN :barscarf: 8)

In the aftermath I took comfort in thinking back to this fixture last season when we were second best under that French *word censored* and I struggled to give a fuck even though it was the Filth. A lot has changed in a year even if we end up with only a small improvement in league position.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

I thought he got the starting XI wrong, and I even commented as much on here, but he proved me wrong.

I am happy to be proved wrong every game :barscarf:

We were unlucky not to get 3 points, we were close to doing a PL double over them.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

AkneyGooner wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:20 pm
I thought he got the starting XI wrong, and I even commented as much on here, but he proved me wrong.

We were unlucky not to get 3 points, we were close to doing a PL double over them.
We should also have beaten Chelsea away and Utd away too - we could easily have been in 3rd place by now, which quite frankly would have been miraculous for a new manager inheriting a poor side.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

StuartL wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:14 pm
AkneyGooner wrote:

We should also have beaten Chelsea away and Utd away too - we could easily have been in 3rd place by now, which quite frankly would have been miraculous for a new manager inheriting a poor side.
yep.

there is absolutely no doubt that apart from the first city game, we have been much much better against the top six this year.

and that's with pretty much the same team the ex-manager had - which proves our point that it was mainly his lack of tactical nous (among many other things. many) that made us perennial outsiders for the last decade.

Dick was an inspired choice - he is pretty much the anti of his predecessor - hard working, disciplined, tactical, humble, and passionate.

Plus, i really like the fact that his matchday Arsenal jacket has the Art Deco Arsenal Crest, rather than the cartoon. i think he chose that intentionally. :barscarf:

we are lucky to have him here.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

2 simple words!
Fuck Off!

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

clockender1 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:28 pm
StuartL wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:14 pm
AkneyGooner wrote:

yep.

there is absolutely no doubt that apart from the first city game, we have been much much better against the top six this year.

and that's with pretty much the same team the ex-manager had - which proves our point that it was mainly his lack of tactical nous (among many other things. many) that made us perennial outsiders for the last decade.

Dick was an inspired choice - he is pretty much the anti of his predecessor - hard working, disciplined, tactical, humble, and passionate.

Plus, i really like the fact that his matchday Arsenal jacket has the Art Deco Arsenal Crest, rather than the cartoon. i think he chose that intentionally. :barscarf:

we are lucky to have him here.
Are you insane!

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Strange in match decisions today. Substitutions didn't work at all. mikhi at rb was an obvious fawed decision. A LB for a striker when we need another goal. We ended the game with an invisible number 9, 10 and 11. We bossed that game for 40 mins and somehow let it fall apart. Whilst the players didn't cover themselves with any pride, for the first this season the manager made a proper ricket of the second half.
I was saying today that emery was criticised as a failure at psg for not getting past last 16, yet tuchel did the same from a much stronger position. I still believe emery is a top coach, but the decisions he made today were all very wrong.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

One of the problems Emery faces is the interweb knee jerk reaction. Every game every decision is in the spotlight because of the job he took and who he replaced.

He'll get most decisions right but like every manager he'll get a few wrong too. And every time he does there's outrage as if no other manager ever made a mistake.

These Internet personalities calling for his head after less than a full season are being fucking silly. He inherited a shit show of a team a broken club structure and a group of overpaid underperforming players in a comfort zone with a loser mentality. And he is crucified for not turning that around in half a season with no money? Cop the fuck on haters. :roll:

The fact we are not 12th is a miracle and down to the things he has gotten right.

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:43 am
Strange in match decisions today. Substitutions didn't work at all. mikhi at rb was an obvious fawed decision. A LB for a striker when we need another goal. We ended the game with an invisible number 9, 10 and 11. We bossed that game for 40 mins and somehow let it fall apart. Whilst the players didn't cover themselves with any pride, for the first this season the manager made a proper ricket of the second half.
I was saying today that emery was criticised as a failure at psg for not getting past last 16, yet tuchel did the same from a much stronger position. I still believe emery is a top coach, but the decisions he made today were all very wrong.
But at least he is trying different things. We all complained over the last few seasons about how Wenger did the same thing every game, win or lose, even the 70 min subs.
Yet here we have a manager who always tries something different, sometimes they work, sometimes not, but at least he's doing it.

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:23 am
One of the problems Emery faces is the interweb knee jerk reaction. Every game every decision is in the spotlight because of the job he took and who he replaced.

He'll get most decisions right but like every manager he'll get a few wrong too. And every time he does there's outrage as if no other manager ever made a mistake.

These Internet personalities calling for his head after less than a full season are being fucking silly. He inherited a shit show of a team a broken club structure and a group of overpaid underperforming players in a comfort zone with a loser mentality. And he is crucified for not turning that around in half a season with no money? Cop the fuck on haters. :roll:

The fact we are not 12th is a miracle and down to the things he has gotten right.
Spot on. He needs backing not criticising. Its the dross he's working with that is the problem.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

The man needs a couple of years. He needs time. That's not hypocritical after I slammed Wenger for 10 years because he had years and years to fix things and didn't. He had chance after chance after chance to solve problems but didn't. Emery has taken over a team which needs major work at a club which has told him has no money. The man has done a good job so far this season and quite frankly, I think we are doing better than a lot of people expected and better than his squad of players could be doing under someone else. Let the man have a chance to build a squad of his own players that can play his way. Anyone who thinks he could have just walked in one morning and brushed away 15 years ofa culture of apathy and mediocrity needs to wake up and live in the real world. Things have improved, without doubt and the first four months of the seasons showed a team who were better organised and more energised. January to early Spring is always a tough time and we are sitting 5th in the table with a devcent chance of getting into the top 4 and I will still say, getting into the last 8 of a European competition. Remember how utter shit Janaury- April used to be year after year? Remember how even in the successfull Wenger days, he would regularly make absolutely horrific substitutions which cost us games and rememeber how we had the best team in the world for a few years and still couldn't get anywhere in Europe?
Remember how we needed a fresh approach for 10 years? We have it, let's be a bit more realistic, let's give the man some time and support. Things will get better, he is a proper manager who knows what to do.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:23 am

I agree with most of that.

A lot of the problem that emery had last night was that laca had got himself suspended and the other striker we have decided he was going to pish about contributing the square root of fcuk all - without doubt dick would have subbed him way earlier if he had laca (or even wellshit) on the bench, but when he could finally stomach no more of this Gabonese pri.ck strolling around, he had no option but to replace him with a midfielder. It was far from ideal.
I would assume the reason he brought kolasniac on was cos it was plain to see that monreal was beginning to get torn a new arsehole by the winger - he identified a problem (something wenger could never do), and made efforts to address it by giving monreal some added DEFENSIVE protection. The fact that both of those clowns fcuked off up the pitch is on them, and showed a total lack of brains and responsibility that has run through this club for years.
Mikki at right full was a strange decision and one that I cant agree with - the fact is that we didn't get torn a new one down his side but imo that is more down to luck than design cos rennes didn't really attack as much down that side as I would have expected. Maybe destroying monreal down the other side left them without the need to exploit mikki. The one thing that really concerns me about his decision to play mikki at right full, is that it shows a big lack of confidence at playing maitland-niles there on sunday - I have already expressed my fear about rashford playing that wingand imo amn was our best option there, but now it looks like he aint an option at all

Last night dick went with the same tactics that he was lauded for at the weekend, but of course he is being slated for using them now. That happens sometimes cos no 2 matches are the same, and personally I would have considered a back 3 with the manure game in mind at the weekend. The changes in the starting 11 were one's that I would have made too, but as I said, my substitutions would have been different. Last night was a kick in the bollox for us - a narrow defeat MIGHT have been acceptable, but a 2 goal defeat and the manner of it are unacceptable imo. We need to stick together and get our minds focused on sunday now, cos that is a far more important game than last night was

Bob Bayliss

Post by Bob Bayliss »

I think Emery has to be given this season and probably next to turn us into genuine title contenders. The stench of Wenger's grotesque mis-management of the last decade cannot be eradicated overnight. Too many of his failures are still at the club: those lacking talent such as Mustafi and Iwobi, and those expecting to coast on a grotesque wage (mention no name). They all have to be shipped out. Unfortunately we're losing Ramsey on a free, one of the few Wenger players who generally delivered, especially on the big stage.

That isn't to say that I am sure Dick is going to work out: far from it. The early evidence is mixed. On the one hand, there have been some more encouraging displays in the League this season: both matches against Spurs and at home to Chelsea along with the usual flat-track bullying. He often makes intelligent substitutions. But yet, but yet.....I am not sure that he has enough acumen when it comes to producing teams who can defend. While most of the players he has to work with are Wenger's legacy, I'm not convinced that he's going to recruit the calibre that we require. His cv doesn't suggest that it's his strength. And then there's Steve Bould. While his coaching abilities were never really given a fair test on the assumption he wasn't allowed to do anything except put the cones out under the autocratic Wenger, there is no evidence that they are any more effective under this guy.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Bob Bayliss wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:21 am
I think Emery has to be given this season and probably next to turn us into genuine title contenders. The stench of Wenger's grotesque mis-management of the last decade cannot be eradicated overnight. Too many of his failures are still at the club: those lacking talent such as Mustafi and Iwobi, and those expecting to coast on a grotesque wage (mention no name). They all have to be shipped out. Unfortunately we're losing Ramsey on a free, one of the few Wenger players who generally delivered, especially on the big stage.

That isn't to say that I am sure Dick is going to work out: far from it. The early evidence is mixed. On the one hand, there have been some more encouraging displays in the League this season: both matches against Spurs and at home to Chelsea along with the usual flat-track bullying. He often makes intelligent substitutions. But yet, but yet.....I am not sure that he has enough acumen when it comes to producing teams who can defend. While most of the players he has to work with are Wenger's legacy, I'm not convinced that he's going to recruit the calibre that we require. His cv doesn't suggest that it's his strength. And then there's Steve Bould. While his coaching abilities were never really given a fair test on the assumption he wasn't allowed to do anything except put the cones out under the autocratic Wenger, there is no evidence that they are any more effective under this guy.
he is doing a great job but he won't turn us into title contenders.
to have that you need to have real ambition at the club - Kroenke has stated many times he is not here to win the PL.

it is remarkable that people STILL seem to think this is the aim of the club. It used to be yes but not now.