Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
clockender1

Re: Unai Emery

Post by clockender1 »

Clash wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:05 pm
I hope you're right mate but I keep seeing people say this about Pires, Henry or Bergkamp when trying to reassure us about Pepe's dreadful start but I don't thinks its comparable!
pepe got two assists in his first start. that wasn't dreadful imo.

i think he is trying too hard.

TH14 was stuck out wide initially and God had a ton of chances and some wonderful saves were made against him - the volley he had in the first half against Southampton was point blank and the keeper fucking saved it.

Pires i remember did take a little time, but his style was so very different to Overmars that i think the Highbury crowd gave him the benefit of the doubt.

augie

Post by augie »

clockender1 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:27 pm
Clash wrote:
I hope you're right mate but I keep seeing people say this about Pires, Henry or Bergkamp when trying to reassure us about Pepe's dreadful start but I don't thinks its comparable!

TH14 was stuck out wide initially and God had a ton of chances and some wonderful saves were made against him - the volley he had in the first half against Southampton was point blank and the keeper fucking saved it.

Pires i remember did take a little time, but his style was so very different to Overmars that i think the Highbury crowd gave him the benefit of the doubt.

My gripe with him the other night is that he wasn't trying at all :evil: He never chased back to give his full back assistance, and chambers booking was 100% down to pepe losing possession cheaply and allowing their full back all the time to thread a ball in behind chambers.
He is the most one trick pony that I have seen in a looooooong time - if a full back stops him cutting inside, he literally has nothing else to bring to the table :oops: :oops: Early last week I suggested playing him centrally and pushing auba out wide cos it would at least allow pepe more space and the option of going past the defenders either side and still have room and time to get on his left foot.
As I said Monday night, him not scoring yet (from play) isn't a big deal for me at the mo, but I do like to see a work ethic and body language that suggests the man is up for the battle instead of a guy that looks disinterested

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

clockender1 wrote:
Clash wrote:

I'm hoping Pepe will come good but the big difference with Pires was you could see he was world class immediately and just needed to get used to the pace and physicality of the PL. Pepe looks like a rank ammatuer out there..... even the basics are eluding him.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Emery today talking about Tierney....

“He didn’t play in Manchester because he had some more problems. Not important, but the doctor told us it’s better to be here working alone and preparing for the match tomorrow.

“If we are taking precaution with him it’s also important that, with the national team, we are thinking it’s not the moment to go with them.

“For the next matches, I think he’s going to be ready to play with us and to play with them.

“Now he’s going to play tomorrow and also hopefully he can be complete physically, complete tactically, with the performance we need.”

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

augie wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:02 pm
clockender1 wrote:
Clash wrote:

My gripe with him the other night is that he wasn't trying at all :evil: He never chased back to give his full back assistance, and chambers booking was 100% down to pepe losing possession cheaply and allowing their full back all the time to thread a ball in behind chambers.
He is the most one trick pony that I have seen in a looooooong time - if a full back stops him cutting inside, he literally has nothing else to bring to the table :oops: :oops: Early last week I suggested playing him centrally and pushing auba out wide cos it would at least allow pepe more space and the option of going past the defenders either side and still have room and time to get on his left foot.
As I said Monday night, him not scoring yet (from play) isn't a big deal for me at the mo, but I do like to see a work ethic and body language that suggests the man is up for the battle instead of a guy that looks disinterested
Pepe honestly doesn't look like he wants to be here. Looks like another mopey one.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I still think Dick should be given until May to show if he can deliver - particularly if we can get Tierney Bellend and Holding in and playing well. That change in defence could be huge for us. But then his persisting with Captain Cuntastic Xhakatard will probably negate any benefits from getting the defence sorted. :|

Still I've never been a fan of panic changing managers mid season. It smacks of what the little clubs do - your stokes, your Boltons, your tottnumbs, your chelseas etc. :censored:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:20 am
I still think Dick should be given until May to show if he can deliver - particularly if we can get Tierney Bellend and Holding in and playing well. That change in defence could be huge for us. But then his persisting with Captain Cuntastic Xhakatard will probably negate any benefits from getting the defence sorted. :|

Still I've never been a fan of panic changing managers mid season. It smacks of what the little clubs do - your stokes, your Boltons, your tottnumbs, your chelseas etc. :censored:

This is not a "be careful what you wish for" comment cos I really hate that shite - I would however like to have a realistic option in place that would be an upgrade on emery before we sack him. Those calling for allegri are living in a fantasy world cos there is zero chance we will get him when he knows the extent of our financial restrictions. Getting arteta MIGHT be possible, but would he be a good appointment ? Fcuk no. Is there another realistic manager in England that would be a good appointment ? I cant think of any, so that is another avenue closed. There are some promising up and coming managers in Europe (nagelsmann for example), but I'm not sure if they would come and I'm not sure our next manager should be a young manager either.

My wife complains that I am shocking when it comes to moving on from things that have pissed me off, and that is very much the case here - the debacle in scouseland has soured me badly towards emery, and the continued selection of xhaka is only compounding my anger and frustration. I thought I would move in from it after a couple of weeks but that hasn't been the case, and I would like a change in manager too - if it doesn't happen until the end of the season then so be it (I will be disappointed though), but if there is a better option that can be got now, then sign me up for that plan

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

Let's see what Manuel delivers in the next couple of months cos if nothing else it does give me a giggle watching him run up and and down the line doing his tic tac, I don't know whether he's giving instructions to our defenders or to stick a tenner on the 2:30 at kempton :lol:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Arsenal Till I Die wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:15 pm
augie wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:02 pm
clockender1 wrote:
Clash wrote:

Pepe honestly doesn't look like he wants to be here. Looks like another mopey one.
[
/quote]

Ohhhh! Feck Nooo! Not another one with Ozilitis!?

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Hardly a panic change DB, he has shown nothing, absolutely diddly squat in 14months and sticking with him until May will only succeed in ensuring we miss out on clge football next season.
I’ve no idea who we should appoint, but I’d even go with an internal temporary solution, whilst a full time alternative can be sourced.
Talk of bellerin and chambers turning things around is nonsense, before his injury most posters on here wanted him offloaded! Although I dont include myself in that.
The problem is Emery, tactics, style of play, team selection, indecision!
He is as I said 10 months ago “out of his depth”

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:04 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

Hardly a panic change DB, he has shown nothing, absolutely diddly squat in 14months and sticking with him until May will only succeed in ensuring we miss out on clge football next season.
I’ve no idea who we should appoint, but I’d even go with an internal temporary solution, whilst a full time alternative can be sourced.
Talk of bellerin and chambers turning things around is nonsense, before his injury most posters on here wanted him offloaded! Although I dont include myself in that.

Surely sid the next appointment has to do better than emery and secure top 4 ? If an appropriate full time appointment cant be made straight away, then the lack of stability whilst going with a temporary appointment will totally hamstring our hopes of top 4. Emery isn't making the progress many of us want and expect, but the reality is that he isn't failing spectacularly and if we cant upgrade NOW, thenn maybe we should stick with him until the end of the season UNLESS things get much worse

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:42 am
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Surely sid the next appointment has to do better than emery and secure top 4 ? If an appropriate full time appointment cant be made straight away, then the lack of stability whilst going with a temporary appointment will totally hamstring our hopes of top 4. Emery isn't making the progress many of us want and expect, but the reality is that he isn't failing spectacularly and if we cant upgrade NOW, thenn maybe we should stick with him until the end of the season UNLESS things get much worse
Augie, I don’t think he will get us top 4, for me that’s pretty damning given the state of those around us!
And it horrifies me to say this, but I have no doubt Wenker would do a better job, with the squad Emery has at it’s disposal!
I agree an internal temporary appointment wouldnt be ideal, but if as I suspect , the players doubt his methods, then perhaps Ljungberg or Edu working together could do enough to galvanise the squad and secure clge football next season?
Which ultimately will be crucial in attracting a top replacement next season

Clash

Post by Clash »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:12 pm
augie wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

Augie, I don’t think he will get us top 4, for me that’s pretty damning given the state of those around us!
And it horrifies me to say this, but I have no doubt Wenker would do a better job, with the squad Emery has at it’s disposal!
I agree an internal temporary appointment wouldnt be ideal, but if as I suspect , the players doubt his methods, then perhaps Ljungberg or Edu working together could do enough to galvanise the squad and secure clge football next season?
You might be proved right Sid ... but at the moment, we are one of 5-6 teams with a very good chance to get one of those 3rd and 4th places. And that's why Emery will not be going anywhere for the time being.

Managers get sacked quicker than ever these days. But in almost all cases it's because they're stuck down near the bottom and the fear of relegation causes owners to act ... or because a CL place is looking beyond them.

We are currently in 4th place so the club will not get rid of Emery just because some people don't think he will keep us there. The only way Emery is going before next summer is if things get drastically worse ... but the quality of the other teams is so bad that this almost certainly isn't going to happen.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

goonersid wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:12 pm
augie wrote:
goonersid wrote:
DB10GOONER wrote:

come on this is getting ridiculous now.
Emery was one win away from 3rd place last season and took us to a first European final in 13 years.

we all knew that there was gong to be quite a bit of upheaval because the squad needed to be revamped.
this summer saw a lot of changes and combined with injuries to defenders who will be expecting to be first team players it hasn't been the best of starts to the season.
despite all that we have only lost one game all season, away at the European champions. So sorry if I don't share your assessment on Emery.
he probably isn't up to winning the league, but was he ever appointed to do that ? If you want a really ambitious manager at this club you will need to wait until Stan Kroenke dies and his son loses interest. Until then Emery is probably about the best we can get.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Also, I cant believe I am seeing or hearing some arsenal fans saying they would prefer Wenger back or even that Wenger would do better with this squad. Whats the point in saying this?

If Wenger had stayed I doubt we'd even have this squad either, as flawed and unbalanced as it still is. We'd be plodding along with another couple of deadwood signings and persisting with the overpaid dross that he specialised in.

If Emery isnt good enough, which is looking increasingly the case, then blame Wenger for that too! Because if he'd left us earlier ... or in a better position ... then we would have been able to get a better manager than Emery.