Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Block93

Re: Unai Emery

Post by Block93 »

goonersid wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:23 pm
Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:06 pm
Mourinho to Arsenal is trending on twitter 8)
Please nooooooooooo
You might not like Mourinho, but with him at least you get someone who actually knows what they're doing. Chelsea first time around played some great football, and not at the cost of being totally defensive - they were good going forward but also didn't concede many goals, a bit like Liverpool are now. At the moment the football is not that great anyway - it's usually good enough to get us a goal up, but no way will we not concede a ton of chances for the rest of the game.

If you are solid at the back, inevitably you will be more aggressive going forward, as logically, that's where the ball will be for more of the time.

I never wanted Emery, as per my post on Page 1 of this thread - I wanted Conte as the best available option.

I almost feel sorry for Emery watching his press conferences, as he is so completely out of his depth.

And opening myself up for more comment, I think Xhaka is a genuinely good player, but only as an attacking, and not defensive, midfielder.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

General wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:58 pm
Herd wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:51 pm
Just think of the festive atmosphere at the Corporates on Saturday ,it will be a wonderful family affair .
Theres plenty of people out there struggling to make ends meet and feed their families but this super rich talentless wanker throws a strop
and he's offered counselling ,you couldn't make this shit up .
I bet you Xhaka is rested or has picked up an injury and won't not even be present in the stadium this Saturday,if he does that's the end of him at Arsenal, however if he even has the balls to play or better still hold up a banner saying sorry ,he will win my respect for at least being a man about it !
The Club have made a huge issue of this on the website ,for me it's another rod for the back of the manager whose reign I think will soon be over .
The abuse has been going on for months now. His wife has recently given birth (days) and you have idiots sending him death threats and saying they hope his child dies etc. One of the worst fanbases in football can give out but cannot take. He has nothing to say sorry for.

What abuse are you referring to? At the bowl Xhaka doesn't get much in the way of abuse......until he made a tit of himself on Sunday.

There are and always have been the kind of idiots that send stupid messages / death threats in society and that's clearly wrong but that doesn't give him a pass for what he did. He has had several days to simply say sorry which wouldn't cut any slack with me but would be the socially acceptable way to give him a bit of breathing space but he has not taken that route and has simply changed his twatter pic to a Swiss national pic instead.

Do you think that other high profile people in all industries are immune to idiots having a pop or is it just poor old Xhaka who is the only recipient of such misplaced attention. Of course not but most of them get on with it and ignore the dross.

One of the worst fanbases in football - based on what exactly. I have read nothing but shit in the papers this week about the toxicity at the bowl and the fickle fan base from wan.ky reporters who don't pay a penny to watch the same crap that costs me well over a couple of grand for two tickets every year. Of course those pr.icks are being paid to go and write about an event that without us fickle fans ceases to exist which is often a conveniently forgotten fact. If AFC is a business then I am a customer and as a customer I and many more at the bowl are entitled to a service or a standard of quality which has been largely missing for the last 10 years...a bigger seat than I used to have at Highbury doesn't quite cut it for me.

So have a long hard think about jumping onto the media bandwagon of slagging the fanbase as an entirety rather than the usual small minority and do not confuse fickle with those fans who have been going for years and can recognise a shit.fest when we see one and are expected to continue paying for it.

Finally, you say he has nothing to say sorry for - that beggars belief, what planet do you live on?

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:33 pm
General wrote:
Herd wrote:
Just think of the festive atmosphere at the Corporates on Saturday ,it will be a wonderful family affair .
Theres plenty of people out there struggling to make ends meet and feed their families but this super rich talentless wanker throws a strop
I bet you Xhaka is rested or has picked up an injury and won't not even be present in the stadium this Saturday,if he does that's the end of him at Arsenal, however if he even has the balls to play or better still hold up a banner saying sorry ,he will win my respect for at least being a man about it !
The Club have made a huge issue of this on the website ,for me it's another rod for the back of the manager whose reign I think will soon be over .
The abuse has been going on for months now. His wife has recently given birth (days) and you have idiots sending him death threats and saying they hope his child dies etc. One of the worst fanbases in football can give out but cannot take. He has nothing to say sorry for.

What abuse are you referring to? At the bowl Xhaka doesn't get much in the way of abuse......until he made a tit of himself on Sunday.

There are and always have been the kind of idiots that send stupid messages / death threats in society and that's clearly wrong but that doesn't give him a pass for what he did. He has had several days to simply say sorry which wouldn't cut any slack with me but would be the socially acceptable way to give him a bit of breathing space but he has not taken that route and has simply changed his twatter pic to a Swiss national pic instead.

Do you think that other high profile people in all industries are immune to idiots having a pop or is it just poor old Xhaka who is the only recipient of such misplaced attention. Of course not but most of them get on with it and ignore the dross.

One of the worst fanbases in football - based on what exactly. I have read nothing but shit in the papers this week about the toxicity at the bowl and the fickle fan base from wan.ky reporters who don't pay a penny to watch the same crap that costs me well over a couple of grand for two tickets every year. Of course those pr.icks are being paid to go and write about an event that without us fickle fans ceases to exist which is often a conveniently forgotten fact. If AFC is a business then I am a customer and as a customer I and many more at the bowl are entitled to a service or a standard of quality which has been largely missing for the last 10 years...a bigger seat than I used to have at Highbury doesn't quite cut it for me.

So have a long hard think about jumping onto the media bandwagon of slagging the fanbase as an entirety rather than the usual small minority and do not confuse fickle with those fans who have been going for years and can recognise a shit.fest when we see one and are expected to continue paying for it.

Finally, you say he has nothing to say sorry for - that beggars belief, what planet do you live on?
Quality post my Jock brethren :wink: 8)

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Jock Gooner wrote:
General wrote:
Herd wrote:

Well said

Clash

Post by Clash »

Jock Gooner wrote:
General wrote:
Herd wrote:

Fantastic post Jock 8)

Not sure it was needed for anyone to bring the online abuse thing into the discussion but I agree with your response. We all know its wrong ... but as you rightly pointed out, its more of a society thing and certainly not something that can be used to justify the claim that we have one of the worst fanbases in football.

You also mention the fans as customers thing and this has been irritating me for years. So many clubs, the FA and the media etc. are very selective with this. They do some questionable things at times that they justify by saying football is now a product, a business or a brand ... but then when the fans start acting like customers of a business or brand would, e.g. demanding more in return for what they're paying, then they don't like it. That's when all the ''reals fans don't boo their own players' crap comes out! :roll:

Clubs want passion and loyalty from fans. They exploit that now more than ever ... but the other side of the coin is if you take fans for granted or wind fans up then they will turn on you! And rightly so!

Wenger became the biggest wind-up merchant in the game. Patronising, deceitful, dismissive. Fans of other clubs and the media do not see how manipulative and cunning he was because it did not have the impact on them that it did on us.

The infamous Eboue incident wasnt fickle fans being nasty and cowardly to an individual ... it was a build up of months of watching an idiot diving and running round like a headless chicken ... only to see the manager refuse to address any of this. It went on so long that peoples pent up frustrations all came out in that one game. And it wasnt the fans who substituted him either!

The same happened with Xhaka. He is 2nd/3rd rate dross .... but somehow he is captain of a team where the fans are paying A+ prices! He should NOT be at the club but we are made to watch him week in week out, making the same mistakes over and over ... and once again the manager does not address it.

I didnt boo Xhaka or Eboue (or even Kevin Campbell all those years back) but I understand the frustrations of those who did.

And I like the fact that our fanbase is becoming more demanding. We need a certain standard and to let it be known we will not tolerate anything below that. Its probably several years later than it should have been but better late than never!

General

Post by General »

Jock Gooner wrote:
General wrote:
Herd wrote:

I have no idea where you get your news but Xhaka has been targeted for months, both on and off the pitch, and it reached a crescendo on Sunday. What exactly was his crime? Playing badly or giving back some of the abuse? Some of these high-profile celebrities give it back in equal measure and Xhaka is no exception.

Let's not confuse the mediocrity on display which fans have a right to voice their displeasure about with incessant personal abuse borne out of frustration and perceived lack of effort. An ex Arsenal player whose name I won’t disclose stepped forward with the obligatory demand that he should apologise. Of course no such apology was forthcoming from this very same ex-player after he let of a volley of abuse from the changing rooms at Highbury following a dreadful team display.

By 2008 I'd seen enough and gave up going to the bowl regularly. I've been back occasionally over the years and it's terrifying to see what our fanbase has morphed into. No offence to the old school fans who can still muster the courage to go but I make no apologies when I say this match going fanbase is collectively one of the worst in football and the vast majority almost certainly started going after we moved. When we did the first Wenger out march 2 years ago, you had so called fans sitting on the parapets outside the bridge filming us as if we were freaks. It was a sight to behold.

Xhaka has nothing to apologise for as far as I’m concerned. Time lapse since incident suggests a lack contrition on his part and any apology would be purely symbolic to please the snowflakes and easily offended. Ultimately, he’s not good enough for this club and this is what needs to be addressed.

Clash

Post by Clash »

General wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:44 pm

I have no idea where you get your news but Xhaka has been targeted for months, both on and off the pitch, and it reached a crescendo on Sunday. What exactly was his crime? Playing badly or giving back some of the abuse? Some of these high-profile celebrities give it back in equal measure and Xhaka is no exception.

Let's not confuse the mediocrity on display which fans have a right to voice their displeasure about with incessant personal abuse borne out of frustration and perceived lack of effort. An ex Arsenal player whose name I won’t disclose stepped forward with the obligatory demand that he should apologise. Of course no such apology was forthcoming from this very same ex-player after he let of a volley of abuse from the changing rooms at Highbury following a dreadful team display.

By 2008 I'd seen enough and gave up going to the bowl regularly. I've been back occasionally over the years and it's terrifying to see what our fanbase has morphed into. No offence to the old school fans but I make no apologies when I say it's collectively one of the worst in football and the vast majority almost certainly started going after we moved. When we did the first Wenger out march 2 years ago, you had so called fans sitting on the parapets outside the bridge filming us as if we were freaks. It was a sight to behold.

Xhaka has nothing to apologise for as far as I’m concerned. Time lapse since incident suggests a lack contrition on his part and any apology would be purely symbolic to please the snowflakes and easily offended. Ultimately, he’s not good enough for this club and this is what needs to be addressed.
I love the guy you're referring to but that's actually a fair point General!

And I don't think you'll get too much argument from many on here about the type of fans that were attracted to the club after the stadium move. For me, anyone who only started supported Arsenal at that time that was a grown adult who wasnt previously interested in Arsenal, is in most cases, a breed of fan I have now time for. Obviously younger fans are exempt from that.

Respect your opinion on the Xhaka thing too and an apology is pretty meaningless if it isn't sincere .. but I do not think you can do what he did and remain captain.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

General wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:44 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
General wrote:
Herd wrote:

Let's not confuse the mediocrity on display which fans have a right to voice their displeasure about with incessant personal abuse borne out of frustration and perceived lack of effort. An ex Arsenal player whose name I won’t disclose stepped forward with the obligatory demand that he should apologise. Of course no apology forthcoming from this very same ex-player after he let of a volley of abuse from the changing rooms at Highbury following a dreadful team display.

By 2008 I'd seen enough and gave up going to the bowl regularly. I've been back occasionally over the years and it's terrifying to see what our fanbase has morphed into. No offence to the old school fans but I make no apologies when I say it's collectively one of the worst in football and the vast majority almost certainly started going after we moved. When we did the first Wenger out march 2 years ago, you had so called fans sitting on the parapets outside the bridge filming us as if we were freaks. It was a sight to behold.

I think I would firstly question your sources on Xhaka. I speak with first hand experience of Xhaka's treatment at every home match since his arrival and some away fixtures too so I guess I can say that I speak with a fair degree of authority on the way he is received by fans at matches. Again, I had not heard any significant outpouring of frustration with Xhaka until Sunday. There have been many moments of exasparation with him but nothing worthy of the term "abuse" which you use.

He is clearly targeted on here as substandard but that is not reflected at the bowl or he would have been booed long before Sunday. Don't forget he was only given a bit by fans when he chose to just wander off the park on Sunday when we were having to chase a winner after his contribution to their second goal which was taking the piss. That turned to boos when he decided to spit the dummy. If he had trotted off the pitch then the whole incident probably wouldn't have happened so he brought it on himself and again the boos only started after he threw his strop. HIs lack of discipline, the needless yellow cards, the stupid challenges, the failures to track back, the repeated wayward passses - all his failings that we have witnessed and are well documented on here finally manifested themselves in that moment and he got a bit of what he deserved. As fans we have no other way of communicating our feelings so the basic boo is all we can offer up.

I don't accept that the vast majority of our fans started going after the move. You only have to look around the place and see the number of 40 - 50 somethings (and older) in the place to appreciate that there is still a majority of old school still there. I fully agree that some of the modern fan set are a huge embarrassment but then that is also a reflection of a snowflakey generation and is no doubt repeated across the country at other clubs too. Unfortunately as the Arsenal and being based in London we seem to be easy fodder for the media to highlight these clowns. Your experience of the march being filmed can't come as a huge shock to you as most kids (and a worrying amount of adults for that matter) feel the need to live their lives behind a phone camera - that's part of modern society which along with social media leads to the publicity / hysteria that surround current events.

Xhaka is not good enough for the Arsenal and should never have been at our club let alone our captain and that is a damning indictment on wenker, Emery and our current squad who voted for him. There are days when I can understand why people have chucked it in but a defence of Xhaka as some sort of a victim borders on the snowflakey in itself in my opinion. I couldn't care less if he apologises or not, that carries no weight with me but if he wanted a chance to carry on at the club in a stalemate truce like situation until he is shown the door then a quick apology would have worked in his favour. Now if Dick tries to bring him back he will raise further questions on the stability of his tenure and only serve to hasten his own exit no doubt accompanied by Xhaka too.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

General wrote:
He has nothing to say sorry for.
[/quote]

What?

Strolling off the pitch instead of running off so we could try and win the game

So throwing the captains arm band away is okay?

Throwing the shirt of the floor in the tunnel is okay then?

And telling the fans to fuckk off is all hunky dory then?

Being an Utter shyte player whilst earning £100k a week and then throwing his toys out of the pram for being hooked by the manager who has picked him regardless of how absolute shitt he's been

Costing us the win against the filth and not taking responsibilty for it?

:duh:

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

Can we please get the Emery out campaign going

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:40 pm
Can we please get the Emery out campaign going

He appears to be having a good go at it himself.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Made two unnecessary substitutions tonight, took off two players that will not start on Saturday so why take them off.? It's not as if others were outstanding and irreplaceable. No idea of game management from Emery either..Awful game that Sky might sell as a thriller but such a lack of quality. How can five Championship or lower defenders come into the Premiership for Sheffield United and play like Italian defenders with tons of experience.? Yet we cannot defend a two goal lead...I despair.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

Sigh....... so yet again to get a manager out we need to start a 'campaign' ?, how about the w&nkers who run the club actually show some ambition and make the decision for themselves?. :roll:

Assuming we lose at Leicester (probably heavily), if the c*nts still don't sack him then the only campaign should be for their heads on a stick, we need to get more 'ultra'. :twisted: :censored:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

How can Emery turn it around after that match? Klopp was toying with him in that second half. The fact we scored 5 at anfield showed just how serious they took it. They didn't even play their reserve keeper, they played their 4th choice keeper. This defeat has done it for me with emery. Even under Rioch the team wasn't this poor.

Natural Born Gooner

Post by Natural Born Gooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:06 pm
Mourinho to Arsenal is trending on twitter 8)
Maybe not Mourinho, but we should be looking at any manager with a similar style to him. A right nasty bastard who'll create a siege mentality again at the club and won't tolerate anything less that 100%. And if that means dour 1-0 win's most weeks, i'll take that every day and twice on a Sunday!

God, I'd kill for Simeone!