Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Gunner Rob

Re: Unai Emery

Post by Gunner Rob »

we are currently in joint 3rd place and bedding in new players.

maybe a bit of an over reaction on here ?

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:16 am
As I said already, right now I am barely on the fence as to whether emery should go or not, but what I will say is this ………. I cannot face another period of sustained bickering amongst Arsenal fans over whether a manager should be sacked or not. Last time it happened it drained every bit of energy and passion I had for the club (something I still haven't fully recovered), so if it came to a choice between sacking him or going through it again, then I would sack him.

Two quick pointers I will disagree with though -

1. Jock blamed him for buying pepe over a centre back - transfers are done above him now and of that there is no doubt

2. sid says that he doesn't care if we change managers 6 times in 3 years, and I would suggest that continually changing managers is giving us no chance of getting back to where we need to be - any future new manager has to be given time

I think we all know that transfers are conducted at a higher level than Dick but I would be very surprised if he didn't have some input into who Raul looks at and I would quite happily put money on the fact that Dick would choose a Pepe over a CB every day of the week. That old "win 4 - 3" comment should have been a huge red flag :shock:

While I haven't wanted to take a sid like position and felt it was important to give the manager more time there has always been that nagging doubt that sid might just have called it right early doors and the rest of us more patient and balanced :lol: individuals were just going to have to admit that Dick wasn't the right man for the job in time. You've picked one point out of many I made so hardly a defence of where we currently find ourselves courtesy of Dick.

I am beginning to suspect that the job is simply too much for him and he really hasn't got a grasp on what the PL is all about. Mitigating that is the fact that he inherited the shitfest that he did and with no real money available but we needed a quick injection of quality in the defence and Dick was no doubt playing the nodding dog when Raul floated Pepe as an option. To be fair to the guy it was always going to be a hell of a job to try and get us back on track after TOF disaster years and tbh watching the team under his control doesn't fill me with any hope.

There will be serious interest from European clubs when Allegri returns to football so if he is the sort of manager we want then our clueless board need to be making that decision now not at the last minute. Sid is quite right when he says we owe Dick absolutely nothing, in fact the club owe us a much higher degree of hope going forward and if an Allegri quality manager can't get us sorted then better to give it a go than not. Unfortunately, I am coming to the conclusion that Dick is actually just wenger-lite in his approach to football and just as clueless when it comes to defence.

GTG

Post by GTG »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:16 am
i remain right behind Emery.

Firstly just a reminder that we have Stan Kroenke in charge, so nothing is going to change very quickly , and even if it does then we won't get anyone any better than Emery.

Secondly we all know that the defence is a makeshift one at the moment - Holding, Bellerin and Tierney will gradually come in. Yes if we still concede goals like yesterday then there is a problem, but I am prepared to wait and see when they all come in.

Thirdly we all knew it was going to take time to recover from the Wenger era. This is another work in progress season.
Lets see if Pepe improves as he adapts to the PL.
I'm not sure we will see this massive difference we expect when the 3 you mention are back in the side. Tierney I hope will be very good but hes coming from the SPL so don't expect too much too soon. Bellerin has been part of our defence for many years and we've had major problems with him in the side. I will grant you though its better than having AMN there. Holding was getting to the kind of form which was making him our best option at centre back but its impossible to know how much this injury has set him back and it may take him a long time.

The biggest thing missing is organisation of the WHOLE team. Each individual knowing there job and some structure to the side when we don't have the ball. A good manager can achieve that even if his players are not that great.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

https://twitter.com/tacticsboardtw/stat ... 92769?s=21

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you...Emery Ball :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Gonna have tongue in cheek "told you so" moment here. :D :wink:

I had a row on here when we signed Dick and I brought up his glowing public praise of Wenger and Wengerball. I was told "no its just PR stuff" and that "Dick is very different".

I felt at the time and still do that Dick was and is a true believer in coming up with a system and (similar to Wenger) sticking with said system long long after it is obvious he doesn't have the players to play that system.

I'd hoped I was wrong but tbh given his 4-3 comment and his persisting with goal kick Russian roulette and Xhakatard I get the horrible feeling I might have nailed it on the head.... :|

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:37 pm
we are currently in joint 3rd place and bedding in new players.

maybe a bit of an over reaction on here ?
Exactly. It would be an utterly daft decision to sack him now. His contract ends in June so he has until the end of the season to earn a new contract or walk at the end of his current one. Plenty of time to make a decision.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

I think only a couple of people have said he should be sacked now. Most have said he should get until the end of the season to try turn it round.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:04 pm
I think only a couple of people have said he should be sacked now. Most have said he should get until the end of the season to try turn it round.

I don't think he should be sacked now, but nor do I feel that he is entitled to the end of the season anymore either - I was very much in the "it takes time to fix the wenger clusterfuck" camp, but dicks decisions this season are alarming to say the least, and his performance/choices away to the victims was nothing short of disgraceful. Every single game is an audition for him now imo, and if he doesn't start to get things back on track fast, then it might be better to split soon.

I don't think allegri is a realistic target anymore, and for some reason I'm not sure that he would be the right choice either - someone pointed out here recently that allegri piggy backed on conte's successful team and it resonated with me to the point that I am unsure that he is the right person to build a team now

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
For me the only way Emery turns this around and stays past this season is if he manages an 80+ point top four finish.

sk-gtfo

Post by sk-gtfo »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:05 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
For me the only way Emery turns this around and stays past this season is if he manages an 80+ point top four finish.
Never getting more than about 72/3 points with our defence and midfield.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The alarm bells started ringing for me after the Palace home game at the back end of last season and they've only gotten louder since.

He picked the stiffs and fucked top 4 from an almost un-fuck-upable position as our season went completely off the cliff edge after that game.

Then, given a final chance for redemption and rescue the season from the depths of the shitter he fucked the Europa League final too in spectacularly embarrassing fashion.

Since the dark days of the calamitous banter era we’ve upgraded our keeper, defence and added defensive midfielders to the mix yet he actually does defense worse that Wenger :shock:

That is something I thought I would never see again.

He’s had one full season and two pre-seasons with the players and I have zero idea what he’s trying to achieve or what style of play he wants from the team.

He spoke about wanting the team to press, we have seen fuck all signs of that. You are far more likely to see an Arsenal player strolling after the ball than pressing to win it back.

The only thing we have seen on a consistent basis is the self harm football out from the back. Lest we forget that this time last year helmet head was avoiding comical own goals by inches kicking the ball behind his own end line for an opposition corner every other week. This time around we have Leno and the two center backs lining up on the 6 yard box trying figure out which one of them is going to make the fuck up.

Let’s be honest here, even the 2 games we won this season we were shite in for the most part. Liverpool and Watford away ware completely abysmal and the one game we did actually play some great football with serious intensity was against the scum and even then it took us going 2 down to get going.

We’re going nowhere but backwards under this manager and yesterday was the final straw for me. I barely slept last night as I was fucking seething after the sheer inevitability of it. Every goal kick where we just about survived fucking up drove me deeper and deeper into despair until I finally snapped when we inevitably conceded.

He can go get fucked as far as I’m concerned now and I hope the fans give him pelters Sunday against Villa if the same shit kick out routine is on show.

Get rid of him ASAP :banghead:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

At least the new shirts are nice :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal under Emery:

Most errors leading to goals in the Prem, only 6 teams have kept fewer clean sheets.

Conceded the most shots on goal in Europe this season.

First team to concede 4 goals in a Europa/UEFA cup final since Middlesbrough in 2006.

Shambles.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Emery is not the Coach to move us forward, unfortunately i'm not really sure who is available who could do better. I said last season defensively we were a total shambles and only our ability to score goals kept us as high up as we were, this season we are making identical mistakes with a mix of players, some the same old culprits some new ones, we used to blame Wenger and Bould for the defensive, or lack of defensive, coaching, who gets the blame this season?

I just cannot see him turning things around or changing his way of doing things, every team in the league by now knows we are a defensive liability and cannot play out from the back which means every team will target us this way and we will concede time and again. We are probably more vulnerable now than we were under Wenger and the players know this which makes them lose confidence, the longer this goes on the worse it will get.

He has to go sooner rather than later but unfortunately i cant see us being wise enough to find a decent replacement, KSE and Son seem to want flare and drama and entertainment but that is not what we need right now.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:05 pm
At least the new shirts are nice :lol:
:coffeespit:

Superb timing Jock. :lol: 8)