Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: Unai Emery

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

He’ll be fluent in no time if that’s his level now.

Fantastic having this feeling for the Arsenal back :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

nut flush gooner wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:21 pm
Who said Emery can’t speak English, his command of the English language is better than some of the swamp dwellers in N17. He will be fluent in a few months.

Just watching the press conference now, have to say not been this excited about Arsenal for years.

Absolutely - I am absolutely buzzing right now, and am wondering how I am gonna get tickets to bring my kids over next season. I am also going to lift my self imposed embargo on all club merchandise (except the new kit obviously :lol: ), and am looking at what I can buy in few mins - I might actually get a jersey and get emery's name on it :barscarf: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

I am so looking forward to going to games again! :barscarf:

We (Gooners from on here) all ought to have a 'meet up' - what a pisss up THAT would be! :D :drunk: :cheers:

wilko49er

Post by wilko49er »

Bless him he is trying, English a lot better than i thought. Saying the right things for me :barscarf:

silus

Re: Welcome Unai Emery (Dick)

Post by silus »

1989 wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:53 pm
brucers wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 11:38 am
'Unai to the Arsenal' as a song might go.

Good appointment given our limited funds offering. Hear he improves players.....plenty of scope there. Could have the effect of minimising need for new players. Many of our current squad under performed with Wenger and seemed good players at their previous clubs.

I like that he is the same age as Potty at Spurs but with more trophies to his name!

He will improve us if his record continues...a definite step forward.

Hardly a feat is it..."Potty's" career trophy haul is exactly the total sum of fuck all.
I'm the same age as "potty"..and I've won the same amount as him!! :lol:

Can't wait to see Unai and his assistant going mental on the sidelines....can we hurry up and start the season already. :barscarf:

MrT

Post by MrT »

Emery on his desired style for #afc: "I want possession and very intensive pressing."

Ozil won't be happy.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

I like the fact that he had the balls to give it a go in English, he will be fluent in no time at all. Saying all the right things and coming across as a sincere bloke. ST renewed without any feeling of regret and like many others on here feeling really positive about next season now. It's like a cloud has been lifted, finally :barscarf: :barscarf:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:45 pm
I'm really looking forward to the new season, and a new manager finally, and hopefully with less of the boring poisonous tedious shite that some of our lesser posters have ruined this forum with.... but I have this nagging feeling that as soon as we lose 2 or 3 games on the bounce the usual suspects will be on here dribbling revisionist shite out of them and they'll be joined by a whole crowd of "I told you so" AKB mongs..... fuck me did we always have so many arseholes in our fanbase? :lol:
I don't think so...now that it's not Arteta I think our fans are genuinely excited. The Arsene, and not Arsenal supporters, I suspect, will be hoping he slips up so all the "be careful what you wish for" crap, can be dusted off.

But fortunately for him, to surpass Wenger's last 2 seasons, this last one especially, is not going to be that difficult is it? Just tighten up the defence alone and we'll be back in CL.

bobbybigb

Post by bobbybigb »

Cannot remember the last time i felt so excited and optimistic about the future. Suddenly it feels like MY Arsenal again. He will get us fighting and competing again and become the Arsenal that our rivals used to hate playing.

Post by 1989 »

Speaks better English than Harry Kane.

Midz

Post by Midz »

looking forward to seeing what develops once he has his feet firmly under the table. Good luck Unai :barscarf:

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

xisstential wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 1:58 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 12:45 pm
I'm really looking forward to the new season, and a new manager finally, and hopefully with less of the boring poisonous tedious shite that some of our lesser posters have ruined this forum with.... but I have this nagging feeling that as soon as we lose 2 or 3 games on the bounce the usual suspects will be on here dribbling revisionist shite out of them and they'll be joined by a whole crowd of "I told you so" AKB mongs..... fuck me did we always have so many arseholes in our fanbase? :lol:
I don't think so...now that it's not Arteta I think our fans are genuinely excited. The Arsene, and not Arsenal supporters, I suspect, will be hoping he slips up so all the "be careful what you wish for" crap, can be dusted off.

But fortunately for him, to surpass Wenger's last 2 seasons, this last one especially, is not going to be that difficult is it? Just tighten up the defence alone and we'll be back in CL.
I think that 99% of AKBs don’t have an agenda and want Arsenal to just be competitive. The fan base have to pull together now, I don’t expect top 4 next season. I would rather it was a nice surprise.

If you look at the teams above us only Chelski are really vulnerable, but you know they will throw a shedload of money at the problem. Then it’s the spuds, they have to keep their best players happy but as things stand and I hate to say this, their first eleven is better than ours.

City and Pool are the two teams that will fight out for the title next season imo, and Maureen will bore us all shitless again but get the results required for another top 4 place.

For us, we need defensive stability first and foremost before we start to have any ambitions. Our best route for CL qualification may well be winning the Europa League next season, and we have a manager that is quite good at that!

markyp

Post by markyp »

loving the way he wants to 'press' when we don't have the ball,weve seen all too little of this in the last few years but when we have seen it weve been awesome,add this to some premier league level defending instead of cub scout shit we've been used too and next season could look rosy :barscarf:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I completely respect anyone who can speak more than one language. I absolutely admire Emery for coming out and speaking English in his first press conference. It wasn't the best, by any means, but he had a good grasp and he had the guts try.

I think it also shows the class of the guy, to be honest. Most managers would come out with an interpreter and yammer away in their mother tongue but here we have a guy who, as he admitted himself, doesn't speak English fluently yet but he wants to do tha he can communicate with the press, the players and the fans. I absolutely respect that and I respect his effort.

I believe that he done the same thing in France too.

For someone who hasn't spoken English publically before (as far as I'm aware) I thought he done really well and I think he will be fluent (conversationally) by the start of the season.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

yeah, as the two of you said - he prefers the gegenpressen :
"I like this personality and when we don’t have the ball I want a squad to play with intensive pressure. Two important things are position of the ball and pressing when you haven’t got it."
Ivan :
Sixth place is not good enough and we need to improve that. Clearly the ambition is to get back to what Unai just said, and that is being a candidate to win the biggest trophies in England and Europe.
"We are working in a different way, it is going to be more of a team effort supporting Unai's visions."
ouch. :lol: