Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

Re: Unai Emery

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:43 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 10:56 am
Pleased for Emery, redemption for what he wasn't able to achieve for us. It just shows what he can do with a group of players who don't have huge egos, wages and act like prima dona's. This is why he was the wrong coach for Arsenal. He could not deal with the egos of the players. Villarreal, and Seville were a group of journeyman players not good enough for the biggest clubs.
That is his level of club, level of players and he was bringing us down to that level. Players knew it, most fans (apart from SteveO) know it. It's not an indictment on his capabilities it is just his level. That's why some big club managers fail at lesser clubs (Mourinho at Spurs, Adams at Wycombe).
Well done the yellow submarines, wonder what song will be sang at OT the most by the away fans next season..."You got beat by the Yellow Submarines..."

I'm intrigued to know what is pep's cone boy's level of club seeing as he is dragging us down further :rubchin:
Augie, we're stuck with for a little longer, at least!
He will however be under more pressure than any other plge manager next season!
He will be praying for a kind opening 5 or 6 games, he needs to hit the ground running otherwise, with fans in the stadium and the anti-kroenke mood growing, every loss or draw will bring more unrest.
I think not having to play in the elge will afford him every chance to prove people wrong, (though i doubt he can)
That coupled with a summer clear out and hopefully some signings, will leave him with no excuses and nowhere to hide!
I've read somewhere that your man, Saliba will return after having a great season on loan!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Pleased for Emery, redemption for what he wasn't able to achieve for us. It just shows what he can do with a group of players who don't have huge egos, wages and act like prima dona's. This is why he was the wrong coach for Arsenal. He could not deal with the egos of the players. Villarreal, and Seville were a group of journeyman players not good enough for the biggest clubs.
That is his level of club, level of players and he was bringing us down to that level. Players knew it, most fans (apart from SteveO) know it. It's not an indictment on his capabilities it is just his level. That's why some big club managers fail at lesser clubs (Mourinho at Spurs, Adams at Wycombe).
Well done the yellow submarines, wonder what song will be sang at OT the most by the away fans next season..."You got beat by the Yellow Submarines..."
That has to be the two oddest choices of "big club managers" I've ever seen! :lol: :wink:

Moron-hio only wins things where he is at the richest club with unlimited spending or inherits a ready made title winning team - and is now a decade past his sell by date. And Adams? In what world is Adams a "big club manager"??? :shock:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nos89 wrote:
He has won more European trophies than our club has in its entire history! And we say that's his level eh?

As Augie says, I'd be fascinated to hear what 'level' his successor is at!

Anyway, you all got your wish - he got the boot! If you were daft enough to trust this board to appoint someone better than him then more fool you......you'll be waiting a long time for Josh and Wiggy and whoever their latest CEO is to appoint a good manager. They don't know any, and they won't pay for one. If Arteta gets the boot, I fully expect Roberto Martinez to seduce them with slick presentations and supposed insight

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Villarreal winning means they'll now be in the CL and not the Conference League which is a shame because I was already looking forward to them knocking the scum out next season.

They were probably the only half decent team in it and now that they're not it does leave it wide open for that other shower of shit to win it, the quality of teams in it is pretty grim but hopefully they come a cropper somewhere.

I don't want to seem those c.unts win a corner :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:33 am
Villarreal winning means they'll now be in the CL and not the Conference League which is a shame because I was already looking forward to them knocking the scum out next season.

They were probably the only half decent team in it and now that they're not it does leave it wide open for that other shower of shit to win it, the quality of teams in it is pretty grim but hopefully they come a cropper somewhere.

I don't want to seem those c.unts win a corner :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Oh Poppa roddaz.... not again.... trust Uncle Old Dirty Bastard - the scum will not win it. 8)

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 9:58 am
rodders999 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:33 am

Oh Poppa roddaz.... not again.... trust Uncle Old Dirty Bastard - the scum will not win it. 8)
Everyone who's in it is shit and unlike the Europa League where you can get a few big guns falling into it after the Champions League group stage, the teams that drop into this (which will be the teams that finish 3rd in their EL group :shock: ) are complete fucking dross.

Anyway you're probably right......for a change :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

How spurzy can you get they sack the fuckker and now they're grovelling to ask him to come back!

I mean what a choice PSG or SCUM ??? :rubchin: :rubchin: :rubchin:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Fuck me Rodders - stop it now! You had those c.unts down as champions and league cup winners this season FFS!!

If they invented a ninth tier European competition these clowns would find a way to finish runners up!

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 12:47 pm
Fuck me Rodders - stop it now! You had those c.unts down as champions and league cup winners this season FFS!!

If they invented a ninth tier European competition these clowns would find a way to finish runners up!
You know doomsday is my default setting when it comes to those c.unts SteveO, I find it makes the inevitable implosions all the more hilarious :wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

:cussing: up
SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:18 pm
Nos89 wrote:
He has won more European trophies than our club has in its entire history! And we say that's his level eh?

Anyway, you all got your wish - he got the boot! If you were daft enough to trust this board to appoint someone better than him then more fool you......you'll be waiting a long time for Josh and Wiggy and whoever their latest CEO is to appoint a good manager. They don't know any, and they won't pay for one. If Arteta gets the boot, I fully expect Roberto Martinez to seduce them with slick presentations and supposed insight
Which player would you sign from Villarreal? The Arsenal reject, the Spurs reject, the Liverpool reject, the city reject or the chelski reject?
Emery galvanised an average group of players to win their first major trophy. We on the other hand have a talented, high ego squad who gave up playing for a manager for reasons we don't know.
As for Arteta, he's not established his level yet, or what he's capable of doing cos he's only been a manager for one season. Clearly, at the wrong club.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 12:36 am
:cussing: up
SteveO 35 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 6:18 pm
Nos89 wrote:

Which player would you sign from Villarreal? The Arsenal reject, the Spurs reject, the Liverpool reject, the city reject or the chelski reject?
Emery galvanised an average group of players to win their first major trophy. We on the other hand have a talented, high ego squad who gave up playing for a manager for reasons we don't know.
As for Arteta, he's not established his level yet, or what he's capable of doing cos he's only been a manager for one season. Clearly, at the wrong club.
I wouldn't sign anyone from Villareal which surely illustrates the point about what a great achievement it is. I wouldn't sign anyone apart from Declan Rice from West Ham either but they find themselves in Europe and we don't

As for this bullshit about the players stopped playing for him.....the players who didn't fit in stopped playing for him. Martinelli didn't, Saka didn't, Leno didn't, Auba didn't

The useless overpaid c.unts signed by Wenger that have now thrown three managers under the bus stopped playing for him and as has been proved since, it was an amazing achievement to get those c.unts to finish 5th and reach a EL final. We gave someone 15 months to try and correct the failings of a decade or more. Not enough time by far

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

SteveO you know as well as I do that he was always going to be the one to give way immaterial of whether what happened was his fault or the players. You can sack one manager but no club in history has ever sacked 6 or 7 senior players in a situation like we had. Even if Unai had had the balls to exile all those senior players to the reserves it would have destroyed the squads already fragile morale.

I genuinely like Emery as an individual but as I've said time and time again he was the wrong man at the wrong time and i honestly dont think he adapted to the PL very well. For someone who was supposedly an expert analyst he severely overestimated the players/squad he had to effect the plan he wanted. Having seen how he has gotten an arguably worse set of players at Villarreal playing as a unit, even if it is pretty boring, that is exactly what he should have done with our squad. Build a strong base with what you have and change it going forward, instead he looked at our squad and went 'we can outscore anyone' so that's how we'll play and it nearly worked in the first season, unfortunately the flaws became quickly apparant in the second season.

Emery is a vastly more experienced Manager than Arteta currently and right now I'd replace Arteta with him because I think the basic squad we have now could better implement what Emery wanted, i also think the Owners might be more willing to listen to his ideas now than before, however, shit happened and we are stuck with Black whether we like it, agree with it or not so for me any speculation, what ifs or harping back over the past is pointless.

SteveO, you and Augie are wrong with what you keep implying, Emery would not have gotten more out of us for the remainder of that season than Arteta did, we were getting worse under him not better, rose tinted glasses dont change the facts, we were playing awful football, the players were getting lazier each game and he was looking less and less able to influence things from the sidelines. If you doubt me go back and watch his last 3 or 4 games, watch the players, watch his bewildered face on the sidelines and watch the substitutions and tell me there was any sign of harmony that he could have built from.

In retrospect I actually wish we'd employed Arteta first, because lessons might have been learned and if not real change might have actually been forced by now. As it is, currently it feels almost like Mikel has been given a clean slate for next season, not from us on here but from what I read and hear many fans are actually making the excuses for him to justify where we are......I've actually heard a lifelong Arsenal supporter say to me (someone whom despised Wenger) and I quote 'to be fair to Arteta, he has had a tough season, we've had injuries, players with Covid and Malaria, the season was compressed, VAR was against us as well, so in actual fact Arteta did ok in the circumstances'. I've read similar things on various websites and forums too, the delusion once again is strong.

Being out of Europe is not a boon for us as some would like to think however I'll be watching Unai and Villareal in the ECL to see how he gets on as I think that squad might actually shock a few teams next season and I genuinely hope UE is successful with them.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 11:47 am
SteveO you know as well as I do that he was always going to be the one to give way immaterial of whether what happened was his fault or the players. You can sack one manager but no club in history has ever sacked 6 or 7 senior players in a situation like we had. Even if Unai had had the balls to exile all those senior players to the reserves it would have destroyed the squads already fragile morale.

I genuinely like Emery as an individual but as I've said time and time again he was the wrong man at the wrong time and i honestly dont think he adapted to the PL very well. For someone who was supposedly an expert analyst he severely overestimated the players/squad he had to effect the plan he wanted. Having seen how he has gotten an arguably worse set of players at Villarreal playing as a unit, even if it is pretty boring, that is exactly what he should have done with our squad. Build a strong base with what you have and change it going forward, instead he looked at our squad and went 'we can outscore anyone' so that's how we'll play and it nearly worked in the first season, unfortunately the flaws became quickly apparant in the second season.

Emery is a vastly more experienced Manager than Arteta currently and right now I'd replace Arteta with him because I think the basic squad we have now could better implement what Emery wanted, i also think the Owners might be more willing to listen to his ideas now than before, however, shit happened and we are stuck with Black whether we like it, agree with it or not so for me any speculation, what ifs or harping back over the past is pointless.

SteveO, you and Augie are wrong with what you keep implying, Emery would not have gotten more out of us for the remainder of that season than Arteta did, we were getting worse under him not better, rose tinted glasses dont change the facts, we were playing awful football, the players were getting lazier each game and he was looking less and less able to influence things from the sidelines. If you doubt me go back and watch his last 3 or 4 games, watch the players, watch his bewildered face on the sidelines and watch the substitutions and tell me there was any sign of harmony that he could have built from.

In retrospect I actually wish we'd employed Arteta first, because lessons might have been learned and if not real change might have actually been forced by now. As it is, currently it feels almost like Mikel has been given a clean slate for next season, not from us on here but from what I read and hear many fans are actually making the excuses for him to justify where we are......I've actually heard a lifelong Arsenal supporter say to me (someone whom despised Wenger) and I quote 'to be fair to Arteta, he has had a tough season, we've had injuries, players with Covid and Malaria, the season was compressed, VAR was against us as well, so in actual fact Arteta did ok in the circumstances'. I've read similar things on various websites and forums too, the delusion once again is strong.

Being out of Europe is not a boon for us as some would like to think however I'll be watching Unai and Villareal in the ECL to see how he gets on as I think that squad might actually shock a few teams next season and I genuinely hope UE is successful with them.
That bit in red is the unfortunate truth. But it is the truth. A shame because Dick is a very likeable and classy guy. But being likeable and classy does not change the fact he was a poor manager for us that just got worse as time went on.

Now, before anyone tries to imply that me saying that means I think Martinez-Lite is better or was the right appointment, can we please not shuffle down that long tedious silly road. NEITHER were or are good enough for what we need at Arsenal.

Dick was a bad appointment. Martinez-Lite was a worse appointment. That still does not mean we were wrong to sack Dick. We weren't. We were wrong to appoint the novice with an ego bigger than his talent in the Spanish David Brent. :|

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Exactly what I've been saying for God knows how long and still SteveO doesn't seem to accepted it.

Just because Arteta has turned out to be a worse appointment doesn't mean Emery was the right appointment.

Emery was dismissed at the correct time (maybe even a few weeks earlier would have been better) because we were heading for major trouble if he'd stayed.

augie

Post by augie »

Clummo99 wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 1:13 pm
Exactly what I've been saying for God knows how long and still SteveO doesn't seem to accepted it.

Just because Arteta has turned out to be a worse appointment doesn't mean Emery was the right appointment.

Emery was dismissed at the correct time (maybe even a few weeks earlier would have been better) because we were heading for major trouble if he'd stayed.

Surely for it to be the correct decision, the guy that replaced him has to do a better job ? I keep saying that I only ever viewed emery as a bridge appointment to get us going in the right direction again, but I still believe that the bridge was shorter than it should have been - if we sack him and replace him with a conte or some other manager who instantly improves us and has us on the up again then it is a great decision, but if you replace him with a muppet that has no experience and is dragging us down much further, then it is a catastrophic appointment that is being compounded by their refusal to replace arteta.

The correctness of sacking any manager does not come down to that manager but is down to the performance of his successor