Unai Emery

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Clash

Re: Unai Emery

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:31 pm
Not that being a decent human being counts for some on here (not all thankfully) but read this and say whether the bloke deserved "What do we think of Emery? SHIT" and "We hate Emery" from those sad pricks that call themselves fans on AFTV

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50609598

"It has been an honour to be the Arsenal head coach," said Emery, who previously led Paris St-Germain to the French league title and won three Europa Leagues with Sevilla.

"To all the fans, I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for helping me to understand and feel the greatness of Arsenal.

"To all of you who have supported us from every corner of the globe, all of you who have come to the Emirates, all of you who have waited in the rain and cold just to greet me after a game, I would have liked nothing more than to have achieved better results for you."

He added: "It has been a year and a half full of emotions, of great moments and some other more bitter ones, but not a single day has gone by without me stopping to think about how lucky I have been to work for this club with these players and their professional and personal qualities."

Compare and contrast that to the bitter bile being spewed out from the previous fucktard
Nice parting words from a man who acted with dignity from start to finish.

The real greatness of Arsenal is something I don’t think Emery saw though, which is a shame. He didn’t see the best of us and maybe we didn’t see the best of him either. It Just wasn’t the right fit.

However, one game in his reign that I will always remember is the 4-2 win against Sp*rs last season. Unfortunately that was the peak and it went downhill after that but it was a fantastic game that re-awoke something in me that had been dormant for years. Wenger had pretty much killed my passion with how he strangled the life out of the club so it was so good to experience a match like that again. I consider that game as the best since we left Highbury.

Also after that match, Emery said the game was for the supporters. Something Wenger never said in his entire time at the club. In fact I don’t remember him once acknowledging the supporters ... unless he was having a sly dig at us :roll:

A real pity that Emery didn’t work out but the change had to be made.

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

I will put my hand up and say that in recent weeks I did give him the lip a lot. Still thankful for his service, the fit wasn't right between the club and the manager and that happens.

Wish him the best of luck though, I do get emotional but at the end of the day, it is a game for us and everyone is human.

subtleasaheadbutt

Post by subtleasaheadbutt »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:42 am
Good luck to him wherever he ends up, he inherited a shit show and was not capable of moving things forward, not his fault but he was not ready for this level of club with the multiple problems it has. Also the EPL is a different kettle of fish from Spain or France and like many Managers and Coaches he was not capable of adapting to it, but again it was not his fault he was retained far too long.

Where we go from here is anyone's guess. Freddie is in an unenviable position, if things go tits up for him all the ire must be directed at those above and not him. He is in no way ready to take on a struggling EPL team of our stature but i hope to god he can do something to stop the rot or at the very least his interim period is short.
He inherited shit and added a fan. Here for 18 months and it's worse. Shit is now everywhere

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Not that being a decent human being counts for some on here (not all thankfully) but read this and say whether the bloke deserved "What do we think of Emery? SHIT" and "We hate Emery" from those sad pricks that call themselves fans on AFTV

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50609598

"It has been an honour to be the Arsenal head coach," said Emery, who previously led Paris St-Germain to the French league title and won three Europa Leagues with Sevilla.

"To all the fans, I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for helping me to understand and feel the greatness of Arsenal.

"To all of you who have supported us from every corner of the globe, all of you who have come to the Emirates, all of you who have waited in the rain and cold just to greet me after a game, I would have liked nothing more than to have achieved better results for you."

He added: "It has been a year and a half full of emotions, of great moments and some other more bitter ones, but not a single day has gone by without me stopping to think about how lucky I have been to work for this club with these players and their professional and personal qualities."

Compare and contrast that to the bitter bile being spewed out from the previous fucktard
Well said. Utterly embarrassed by some of the shit he's been subjected too. Even over here you would have some posters call him a :censored:.

Bradywasking

Post by Bradywasking »

Just didn't work out and his departure was inevitable and maybe merciful release for him in the end.
He was a dignified manager who tried his best but in a league that is so competitive he was lost. Every game was a battle and maybe that was something he wasn't used to.
He never tried the blame game, never slated the players or fans. He failed and it seems to have hurt him professionally and personally that he didn't deliver. He wasn't helped by players. Their lack of effort in recent weeks along with his weakness in dealing with them compounded his shortcomings.
The 4-2 v Spurs was the highlight of his reign, the scenes in the crowd that day and the passion on the pitch made all Arsenal fans feel we had our club back . Of course we never will have it back as long as Silent Stan is at the helm.
He was unlucky with the injury to Holding who was developing into a fine player..Sadly his return to the pitch hasn't seen a return to form.His purchase of Luiz was a hair brained idea. It made no sense at the time and less sense since. Emery inherited a mess and sadly leaves a mess.He wasn't the man for the job.
I hope he gets a decent club in Spain and keeps them in touch with the big three.

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

He inherited a pile of shit & added shit players to it so what other result can you expect. Whoever takes over will have the same problem. We still will end up in the bottom 6 this year which should be a lot of fun chaps !!. Good luck Freddie - save us from relegation & your my hero. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Blim

Post by Blim »

augie wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:14 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:51 pm
The usual idiots are being their usual selves on social media but that doesn't really come as a surprise anymore. We do seem to be saddled with some of the biggest twats of any club in our fanbase.

I don't have any ill feelings towards Unai but I'm glad he has gone but I don't harbour too much of the goodwill that some on here seem to have for him. It's been a fairly tough watch this last 18 months and his refusal / inability to address some of the more obvious failings of the side have been frustrating.

For the record his leaving message also includes the following paragraphs.

"In particular, I want to highlight Ivan Gazidis, who welcomed me to the club, and Raul Sanllehi, Edu and Vinai Venkatesham for their respect, companionship and help. Until the very last minute I have been treated with honour and honesty. And of course, I send my sincere gratitude to the Kroenke family, for their trust.

It has been a year and a half full of emotions, of great moments and some other more bitter ones, but not a single day has gone by without me stopping to think about how lucky I have been to work for this club with these players and their professional and personal qualities.

They have always honoured the shirt they wear. They deserve your support."

So Gazidis is a good guy and worthy of a name check and our players have always honoured the shirt.......really Unai?

Which is perfectly understandable and acceptable - there are a few on here though who have been very abusive towards the man recently but are now wishing him well/talking about him as a good guy, and I find hypocrisy like that is embarrassing tbh :oops: :oops:
Why all the hate, FFS its a game of football :|

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Thats a classy move by him, and by the club to publish it on their website.

Did anyone see the tweet from Martinelli ? - he said its the players fault, and they let him down.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Clash wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:51 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Nice parting words from a man who acted with dignity from start to finish.

The real greatness of Arsenal is something I don’t think Emery saw though, which is a shame. He didn’t see the best of us and maybe we didn’t see the best of him either. It Just wasn’t the right fit.

However, one game in his reign that I will always remember is the 4-2 win against Sp*rs last season. Unfortunately that was the peak and it went downhill after that but it was a fantastic game that re-awoke something in me that had been dormant for years. Wenger had pretty much killed my passion with how he strangled the life out of the club so it was so good to experience a match like that again. I consider that game as the best since we left Highbury.

Also after that match, Emery said the game was for the supporters. Something Wenger never said in his entire time at the club. In fact I don’t remember him once acknowledging the supporters ... unless he was having a sly dig at us :roll:

A real pity that Emery didn’t work out but the change had to be made.
The scum match was the highlight of his time here but even that was down to the crowd on the day rather than anything Unai did. It got a bit old skool that day for a change and the place was was properly rocking and the players tapped into it.

Sorry he didn't work out but not sorry to see him go.

augie

Post by augie »

Bradywasking wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:03 am
Just didn't work out and his departure was inevitable and maybe merciful release for him in the end.
He was a dignified manager who tried his best but in a league that is so competitive he was lost. Every game was a battle and maybe that was something he wasn't used to.
He never tried the blame game, never slated the players or fans. He failed and it seems to have hurt him professionally and personally that he didn't deliver. He wasn't helped by players. Their lack of effort in recent weeks along with his weakness in dealing with them compounded his shortcomings.
The 4-2 v Spurs was the highlight of his reign, the scenes in the crowd that day and the passion on the pitch made all Arsenal fans feel we had our club back . Of course we never will have it back as long as Silent Stan is at the helm.
He was unlucky with the injury to Holding who was developing into a fine player..Sadly his return to the pitch hasn't seen a return to form.His purchase of Luiz was a hair brained idea. It made no sense at the time and less sense since. Emery inherited a mess and sadly leaves a mess.He wasn't the man for the job.
I hope he gets a decent club in Spain and keeps them in touch with the big three.

Highlight of his reign and better than any other highlight in the past decade - as jock said, it got proper old skool but I would share the credit for the performance and result equally between the manager, players and fans. The manager lit a fire under the players, they responded by going hell for leather, and we responded by kicking up the atmosphere about ten notches

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

clockender1 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:53 am

Did anyone see the tweet from Martinelli ? - he said its the players fault, and they let him down.
Ironically posted by one of most junior players and one who actually performed well for him. Shows that some players are still capable of a bit of class.

I never took to the manager, but some of the hand wringing on here is cringe worthy. He tried and wasn't good enough due to a number of factors, the mess he was left, his inability to adapt , his baffling team selections, player apathy, club mismanagement at a higher level but to keep pushing the 'he was decent bloke' mantra is ridiculous. So what if he was a decent bloke, are you really suggesting we and the owners should therefore have left him to carry on no matter how much worse things got...... I've heard that before, let's judge him in may :roll:

Some of you need to get over yourselves, we all support the club in our own way and we equally all have the right to decide when a manager is failing our club, as for the personal abuse thing it rarely got particularly bad, the bile that was thrown at OGL, even if he was a lot more deserving, was a significantly worse and much more personal so the holier than though attitude some of you are espousing can go get fucked.

Just a further thought, maybe it was because he was such a decent bloke he struggled to get the best out of his players. We've all had managers who were a walkover and we have all seen fellow workers take the piss because those managers weren't strong enough individuals :rubchin:

Arsenal Till I Die

Post by Arsenal Till I Die »

I'll always remember that Spurs 4-2 game. It was on my birthday; I was watching it with my Spurs supporting dad and I still remember that euphoric feeling. That second half genuinely felt like we were back, and I really believed in Emery. Sadly, it didn't kick-on from there. Another game I will remember under the Emery era is the Valencia semi-final, second leg. There were times Emery's Arsenal had me believing again, had me excited again. Sadly, those moments were taken away quicker than they arrived and this season I have felt nothing but boredom and contempt when watching our clueless style of play.

I think the more Emery tried to maintain control he lost his grip. The issues he had at PSG seemed to have creeped over to Arsenal and perhaps his pragmatism limits him from successfully coaching at the top, top tier. Nevertheless, I wish him success, except if he comes up against us in the future.

John F

Post by John F »

The best for me would be the scum away tie as being a highlight when we were cheated out of the game by the officials. I thought it would be the usual Arsenal display when faced with a hostile crowd but we really took the game to them and deserved to win. The worst display was the second half at Huddersfield a game we won somehow but I couldn't believe the crap I was watching.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

clockender1 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:53 am

I think Martinelli is a very different gravy from all the other players - He is special on the pitch and it would seem off it too, and for such a young man too. I think he has the potential to be a Huge Star at Arsenal/in football - he's already part of the Brazil squad and will improve greatly the more match time he gets in out first team.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Ha, i just realized that wrighty is probably the only Arsenal fan that doesnt know that Dick got the sack. :lol: