other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
A11M11

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by A11M11 »

It's the overreaction that gains the publicity .

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Clummo99 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:03 am
g88ner wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:10 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:29 pm

What a shame in Paris. 4th ref said “the black guy” when indicating to the ref who should be booked on Istanbul’s bench. Istanbul Basaksehir walks off the pitch for racism. “Why you call him black man?!”, Istanbul players are literally furious. 🔴 #UCL #PSGIBFK
Tin hat on here but why is calling a black man “the black guy over there” considered racist?

I could be wrong but it looks like he was the only black guy (should I asterisk that out? :shock: ) on the bench, so referring to the most obvious distinguishing feature that sets him apart from his colleagues (his skin colour) seems a good way of quickly identifying him. Certainly the police would have referred to him as an IC3 (black) male in the same way that I’m an IC1 male and that’s definitely not racist.

I’m happy to be called out as wrong here but I don’t get why it led to a mass walkout and match cancellation. Seems a ridiculous overreaction that shouldn’t be indulged. :shock: :o

That said, the official was incredibly naive given the current climate :lol:
So the campaign is called Black Lives Matter and that's acceptable but to refer to an individual as "the black guy" is deemed offensive. As you say, maybe the official could have chosen his words more carefully but to all walk off is a complete overreaction imo.
Said years ago one day it will be a jail offence to call someone "Black"

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

g88ner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

What a shame in Paris. 4th ref said “the black guy” when indicating to the ref who should be booked on Istanbul’s bench. Istanbul Basaksehir walks off the pitch for racism. “Why you call him black man?!”, Istanbul players are literally furious. 🔴 #UCL #PSGIBFK
Tin hat on here but why is calling a black man “the black guy over there” considered racist?

I could be wrong but it looks like he was the only black guy (should I asterisk that out? :shock: ) on the bench, so referring to the most obvious distinguishing feature that sets him apart from his colleagues (his skin colour) seems a good way of quickly identifying him. Certainly the police would have referred to him as an IC3 (black) male in the same way that I’m an IC1 male and that’s definitely not racist.

I’m happy to be called out as wrong here but I don’t get why it led to a mass walkout and match cancellation. Seems a ridiculous overreaction that shouldn’t be indulged. :shock: :o

Agree 100%. The World has gone fucking nuts. If it was reversed and the culprit was the only white guy and was pointed out on that basis, no one would have batted an eyelid.

I don't even agree with those saying that perhaps there was a better way of pointing him out. Why? There's absolutely nothing racist about saying "the black guy", unless one is looking to confect some faux outrage. Rather than having to avoid saying something that some clown might choose to deliberately misconstrue, it's high time that people and particularly the media, politicians and the authorities, grew a backbone and called this bollocks out for what it is. Of course, exactly the opposite is happening, with EUFA shitting themselves and beginning an investigation. That will no doubt be the end of the officials career, poor bastard.

In my world, the Turkish team would be told they've forfeited their place in the competition.

I see that Demba Ba, was on the subs bench and asked the official, "Why, when you mention a black guy, do you have to say 'this black guy?'"
Errrrr.......... :lol:

Fucking lunacy.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:19 pm
g88ner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Agree 100%. The World has gone fucking nuts. If it was reversed and the culprit was the only white guy and was pointed out on that basis, no one would have batted an eyelid.

I don't even agree with those saying that perhaps there was a better way of pointing him out. Why? There's absolutely nothing racist about saying "the black guy", unless one is looking to confect some faux outrage. Rather than having to avoid saying something that some clown might choose to deliberately misconstrue, it's high time that people and particularly the media, politicians and the authorities, grew a backbone and called this bollocks out for what it is. Of course, exactly the opposite is happening, with EUFA shitting themselves and beginning an investigation. That will no doubt be the end of the officials career, poor bastard.

In my world, the Turkish team would be told they've forfeited their place in the competition.

I see that Demba Ba, was on the subs bench and asked the official, "Why, when you mention a black guy, do you have to say 'this black guy?'"

Fucking lunacy.
Its OK we can all calm down....John Barnes has said its not racist.....

augie

Post by augie »

To be fair to john barnes he did say that if it was one guy in a room with a load of black people, he wouldnt feel there was anything wrong in referring to him as "the white guy".

Maybe it is easy for me to say cos I'm not black, but is the reaction justified or does it undermine the arguments for other more serious incidents ? For me it is a kind of "cry wolf" scenario cos most white people wont view it as racist, but next week if the same people make another claim of racism, it will be said (by some) that these same people made another claim of racism last week and are obviously looking for attention

Again, as an Irish man I have seen a lot of incidents where fellow Irish person would be referenced in the "he's the paddy over there" type of scenario - I have never had an issue with it and nor did anyone I know have a problem with it. I am Irish so referring to my nationality/race isnt an insult imo, and even if someone called me an Irish c.unt (has happened once or twice :wink: ), then the only part that would register with me is the c.unt part cos that is meant to offend

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:07 pm
To be fair to john barnes he did say that if it was one guy in a room with a load of black people, he wouldnt feel there was anything wrong in referring to him as "the white guy".

Maybe it is easy for me to say cos I'm not black, but is the reaction justified or does it undermine the arguments for other more serious incidents ? For me it is a kind of "cry wolf" scenario cos most white people wont view it as racist, but next week if the same people make another claim of racism, it will be said (by some) that these same people made another claim of racism last week and are obviously looking for attention

Again, as an Irish man I have seen a lot of incidents where fellow Irish person would be referenced in the "he's the paddy over there" type of scenario - I have never had an issue with it and nor did anyone I know have a problem with it. I am Irish so referring to my nationality/race isnt an insult imo, and even if someone called me an Irish c.unt (has happened once or twice :wink: ), then the only part that would register with me is the c.unt part cos that is meant to offend

Augie, you Irish cu......oops, nearly. :lol: :wink:

All this crap is counterproductive and is making race relations worse. Things had improved greatly from the 60s and 70s to the mid 90s, because they'd evolved organically and people, especially younger people, were used to various ethnicities and all rubbed along together. I'm not saying things were perfect, or that they'd moved fast enough for minority groups, but improve they had and by some measure. Cue the onset of the mid to late 90s and the politically correct agenda, which has evolved into the woke madness we see now. Once people are lectured, hectored, coerced and legally threatened to abide by rules they find oppressive and have no respect for, then you risk giving rise to resentment. That in turn can fuel anger and ultimately give rise to anti minority sentiment, which is, ironically, what you were hoping to erase.

I'm not sure that I even agree with the "Paddy" point. I've known plenty of Irish guys that use the term themselves, but I've also known some that object to it. When used by English people, it can, to various degrees, have an underbelly of anti-Irishness...not in all cases, but certainly in some and I really don't see how the PSG situation is analogous. The bloke is black and if he was the only black guy there, then so what, what's so wrong with being referred to as black? If there was one ginger guy, wouldn't it be ok to say "it was the ginger bloke", or "the bloke with the beard", or one fucking leg, or whatever?? By the same token, "Paddy" doesn't refer to a physical, easily identifiable charactersistic and anyway, if no offence was intended, surely one would say "it was the Irish guy" and not "the Paddy", or worse imo, "the Mick".

I also don't buy the contemporary line about not being black, so you can't have an opinion. All that aims to do, is shut down any dissenting voice. I'm not gay, but I know enough about right and wrong to know that Isis shouldn't throw gay people off the top of buildings and I don't have to be a woman to know that domestic violence is wrong. It's a fucking insult to suggest that someone doesn't have the intelligence or moral/ethical sense, to make judgements about right and wrong, without having a dog in the race. I don't think I've ever heard anyone say, "Well I think the holocaust was wrong, but then again, I'm not Jewish, so who knows?"

Ffs.

falkirk goon

Post by falkirk goon »

Unseeded
Kiev
Olympiakos
Salzburg
Krasanoder
Seeded
Manure
Bruges
Shahkter
Ajax

These are the champ lge dropouts..whats the chances we get olympiakos again..

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Oh you racist bastards! :banghead:

The word "black" has been bandied around on this thread with no thought or consideration for all the poor snowflake woke wannabes and their eternally offended state of mind.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

:suicide:

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 am

The word "black" has been bandied around on this thread with no thought or consideration for all the poor snowflake woke wannabes and their eternally offended state of mind.

That’s true. This is definitely a black mark on my mod credentials :(

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Suddenly people are talking about language and how they developed .
2000 years ago people spoke latin and the Romans spread over Europe from their language spawned many different tongues for black
Spanish = Negro ,Portuguese Preto or negro , Italian is Nero ,and in this case Rumainian is negru all come from Latin itself where the word is Niger .

Did Demba Ba mishear ? or did the woke chip on his shoulder take over . ?

John Barnes is right if the Nigerian team ( whoops there's that word again ) had one white man on the bench would that be seen as racist were he described as such ?

We are seeing the American black populations angst taking over just because the word was adapted 200 years ago and used as a demeaning term to describe them .
Latin 2000 years old , American slang 200 years old

Incidentally just as a by remark Basaksehir are a Turkish team and a word for Black commonly used in parts of Turkey is sooty ( pick the bones out of that .

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

g88ner wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:08 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:44 am

That’s true. This is definitely a black mark on my mod credentials :(
:lol:

Y'know g88ner for all your nice guy image on here I've always secretly thought if you lived in Alabama you'd be the head of the local KKK chapter. Or a raging tranny.

:shock:

:wink:

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:12 pm
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:42 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:05 pm
You can tell when your team is having a bad season when you want southampton to beat Brighton so that we don't end the weekend in 16th position. Never liked southampton since Davis broke Cockerill's jaw. Don't know what he said to polite Paul, but he must have deserved getting clouted for it.
From what I've heard since, Cockerill said a racially abusive term and Davis quite rightly gave him the old left hook knock-out.

It's on You Tube if you want to see it. it was only a short, sharp punch but the racist cunnt went down like a sack of cement
I was at the game. No one saw the punch, as play had moved away from the incident. Boos rang out when Davis was shown the red card as no one knew what it was for. First trial by TV. The good old days when you only saw what you saw, not what sky want you to see.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:19 pm
g88ner wrote:
mcdowell42 wrote:

Fucking lunacy.
Ba baa ........

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

falkirk goon wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:08 pm
Unseeded
Kiev
Olympiakos
Salzburg
Krasanoder
Seeded
Manure
Bruges
Shahkter
Ajax

These are the champ lge dropouts..whats the chances we get olympiakos again..
That will no doubt pick Rodders up, particularly the unseeded bit

StuartL

Post by StuartL »

[quote=A11M11 post_id=1153732 time=1607597426 user_id=6760

Incidentally just as a by remark Basaksehir are a Turkish team and a word for Black commonly used in parts of Turkey is sooty ( pick the bones out of that .
[/quote]

I think we should sweep that under the carpet :wink: