other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
northbank123

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by northbank123 »

1989 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:12 am
northbank123 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:36 pm
1989 wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:16 am
northbank123 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:35 pm
1989 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:57 pm
Yes I do, and it means very little in the grand scheme of things.
Other than the fact they were 25 points off winning the title last year and need to overhaul that massive gap to win it this year?
How many points were Leicester off winning the title the season prior to them winning it?
And if you hAd come on here proclaiming it was Leicester’s year then I would have been even more dismissive :lol:
Fine, Chelsea finished 10th, 31 points behind the champions in 2015-16. The following season they won the league.

Would you have been dismissive of Chelsea's chances based on that previous season points gap too? Interesting.
Aside from being a fluke of a bad season which was 37 points down on the previous year and 25-30 points down on average, Chelsea had won the title the year before and as a wider picture had won 4 titles and 4 runners up positions in just over a decade before that. And added probably the best player in the league that season to their squad.

Liverpool last year finished with 75 points which is a good year from them, consistent with the year before and only materially bettered once in the last 9 years with Suarez when they blew it. And they’ve not won a title in nearly 30 years which as we saw in 2014 and anytime spurs get near a trophy plays a big part.

Not saying that Liverpool have got no chance but they have an absolutely massive gap to close on a Man City side who most people would fancy to rack up over 90 points.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:17 am
Quite a funny (and pertinent) heated discussion between the "reporter" scum on Sunday Supplement. The usual mouser agenda media shit came up. "Is this their year?" squeaked the over excited gobshite presenter. I paraphrase:

"No" said fat reporter scum.

"Yes deffo" said skinny reporter scum and some token bird reporter scum.

Heated debate ensued and the fucking idiot presenter looked like he was mortally offended that fat reporter scum still didn't think the Mousers were near good enough to compete with citeh and kept pressing fat reporter scum to agree.

Eventually fat reporter scum just sighed and in a great deadpan voice said "ok yeah fine they will win it because Klopp is great and he's jumping about on the touchline and stuff".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I watch sunday supplement most of the time, and I have to say that "token bird reporter" is good and very knowledgable, and certainly better than many of her male counterparts that appear in the show - she has always been very fair when talking about all things AFC, and for the past couple of seasons had questioned the performance of the former manager and the direction the club was heading. The fat reporter scum is the very definition of a biased football journo - he loves all things manu and moaninho, and makes no bones about openly showing it when defending them, so he was always gonna argue against the victims.

For what it is worth I dont think that the victims will finish any higher than 3rd this season - citeeh are an absolutely certainty to win it, but I also believe that the scum first 11 is a lot better than the victims first 11, and I think that they will finish second again IF they dont get any injuries to their main men cos their squad isnt deep enough

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

1989 wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:16 am
Spurs will batter us home and away this season.
I watched the game last night - uniteds central defence was non existent and the midfield didn’t cover when the backs bombed forward.

One goal was from a sloppy three yard pass from Pogba.

United made the spuds look good.

I think we’ll improve and they will not do any better than last season.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:14 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:17 am
Quite a funny (and pertinent) heated discussion between the "reporter" scum on Sunday Supplement. The usual mouser agenda media shit came up. "Is this their year?" squeaked the over excited gobshite presenter. I paraphrase:

"No" said fat reporter scum.

"Yes deffo" said skinny reporter scum and some token bird reporter scum.

Heated debate ensued and the fucking idiot presenter looked like he was mortally offended that fat reporter scum still didn't think the Mousers were near good enough to compete with citeh and kept pressing fat reporter scum to agree.

Eventually fat reporter scum just sighed and in a great deadpan voice said "ok yeah fine they will win it because Klopp is great and he's jumping about on the touchline and stuff".

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I watch sunday supplement most of the time, and I have to say that "token bird reporter" is good and very knowledgable, and certainly better than many of her male counterparts that appear in the show - she has always been very fair when talking about all things AFC, and for the past couple of seasons had questioned the performance of the former manager and the direction the club was heading. The fat reporter scum is the very definition of a biased football journo - he loves all things manu and moaninho, and makes no bones about openly showing it when defending them, so he was always gonna argue against the victims.

For what it is worth I dont think that the victims will finish any higher than 3rd this season - citeeh are an absolutely certainty to win it, but I also believe that the scum first 11 is a lot better than the victims first 11, and I think that they will finish second again IF they dont get any injuries to their main men cos their squad isnt deep enough
Token. :wink:

clockender1

Re: other matches this weekend - 10/8- 13/8

Post by clockender1 »

clockender1 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:49 pm
I really don't want Brentford to get promoted. they are supposed to be my local 'small' club, not playing The Arsenal.
famous last sodding words.

The Arsenal drawn against the Bees in the League cup. :banghead:

there goes Brentford's money spinning cup run :cry:

bollocks.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

fuck Brentford :wink:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

AkneyGooner wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:53 pm
fuck Brentford :wink:
ha. the last five years I would have gone mental without them to keep me relatively sane, or given up watching football entirely, which is pretty much the same thing.

as an STH since 92, the last decade of the ex-manager was unbearable.

I even went to watch Staines Town a few times. :oops:

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

yeah not a STH, I go to few games a season via silver membership, but I know what you mean, felt like no passion in our game under Wenger at times.

herbert

Post by herbert »

clockender1 wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:17 pm
clockender1 wrote:
I really don't want Brentford to get promoted. they are supposed to be my local 'small' club, not playing The Arsenal.

bollocks.
When was the last time we played Brentford ? I dont think I have ever seen us play them at home? and their ground is the only london ground that I have never seen Arsenal play at

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

herbert wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:29 pm
clockender1 wrote:
clockender1 wrote:

bollocks.
When was the last time we played Brentford ? I dont think I have ever seen us play them at home? and their ground is the only london ground that I have never seen Arsenal play at
Arsenal stadium mystery ? They were the opposition but called the Trojans I think for the purpose of the film.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

herbert wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:29 pm
clockender1 wrote:
clockender1 wrote:

bollocks.
WWII . At GP. My great uncle Jack worked on the GP Gate before and during the war. Dad sold programmes too then to get in for nothing.

It was the War league.

herbert

Post by herbert »

A long time ago then :shock: Good draw for the 3 or 4? Brentford players who came through our academy

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

herbert wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:18 pm
A long time ago then :shock: Good draw for the 3 or 4? Brentford players who came through our academy
What now? They didn't end up at Madrid and captaining England? :shock:

Could we shut the academy and maybe rent the building out to a local school for their PE needs?

:wink:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:13 am
herbert wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:18 pm

Could we shut the academy and maybe rent the building out to a local school for their PE needs?

Why would we do that ? :? Dont you remember the long list of quality young players the french cock developed and upon which the team was built for years ? Off the top of my head I can remember cashly cole and........., give me a minute to think of the others :rubchin: Oh yeah there was bendtner, denilson, bentley, clichy, jet and fcuk knows how many others :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Ironically Brentford shuttered their academy and youth system in 2016.

They now have a B team that plays B teams from England Italy and Spain.

The production just wasn’t worth the cost .