other matches this weekend

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: other matches this weekend

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

g88ner wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:20 pm
augie wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:12 pm
falkirk goon wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:52 pm
Leeds giving Villa a proper brownholing 3-0 up in injury time

And martinez apparently fcuked up for one of the goals - might disrupt the recent narrative on here at least for a few days 8)
Nah, Martinez didn’t fuck up at all. It was a good low drive that was tough to deal with.

Leno last night on the other hand... that was a fuck up :lol:
Man city's goal came from point blank range that was hard to deal with yet it was all Leno's fault

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Palmed out a shot and conceded on the rebound, same as Leno did but some will still say the 6 month wonder is the best keeper we had since Spunky :roll: :roll: :rubchin:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Everton top, Aston Villa 2nd, Leeds 3rd.

Game’s gone mate 8)

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

TeeCee wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:58 am
Palmed out a shot and conceded on the rebound, same as Leno did but some will still say the 6 month wonder is the best keeper we had since Spunky :roll: :roll: :rubchin:
Spot on Tee Cee!

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Getting away from the individual back biting
. I am on record saying that I thought Martinez was a better bet as I didn't see much between them shot stopping but because he installed a calmness which Leno doesn't.
Which begs the question are the Leno supporters here happy with him or should we be looking for something better.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

For me they are Both Good Keepers, but what I witnessed when Martinez came in for the injured Leno - Was someone with a quietness and Calm about him - almost a confidence - that was better than Leno and this appeared to filter down/out through our defence and the rest of the team,.

It is not coincidence that he very quickly gained the respect of the fans and many others (including Aston Villa).

Leno has that whiff of arrogance about him, whereas Martinez just seemed to get on with the job in hand.

Leno has saved us (no pun intended) more times than he has let us down by fucking up, it's just pity that Martinez only got a relatively short time to demonstrate just how good he is.

Leno will either improve and reduce the seemingly wide margin of error that is there, or he will fuck-up and be sold.... Problem is the club will be reluctant to spend money on a new keeper, having had two decent ones.

Either way, that are leaps and bounds above Almunia the clown and Ospina. (Though the latter was definitely better than the the former).

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:29 am
For me they are Both Good Keepers, but what I witnessed when Martinez came in for the injured Leno - Was someone with a quietness and Calm about him - almost a confidence - that was better than Leno and this appeared to filter down/out through our defence and the rest of the team,.

It is not coincidence that he very quickly gained the respect of the fans and many others (including Aston Villa).

Leno has that whiff of arrogance about him, whereas Martinez just seemed to get on with the job in hand.

Leno has saved us (no pun intended) more times than he has let us down by fucking up, it's just pity that Martinez only got a relatively short time to demonstrate just how good he is.

Leno will either improve and reduce the seemingly wide margin of error that is there, or he will fuck-up and be sold.... Problem is the club will be reluctant to spend money on a new keeper, having had two decent ones.

Either way, that are leaps and bounds above Almunia the clown and Ospina. (Though the latter was definitely better than the the former).
Was ten years not enough time for him to show how good he is? :lol:

Topside Northbank

Post by Topside Northbank »

Leno is a good shot stopper his distribution is poor with his feet especially but the playing out from the back all the time does my head in anyway.

Of all the shit goals we have conceded recent years Watford away last season annoyed the fuck out of me more than any :banghead: :banghead: we should of ditched it then or switched it up under a new manager.

Martinez was great for us last season but maybe playing without a crowd has lifted some players pressure wise, take Bamford couldn't hit a barn door for Palace in the PL and Leeds fans would have happily jogged him on before the season started.

Martinez had shockers at Reading and Liverpool in the league cup, will be interesting to see how he does at Villa when crowds return 2022/23 season by this rate!

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

Last edited by Clummo99 on Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

augie

Post by augie »

A11M11 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:00 am
Getting away from the individual back biting
. I am on record saying that I thought Martinez was a better bet as I didn't see much between them shot stopping but because he installed a calmness which Leno doesn't.
Which begs the question are the Leno supporters here happy with him or should we be looking for something better.

Speaking for myself, I think that leno is a better shot stopper and I am much happier with the arrogance/assurance that he brings to the backline than I am with a keeper with a 10 year record of being no higher than a back up to the back up keeper. I will tip my hat to martinez on dealing with crosses cos I feel that he is far better at dealing with crosses than leno, and in the english game a keeper cannot afford to be weak under crosses. Where I will also defend both keepers is on the subject of this bul.lshit playing out from the back - in fairness to arteta he came out and admitted after the game that it is his policy that requires them to play out from the back, but that doesnt excuse him totally cos he employs a policy on players that are simply not good enough to play out from the back.
What I will also say is that villa were on tv a few weeks ago and martinez fcuked up early in the game and got away with it when they absolutely should have conceded - all keepers fcuk up along the way but because we are mostly watching AFC games we are not as aware of the mistakes he is also making. Leno has to up his game and quick imo, but as of now I still believe that the right keeper was kept

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Early days I know but Shammers 1-0 up against Pep's mob. I can't believe more people didn't call out City's performance last season - with the hundreds of millions they lavished on that squad to lose 9 league games and finish 18 points off the lead was a disgrace.....not to mention losing to Lyon in the CL QF again

Not a great start to this campaign either despite spunking more £millions

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:03 pm
Early days I know but Shammers 1-0 up against Pep's mob. I can't believe more people didn't call out City's performance last season - with the hundreds of millions they lavished on that squad to lose 9 league games and finish 18 points off the lead was a disgrace.....not to mention losing to Lyon in the CL QF again

Pep will be gone (back to Barca) by the end of the season if not before. Not winning the champions league last season when they thought they had it in the bag has deflated them completely. Now the side needs a massive overhaul especially up front and I don’t think he has the stomach for it.

Surprised he stayed this long to be honest. Away from home especially they look like they’re going to drop points almost every week.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:26 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Pep will be gone (back to Barca) by the end of the season if not before. Not winning the champions league last season when they thought they had it in the bag has deflated them completely. Now the side needs a massive overhaul especially up front and I don’t think he has the stomach for it.

Surprised he stayed this long to be honest. Away from home especially they look like they’re going to drop points almost every week.
Yeah agreed - wondered if they were lining up Pochettino before the little gobilin up the road gets the heave ho

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

I reckon there will be jobs at City, United, Barca and Madrid by the season’s end. Gonna be interesting to see who ends up where.

At the moment you’d think Pep to Barca and Poch to United. Would Zidane go to City? It will be a merry go round for sure.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

rodders999 wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:49 pm
I reckon there will be jobs at City, United, Barca and Madrid by the season’s end. Gonna be interesting to see who ends up where.

At the moment you’d think Pep to Barca and Poch to United. Would Zidane go to City? It will be a merry go round for sure.
Allegri will end up at one of those mentioned clubs