Cech-in or Petr-out

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
John F

Re: Cech-in or Petr-out

Post by John F »

By the time Cech masters it he will be like the Goalkeeper in the Father Ted escape from victory episode.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

John F wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:30 pm
By the time Cech masters it he will be like the Goalkeeper in the Father Ted escape from victory episode.
:lol:

Ernie71

Post by Ernie71 »

Cech is playing behind a fucking awful defence.People having a go at Cech's passing the ball out but none of his mistakes have led to a goal.6 of the 8 goals we have conceded have come down the clueless Kate Moss side.Our top CB's are a Chuckle Brothers tribute act.As for Monreal the positional sense of a turnip
If Leno came in we would still be conceding the same amount of goals.We need 4 new defenders

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Ernie71 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:27 pm
We need 4 new defenders
Fucking right we do........................and a new keeper too please :lol:

wibble

Post by wibble »

Ernie71 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:27 pm
Cech is playing behind a fucking awful defence.People having a go at Cech's passing the ball out but none of his mistakes have led to a goal.6 of the 8 goals we have conceded have come down the clueless Kate Moss side.Our top CB's are a Chuckle Brothers tribute act.As for Monreal the positional sense of a turnip
If Leno came in we would still be conceding the same amount of goals.We need 4 new defenders
Only because arter missed a sitter set up by cech passing straight to him

Post by 1989 »

Nearly scored the worst own goal in football history vs Man City as well.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

1989 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:06 pm
Nearly scored the worst own goal in football history vs Man City as well.
Only time I’ve ever laughed at one of our players being that shit.

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

I hope all those posters who were so quick to slate Cech this season are eating humble pie this morning. You know who you are :lol: :lol:
He has saved us in so many games already and yesterday showed what a good keeper he is.

AkneyGooner

Post by AkneyGooner »

SPARKSY wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:57 am
I hope all those posters who were so quick to slate Cech this season are eating humble pie this morning. You know who you are :lol: :lol:
He has saved us in so many games already and yesterday showed what a good keeper he is.
He was good yesterday I agree, We need a quailty young keeper though to push him. someone that is looking to take his spot.

augie

Post by augie »

SPARKSY wrote:

If that is the case, then I am looking forward to you coming on here eating humble pie WHEN (not if) cech starts to cost us points from mistakes that he has been lucky to get away with :roll:
Seriously, if you think one good performance means that any player means that they are good enough, then you must have been in total wanka-thon mode when below average almunia had that unbelieavble performance at manure in champs league semi a few seasons ago
:oops: :oops:

SPARKSY

Post by SPARKSY »

augie wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:14 am
SPARKSY wrote:

If that is the case, then I am looking forward to you coming on here eating humble pie WHEN (not if) cech starts to cost us points from mistakes that he has been lucky to get away with :roll:
Seriously, if you think one good performance means that any player means that they are good enough, then you must have been in total wanka-thon mode when below average almunia had that unbelieavble performance at manure in champs league semi a few seasons ago

You have obviously made your mind up and nothing will change that.
Cech kept the score down against City, kept us in the game at the Bridge, was pivotal in our win against WH and yesterday MOTM.

So yes, we can all see his passing from the back is poor but you are too quick to write him off. His experience is exactly what we need this season at a time of much change on the pitch. Leno will get his chance and will replace Cech but not yet.

augie

Post by augie »

SPARKSY wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:51 am
augie wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:14 am
SPARKSY wrote:

You have obviously made your mind up and nothing will change that.
Cech kept the score down against City, kept us in the game at the Bridge, was pivotal in our win against WH and yesterday MOTM.

So yes, we can all see his passing from the back is poor but you are too quick to write him off. His experience is exactly what we need this season at a time of much change on the pitch. Leno will get his chance and will replace Cech but not yet.

Yes and no - I absolutely agree that cech did well (ironically his best two moments were with his feet/legs as he made a good save with his legs, and made a great tackle with his legs in first few minutes) so I am not that far gone that I cant recognise when he did well. That being said, I find your suggestion that I am too quick to write him off as bizarre - I am not judging him on 5 or 6 games this season, but am doing so on the basis of the past two SEASONS when his reactions have declined shockingly, plus the leaning tower of pisa gets down quicker than he does. If cech is good enough still (as you clearly believe he is), then why has the vast, vast majority of people been crying out for a new keeper for over 12 months now ? You cannot in all seriousness claim that any fan is too quick to write him off, when he has been a long term weakness

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Cech has consistently given away corners, undersold defenders with weak passes and given the ball away which is inherently dangerous for a keeper. Even ignoring trying to pass it into the bet against city. If we are insisting on playing football from the back then it’s absolute madness to keep playing him and miraculous it hasn’t cost us a goal yet, six games in. Do we have to wait until the inevitable happens to realise he shouldn’t be playing?

As a general keeper other than that he is average. Makes some good saves as he did yesterday, equally lets some in which he should probably save and which a really good keeeper normally would. West Ham goal for a start. Not a complete calamity but doesn’t have the sort of command which he used to. Think we should be setting the bar much higher - not sure about Kepu yet and suspect chavs have overpaid but Cech is certainly the weakest out of the other top six options.

augie

Post by augie »

So you are also going down the route of using the opinions of a few to try and dismiss the opinions of many ?? You tell me who is better qualified to judge a player ................ a fan that goes to watch his team week after week, or a pundit who maybe watches said player a handful of times a season ? Of course there are many numpties that go support their team every week but havent got a scooby doo what they are talking about, but likewise there are many pundits who also fit into that bracket (although souness is a good pundit imo).
I agree with what northbank said in that cech is a decent keeper but is no longer at the required level for a club of our stature and supposed ambitions, and at 36 years of age he wont be at that level ever again