VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Herd

Re: VAR

Post by Herd »

VAR is a weapon of mass destruction and is being used to make sure Liverpool win the league !

augie

Post by augie »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:53 am
Biggest problem with VAR is that it takes too long
also why don't the refs use the pitchside monitor to make a decision ?
also just use it for when there is a clear problem - VAR is just making things worse.

Biggest problem with var is the people using it not the time involved - for every correct var decision (our goal at old shatford), there are about 20 truly appalling var decisions. Var was brought into improve the accuracy of decisions and to help the referee's, but if anything it has heaped more pressure and spotlight on referee's, cos no c.unt believes that var will get the decisions right anymore. How can you have an aussie tosser who has never refereed a premier league game in his life, passing judgement on whether our 3rd goal v palace should have stood or not ? What qualifies him to make the decision any better than a street cleaner or any other regular joe ? Useless c.unts using a system that was never gonna deliver what was expected, and that is why it is failing, and why it will continue to fail.
Btw I am a big nfl fan and they have the coaches challenges system down to a fine art, but that doesn't make it a compatible solution for football - stop start games like nfl, cricket and rugby can easily run quick checks on decisions, but footie is meant to be a game with continual flow to it, and as we are already seeing, fans don't like stop start games. I would also question the thinking behind the challenges system - in the nfl coaches have 2 (which could become 3) challenges per game, but are we saying that it is important we get those decisions correct, but no big deal if the other 20 calls per game are wrong ?

wibble

Post by wibble »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:34 pm
Ernie71 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:48 pm
Lets all yearn for the days when a 46 year old bloke runs after top athletes half his age, making mistake after mistake, and refusing to believe that technology has any role in improving that

I'm sure the Wimbledon organisers are already hatching a plan to do away with hawkeye and just have the line judges guess if the ball was out or not......after all we wouldn't want to upset old Doris, aged 68, in case she said it was in when it wasn't

Likewise the cricket authorities are considering, removing the snickometer and hotsport, preferring instead to rely on 60 year old Gerald's eyesight and hearing abilities to judge whether a 94 mph delivery edged the bat or not. Best not offend the old boy....he's a good old chap after all

Football - truly the world's most backward looking game

Just think how much better it would have been if we hadn't corrected Mr Magoo's decision at Old Trafford when Aubameyang was 4 yards onside and he still managed to flag it down. Would have been much better to lose 1-0 rather than the 1 minute inconvenience of reviewing the camera. Would have been a right shitter winning that 2001 FA Cup Final too when Henchoz stopped Henry making it 2-0 with his hand. Feels a lot better knowing the old c.unts on the day made an 'honest mistake'
What VAR has shown is 50 years ago when i first started watching football when MOTD has two games of highlights with one camera in the ground just how many mistakes the referees got away with

1. Let both managers have 3 appeals each half.If the decision isnt changed you lose one appeal. If you lose all your appeals like Australia did in the Ashes hard luck
2.Get ex players in the VAR booth.Referee's in the booth are afriad to over turn on field referee's decisions
3.Get referee's to use the monitor on the side of the pitch

I can understand point 1 but it doesn't improve things because so much of the problem (as in 100% of it) is down to useless spineless VAR officials who have decided to completely abuse, misinterpret and fu.ck up a perfectly good system.

Point 2, I agree with and have said the same on here. This is definitely worth a trial and would undoubtedly give better decisions.

Point 3, I don't think would be needed as much if we had point 2 in use.

Referees time and time again demonstrate that they do not understand the spirit of the game, it's just how it is when you reach that level of officialdom. They can't help it and are incapable of change so get rid of them out of the VAR room.
Not sure how impartial ex players would be. Can you imagine if sheringham (for example) disallowed an Arsenal goal for someone’s armpit being offside?

I guess rules could be in place re what teams games ex players can be involved in but don’t see it working in practice

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

wibble wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:50 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Ernie71 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:
Lets all yearn for the days when a 46 year old bloke runs after top athletes half his age, making mistake after mistake, and refusing to believe that technology has any role in improving that

I'm sure the Wimbledon organisers are already hatching a plan to do away with hawkeye and just have the line judges guess if the ball was out or not......after all we wouldn't want to upset old Doris, aged 68, in case she said it was in when it wasn't

Likewise the cricket authorities are considering, removing the snickometer and hotsport, preferring instead to rely on 60 year old Gerald's eyesight and hearing abilities to judge whether a 94 mph delivery edged the bat or not. Best not offend the old boy....he's a good old chap after all

Just think how much better it would have been if we hadn't corrected Mr Magoo's decision at Old Trafford when Aubameyang was 4 yards onside and he still managed to flag it down. Would have been much better to lose 1-0 rather than the 1 minute inconvenience of reviewing the camera. Would have been a right shitter winning that 2001 FA Cup Final too when Henchoz stopped Henry making it 2-0 with his hand. Feels a lot better knowing the old c.unts on the day made an 'honest mistake'
What VAR has shown is 50 years ago when i first started watching football when MOTD has two games of highlights with one camera in the ground just how many mistakes the referees got away with

1. Let both managers have 3 appeals each half.If the decision isnt changed you lose one appeal. If you lose all your appeals like Australia did in the Ashes hard luck
2.Get ex players in the VAR booth.Referee's in the booth are afriad to over turn on field referee's decisions

I can understand point 1 but it doesn't improve things because so much of the problem (as in 100% of it) is down to useless spineless VAR officials who have decided to completely abuse, misinterpret and fu.ck up a perfectly good system.

Point 2, I agree with and have said the same on here. This is definitely worth a trial and would undoubtedly give better decisions.

Referees time and time again demonstrate that they do not understand the spirit of the game, it's just how it is when you reach that level of officialdom. They can't help it and are incapable of change so get rid of them out of the VAR room.
Not sure how impartial ex players would be. Can you imagine if sheringham (for example) disallowed an Arsenal goal for someone’s armpit being offside?

I guess rules could be in place re what teams games ex players can be involved in but don’t see it working in practice

Agree with this, I was thinking the self same thing. Imagine the howls of protest from supporters if the decision, even correctly, went against their team and an ex pro was behind it. There'd be no end of conspiracy theories.

That said, Augie's right that the person viewing the screen needs to be qualified to do so. Plenty of retired refs around and we could even pay European refs like Collina to fly over each weekend....less reason for them to be partial. (Only just thought of that, so haven't considered any downsides).

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:51 am
goonersid wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:58 pm
I was a big advocate of var and still think it does have a part to play, however when a goal is disallowed after you’ve been jumping around celebrating (citeh v spuds) then it is a terrible feeling!
The celebration of a goal is an instantaneous reaction and to lose that total feeling of abandonment would rob football of it’s very soul!
It will be interesting to see how often we see a hairline var decision disallow goals next season.
Var is here to stay, we just need to have those who implement it to be fully competent.
And there's the problem. They often are not competent. They are human and make mistakes just like referees. Interpretation is a key component here. Deliberate hand ball for one person is accidental for another. But when a referee makes a mistake it's usually instant and the "moment" isn't lost as such, the celebration of a goal for example either happens or it doesn't. It's decided quickly and we move on at pace. You don't feel robbed of that moment of celebration.

But this new shit of waiting anywhere between 2 and 5 minutes for a decision that may still be the wrong decision will rob the game of those moments, deprive it of its spontaneity and turn it into a slightly less boring version of the slow stop start tedious horseshit that is rugby ffs.

The game will develop into a passing parade of anticlimaxes and inward gazing over-analysis where every single VAR mistake will be shown ad infinitum on SlySports rubbing salt into the wound worse than a mistaken refereeing decision does now because VAR should mean no more mistakes, even though it never will.

A very wise man once said "just because we have the technology doesn't mean we should necessarily use the technology". 8)
From back in June. I stand by every word.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:44 pm
wibble wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
Ernie71 wrote:
SteveO 35 wrote:

Agree with this, I was thinking the self same thing. Imagine the howls of protest from supporters if the decision, even correctly, went against their team and an ex pro was behind it. There'd be no end of conspiracy theories.

Yeah cos there aren't any conspiracy theories already surrounding it :lol:

It doesn't have to be ex PL pros and I know it's extreme and very unlikely but as long as we continue to use referees or retired referees you are never going to get away from their mindset which is the root of the problem. You need somebody in there who has a big stick so every time the ref is about to give a big toe as offside the guy with the stick gets to hit the ref and tell him to fu.ck off and try again. Refs have proven in a couple of months that they are the problem not VAR.

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:49 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
wibble wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:
Ernie71 wrote:

It doesn't have to be ex PL pros and I know it's extreme and very unlikely but as long as we continue to use referees or retired referees you are never going to get away from their mindset which is the root of the problem. You need somebody in there who has a big stick so every time the ref is about to give a big toe as offside the guy with the stick gets to hit the ref and tell him to fu.ck off and try again. Refs have proven in a couple of months that they are the problem not VAR.

:D I knew some smart Alec would say that and it had to be you didn't it Jock ?? :lol: :wink:

There's always going to be paranoia from football fans (some teams worse than others), if every single decision doesn't go their way, but I honestly think that ex pros would be far more open to accusations of bias than ex referees. There'd be a forensic analysis of every match they ever played against a team that they'd just made a VAR ruling against and any minor incident would be dragged up as the reason for perceived unfair bias.

At least we have a tradition of expecting referees to be unbiased and with some exceptions (there's the ol' paranoia), they appear to be. Inconsistent...perhaps, incompetent...at times, prone to undue influence (see Fergie)...for sure, but not overtly bent imo.

What we don't need, as Augie says, is faceless no marks making the big decisions and the ref simply accepting it. Why the ref can't just go to the screen, watch the replay as many times as he chooses and then make the decision, God knows ?

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:05 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
wibble wrote:
Jock Gooner wrote:

:D I knew some smart Alec would say that and it had to be you didn't it Jock ?? :lol: :wink:

There's always going to be paranoia from football fans (some teams worse than others), if every single decision doesn't go their way, but I honestly think that ex pros would be far more open to accusations of bias than ex referees. There'd be a forensic analysis of every match they ever played against a team that they'd just made a VAR ruling against and any minor incident would be dragged up as the reason for perceived unfair bias.

At least we have a tradition of expecting referees to be unbiased and with some exceptions (there's the ol' paranoia), they appear to be. Inconsistent...perhaps, incompetent...at times, prone to undue influence (see Fergie)...for sure, but not overtly bent imo.

What we don't need, as Augie says, is faceless no marks making the big decisions and the ref simply accepting it. Why the ref can't just go to the screen, watch the replay as many times as he chooses and then make the decision, God knows ?
:lol: :lol: Happy to oblige mate.

Tbh I'm not paranoid :shock: about the decisions anyway. I don't think the refs are bent either. My issue is the current laws / interpretation of them which so far the refs have made a complete pigs ear of. If the ref runs over to the monitor and a players big toe is offside then they are still going to have to give it as offside which is bu.llshit. This is what I want addressed and refs are incapable of operating in the way fans would generally wish to see.

There has to be a consistency towards handball decisions in the box too as we've seen a few iffy ones of late including the Alex-Arnold one yesterday and there was another one recently from a corner (can't remember who it was) where the defender had his arm above his head as he challenged for the ball and the ball ran from his wrist along his arm - not given. Also the little push on Sterling in the box yesterday which might have been soft (and it was Sterling) but the offending victim player immediately looked to the ref cos he knew he was guilty but Oliver gave nothing. The commentator trotted out the age old line that there wasn't enough in it to give a pen. How big a push do you have to give someone for it to matter :lol:

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Worryingly, I liked the boy Lineaker's idea that if a decision can't be made in 30 seconds then it can't be clear and obvious so the on field ruling should stand.

Clash

Post by Clash »

Some great recent posts - but not least DB10s resurrected post from back in June. Prescient indeed.

==================================

Maybe we should just accept what VAR was always intended for ... and let Simon Cowell take over the running of it. Then we can have those cocky fuckers Ant n Dec overseeing the key decisions that go to a public vote:

Game gets stopped and onto the pitch they come .... ‘’If you think it was handball and a penalty to Liverpool dial 0898 969696 ... or text ‘YES’ to 20 005 ... lines close in 5 minutes .... we’ll be back with the result after the break ’’

Cue on the return the dramatic pauses while we await the decision ... camera fixed on Klopp (oh he’d love that) ... camera on Alex Scott (likewise) ... camera on Dec pulling a smug face ... camera on faces in the Kop ... camera on the away fans ... back to Klopp ...

Verdict: ‘’PENALTY’’.

Yeah ... of course it fucking is :roll:

Penalty saved - game stopped - on they come again .... ‘’ if you think the penalty needs to be retaken dial 0898 .... ‘’

:banghead: :banghead:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:00 pm
Retro Gunner wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:05 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Retro Gunner wrote:
wibble wrote:

:lol: :lol: Happy to oblige mate.

Tbh I'm not paranoid :shock: about the decisions anyway. I don't think the refs are bent either. My issue is the current laws / interpretation of them which so far the refs have made a complete pigs ear of. If the ref runs over to the monitor and a players big toe is offside then they are still going to have to give it as offside which is bu.llshit. This is what I want addressed and refs are incapable of operating in the way fans would generally wish to see.

There has to be a consistency towards handball decisions in the box too as we've seen a few iffy ones of late including the Alex-Arnold one yesterday and there was another one recently from a corner (can't remember who it was) where the defender had his arm above his head as he challenged for the ball and the ball ran from his wrist along his arm - not given. Also the little push on Sterling in the box yesterday which might have been soft (and it was Sterling) but the offending victim player immediately looked to the ref cos he knew he was guilty but Oliver gave nothing. The commentator trotted out the age old line that there wasn't enough in it to give a pen. How big a push do you have to give someone for it to matter :lol:

Don't forget the Joseph Heller quote from Catch 22...."Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." :lol:

Trouble with VAR is that it's opened Pandora's Box......ok chaps, calm down, no smut please :lol: ......because now that the ref or the VAR goon can view the replays, they are duty bound to give the "big toe is offside" decision. If they don't, they know that the TV replays will look at it a million times and then tell us that the ref got it wrong, EVEN though he had the advantage of VAR. The ref's are now in a nasty position, damned if they do and damned if they don't. At least they could previously write mistakes off as "we only see it once in real time", so couldn't be judged too harshly.

All that said, it's currently a mess and needs sorting.

The handball where the player had his arm above his head at the corner was Deli Alli, clearly not given because he's a scum player....damn there's that paranoia again !! :lol: :wink:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Clash wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:12 pm
Some great recent posts - but not least DB10s resurrected post from back in June. Prescient indeed.

Maybe we should just accept what VAR was always intended for ... and let Simon Cowell take over the running of it. Then we can have those cocky fuckers Ant n Dec overseeing the key decisions that go to a public vote:

Game gets stopped and onto the pitch they come .... ‘’If you think it was handball and a penalty to Liverpool dial 0898 969696 ... or text ‘YES’ to 20 005 ... lines close in 5 minutes .... we’ll be back with the result after the break ’’

Cue on the return the dramatic pauses while we await the decision ... camera fixed on Klopp (oh he’d love that) ... camera on Alex Scott (likewise) ... camera on Dec pulling a smug face ... camera on faces in the Kop ... camera on the away fans ... back to Klopp ...

Penalty saved - game stopped - on they come again .... ‘’ if you think the penalty needs to be retaken dial 0898 .... ‘’

Creep.

8) :wink:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Haha :lol: I’ve also left an apple on his desk just to make sure 8) :D

Clash

Post by Clash »

This is typical. Absolutely typical … of the kind of ARSE I have to put up with from VAR.

They ponce in here expecting to be waited on and waited on, while I’m trying to watch football. Have they any idea of how much they have ruined this? Do they ever think of that? Of course not, they’re too busy sticking their noses into every corner, poking about for things to complain about, aren’t they?!

Well let me tell you something … this is EXACTLY how Nazi Germany started! A lot of layabouts with nothing better to do than to cause trouble. Well, I’ve had enough. I’ve had it. Come on, pack your cameras, pack your tape measures and GET OUT!

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Clash wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:12 pm

Christ I think you might just have described the PL in about 10 years time. Maybe less.

:suicide: