VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: VAR

Post by Nos89 »

Clash wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:55 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Christ, VAR and womens football combined........could you get a bigger clusterfuck :rubchin:

What on earth happens in the women's game that requires VAR :roll:
:lol: :lol:
Well, for a start imagine the slo-mo camera angles you could get on that system during a women's football match :D

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:

I believe they will use Reverse VAR for the women's version of "football"..... it will speed up the action.... :lol:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:47 am
Jock Gooner wrote:

I believe they will use Reverse VAR for the women's version of "football"..... it will speed up the action.... :lol:
:lol: Very good

wibble

Post by wibble »

Just seen that the same thing happened in Scotland women’s game with missed penalty being retaken. At least this one was saved so keeper could be seen to be gaining an advantage unlike the French player who didn’t hit the target so shouldn’t matter what the keeper did!

Couldn’t give a fuck in this scenario but it worries me that as well as now having to worry about var ruining celebrating a goal it will also ruin cheering penalty saves/misses.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

wibble wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:25 pm
Just seen that the same thing happened in Scotland women’s game with missed penalty being retaken. At least this one was saved so keeper could be seen to be gaining an advantage unlike the French player who didn’t hit the target so shouldn’t matter what the keeper did!

Couldn’t give a fuck in this scenario but it worries me that as well as now having to worry about var ruining celebrating a goal it will also ruin cheering penalty saves/misses.
We shouldn't be dismissing these decisions being made simply because its the women's game, they are FIFA officials making decisions that are setting a precedant for ALL FIFA officials, which means they will be coming to a mens game very soon. Got to admit the way VAR has been used in this world cup has changed my opinion of the use of VAR in football. It may well kill the game, the atmosphere at games and the authority and capability of the referees.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:06 am
wibble wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:25 pm

We shouldn't be dismissing these decisions being made simply because its the women's game, they are FIFA officials making decisions that are setting a precedant for ALL FIFA officials, which means they will be coming to a mens game very soon. Got to admit the way VAR has been used in this world cup has changed my opinion of the use of VAR in football. It may well kill the game, the atmosphere at games and the authority and capability of the referees.

They are setting a precedent and perhaps they are using the ladies WC to introduce the new penalty rule that the keeper must have one foot on the line when the kick is taken. This is a great introduction as it should improve conversion rates and as we fuck up more pens than our keepers save this works in our favour.

There are changes to walls at free kicks and where injured players have to leave the field too which also aren't the worst changes ever seen.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/footbal ... 1qbwdct06a

wibble

Post by wibble »

Seems like this won’t be the case in the league next season at least:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48703852

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

wibble wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:05 pm
Seems like this won’t be the case in the league next season at least:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48703852
You'd like to think that between a ref and a lino they could manage this without the need for VAR.....no doubt they'll disappoint us though :roll:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Here we go womens soccer and VAR :lol:

My missus was screaming at the telly watching the England fannies playing the Cameroon fannies so I'm watching the half time "highlights" and there has been elbows in the face, spitting incidents and a VAR incident. The Cameroonis threatened not to play on after an England goal initially wrongly disallowed for offside was correctly given by VAR (they got one right :lol: ). The Cameroon fannies don't seem to understand the rules.....what a joke. They are apparently playing the race card in the tunnel. Get ready for more from the FIFA = Football isn't for Africans brigade :lol:

It's just got better :lol: :lol:

Cameroon have just got a goal which correctly has been disallowed by VAR.....the number is 3 is in tears and so is the 5.....this is really funny :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:44 pm

My missus was screaming at the telly watching the England fannies playing the Cameroon fannies so I'm watching the half time "highlights" and there has been elbows in the face, spitting incidents and a VAR incident. The Cameroonis threatened not to play on after an England goal initially wrongly disallowed for offside was correctly given by VAR (they got one right :lol: ). The Cameroon fannies don't seem to understand the rules.....what a joke. They are apparently playing the race card in the tunnel. Get ready for more from the FIFA = Football isn't for Africans brigade :lol:

Cameroon have just got a goal which correctly has been disallowed by VAR.....the number is 3 is in tears and so is the 5.....this is really funny :lol:

Don't agree on that one - she looked level to me

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Technically keepers have always supposed to have one foot on the line.

But it’s been impossible for a Lino to see the kick and the keepers feet simultaneously until now.

The ref does have the option not to go to VAR but that Chinese chick like many of the female refs was shit scared not to use it.

Cameroon were ridiculously dangerous in tackling, shouldn’t have been in the tournament at all.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

augie wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:59 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:44 pm

Don't agree on that one - she looked level to me
Nah if Laca's goal against Stoke was disallowed for literally half a boot being offside then she was miles off

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Well done Collina for calling out the PL refs over using VAR to check keepers have one foot on the line for pens. Our lot want the refs to enforce that rule not VAR which is absolute bollox because the refs will fuck it up. This is a simple black or white decision so a quick VAR check which will prevent keepers taking the piss and hopefully will be used for encroachment into the box too.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... nalty-rule

Herd

Post by Herd »

VAR will make bad refs worse ,and good refs bad ,its going to fuck everything ,and they don't get it right even after seeing it on TV .
Its the end of football really it is ,I need another non toxic pastime !

Clash

Post by Clash »

Herd wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:44 am
VAR will make bad refs worse ,and good refs bad ,its going to fuck everything ,and they don't get it right even after seeing it on TV .
Its the end of football really it is ,I need another non toxic pastime !
Well put Herd

Football keeps changing and rarely for the better but so far we have sort of reluctantly adjusted to the changes. At some point though they are going to do something that take it too far and VAR might well be the thing.

There are still wrong or very dubious decisions being made even after tediously long delays. The game is not better off for taking a 3-4 minutes to prove someone was half an inch offside somewhere in the build up ffs