VAR

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
IW8Goalmachine

Re: VAR

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:20 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:21 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:32 pm
Still happier with VAR than without it, and mainly because we're finally seeing penalties given against the likes of the Spuds and the Mancs and everyone is on a level playing field

I use Auba's goal at OT last season as a perfect example as why it needs to stay - absolute blatant cheating by the officials when Maguire had played him about 3 yards onside and he still tried to flag it. Personally I think VAR should be used further to demote officials found to consistently make awful mistakes - review the whole 90 minutes afterwards, because the bias towards 2 or 3 clubs has been allowed to continue unchallenged for too long.

Was a pleasure seeing Maureen throw his toys out of the pram last week. We had those sort of pens given against us without fucking VAR - Chambers at West Brom being the most blatant example of cheating I've seen in years. No hiding place for the cheats now!
Where was VAR for mane's elbow and Arnold's stamp?
Not used in the League Cup till the semis. Proves my point - if it had been it could have been reviewed and send the dirty wanker off
That happened in the league match last Monday night

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:34 am
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:20 am
IW8Goalmachine wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:21 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:32 pm
Still happier with VAR than without it, and mainly because we're finally seeing penalties given against the likes of the Spuds and the Mancs and everyone is on a level playing field

I use Auba's goal at OT last season as a perfect example as why it needs to stay - absolute blatant cheating by the officials when Maguire had played him about 3 yards onside and he still tried to flag it. Personally I think VAR should be used further to demote officials found to consistently make awful mistakes - review the whole 90 minutes afterwards, because the bias towards 2 or 3 clubs has been allowed to continue unchallenged for too long.

Was a pleasure seeing Maureen throw his toys out of the pram last week. We had those sort of pens given against us without fucking VAR - Chambers at West Brom being the most blatant example of cheating I've seen in years. No hiding place for the cheats now!
Where was VAR for mane's elbow and Arnold's stamp?
Not used in the League Cup till the semis. Proves my point - if it had been it could have been reviewed and send the dirty wanker off
That happened in the league match last Monday night
My mistake - the mind plays tricks. It does of course need the officials to act upon it. I'd like to see the whole 90 minutes reviewed afterwards and those officials who performed badly, demoted to the Championship. There needs to be consequences for shit performances - even more so when VAR is available as there's no excuse for "not seeing it"

There will always be some interpretation issues but I do think we will see more of a level playing field with it

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Another PL weekend and another clear demonstration of just how shit and not fit for purpose VAR is. :roll:

Bin it ffs. Give us back proper football.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

More VAR nonsense. Fathead Maguire clearly cleaned out by not one but two toffees players in the box.

Decision: No penalty. :roll:

Replay showed two clear fouls.

I mean it's lovely to see the manc filth get cheated but ffs this VAR shite is worse than most refs for getting the decisions wrong! :shock: :roll:

Bin this nonsense. :censored:

herbert

Post by herbert »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:57 pm
More VAR nonsense. Fathead Maguire clearly cleaned out by not one but two toffees players in the box.

I mean it's lovely to see the manc filth get cheated but ffs this VAR shite is worse than most refs for getting the decisions wrong! :shock: :roll:

Bamford goal ruled offside because he pointed at where he wanted the ball and the part of his arm that you can score a goal with was offside :shock:

I am all for chalking off obvious errors but some of these decisions are anti football

lets give the game back to the c*nt in the middle and his two pals on the wings

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

herbert wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:06 pm
DB10GOONER wrote:

Bamford goal ruled offside because he pointed at where he wanted the ball and the part of his arm that you can score a goal with was offside :shock:

I am all for chalking off obvious errors but some of these decisions are anti football

lets give the game back to the c*nt in the middle and his two pals on the wings
Or instead, lets have a fourth official who is allowed to exercise his discretion in cases like this. VAR for me is not about someone's armpit being 2 mm offside - its about some blatant, cheating/incompetence being exposed. I cite Auba's goal up at OT last season as the most obvious example working in our favour. 3 yards onside and the cheat linesman (yep that's what I think - cheat) flags him up. Quick review, 30 seconds, 1-1 and justice done

Using VAR as it was done today for Bamford's 'goal' is wrong, but by equal measure scrapping VAR altogether is wrong. There is a happy medium where clear injustices, mistakes, and bent refs are highlighted

Clummo99

Post by Clummo99 »

My take on VAR is the statement of "clear and obvious error". If someone has to start drawing lines on a screen to decide if an attacker's armpit is in advance of the last defender's big toe then there's nothing "clear and obvious" that the referee made a mistake in allowing Bamford's goal. Maybe if they stopped this stupid line drawing (which has held the game up by a couple of minutes on occasion) and just instructed the VAR official to review with the naked eye, even allow him to rewind and freeze frame if necessary.

We could get even sillier and question the framerate on the video. If they want to be so pedantic they need to know exactly when the ball was played forward. Standard video is in 25 frames per second. If we're talking literally millimetres of a players body part being deemed offside then nailing down the fraction of a second that the ball was kicked becomes integral to making the correct decision.

It's all a load of bollox at the of the day. Yet another feature brought into our game from American sport and I wish it would just go away!

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

DB10GOONER wrote:

Whilst I agree they were blatant fouls on McGuire why is no-one mentioning that as he jumps into Pickford he blatantly shoves him in the chest preventing him catching the ball properly :rubchin: , it may be minimal contact but it is enough in my opinion to be deemed a foul which leads to the fouls on McGuire....

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

This fucking disgraceful corrupt game killing cheating fucking shit has got to go. How do we get rid of it? Who do we need to kill? :censored:

wibble

Post by wibble »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:00 pm
This fucking disgraceful corrupt game killing cheating fucking shit has got to go. How do we get rid of it? Who do we need to kill? :censored:
I’m pretty sure Xhaka created and is in charge of VAR :wink:

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 8:00 pm
I think with fans being back in that it’s days are numbered. It’s one thing all these shit decisions going on in empty stadiums but there will be a fucking riot with fans back in.

It’s universally despised and people won’t be shy in making their feelings known about it.

BobbyPires7

Post by BobbyPires7 »

VAR is simply corrupt. Not even debatable any more.

Herd

Post by Herd »

tonight was a classic example of just how corrupt the system is ,benteke elbows elneny in the face ,he should have been sent off. then he throws elneny to the floor b4 scoring ,what a joke

robbo10

Post by robbo10 »

Herd wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:37 pm
tonight was a classic example of just how corrupt the system is ,benteke elbows elneny in the face ,he should have been sent off. then he throws elneny to the floor b4 scoring ,what a joke
I’d love to hear an explanation of how that wasn’t a straight red,if you watched that in a caravan somewhere,with a bank of monitors and thought that it wasn’t violent or meant then something is plainly wrong,he’s raised his hands,which is a straight red in itself,and used his elbow into El Nenys throat,considering we’ve had players and seen players sent off for literally nothing this season it’s a joke.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal have lost more points than any other Premier League team due to VAR this season. Had the system not existed the Gunners would have come 4th this season.

[@kayakaynak97] #afc