The Arsenal captain 2019/20

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Blim

Re: The Arsenal captain 2019/20

Post by Blim »

northbank123 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:18 pm
Guendouzi doesn’t need the captaincy - would be madness. And whilst I like Sokratis’ policy of kicking the shit out of Harry Kane whenever he comes within 30 feet of him, he has been quite frightening this season and truth be told he might need to be put out to pasture before it ends.

Looking at guaranteed starters who have been here before this summer, you’re basically left with Leno, Bellerin, Lacazette or Aubameyang. He isn’t captaincy material by some stretch, but I would probably give it to Lacazette out of that lot.
Lacazette can be a bit of a hot head on times anyway Emery doesn't start him that often.

augie

Post by augie »

northbank123 wrote:
Guendouzi doesn’t need the captaincy - would be madness. And whilst I like Sokratis’ policy of kicking the shit out of Harry Kane whenever he comes within 30 feet of him, he has been quite frightening this season and truth be told he might need to be put out to pasture before it ends.

Looking at guaranteed starters who have been here before this summer, you’re basically left with Leno, Bellerin, Lacazette or Aubameyang. He isn’t captaincy material by some stretch, but I would probably give it to Lacazette out of that lot.

Most of you will know that while others have lauded auba, lacazette has always been the main man for me - that being said, this season the body language/signals he is emitting are very concerning for me, and I would not want him as captain unless I was 100% confident in his attitude. It's a generalization I know, but I have never really warmed to the character of most French sports people - when things are going well they are unstoppable, but when in crisis they seem to sulk or throw the dummy out of the pram, and generally bring a negative atmosphere to those around them. There are exceptions of course (PV4 would be my standout one), but for me there have been too many of the former.

No proof of that and it is just my opinion

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Oliver holt mentioned on here recently

So here's his most recent tweet

Sixty thousand people jeering one man and Xhaka's the villain? MoS column later on why the fans who have turned The Emirates into the most toxic stadium in the Premier League owe their captain an apology, not the other way round.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:58 pm
Oliver holt mentioned on here recently

So here's his most recent tweet

Sixty thousand people jeering one man and Xhaka's the villain? MoS column later on why the fans who have turned The Emirates into the most toxic stadium in the Premier League owe their captain an apology, not the other way round.

Talking of that cu.nt Holt, his piece in the Mail this morning is headlined

"Cruel, fickle and cowardly, Arsenal supporters booing their captain is betraying what it means to be a fan"

This jumped up little pri.ck hasn't got a clue about being a fan - what an arrogant twat.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

He constantly wanks over spurs and their manager except when they aren't doing so well.Then he turns his attention to us, he's a Stockport County fan who writes for the Daily Mail, which doesn't say a whole pile about his journalist credentials. Just another reporter who doesn't have to pay to gain entry to watch football.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Ffs now the Holt article is being discussed on the Sunday Supp and that cu.nt John Cross has just supported Holt 100%.

What on earth gives these wan.kers the right to comment on something which basically has fu.ck all to do with them. Cross couldn't wait to link the bowl fans with the shite on social media. Utter bollox.

If you want to get your blood boiling then have a watch of this sanctimonious bullsh.it :banghead:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:19 pm
Ffs now the Holt article is being discussed on the Sunday Supp and that cu.nt John Cross has just supported Holt 100%.

What on earth gives these wan.kers the right to comment on something which basically has fu.ck all to do with them. Cross couldn't wait to link the bowl fans with the shite on social media. Utter bollox.

If you want to get your blood boiling then have a watch of this sanctimonious bullsh.it :banghead:
Not been able to stomach watching it yet mate but I might watch it later.

100% agree with you though Jock. Unless they’re a paying fan, it has nothing to to do with them. How we react to some of the sub-standard shit our club has served up over the last decade is up to us.

It is the fact that we do pay and that the players get paid that entitles us to criticise them. They don’t automatically get to criticise us back because they are working for us.

Xhaka talked about reaching boiling point. Has anyone not considered that us fans are left to reach boiling point?

The Eboue incident was us reaching boiling point because Wenger didn’t address the situation before it got to that stage. It was the same with his own position as manager. it went way beyond what was reasonable because Arsenal do not deal with situations .... but then us fans are the ones criticised.

Arsenal continue to treat their own fans with contempt. They exploit us and mislead us and give us 2nd rate players and staff despite charging premium prices.

Would pricks like Holt tolerate a performance where actors on stage regularly forgot their lines or musicians kept playing out of tune? Of course not. If that did happen it would be absurd to criticise the audience if they express their dissatisfaction.

Arsenal are under some obligation to deliver a certain standard and they have fallen below that for so long that we almost expect it and accept it.

Having Xhaka as one of our players and then the captain is a fucking insult. He should be on his knees grovelling, not playing the victim. I despise him and these journalists.

Rugby Gooner

Post by Rugby Gooner »

Hello Chaps,
Haven't posted for a while because I have been having a torrid and steamy romance with a Natalie Sawyer lookalike!
Now at least have Rodders attention. :lol:
I am really fucked off with this Xhaka thing.
The relationship between the players and the media,with their ghost written columns and books,is now so incestuous that they will not brook any criticism of their performance or attitude on or off the pitch.
I totally condemn the disgusting social media abuse against Xhaka and his family,but in this age of fake profiles etc,how can people like Oliver Holt lay this at the feet of "Arsenal Fans?"
I also find the crap that "Arsenal Fans T.V." dish out a total embarrassment to us as supporters,and the club,and if Arsenal could find a way to stop them using the clubs name etc,and their property,(we have all seen them on the stairs up to the North Bank bridge),they should do so.They are making us a laughing stock among Football supporters.
However,the Snowflake thing is doing my head in.
When we lose,I have to take a week of shit/banter from workmates,but this is part of the game we love,because we know/hope that we will give it back.
One more thing,Mourhino should not be allowed anywhere near our club.
He,or his P.R. people are only using our club to keep his media profile solvent,fuck him!

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Have to say I’m not comfortable comparing Eboue with Xhaka!
The only similarity is that they were both shit footballers!
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I can’t recall Eboue ever displaying complete contempt for the fan who booed him or a lack of respect for the shirt or the club? Nor did he play the victim card!
I do however recall him crying after setting up a last minute winner for TH14 against the mancs!
Shit he may have been, but I do believe he appreciated that he played for The Arsenal!

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Clash wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:02 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:19 pm

Not been able to stomach watching it yet mate but I might watch it later.

100% agree with you though Jock. Unless they’re a paying fan, it has nothing to to do with them. How we react to some of the sub-standard shit our club has served up over the last decade is up to us.

It is the fact that we do pay and that the players get paid that entitles us to criticise them. They don’t automatically get to criticise us back because they are working for us.

Xhaka talked about reaching boiling point. Has anyone not considered that us fans are left to reach boiling point?

The Eboue incident was us reaching boiling point because Wenger didn’t address the situation before it got to that stage. It was the same with his own position as manager. it went way beyond what was reasonable because Arsenal do not deal with situations .... but then us fans are the ones criticised.

Arsenal continue to treat their own fans with contempt. They exploit us and mislead us and give us 2nd rate players and staff despite charging premium prices.

Would pricks like Holt tolerate a performance where actors on stage regularly forgot their lines or musicians kept playing out of tune? Of course not. If that did happen it would be absurd to criticise the audience if they express their dissatisfaction.

Arsenal are under some obligation to deliver a certain standard and they have fallen below that for so long that we almost expect it and accept it.

Having Xhaka as one of our players and then the captain is a fucking insult. He should be on his knees grovelling, not playing the victim. I despise him and these journalists.

You'll have to give it a watch Clash just to hear the complete sh.it that is spoken. You won't believe your own ears. They actually talk about the booing as abuse :shock: Yes the booing all by itself is abuse. As you say they never pause to consider how it got to that as they are so desperate to play to the PC snowflakey brigade. Thank christ xhaka isn't black or asian as the race card would be getting played too even though that is something we have never put up with at our place.

Jason Burt who is usually fairly sensible came out with the statement - and I kid ye not - that us fans only buy a ticket to a game and not the right to abuse somebody. It doesn't matter what level of crap the club serve up, we are expected to put up with that but how dare we respond by letting them know how we feel.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

goonersid wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:56 pm
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I can’t recall Eboue ever displaying complete contempt for the fan who booed him or a lack of respect for the shirt or the club? Nor did he play the victim card!
I do however recall him crying after setting up a last minute winner for TH14 against the mancs!
Shit he may have been, but I do believe he appreciated that he played for The Arsenal!
Absolutely right Sid. Eboue was visibly and genuinely upset that he got booed because he appreciated the fact that he was living a dream at Arsenal that was about to end. I don't remember him ever giving the fans any shit, and the boos he got were worse than this dollop

Compare that to the man who gives it the large on social media all the time, then is appalled by it, and waits 4 days for his advisors to come up with some half baked non-apology comparing what some wankstain said on Twitter to the 50000 odd paying his wages

He can go fuck himself for all I care

Clash

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:33 pm
goonersid wrote:
Absolutely right Sid. Eboue was visibly and genuinely upset that he got booed because he appreciated the fact that he was living a dream at Arsenal that was about to end. I don't remember him ever giving the fans any shit, and the boos he got were worse than this dollop

Compare that to the man who gives it the large on social media all the time, then is appalled by it, and waits 4 days for his advisors to come up with some half baked non-apology comparing what some wankstain said on Twitter to the 50000 odd paying his wages

Never seen you talk nonsense before SteveO but to claim Eboue ‘’appreciated he was living the dream that was about to end’’ is just that :lol:

You and Sid are right that Eboue didn’t give us fans any direct disrespect the way Xhaka did but he was a talentless little prick who brought shame on the club in a different way with his constant diving, feigning injury and other embarrassing antics like waving imaginary cards.

Most fans justifiably didn’t like him being part of our team and Wenger, the self-appointed moral guardian of football, did nothing to address this cheating little turd and totally ignored the whole thing.

I only made the comparison because both were situations where a festering problem was not dealt with early on and when the fans inevitably reached boiling point, they were the ones criticised instead of the people responsible for letting it get that far.

Also the Eboue moment was shown on TV the other day in relation to what happened with Xhaka ... the inference being that Arsenal fans have a history of booing their own players :roll:

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Clash wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:07 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:

Never seen you talk nonsense before SteveO but to claim Eboue ‘’appreciated he was living the dream that was about to end’’ is just that :lol:

You and Sid are right that Eboue didn’t give us fans any direct disrespect the way Xhaka did but he was a talentless little prick who brought shame on the club in a different way with his constant diving, feigning injury and other embarrassing antics like waving imaginary cards.

Most fans justifiably didn’t like him being part of our team and Wenger, the self-appointed moral guardian of football, did nothing to address this cheating little turd and totally ignored the whole thing.

I only made the comparison because both were situations where a festering problem was not dealt with early on and when the fans inevitably reached boiling point, they were the ones criticised instead of the people responsible for letting it get that far.

Also the Eboue moment was shown on TV the other day in relation to what happened with Xhaka ... the inference being that Arsenal fans have a history of booing their own players :roll:
I don't disagree with your comparison between the two mate - perhaps the mind plays tricks over time but I don't remember Eboue giving it the large one or try and blame the fans in the way this jumped up prick does. Always thought he was more of a humble, religious bloke.

You're absolutely right of course about his stupid play acting and other antics - I wasn't trying to forgive him for that

The difference I'm trying to highlight is rather than stick two fingers up to the fans and bite the hand that feeds him, he realised he was playing above his level and daren't bite back. The deluded Swiss prick on the other hand seems to think he has a divine right to be hero worshipped despite 100+ dog shit performances

Not sure what's nonsense about that?

Clash

Post by Clash »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:24 pm
Clash wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:07 pm
SteveO 35 wrote:
goonersid wrote:

I don't disagree with your comparison between the two mate - perhaps the mind plays tricks over time but I don't remember Eboue giving it the large one or try and blame the fans in the way this jumped up prick does. Always thought he was more of a humble, religious bloke.

You're absolutely right of course about his stupid play acting and other antics - I wasn't trying to forgive him for that

The difference I'm trying to highlight is rather than stick two fingers up to the fans and bite the hand that feeds him, he realised he was playing above his level and daren't bite back. The deluded Swiss prick on the other hand seems to think he has a divine right to be hero worshipped despite 100+ dog shit performances

Not sure what's nonsense about that?
I was just kidding about the nonsense thing mate :D

I do get what you’re saying and agree that Eboue didn’t play the victim at any stage, if anything some of our fans and Wenger were guilty of turning him into that, rather than Eboue himself. Although he did revel in his cult-hero status a bit too much for my liking.

Xhaka in comparison has been a disgrace. It wasn’t long ago he was talking about wanting to ‘’take the next step’’, as though we weren’t good enough for him. As you rightly say, a deluded prick.

LeftfootlegendGooner

Post by LeftfootlegendGooner »

augie wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:22 pm
northbank123 wrote:

Most of you will know that while others have lauded auba, lacazette has always been the main man for me - that being said, this season the body language/signals he is emitting are very concerning for me, and I would not want him as captain unless I was 100% confident in his attitude. It's a generalization I know, but I have never really warmed to the character of most French sports people - when things are going well they are unstoppable, but when in crisis they seem to sulk or throw the dummy out of the pram, and generally bring a negative atmosphere to those around them. There are exceptions of course (PV4 would be my standout one), but for me there have been too many of the former.

No proof of that and it is just my opinion
I agree with this, he's way too an unstable individual to captain a side, we need a player that regardless of how well he's playing himself can still lead the side, I also don't like forward players as captain.