The Arsenal captain 2019/20

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Nos89

Re: The Arsenal captain 2019/20

Post by Nos89 »

I really think that those who booed Xhaka off the pitch, and gave Auba some abuse whilst he was in his car have done the club a massive disservice. How will we attract better players when they can see how Pep, Auba and Xhaka get treated by their own supporters?

I've never understood booing your own players off the pitch no matter how shit they've been. I've witnessed some of our heaviest defeat the 8-2 and 6-1 at OT, and the 6-2 v Manure back at Highbury but I do not recall such a vicious, toxic response by the supporters. I'm more disappointed in those that booed him. Yes, he's not the right player to wear the armband, yes he's not been effective in an Arsenal shirt but even he didn't deserve that.

The club used to galvanise together with the supporters to create an "us v them" culture, but that was usually against the press and other teams supporters, not the team vs its own "supporters". No team never ever got better by being booed off the pitch by its own supporters especially at home. Hopefully, the travelling Gooners can pick the team up on Saturday as they need us behind them now more than ever.

augie

Post by augie »

Nos89 wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:42 am
I really think that those who booed Xhaka off the pitch, and gave Auba some abuse whilst he was in his car have done the club a massive disservice. How will we attract better players when they can see how Pep, Auba and Xhaka get treated by their own supporters?

I've never understood booing your own players off the pitch no matter how shit they've been. I've witnessed some of our heaviest defeat the 8-2 and 6-1 at OT, and the 6-2 v Manure back at Highbury but I do not recall such a vicious, toxic response by the supporters. I'm more disappointed in those that booed him. Yes, he's not the right player to wear the armband, yes he's not been effective in an Arsenal shirt but even he didn't deserve that.

The club used to galvanise together with the supporters to create an "us v them" culture, but that was usually against the press and other teams supporters, not the team vs its own "supporters". No team never ever got better by being booed off the pitch by its own supporters especially at home. Hopefully, the travelling Gooners can pick the team up on Saturday as they need us behind them now more than ever.

Ian Wright was and always will be more of a hero and star for AFC than those two combined would ever be - did that row with the fans (when he stuck his head out the dressing room window to argue with fans) have a detrimental affect on our ability to sign world class players ? Did it fcuk :roll: Players sign for 3 reasons -

1. Location - london ticks that box
2. Money - we tick that box
3. Winning - this is where we will continue to fall down until we get more demanding and ambitious owners

For me there is far too much finger pointing at the fans over the xhaka incident - the fans jeered him when it was announced that he was being subbed, and fans jeering their own players happens all over the country and the world. Those jeers turned to boo's when he started to give stick back to the fans and slow walk off the pitch when we needed a goal, so it wasnt as if the fans immediately starting booing him.

Btw, what pep is it you are referring to ? Is it the guy at citeeh ?? :? :?

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Well . Looks like we will never have the pleasure of watching Xhaka play for us again :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:
What a yellow livered cowardly bastard !

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

And to think only a couple of days.....all that angst....because the Sun said the Swiss dollop was going straight back into the squad for the Vitoria game

What a c.unt Emery is not doing something that the Sun said he had

Clash

Post by Clash »

Nos89 wrote:

You get booing at pantomimes so I struggle to call it vicious or toxic. Thats better suited to describe abuse or throwing missiles. Booing at football grounds is more often than not from frustration, which stems from a build up of different things.

Xhaka has got off lightly in my opinion. Watch that moronic lunge in the box against Spurs and ask yourself if a guy that does that doesn’t deserve much worse than booing. Especially when he has previous for giving away penalties and when he is a consistently fucking dreadful player too.

The Abamayang car thing was nothing much. In countries like Italy, players have had their cars set on fire.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:34 am
Nos89 wrote:

Ian Wright was and always will be more of a hero and star for AFC than those two combined would ever be - did that row with the fans (when he stuck his head out the dressing room window to argue with fans) have a detrimental affect on our ability to sign world class players ? Did it fcuk :roll: Players sign for 3 reasons -

3. Winning - this is where we will continue to fall down until we get more demanding and ambitious owners

For me there is far too much finger pointing at the fans over the xhaka incident - the fans jeered him when it was announced that he was being subbed, and fans jeering their own players happens all over the country and the world. Those jeers turned to boo's when he started to give stick back to the fans and slow walk off the pitch when we needed a goal, so it wasnt as if the fans immediately starting booing him.

Its meant to Pepe, missed an "e", much like i did in the '90's

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

augie wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:34 am
Nos89 wrote:

Its meant to Pepe, missed an "e", much like i did in the '90's

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

So, Captain Fantastic no more, has admitted that it was the reaction of the supporters inside the stadium that upset him enough to tell them to fvck off. Nothing mentioned about social media crap. Fvucking snowflake should have his contract terminated.
I wonder what his reaction would be to getting told that quite frankly he ain't good enough to play for The Arsenal Ladies team.
Probably have an early period. :shock:

Quotes from him.

“Yes, that's right. Some of my teammates came to see me and I thought that was great,” Xhaka said.
“They encouraged me to not let it get me down.
“And above all they pointed out how many Arsenal fans around the world didn’t like the way the fans reacted in the stadium and condemned it.”

When Xhaka’s number was called with 30 minutes remaining in the game, some Arsenal fans began to cheer ironically to Unai Emery’s decision to replace the Switerzland international, but this then changed to a chorus of boos as the player appeared to take his time to reach the sideline.

However, Xhaka insisted he was upset by the reaction from the supporters.

“When my shirt number lit up on the fourth official’s panel and our own fans broke into gleeful jubilation, that hit me very hard and really upset me,” he added. “It was very hurtful and frustrating. “I can’t understand a reaction like that even now, especially the vehemence of it and the extreme hostility directed against me.”

“You can be sure that I’ll keep fighting and putting myself out there in every training session,” Xhaka added.
“I feel that last week has been dealt with and I'm ready.”

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/footbal ... es-message

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Ornstein | Xhaka has not featured since the Palace game and in training ahead of the visit of Wolves on November 2, it is understood he was involved in a heated exchange with a team-mate.

Ornstein | Some within Arsenal's set up believe that Granit Xhaka has been thrown under the bus when his captaincy was stripped off. Some others believe since he did not apologize even in private to staff and colleagues, he has lost much of their respect.

https://t.co/xaFrr3OWlZ

Ornstein | A bizarre situation has developed in Aubameyang's time with the Gunners to leave some questioning his suitability for the role. The 30-year-old striker is said to have irritated some people by developing a relationship with AFTV

augie

Post by augie »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:37 am
Ornstein | Xhaka has not featured since the Palace game and in training ahead of the visit of Wolves on November 2, it is understood he was involved in a heated exchange with a team-mate.

Ornstein | Some within Arsenal's set up believe that Granit Xhaka has been thrown under the bus when his captaincy was stripped off. Some others believe since he did not apologize even in private to staff and colleagues, he has lost much of their respect.

https://t.co/xaFrr3OWlZ

Ornstein | A bizarre situation has developed in Aubameyang's time with the Gunners to leave some questioning his suitability for the role. The 30-year-old striker is said to have irritated some people by developing a relationship with AFTV

Basically we are a mess behind the scenes :roll:

Herd

Post by Herd »

I remember a New York Yankee player once saying he didn't get respect from the Owner and management ,the abrasive late great Mr Stenibrenner (owner) said I pay pay him 2 million a year ,that's a lot of respect !
Xhaka's played his last game I think and I'm glad ,he epitomizes everything that is wrong with Arsenal football club !
Problem is though is that his level is Bundesliga at best and that will attract a salary of only 50 k er week so Arsenal will have to foot the bill

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Sources close to #AFC dressing room say sacking Xhaka as captain and naming Aubameyang is seen as a fairly desperate move by Emery to try and establish a sense of authority, and credibility with the fans [@TransferPodcast]

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

Xhaka answering questions

“Yes, that's right. Some of my teammates came to see me and I thought that was great,” Xhaka said.

“And above all they pointed out how many Arsenal fans around the world didn’t like the way the fans reacted in the stadium and condemned it.”

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:05 am
Xhaka answering questions

Ah you've got to love him don't ya. Just make it up to suit your own version of events. If there was even the slightest bit of doubt in my mind it's gone now. This pri.ck should never wear the shirt again and I look forward to booing the cu.nt again if he ever returns.

I'm obviously concerned that my booing of the ex captain fantastic has upset our fans in Singapore, Vietnam, Australia, Hong Kong and wherever the fu.ck else we've managed to pick up some fans in the last few years. How rude of me to forget our global fanbase who so regularly trot along to the bowl to support the club. I exclude Highbury from the statement because most of them will never have heard of it :roll:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

From Switzerland: Xhaka will leave #AFC in January to join AC Milan despite his recent quotes where he commited his future to the Londoners. He already started house hunting in Milano.
https://t.co/N8yQvA9cHM