Newcastle Away

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
sk-gtfo

Re: Newcastle Away

Post by sk-gtfo »

Midz wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:54 pm
Delighted with the win even as already said it wasn't our best game.
Miki is just a *word censored*!
Don't think he'll play when Ozil is back and Pepe is up to speed, hopefully a long spell on the bench or in the reserves will convince him to bugger off in January.

I don't actually think he's as bad as some make out but certainly isn't worth £100k a week let alone £180k.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Better start than last season and already equalled last seasons number of clean sheets we kept in the league away from home. The team not the strongest but I like the fact Emery rewarded the players who performed well in pre-season with a starting place. To be honest nelson, willock and chambers didn't let him down. 1-0 to The Arsenal and 3points on the board.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Exactly, those kids fought for the shirt today.

And yes, maybe they weren’t perfect, but they bloody well did the best they could.

And they will get better.

Don’t forget- these are Freddie’s kids.

augie

Post by augie »

clockender1 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:19 am
Exactly, those kids fought for the shirt today.

And yes, maybe they weren’t perfect, but they bloody well did the best they could.

And they will get better.

Don’t forget- these are Freddie’s kids.

Decent starting point, but need to bring more to the table than just that - I have said throughout pre-season that nelson is not ready yet, but the problem is that he will need a decent amount of game time this season to help his development, and I'm not sure he is going to get that with us yet. Playing pepe on the right wing even though he is left footed might be ok depending on what are his main skill set, but for me a player like nelson is all about taking on a full back and sometimes whipping crosses in, but yesterday (cos he is right footed) he had to keep checking inside and it stifled him imo. We all want to see young players come through our academy set-up and into the first team, and we probably have more on the verge of doing that than in anytime since the season GG took over, but they have to be ready to be starters and imo they aint yet. Of course the problem is that pepe and Ceballos don't appear ready yet either - always hard in your first game in a new league, and is especially hard when you come off the bench cos by the time you catch up to the speed of the game, the full-time whistle is blown, but I felt neither brought anything positive yesterday.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

A good away win but we look ring rusty (oo-er missus :wink: ).

Most of our lot did ok. But Mickey Tarragon was appalling. Just constantly pissed away possession cheaply. He gets worse and worse. Oh and Xhakatard was his usual stupid innefective self.

With all the (rightful) concern over our defence we have mostly ignored a key area and problem in this team. I've said it for years: without Ozil we create very little or nothing from midfield and now as Ozil gets older he will create less and less.

We need a top quality number 10 and I cannot see anyone in this squad that is anywhere near that level. Going with fast wingers is not the solution as most of our players cannot cross and if we do develop or buy a fast winger that is a good crosser we don't have a striker that is any good with his head.

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:22 am
A good away win but we look ring rusty (oo-er missus :wink: ).

Most of our lot did ok. But Mickey Tarragon was appalling. Just constantly pissed away possession cheaply. He gets worse and worse. Oh and Xhakatard was his usual stupid innefective self.

With all the (rightful) concern over our defence we have mostly ignored a key area and problem in this team. I've said it for years: without Ozil we create very little or nothing from midfield and now as Ozil gets older he will create less and less.

We need a top quality number 10 and I cannot see anyone in this squad that is anywhere near that level. Going with fast wingers is not the solution as most of our players cannot cross and if we do develop or buy a fast winger that is a good crosser we don't have a striker that is any good with his head.

Short-term that Ceballos kid might be ideal for the position, but beyond that I do agree that it might be a problem position - Willock is def NOT a number 10 in my opinion, although maybe I am guilty of expecting really special talent is needed for that position after watching Arsenal's G.O.A.T time play there for years.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

good win - average performance

Eboue-Why?

Post by Eboue-Why? »

I wish someone would have a word with Auba about that somersault celebration. He’s gonna do himself an injury :roll:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:28 am
I wish someone would have a word with Auba about that somersault celebration. He’s gonna do himself an injury :roll:
I think a Portsmouth player did that once when he celebrated scoring against us with a back flip and then had to go off :barscarf:

Clash

Post by Clash »

Nos89 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:14 am
Better start than last season and already equalled last seasons number of clean sheets we kept in the league away from home. The team not the strongest but I like the fact Emery rewarded the players who performed well in pre-season with a starting place. To be honest nelson, willock and chambers didn't let him down. 1-0 to The Arsenal and 3points on the board.
Agree mate. The players letting the side down are the usual suspects. Looks like we're stuck with Xhaka but I hope that is the last we see of Mkhitaryan. I cant actually say he's getting worse because I'm not sure that's possible but he definitely ain't getting better. One good pass yesterday was his lone contribution and for a senior player that is disgraceful!

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

I shit myself when I saw that first team. Not at all what I expected. But then again we cant complain about complacent high earners drifting and then complain when they get dropped on mass.

I actually think we are vastly underrated and better than what others give us credit for., both in terms of quality and quantity. Emery is flying under the radar putting together a capable squad. I reckon 3rd is a real possibility.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

augie wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:17 pm
Personally I reckon you are under-valuing him - for me him and torreira should be the nailed on centre mid's with either Ceballos or Willock playing in front of them. I aint picking douzi in their just to get xhaka out of the team, because I absolutely believe that he is further developed and more ready to be a starter than Willock or nelson or Ceballos if I'm honest. I really, really like what is going on with the squad rebuild/redevopment since le cock was bombed out - young players like douzi, Willock, pepe, maitland-niles, Tierney etc can be the backbone of this club for many years to come, and it is kinda exciting to do almost a full reset from where we were 15 months ago
i concur.

what i see dozer as is a disruptor, he puts his foot in, harries and hassles players, like a less offensive to look at Robbie savage or Lee Bowyer. just his presence causes the opposition midfield to feel under pressure and give the ball away to him, willock or Ceballos, or Torreira. he may look a bit like a headless chicken at times and granted he could do with much more composure, especially going forward and laying the ball off, but that will come.

this time it seems a real redevelopment and less a project. the quality of Reiss, Chambers etc is undoubtedly there, they just need more confidence and familiarity with the speed of the PL.

plus this year, there is genuine competition for all the vital positions - look at CB - holding, chambers, kolasinac, and Luiz., competing for two spots.

Dick has now put his stamp on the team - and laid down markets - mustafi not even being on the bench on Sunday for example, iwobi being moved on etc.

i really don't mind us winning ugly away from home, as long as we occasionally turn it on at the bowl. pretty much what we did under George and when we had PV & Manu.

I'm still optimistic that we'll take third, and i'll believe that until Easter at least even if it gets a bit bumpy.

VCC !

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:22 am

Ashley won the ball in our own half, ran 50 yards with it and then delivered an inch perfect cross for auba.

i'm not sure what else we'd want ?

Pepe can play #10 and Ceballos too.

Maybe its Monday Morning Madness, but i see nothing but good things ahead for this squad.

tomorrow morning they will be buzzing in training.

compared to the chav kids who will be distraught. :twisted:

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

I thought it was absolute shit. I don't see how anyone can say anything more than "we got the win". Personally, I can't draw anything from that performance to make me feel positive or optimistic.

Couldn't believe the team selection.

Xhaka still at the Club, still the first choice centre mid and now Club captain ! The bloke is a complete incompetent and nothing makes me doubt Emery more than his belief in the oaf.

I don't think I've witnessed a worse performance from a Premiership side than that given by Newcastle. We need to bear that in mind, because we beat a pub team yesterday. If we pick that side and / or play like that against Burnley, we'll do well to nick a draw. Do it against Liverpool and it will be another embarrassment at Anfield.

Apologies for being so negative, but I thought the display was truly awful.

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Clash wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:47 am
Eboue-Why? wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:28 am
I think a Portsmouth player did that once when he celebrated scoring against us with a back flip and then had to go off :barscarf:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NdXGGmisY

That'll teach the cun.t to score against THE Arsenal. :lol: :lol: :lol: