AWAY to the Victims SAT AUGUST 24th 17:30pm

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
OneBardGooner

AWAY to the Victims SAT AUGUST 24th 17:30pm

Post by OneBardGooner »

Glad we got the 6 points from our first two games... this is one of the most difficult away games of the season, but the Victims aren't quite up to speed yet and defensively they have been less solid than the last 2 seasons. Their No 1 goalie is injured (at least I hope so) and his replacement looks prone to errors especially when put under pressure; which Laca and Auba are good at doing.

We have taken some serious beatings in our last few visits there, so I would happily take a draw.

Head says a loss :? :cry:

Heart says we play an absolute blinder and win by a late goal scored by Pepe! :barscarf: :barscarf: :barscarf:

#COYG

Redarmy

Re: AWAY to the Victims SAT AUGUST 24th 17:30pm

Post by Redarmy »

Looks a decent time to be playing them, a poor Southampton side should have had a draw against them

Our defence has to be fully focussed and playing as a unit, no give away goals and would like to see Torreira in the middle

That said sure we will put up a good show and more than capable of taking the draw...2-2

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Ceballos could be the difference in this game.

Dick will drop Willock for this and we might see ceballos, xhaka and torreira in the middle.

With laca and auba upfront and pepe starting, we are going to score.

I have a funny feeling that we will win 2-1 or 3-2 with a goal from Luiz or Xhaka.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

Big improvement needed performance wise from our first two games if we’re to avoid what’s fast becoming an annual dicking up there.

The kamikaze shit football playing out from the back that invariably sees us lose possession after 4 passes needs to to be binned for starters. That may work with better quality in our back four when Bellerin and Tierney are fit but trying it with the current players is insanity.

Think the reason Luiz got the nod over Chambers yesterday was to give him 90 minutes before this game as I’d expect to see us go 5 at the back with Sokrites, Chambers and Luiz all starting.

Would take a draw right now if offered it.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

Yeah, i think 5--3-2 is likley, with the backs bombing forward.

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

after the last few seasons there I have resigned myself to the defeat

Rian1

Post by Rian1 »

clockender1 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:20 pm
3-2 with a goal from Luiz or Xhaka.
With those feelings Bet365 would be an option to earn some dough. Odds would probably me 1/200

I just give up on this fixture since it's a rare occasion where we get anything. This year is more promising but if they put a gear up, they'll be all over us. 2-1 to them but I'll take a draw.

augie

Post by augie »

Redarmy wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:55 pm
Looks a decent time to be playing them, a poor Southampton side should have had a draw against them

Our defence has to be fully focussed and playing as a unit, no give away goals and would like to see Torreira in the middle

That said sure we will put up a good show and more than capable of taking the draw...2-2

We are far from setting the world alight at the mo, but then again neither are the victims - I watched the chavs (who are shit right now) give them an absolute runaround for most of the 90 minutes of super cup game (I didn't see extra time), so if people are quite happy to right us off given the overall poor performances of our first two games, then they need to be consistent and acknowledge that the victims have struggled at times too

Of course the reality is that we are on a horrendous run up there in recent seasons, and we are gonna need to show more guts and courage up there if things are going change

TeeCee

Post by TeeCee »

Can’t see anything but a defeat for us, with our ‘car crash’ of a defence....... :roll:

Midz

Post by Midz »

TeeCee wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:21 pm
Can’t see anything but a defeat for us, with our ‘car crash’ of a defence....... :roll:
agree but i still hope we win.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Isn't it about time that we went up to that cesspit and gave away a late equaliser? We haven't seemed to have done that for a couple of years now. Whatever happens, I'm sure it be the GREATEST ATMOSPHERE EVER in the ENTIRE HISTORY OF THE WORLD!!!!! :roll: :blah:

Might get a point, might not, might win, might not. Regardless of the result, trampy Shipman new teeth will be jumping around like an attention-seeking five-year old after couple of orangeade Panda Pops at the end of year school party. Fucking hell, I hate that club.

wilson2.0

Post by wilson2.0 »

5-3-2.

Let Luiz be the free man at the back which is his best position. We need a compact midfield, let the width come form the wingbacks, no need for wingers. Its inevitable Liverpool will create chances so we will need to create our own, play two upfront although both must close down.
I would play

------------------------Leno---------------------------

-------Sokratis------Luiz----Chambers----------

AMN------------------------------------------Monreal

-----Xhaka------Cellabos--------Torriera-------

----------------PEA-----------Lacazette---------------

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

My current victims away approach is quite simply please don't let them embarrass us again.

Whether we have the discipline to avoid overcommitting to attack and leaving the defence wide open, I'm not so sure.

Whether we have the will to drag our arses back when we need to defend worries me although tbf if he plays Torreirra and Ceballos then the two of them will put in a shift.

We all know what the victims are about - their front line is everything and needs to be controlled as best we can and we also need to try to stop their fullbacks getting forward. Their midfield is hardworking and functional and we can't give them the time to play into the front three.

If we can stay compact and play sensible football then we might just give ourselves a chance of nicking something from the game - a point would be an excellent result at this stage of the season. Whether we can get the balance right is anyone's guess just now. This will be an opportunity for Dick to show what he has learnt from the PL so far, I just hope he doesn't decide to go all '4 - 3' on us and put in the PAL front three to take them on :shock: :lol:

augie

Post by augie »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:59 am
My current victims away approach is quite simply please don't let them embarrass us again.

Whether we have the discipline to avoid overcommitting to attack and leaving the defence wide open, I'm not so sure.

Whether we have the will to drag our arses back when we need to defend worries me although tbf if he plays Torreirra and Ceballos then the two of them will put in a shift.

We all know what the victims are about - their front line is everything and needs to be controlled as best we can and we also need to try to stop their fullbacks getting forward. Their midfield is hardworking and functional and we can't give them the time to play into the front three.

If we can stay compact and play sensible football then we might just give ourselves a chance of nicking something from the game - a point would be an excellent result at this stage of the season. Whether we can get the balance right is anyone's guess just now. This will be an opportunity for Dick to show what he has learnt from the PL so far, I just hope he doesn't decide to go all '4 - 3' on us and put in the PAL front three to take them on :shock: :lol:

I get the thinking behind a 5-3-2 formation, but I would much rather go with a 4-3-3 formation for exactly that reason 8) For years we use to rightly slate the French cock for his refusal to adapt tactics (what tactics :lol: :lol: ) based on the opposition, and I agree that the obvious thought would be to go with a back 5 to combat their front 3, but I feel it might be a lot better tactically if we played auba and pepe on the wings to keep their full backs from going forward. The thought of either monreal or kolasniac being isolated on the wing against their full back is the stuff of nightmares for me.
I honestly believe that our midfield 3 is better than their midfield 3 IF we play like men and don't hide with their fans turn up the heat. If our midfield stand up to their opponents, then it leaves their defenders (particularly their full backs) as the sole suppliers to their front 3, and I think that the thought of leaving space behind for the speed of auba and pepe would be enough to keep their full backs pinned back. This system however, would absolutely be reliant on lacazette and auba being bang at it, and I don't think that has been the case in our opening 2 games - laca in particular looks off the pace, and his hold up and link play has to be better on saturday

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

top of the table clash 8)

they have a dodgy keeper
we have a dodgy entire defence

they have goalscorers
we have goalscorers

4-2 to the victims - hoping it will be closer though