Standard Liege (H) EL 03/10 @ 20:00

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
GTG

Re: Standard Liege (H) EL 03/10 @ 20:00

Post by GTG »

I don't see the trying too hard either.

To me he doesn't seem to know what to do with the ball when he gets it and thats really worrying for the money we paid.

I get that people take time to adapt to the pace of the league and settle in a new environment etc but even the slight flashes he showed in his early games are not there anymore.

When the chips are down like they currently are for him the very least you expect to see is some fight and he's not giving us that either really.

When I saw the lineup last night I was looking forward to seeing how AMN got on in the centre of midfield only to find that he was on the right wing. He may or may not have what it takes to be a proper Arsenal player but hold off on the boy until he gets a crack in his proper position. Even as a professional footballer it must drain on you being asked to constantly play where your not comfortable.

I thought Nelson actually did alright last night albeit against a pub side.

Martinelli looks a real gem though and surely must be close to getting a starting slot in league games.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

augie wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:15 am
I just don't see this "trying too hard" thing is coming from with pepe - for me he saunters around uninterested :?
totally agree.
he seems to be a combination of the worst aspects of Gervinho and Walcott.

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:47 am
augie wrote:
I just don't see this "trying too hard" thing is coming from with pepe - for me he saunters around uninterested :?
totally agree.
he seems to be a combination of the worst aspects of Gervinho and Walcott.
He just looks like he's a bit out of his depth. I don't see anything yet which would lead me to believe that he's got hidden talents which will come out when he's settled into the club and league. I saw something the other day about 'taking time to adjust to football in England.' What a load of bollocks, it's the same fucking game, with the same number of players and the same fucking rules. If you're a good player, you'll play well anywhere, it's just that it might be a bit harder in some leagues than others but if you're good, you won't be in the shit leagues for too long.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Oh ffs. How long you playing ball augie? 40+ years? "Trying too hard" means over thinking every little thing not pelting around the pitch like a headless chicken on speed.

He's at that stage where he is desperate and instead of relaxing and being natural he is tensed up and overthinking every touch.

I expect better from you ya bald bastard. :lol: :wink:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Of course Pepe may never adapt to the PL. Bigger names than him have failed in this league. Hopefully for Arsenal's sake he comes good. But we have to give him 2 seasons to see if he does.

Same with AMN and Nelson. I don't rate either at all at the moment but it's too early to completely write them off.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:31 am
Bellend.... I dunno.... first game back so gotta cut him some slack but he just seemed like the old Bellend that trots forward with the ball, won't put the afterburner on and take his man down the line, and then turns in or back and short passes the responsibility away. Jury still out I suppose....

that is what i was saying last nigh DB when i was comparing him to KT.

Bellerin has wengeritis or tippytappism.

despite i believe being the quickest in the squad...

even Reiss got to the bye line on the outside a couple of times.

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

augie wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:13 pm
A few days ago someone on here was suggesting that it might be a good idea to drop leno and play martinelli .
i think you mean Martinez. he was very good in the previous two games, particularly at releasing the ball quickly by hand putting us immediately on the counter at pace.

that was much less evident last night, maybe because Liege dropped off so deep. i did wince at that flapping on that cross/corner. we were very lucky that hit whizzed just over the bar.

my suggestion was that Martinez was suited more to away games than Leno. i stick by that despite the poor performance last night in parts.

Clash

Post by Clash »

A more enjoyable game than this would have been a couple of years ago.

I am really looking forward to seeing more of Tierney and of course Martinelli. Dont want to get too carried away but it finally looks like we might really have some youngsters to get excited about :barscarf:

Still disappointed with Pepe though. I've heard people say we shouldn't read too much into this result and performance as Liege were so bad but if that is the case, then it makes Pepe's poor contribution look even worse. We cant say he needs time to adjust to PL opponents when you're playing EL group games. Hopefully something will click with him soon though. He must be better than this even if he doesnt live up to his fee!

Blim

Post by Blim »

Couldn't watch the game but kept check on the news, great result well done lads keep it going, youngsters done us proud.

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

Am I right in thinking we will qualify for the knockout rounds as long as we don't lose 5-0 or worse on Thursday? I can't believe I'm worried that it could happen. :?

Almunia is a clown

Post by Almunia is a clown »

Standard Leige, will be looking for revenge for that 0-7 thrashing we gave them years ago! :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:56 pm
Standard Leige, will be looking for revenge for that 0-7 thrashing we gave them years ago! :barscarf:
The game that earned Eddie McGolderick the nickname "Snowy". :shock: :lol:

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Red Snapper wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:51 pm
Am I right in thinking we will qualify for the knockout rounds as long as we don't lose 5-0 or worse on Thursday? I can't believe I'm worried that it could happen. :?
We can lose this game and still qualify, but losing 5-0 will 100% knock us out

Red Snapper

Post by Red Snapper »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:51 pm
Red Snapper wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:51 pm
We can lose this game and still qualify, but losing 5-0 will 100% knock us out
Cheers but could you add "but that can't possibly happen" just to reassure me!

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

Almunia is a clown wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:56 pm
Hang on a minute, Arsenal never won 7-0 back in George Graham’s day......according to all sources they were boring and only ever won 1-0. :box: