The New Signings and Young Players Progress Thread

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
clockender1

Re: The Nicolas Pepe Progress Thread

Post by clockender1 »

Hes trying too hard - he needs to learn to beat one man then lay it off, rather than trying to beat three.

He showed some lovely skill to jink in between two players on the by line and get away From them and then he ran and ran into two more and lost the ball.

If he releases quicker and moves, then he would likely get the ball back in space when he can use his pace.

He'll come good. He just needs to settle.

DB10GOONER

Re: The New Signings and Young Players Progress Thread

Post by DB10GOONER »

Eboue-Why? wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:36 pm
Ok so even after just a handful of games he’s already causing concern for a lot of fans. £72m is a very large wad. In his defence he’s new to the league and we know that English footie is like no other. We have had lots of players who have needed a season to bed in. However at the moment his confidence is shot and his only contribution to games seems to be to cut in from the right and float an aimless ball over everyone and out for a goal kick. His work rate is suspect too.
On current form Saka and Martinelli should be considered before him but he’s undoubtedly skilled so how long do you persist with him?
I can't mod one of these for every player so I've amended the title. :wink:

Blim

Post by Blim »

All I can say is Pepe's eighth minute set-piece delivery proved to be the difference on the day between two dropped points and three gained for Arsenal, he still can't find the net but I am praying he does soon. Otherwise the Gervinho nickname is going to stick.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Anyone else see those photos of David Luiz visit to Rwanda? Wondering if he can bring back one of those mountain gorillas? that will sort out our defensive problems :barscarf:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

I'm beginning to think Pepe is too obsessed with scoring goals rather than assisting those around him. I think he needs to concentrate on being a team player and getting assists and from their chances will open up for him. Look at the way Laca and Auba compliment each other, yes they score good goals themselves but some of their good partnership comes from the unselfish way they create for each other at times.

For me Pepe needs to simplify things a little look for the little pass and move opportunities rather than trying to take everyone on. When this clicks for him I think then we'll start to get an idea of what he has in his locker. For him personally I think this move at such a high price has put a lot of pressure on his shoulders and the senior players around him along with the coaches need to help him realise the price tag has less meaning until he learns to be a team player we dont expect him to do everything himself :rubchin:

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

Nos89 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:19 pm
Anyone else see those photos of David Luiz visit to Rwanda? Wondering if he can bring back one of those mountain gorillas? that will sort out our defensive problems :barscarf:
Fu.ck it, see if the gorilla can bring 10 mates along with him.........assuming there's that many of them still left.