Palace (H) 27/10 @ 16:30

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
goonersid

Re: Palace (H) 27/10 @ 16:30

Post by goonersid »

One positive from the “ozil chants” is that it drives a wedge between Emery and a section of the fans, the more unwelcome he is made to feel can only be a good thing!

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:41 am
One positive from the “ozil chants” is that it drives a wedge between Emery and a section of the fans, the more unwelcome he is made to feel can only be a good thing!

And of course it tells a new manager coming in that he better play ozil if he wants the fans onside, plus it will send ozil a nice little reminder that strolling around every second week (sick the other weeks) doing sweet fcuk all is enough to justify your wages and love from large sections of the AFC fanbase :roll:

C.UNTS :evil: :evil: :censored: :censored: :censored: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

augie wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:46 am
goonersid wrote:

And of course it tells a new manager coming in that he better play ozil if he wants the fans onside, plus it will send ozil a nice little reminder that strolling around every second week (sick the other weeks) doing sweet fcuk all is enough to justify your wages and love from large sections of the AFC fanbase :roll:

C.UNTS :evil: :evil: :censored: :censored: :censored: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
Not sure about that Augie, if Emery was doing a decent job, then I don’t think there would be ozil chants, I think they’re down to frustration as much as any love for ozil

Ray C

Post by Ray C »

augie wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:46 pm
Firstly apologies for my previous post and the emoji's being so big - I posted it through my phone and had no idea it would come out like that :shock: :oops: :oops:

What I will say though, is that my comments about c.unts singing for ozil remain - fcuk off cos you are brainless knobs :censored:

I havent had time to go through all the previous posts so dont know if my views on this are shared, but fcuk me laca and auba were dogshite today - auba had one of his awol days when he doesnt give a flying fcuk, whilst laca's touch and movement were shocking :shock: How martinelli wasnt brought on for laca I do not know
You took the words right out of my mouth. They were both crap & that is not unusual. How Martinelli & Torrera didn't play sums up this selection policy. Also why bring on Saka & Kolasinac ?. Forget 4th we'll be lucky to finish in the top half of the table. We're no better than Palace. :barscarf: :barscarf:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

Emery is getting a few things wrong yes, but yesterday it was VAR that cost us the 3 points, simple as that.

1. unlucky to concede a penalty
2. the Sokratis goal is the single worst decision that I have ever known in football, for the simple reason that I STILL have no idea why the goal was ruled out.

augie

Post by augie »

goonersid wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:55 am
augie wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:46 am
goonersid wrote:

Not sure about that Augie, if Emery was doing a decent job, then I don’t think there would be ozil chants, I think they’re down to frustration as much as any love for ozil

That's exactly the point I am making, but ozil, the media and any potential future manager wont see it like that

General

Post by General »

goonersid wrote:
This is nonsense. There is no positive from this because ultimately it’s the club that pays the price.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

by the way apparently they have changed the way you enter the Emirates yesterday causing long queues .
what do you have to do now then ? do they make everyone sign something to agree that what they are about to watch will be utter shit ? :lol:

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

General wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:46 pm
We are a work in progress. People are seriously underestimating the challenges of clearing up the mess that built up over a decade under Wonga. Emery is not just lumbered with the task of making this team competitive, he has to modernise the entire coaching culture, integrate new players as well as embed those returning from injury. The services of some of these players he was denied for over half a season through major injuries. Those calling for Tierney to start might want to brood over the fact that he was down with cramp on Thursday in game that was no where near PL intensity. He’s played 2x90mins of football in 6months.

We lost momentum towards the end of last season through injuries, suspensions and a punishing fixture schedule. By the time we got to the final, we were playing a makeshift right back, A declining left back, Ramsey had pulled his hamstring, Mkhitaryan couldn’t travel, and the squad was on its last legs. Ozil also decided not to turn up and in the end it was Chelsea’s superior dynamism rather than quality that won the day.

If you were to evaluate the structure of this squad objectively you will see that even though we have a great attack, the midfield is quite defective and possibly one of the weakest in the top 6. This is not Emery’s fault. He’s forced to play Xhaka because there are no viable alternatives, although I think the decision to hand him the captaincy was shortsighted. Ceballos is lightweight, Torreira is fatigued and the rest need more experience. I’d imagine the midfield would be priority in January if not the summer because it’s undermining the team’s balance.

Emery’s remit is vastly different from Wenger’s. He is simply a coach who has been set a clear target to finish top 4. With 7months of the season left, the calls to sack him are premature and rather naive. This club is not going to throw £10-15m down the drain shifting Emery and his support staff with barely a third of the season gone. Look in our books, we don’t have that kind of money to spare. I fully expect him to be here until the end of the season. So save your emotion and get behind the team.
best post of the season.

as you say there is absolutely no chance that Emery will be sacked so get behind the team (well apart from the captain who I now refuse to ever support again)

clummo123

Post by clummo123 »

If there's even an ounce of truth in this then another precious snowflake that can do one imo. :roll:

281148204UPfW5ez.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Herd

Post by Herd »

Theres no doubt Wenger left us in the shit but to suggest that we are a work in progress is totally wrong because there is no progress and few signs of work.
The Club needed root and branch treatment in the close season but didn't manage it and now the whole tree is in danger of dying .
If you could see signs of a seed planted the fans would go with it and have patience ,If we could see him trying variations to get a better way we could see it out but the more I see of us we are becoming entrenched in a style of play that hasn't worked and will never work in the premiership .
His stubborn refusal to address the defensive issues or adapt makes me realise that he adds nothing to the club and should go now because things cannot get worse even if Goonersaurus took over as temporary manager . If anything our defense is worse now because of his insistence to play out from the back even when a trap is set .
Any manager that cannot see how shit Xhaka is doesn't deserve to manage our once great club ,I think even Ian Holloway could do better than Emery even if Emerys English is better .

We may have overindulged Wenger but we Owe Emery nothing ,there's no point in wasting another season or even another second with him ,
This season was a golden opportunity to place ourselves above our peers and we are blowing it in Wengeresque fashion !

nut flush gooner

Post by nut flush gooner »

Redarmy wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:16 am
at least Mark Clattenberg can see what happened...FFS is was an obvious dive

Referee Martin Atkinson was right to book the Palace man for simulation. He was in a perfect position to make the call, too. Calum Chambers' leg was planted and Zaha threw himself to the ground. Atkinson spotted his ploy and produced a yellow card.

Fucking Zaha cheated and yes hes good at it......still a *word censored*

As for sokratis winner, absolutely nothing wrong with it....who can explain why is not allowed???
Whilst Zaha made a meal out of it, it was a cast iron penalty for Palace. We were 20 yards away in the North Lower, and every Gooner to a man said it was a pen real time. When Atkinson gave us a free-kick and booked Zaha it was just met with howls of laughter. OFC, VAR was always going to award a pen unless its a penalty to Arsenal it would seem. VAR doesn't even itself out over a season like poor refereeing decisions it would appear.

VAR has now cost us 7 points from my reckoning by dodgy decisions.

What I don't get is how 10,000 Gooners could see it was a clear pen, how couldn't Atkinson?

Retro Gunner

Post by Retro Gunner »

Herd wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:23 am
Theres no doubt Wenger left us in the shit but to suggest that we are a work in progress is totally wrong because there is no progress and few signs of work.
The Club needed root and branch treatment in the close season but didn't manage it and now the whole tree is in danger of dying .
If you could see signs of a seed planted the fans would go with it and have patience ,If we could see him trying variations to get a better way we could see it out but the more I see of us we are becoming entrenched in a style of play that hasn't worked and will never work in the premiership .
His stubborn refusal to address the defensive issues or adapt makes me realise that he adds nothing to the club and should go now because things cannot get worse even if Goonersaurus took over as temporary manager . If anything our defense is worse now because of his insistence to play out from the back even when a trap is set .
Any manager that cannot see how shit Xhaka is doesn't deserve to manage our once great club ,I think even Ian Holloway could do better than Emery even if Emerys English is better .

We may have overindulged Wenger but we Owe Emery nothing ,there's no point in wasting another season or even another second with him ,
This season was a golden opportunity to place ourselves above our peers and we are blowing it in Wengeresque fashion !

This is bang on. Exactly as I see it. The post about being a “work in progress” is from General, who I know and who’s opinion I respect. However G, you’ve got this one wrong. You were as fervently anti Wenger as anyone, but I can’t help wondering whether the judgement of you and others, concerning Emery, is clouded by a desperation to see Wenger’s successor succeed.

Wenger’s gone and despite his cultists hoping Dick fails, the rest of us must move on. Forget the French clown, he’s gone and judge the new manager on his own merits. I’m afraid he’s coming up well short.

As Herd says, we all know he inherited a pile of crap and I didn’t expect a league position any higher than we achieved last season (although our end of season collapse was inexcusable) nor would I have expected a higher position than we’re currently in, but there’s much more too it than that.

The very results we’ve had, I could well have tolerated, if I could see a plan, a structure and a sense of progression that gave me optimism for the future. I see none of that. I see stubbornness, confusion, chaos and absolutely no progress on the weaknesses we’ve been seeing for years. In fact, we’ve been regressing since last Spring.

As for Xhaka, I’ve heard all the lame excuses before. Regardless of injuries and availability of other midfielders, Xhaka has been the one constant and clearly the first midfield name on the team sheet since the beginning of last season. There is no greater indictment of Emery than his belief in this totally inept footballer. We might as well take to the pitch with 10 players...in fact, that would be preferable, given the dangerous liability that he is on the pitch. There can be no excuse for picking the bloke, I’d rather see a youth team player in there.

Emery is not the answer and that’s now clear.

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

For me the Ozil chant was more of an anti Emery sentiment than a pro Ozil one for the most part.

Fans are just looking for any opportunity to vent at a manager completely out of his depth and will now take every opportunity to do so.

Emery is a dead man walking, it’s just a matter of when now. Wolves and Leicester up next, I don’t see him here beyond that.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

General wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:31 am
Jock Gooner wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:42 am
General wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:46 pm

We lost momentum towards the end of last season through injuries, suspensions and a punishing fixture schedule. By the time we got to the final, we were playing a makeshift right back, A declining left back, Ramsey had pulled his hamstring, Mkhitaryan couldn’t travel, and the squad was on its last legs. Ozil also decided not to turn up and in the end it was Chelsea’s superior dynamism rather than quality that won the day.
Dick made the wrong call in chasing after the mickey mouse cup instead of going all out to secure a top 4 finish in the league. We ended up going tits up against Everton, Palace, Wolves and Leicester and then drew with Brighton at home. With wiggy's wallet firmly in his pocket we badly needed to grab the cash that the CL brings not concentrate on the second rate ropey cup which is worthless in monetary terms. I would have a degree of respect for Dick if he had achieved top 4 and he would have made his own position more secure. Now after failing top 4 and getting humped by the chavs he just looks like he doesn't know what he's doing which is probably nearer the truth.
We punched above our weight and most fans never thought we could realistically make top 4 at the start of last season. We came close thanks to our early season form and ultimately run out of steam thanks to injuries, suspensions and a punishing fixture schedule.

What we have now is a good team that is undermined by the weakest midfield in the top 6. Fail to rectify this in January and we can can kiss goodbye to any chances of making the top 4.

Punched above our weight / early season form - as I have said on here before there was no "form" during the run at the beginning of last season just plenty of dog shite football and some fortunate results. We ran out of steam, yes and as I said that is where Dick made the wrong call as he went all in for the ropey - mistake.

Do we have a good team.....well we have some good forwards but how can the team be that good when undermined by a lousy midfield and when we still have a suspect defence too. Unless you know something about wiggy planning to get the cheque book out in January then I think we can kiss goodbye to any chance of top 4 this season looking at our current form.