Chambers in midfield ??

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Retro Gunner

Re: Chambers in midfield ??

Post by Retro Gunner »

augie wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:51 pm
northbank123 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:58 am
Torreira is the best option there, but has gone backwards since his excellent form of the first few months.

When I watch him I can’t help but to feel that the bloke just isn’t as fit or as sharp as he could be or as he needs to be.

It truly is a mystery how and why torreira seems to have dropped down the pecking order for the team, and no longer seems to be viewed as a CDM :? He is another big reason why I want emery gone asap - I am still holding out a tiny bit of hope that a new manager will recognise his worth and return him to the team in his proper position, cos he is one of the few players I really do not want to lose

Agreed.

Midz

Post by Midz »

The reason Torriera has dropped down the pecking order or doesn't seem as fit as he could be is because he never gets the chance to play!

FFS, let Freddie have a go.

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Emery doesn't see Torreira as a powerhouse defensive midfielder . He wants a Vieira lookalike , a six foot plus person to protect the back line. I don't think that he feels he is imposing enough. Xhaka is 6 foot and so is Chambers , Luiz is 6 foot 2 " so perhaps is more to his liking . He has options but really the Uruguayan is the most mobile .
Anyhow it might be someone else's problem in the near future , or maybe not.

clummo123

Post by clummo123 »

Seems to me that a lot of people are over thinking the Torreira situation.

He was bought for Emery, not by Emery. I think it's just a simple fact that Dick doesn't rate him as highly as he does some other players.

StuartL
Location: It’s a new dawn, a new day a new life, for me and I’m feeling good

Post by StuartL »

A11M11 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:31 pm
Emery doesn't see Torreira as a powerhouse defensive midfielder . He wants a Vieira lookalike , a six foot plus person to protect the back line. I don't think that he feels he is imposing enough. Xhaka is 6 foot and so is Chambers , Luiz is 6 foot 2 " so perhaps is more to his liking . He has options but really the Uruguayan is the most mobile .
Anyhow it might be someone else's problem in the near future , or maybe not.
He is more of a terrier than the defensive powerhouse.

We haven’t actually controlled the midfield in many matches since Fàbregas / Rosicky / Nasri

Most goalkicks / 2nd balls are largely uncontested when they drop into midfield - Guendouzi tries hard, but cannot do it all at this stage.