Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Who would you like to see as next manager

Poll ended at Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:04 pm

Arteta
No votes
Allegri
50%
Bergkamp
3%
Enrique
No votes
Freddie
3%
Mourinho
9%
Vieira
12%
Rodgers
15%
Santo
3%
Ten Hag
6%

Total votes: 34

OneBardGooner

Re: Who would you like to see as next manager POLL

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:08 am
I'm pretty sure Allegri has stated he deffo won't be available until May as he is learning English and wants to start his next job fresh in preseason and not having inherited someone else's shit storm mid season. Personally I'd wait for him.
I agree, but is Allegri the kind of manager who'd be willing to manage in the Championship? :D :wink: :wink:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:46 am
The Mail say Arsenal’s hunt for a new manager is being hindered by a limited budget that is proving off-putting to many of the leading contenders. Emery was paid £4m-a-year... a salary #Arsenal are willing to improve, but not to the level demanded by the European elite.
<sigh> I remember the days when it was our manager who used to do the old Last Minute Shopping Trolley Dash for players...

Now the board have adopted the same approach for our manager.

:suicide:

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

Gunner Rob wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:52 am
what you have to think about is the mindset of the people in charge at the club.

1. they did not want to sack Emery because of the pay off - if he had scraped a win against Southampton he would probably still be here

2. one of the reasons they sacked Emery was because in Ljungberg they had a cheap replacement in place who ideally could keep the club going until the summer

3. if Freddie flops then they will need to find a cheap alternative because Kroenke won't pay for a top manager, as the club are not trying to compete for the league title anymore - they just make out they are to keep the gullible season ticket holders happy
ALL True. :( :( :(

I'm going over to the enlightened side to join Sid.

Clash

Post by Clash »

mcdowell42 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:44 pm
Latest odds on our next permanent manager with Paddy Power

Arteta 11/4

Freddie 3/1

Marcelino 7/2

Allegri 5/1

Rodgers 10/1

Howe 14/1

Pochettino 14/1

Others 20/1 or more
I hope Paddy Power dont know any more than we do because the top 3 names on that list are beyond depressing.

Arteta and Freddie would be a ridiculous choice and I really dont think I could handle an appointment like Marcelino. But worryingly I think he is exactly the sort of underwhelming low impact manager the club, or this Raul bloke in particular, would choose :banghead:

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Marcelino seems to be rising in the bookies odds and is being reported by various outlets as having been contacted by the club (mainly online), i have no idea what this guy is like but it definitely indicates a lack of desire by the club in my view :rubchin:

Can anyone say much about him?

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Freddie and Arteta joint favs 5/2

Paddy Power

IW8Goalmachine

Post by IW8Goalmachine »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:07 pm
Marcelino seems to be rising in the bookies odds and is being reported by various outlets as having been contacted by the club (mainly online), i have no idea what this guy is like but it definitely indicates a lack of desire by the club in my view :rubchin:

Let it happen because it will only damage their pockets in the future

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

The fact that the favourites are as long as 11/4 shows that the bookies don’t have much of a clue where we are going to go.

Echo the sentiment about waiting for Allegri if needed. Beats the alternative of giving it to some managerial no-mark like Arteta or Ljungberg.

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:

Just know he has done Emery type work with Valencia but with less cups to show for it. If you want a Spanish top six finish manager then he's your man but let's hope that he doesn't find his way to us because a la Dick he'd be out of his depth.

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:07 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Just know he has done Emery type work with Valencia but with less cups to show for it. If you want a Spanish top six finish manager then he's your man but let's hope that he doesn't find his way to us because a la Dick he'd be out of his depth.
This is my problem with most of those being touted, not many of them have PL experience and those who have have hardly set the league alight putting it mildly. Any one of them is a shot in the dark even Allegri although he is my preferred option, even Simeone has only really done mediocre at his current club

augie

Post by augie »

Despite the constant rumours saying that allegri is not returning to work until next summer, he still remains as joint favourite to get the job according to the bookies - I'd lov to believe that they have some inside knowledge but I doubt it will happen.

Seems there is a small movement in support for my second favourite option

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... w-manager/

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:23 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

This is my problem with most of those being touted, not many of them have PL experience and those who have have hardly set the league alight putting it mildly. Any one of them is a shot in the dark even Allegri although he is my preferred option, even Simeone has only really done mediocre at his current club
Absolutely, Allegri with our current squad and no serious financial backing is just as likely to be found wanting as to be able to sort things out. I think that there is a general overestimation of the ability of our current squad and that any manager worth their salt is still going to struggle to kick start things again. Too many mentally weak individuals, an overwhelming lack of discipline as well as a lack of balance to the team mean that the next guy has an uphill battle ahead of him.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Jock Gooner wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:00 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:23 pm
Jock Gooner wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:

Absolutely, Allegri with our current squad and no serious financial backing is just as likely to be found wanting as to be able to sort things out. I think that there is a general overestimation of the ability of our current squad and that any manager worth their salt is still going to struggle to kick start things again. Too many mentally weak individuals, an overwhelming lack of discipline as well as a lack of balance to the team mean that the next guy has an uphill battle ahead of him.
Agreed with all of that but I'd hope that Allegri for example would install a simple but effective system to get the best from these idiots while slowly phasing out the shit and replacing them with better players within the financial constraints. It'll be a slow rebuild. But at least we wouldn't have our defenders and keeper trying to pass out from our own box - simple things like that which Dick refused to address properly should be addressed by Allegri.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

augie wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:41 am
DB10GOONER wrote:
I'm pretty sure Allegri has stated he deffo won't be available until May as he is learning English and wants to start his next job fresh in preseason and not having inherited someone else's shit storm mid season. Personally I'd wait for him.

And leave Freddie in charge until then ? Even after his team selection last Sunday ?? :shock: :shock:

A new manager is "allowed" a mistake or 2 in his first match in charge, but to make so many obvious stupid decisions in one game, makes me question if he is fit to manage a kids team. Horrendous team selection and tactics
Is Freddie any worse than Dick? Maybe. Maybe not tbh. But I would not exclude Allegri just to stick someone in there now in a panic. I'd wait for Allegri.

Anyway Freddie might have Wenger to advise him so what could go wrong....? :lol: :wink:

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:33 pm
augie wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:41 am
DB10GOONER wrote:

And leave Freddie in charge until then ? Even after his team selection last Sunday ?? :shock: :shock:

A new manager is "allowed" a mistake or 2 in his first match in charge, but to make so many obvious stupid decisions in one game, makes me question if he is fit to manage a kids team. Horrendous team selection and tactics
Is Freddie any worse than Dick? Maybe. Maybe not tbh. But I would not exclude Allegri just to stick someone in there now in a panic. I'd wait for Allegri.

Anyway Freddie might have Wenger to advise him so what could go wrong....? :lol: :wink:

As a club and as a fanbase, I believe we need to stop selling ourselves short and behave like a proper big club - if allegri is genuinely interested in managing us, then he should agree to take over NOW. He has had 7 effing months off at this stage, and surely if being manager of AFC is important enough there would be no issue regarding another half season sabbatical cos he would be racing to get in ?
What happens if we wait until the summer but by then another (bigger) job offer comes his way ? How stupid would we look if we wait for 6 months to get the manager we want, only for him to then snub our club in favour of a different offer ? We are a big club and managers should want to get into the position asap