G'day Freddie. Manager of The Arsenal

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
augie

Re: G'day Freddie. Manager of The Arsenal

Post by augie »

OneBardGooner wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:59 am
Fuuuucccckk I've just seen our schedule up to and including January 1st:

5th Dec: Arsenal (20:15) Brighton & Hove Albion

9th Dec: West Ham United (20:00) Arsenal

15th Dec: Arsenal(16:30) Manchester City

21st Dec: Everton (12:30) Arsenal

26th Dec: AFC Bournemouth (15:00)Arsenal

29th Dec: Arsenal (14:00)Chelsea

1st Jan: Arsenal (20:00) Manchester United

:? Happy feckin' Crimbo. :?

And being realistic, citeeh (obviously) and maybe everton and Bournemouth (our wimpy fcukers don't like small pitches with the ensuing physical battles :roll: ), are the only games that would worry me. The shammers are deep in the brown stuff with their manager clinging on for his job, manure are absolute dogshit, and the chavs are the most over-hyped team I can remember for a long time.
Again I ask the question, with the exception of citeeh have any of those teams got a more talented squad than ours ? To me our squad is far more talented than all of those other clubs, so I would say that IF we put a good manager in place to organize the team and motivate them, then I will go into those games confident of a nice collection of points.
Of course on the flipside, if we appoint an average or rookie manager who is still learning his job, then our points return could be poor indeed

Clash

Post by Clash »

augie wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:10 am
OneBardGooner wrote:

And being realistic, citeeh (obviously) and maybe everton and Bournemouth (our wimpy fcukers don't like small pitches with the ensuing physical battles :roll: ), are the only games that would worry me. The shammers are deep in the brown stuff with their manager clinging on for his job, manure are absolute dogshit, and the chavs are the most over-hyped team I can remember for a long time.
Again I ask the question, with the exception of citeeh have any of those teams got a more talented squad than ours ? To me our squad is far more talented than all of those other clubs, so I would say that IF we put a good manager in place to organize the team and motivate them, then I will go into those games confident of a nice collection of points.
Of course on the flipside, if we appoint an average or rookie manager who is still learning his job, then our points return could be poor indeed
When you say talented, are you just talking about ability on the ball? If so I agree we have some talented players but I have doubt that there is anyone who can make a great team out of them. Too many of our squad are mentally weak and I do not think any new manager can fix that.

Maybe there are some managers that can improve areas of our game but at some point we are gonna need to bring in the type of players who can motivate themselves and their teammates. And if that means less of the talent then so be it.

augie

Post by augie »

Clash wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:29 am
augie wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:10 am
OneBardGooner wrote:

When you say talented, are you just talking about ability on the ball? If so I agree we have some talented players but I have doubt that there is anyone who can make a great team out of them. Too many of our squad are mentally weak and I do not think any new manager can fix that.

Maybe there are some managers that can improve areas of our game but at some point we are gonna need to bring in the type of players who can motivate themselves and their teammates. And if that means less of the talent then so be it.

I look at our team and believe that there are two things continually letting this team (and us) down - one is heart and the second is organization. I believe that IF we appoint a good manager he will certainly fix the second problem, and I believe that a good manager has the respect of his players and would be more responsive to him if they see that they know what he is doing.
IF however we appoint either a rookie manager or an average manager, then the lack of a working system will still be evident, and we will continue to see players just going through the motions - in other words we will see no change

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

OneBardGooner wrote:

We've been banging on about that for weeks mate. It was the run that was going to put paid to Dick.....before Frankfurt did for him :lol:

I guess now it's the run that will make or break Freddie....I would hazard the latter.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Gotta say if the Board are considering Arteta for the role of manager/ coach I'd prefer them to stick with Freddie. To me there is no difference in their credentials, Only that Freddie played in the most successful team we've had this century. Not only played but was an integral part of the team. That makes him more qualified than Arteta to manage The Arsenal. For all we know Arteta is the next Brian Kidd. After all the last midfielder that played in an Arsenal double winning team we hired as a manager didn't turn out too bad. Wasn't it George Graham's birthday on the same day Freddie was appointed?

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Nos89 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:02 pm
Gotta say if the Board are considering Arteta for the role of manager/ coach I'd prefer them to stick with Freddie. To me there is no difference in their credentials, Only that Freddie played in the most successful team we've had this century. Not only played but was an integral part of the team. That makes him more qualified than Arteta to manage The Arsenal. For all we know Arteta is the next Brian Kidd. After all the last midfielder that played in an Arsenal double winning team we hired as a manager didn't turn out too bad. Wasn't it George Graham's birthday on the same day Freddie was appointed?
The best players seldom make the best managers mate. Freddie could be the next Liam Brady or John Barnes......

OneBardGooner

Post by OneBardGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:39 pm
Nos89 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:02 pm
The best players seldom make the best managers mate. Freddie could be the next Liam Brady or John Barnes......

Yeah! Orrrr even the next Freddie Ljungberg! :shock:

:D :wink:

clockender1

Post by clockender1 »

i like this, a lot :
Arsenal were often criticised for their slow, pedestrian build-up play under Emery, but the Spaniard’s successor is looking to bring quicker, more incisive passing to the team and that was evident in his drills and instructions.

In a two-touch exercise, Konstantinos Mavropanos got an excitable reaction from his manager when he took four players out of the game with a defence-splitting diagonal pass.

‘Yes! That’s the pass I like,’ yelled a delighted Ljungberg, who got the players together to explain his ideology further. ‘The pass, when Lucas [Torreira] is here and we find the diag [diagonal pass], is amazing. No team can defend against that diag into the pocket.’

There was clear emphasis on Arsenal playing out through pressure and finding pockets of space, with Ljungberg demanding intensity throughout the session.

He also pulled up youngster Gabriel Martinelli for taking too many touches in the drill and explained the best way to avoid pressure from the opposition: ‘If you stand closed, you have to take two touches. We try to work on. Give me the ball, I’m open, then you don’t get done on your press.’
Freddie was very much a quick pass and move kind of bloke - very different to the Fabregas or Wilshire mould of midfielder.

the fact that he's giving this kind of very specific, very detailed hands on coaching to the players gives me a bit of hope for him.

of course, the usual suspects are likely uncoachable in the defensive/ball retention aspects, but if he can get us playing like the above back to front, then we already start to look a lot better and more threatening, and less likely to be on the back foot so much during games.

i'm still not convinced that Freddie is our solution, but i'd be interested to see him in this role for a few weeks.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

clockender1 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:59 pm
i like this, a lot :
Arsenal were often criticised for their slow, pedestrian build-up play under Emery, but the Spaniard’s successor is looking to bring quicker, more incisive passing to the team and that was evident in his drills and instructions.

In a two-touch exercise, Konstantinos Mavropanos got an excitable reaction from his manager when he took four players out of the game with a defence-splitting diagonal pass.

‘Yes! That’s the pass I like,’ yelled a delighted Ljungberg, who got the players together to explain his ideology further. ‘The pass, when Lucas [Torreira] is here and we find the diag [diagonal pass], is amazing. No team can defend against that diag into the pocket.’

There was clear emphasis on Arsenal playing out through pressure and finding pockets of space, with Ljungberg demanding intensity throughout the session.

He also pulled up youngster Gabriel Martinelli for taking too many touches in the drill and explained the best way to avoid pressure from the opposition: ‘If you stand closed, you have to take two touches. We try to work on. Give me the ball, I’m open, then you don’t get done on your press.’
Freddie was very much a quick pass and move kind of bloke - very different to the Fabregas or Wilshire mould of midfielder.

the fact that he's giving this kind of very specific, very detailed hands on coaching to the players gives me a bit of hope for him.

of course, the usual suspects are likely uncoachable in the defensive/ball retention aspects, but if he can get us playing like the above back to front, then we already start to look a lot better and more threatening, and less likely to be on the back foot so much during games.

i'm still not convinced that Freddie is our solution, but i'd be interested to see him in this role for a few weeks.
I don't think he's got the experience for the job but that does sound very encouraging tbh. Fingers crossed but its still very I'll believe it when I see it for me.

northbank123

Post by northbank123 »

Negative points for use of the abbreviation “Diag” though.

Remember how good he was in the run-in to the 2002 season. Absolute fucking filth. Scored 5 or 6 PL games in a row, all crucial goals as well in gritty games like Ipswich and Bolton away whilst Pires was out with his ACL injury. And then the FA Cup final (second year running).

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

I think it's already a case of hooroo Freddie :(

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Freddie needs to put his hands up and admit the job is too much for him
We are in a right mess, but thise blaming Wenger are talking shite
The blame lies with Emery and the board whi should have sacked him in the summer!
Imstead they trusted him with their transfer budget! This is a man who wanted to sign that silva bloke from barca!
And don’t try to tell me that Emery had no input in the summer signings!
Most on here were all advocating giving the usrless emery 2,3 or more transfer windows to build his own team.
His signings are arguably worse than any of wengers!

Clash

Post by Clash »

goonersid wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:06 am
The blame lies with Emery and the board whi should have sacked him in the summer!
Imstead they trusted him with their transfer budget! This is a man who wanted to sign that silva bloke from barca!
Most on here were all advocating giving the usrless emery 2,3 or more transfer windows to build his own team.
Freddie needs to put his hands up? Less than 2 weeks ago you were calling for Freddie to be given the job so maybe you should hold your hands up too Sid? Especially as you’ve spent the last 10 months or more letting everyone know you were right all along about Emery.

Blaming Emery and not Wenger though - that’s ridiculous! It is like blaming the state of a derelict house on the person who inherited it instead of the old man whose neglect and stubbornness had let it get in that state in the first place.

Not sure we can blame Emery too much for the signings either, as unlike with Wenger, I don’t think he got to choose who was signed.

goonersid

Post by goonersid »

Clash wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:54 am
goonersid wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:06 am
Freddie needs to put his hands up? Less than 2 weeks ago you were calling for Freddie to be given the job so maybe you should hold your hands up too Sid? Especially as you’ve spent the last 10 months or more letting everyone know you were right all along about Emery.

Blaming Emery and not Wenger though - that’s ridiculous! It is like blaming the state of a derelict house on the person who inherited it instead of the old man whose neglect and stubbornness had let it get in that state in the first place.

Not sure we can blame Emery too much for the signings either, as unlike with Wenger, I don’t think he got to choose who was signed.
Clash, 100% I thought Freddie could come in and get performances out of this squad, I based that assumption on the hope that his connection with the fans would see him drop the likes of Xhaka, clearly I was wrong!
But to keep blaming Wenger for what’s going on now is ridiculous!
Emery has been a car crash and he has left the club in a worse state than he found it!

Herd

Post by Herd »

I think Freddie's problem is that the rot is so deep that the players are almost uncoachable and totally out of control.
I'm not sure who can fix that.
I wanted most of the team gone end last season and if they had we could have begun again but instead the rotten apples have infected the whole barrel.
I don't have a scooby do how to fix this.
First we need to avoid relegation the start again from scratch.
I