Everton (A) PL 12:30 on 21/12

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.
Midz

Re: Everton (A) PL 12:30 on 21/12

Post by Midz »

John F wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:19 pm
We will lose 3-0 and Arteta will be sacked.
:D :barscarf:

augie

Post by augie »

Maybe too simplistic, but tomorrow might give an indicator of whether our players intend getting on the arteta bus, or whether they have already decided that they want out - we all know that footballers are not the smartest people on the planet, but surely even they will have picked up on the message from arteta today telling them that he expects more energy or the players are out ? In my opinion the appointment of arteta provides clarity to the players now, and I expect any player who wants to stay and play for him, to up their effort and energy and convince arteta that they are players he can work with.

All that being said, higher work-rate will not instill toughness and bigger cajones in our players, so I expect them to be physically bullied by no name average dross, and a 3-1 defeat is coming

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

augie wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:09 pm
Maybe too simplistic, but tomorrow might give an indicator of whether our players intend getting on the arteta bus, or whether they have already decided that they want out - we all know that footballers are not the smartest people on the planet, but surely even they will have picked up on the message from arteta today telling them that he expects more energy or the players are out ? In my opinion the appointment of arteta provides clarity to the players now, and I expect any player who wants to stay and play for him, to up their effort and energy and convince arteta that they are players he can work with.

All that being said, higher work-rate will not instill toughness and bigger cajones in our players, so I expect them to be physically bullied by no name average dross, and a 3-1 defeat is coming
Having seen changes in leadership in business for god knows how many years, any notion that one nice press interview on appointment and a rousing, Churchillian opening statement will have some sort of impact is nonsense. Those who have decided to leave will leave anyway - the window is 2 weeks away and we can already spot those that have been looking at it for weeks already. He doesn't have any time at all before January to work anything out in that regard

This season is over barring the cups, and if he really wants fans and players to be on board he should throw the kitchen sink at the Europa, and the FA Cup. More chance of plaiting fog than finishing top 4. Play the kids in the league. Won't happen of course as no doubt Josh and co. have pumped the 4th place mantra into his veins already
Last edited by SteveO 35 on Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Arsenal Way

Post by The Arsenal Way »

2-2

augie

Post by augie »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:56 am
augie wrote:

Having seen changes in leadership in business for god knows how many years, any notion that one nice press interview on appointment and a rousing, Churchillian opening statement will have some sort of impact is nonsense. Those who have decided to leave will leave anyway - the window is 2 weeks away and we can already spot those that have been looking at it for weeks already. He doesn't have any time at all before January to work anything out in that regard

This season is over barring the cups, and if he really wants fans and players to be on board he should throw the kitchen sink at the Europa, and the FA Cup. More chance of plaiting fog than finishing top 4. Play the kids in the league. Won't happen of course as no doubt Josh and co. have pumped the 4th place mantra into his veins already

Absolutely agree with that, and am actually praying that is the case - I am hoping that any c.unt that wants out will go to arteta and the board in the next 10 days and inform them that they wish to leave, and that we will then spend next month trying to generate as much money as possible through sales of these c.unts, and then reinvest that money in players who want to be here.

Only exceptions I have to that statement is xhaka and ozil cos I would offload them 2 regardless of whether they want to stay or not

Jock Gooner

Post by Jock Gooner »

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:56 am
augie wrote:

All the presser did was show that Arteta is a nice guy who appears genuine in his belief of all things Arsenal and for that I am appreciative. I hear what you say about the cups but unless Arteta can somehow bring about a real change of heart among the squad and instill a sense of belief then I think we are kidding ourselves about any sort of cup run. Christ, we've got Leeds chomping at the bit to come down and fu.ck us up in the FA cup in a couple of weeks time.

The season is pretty much over so I would just like to see Arteta get rid of any wantaways AND Xhaka/Ozil during January so he can clear the decks and start working with players who at least want to be here and will follow his instructions and bother their arse to try their best during games. That might not be up to standard for some but we're going to have to live with that until the summer window and hope he has a chance to make changes then. I hope to Christ that Arteta is prepared to tell Raul to fu.ck off when it comes to players he doesn't want....he must demand that new defenders can actually defend. In the interim hopefully we start to see a pattern of play develop and the right attitude as that will do for a start.

Mind you didn't we say all that about Dick......

Perryashburtongroves

Post by Perryashburtongroves »

Arsenal: Leno, Maitland-Niles, Chambers, Luiz, Saka, Torreira, Xhaka, Nelson, Smith-Rowe, Martinelli, Aubameyang. 

Subs: Lacazette, Pepe, Mustafi, Martinez, Mavropanos, Willock, Guendouzi.

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Arsenal XI: Leno, Maitland-Niles, Chambers, Luiz, Saka, Torreira, Xhaka, Nelson, Smith-Rowe, Martinelli, Aubameyang.

Subs: Lacazette, Pepe, Mustafi, Martinez, Mavropanos, Willock, Guendouzi.

#EVEARS
https://t.co/K5qxVdITCA

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Freddie Ljungberg has said Mesut Ozil is injured but he wouldn't have travelled anyway

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

A team of lambs being sent into the slaughter - this will be over by half time

goonertux

Post by goonertux »

This must be the weakest defence Arsenal have fielded since I can remember. Richarlison to score is a no brainer and even I-Wobbly will fancy his chances. Good luck Mikel you’re gonna need it!

Perryashburtongroves

mcdowell42 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:52 am
Freddie Ljungberg has said Mesut Ozil is injured but he wouldn't have travelled anyway
I imagine he'll be absolutely fine to travel on holiday for a few days, though.

SteveO 35

Post by SteveO 35 »

Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:56 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
As long as it isn't to China :D

mcdowell42

Post by mcdowell42 »

Interesting aside from Ljungberg in his BT Sport pre-match interview as he says Ozil is injured but adds: “Mesut wouldn’t have been in the squad anyway given what happened in the last game.”
Suggests he would have dropped Ozil for show of dissent after being substituted v City.

Perryashburtongroves

SteveO 35 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:59 am
Perryashburtongroves wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:56 am
mcdowell42 wrote:
As long as it isn't to China :D
Oh, I hope it is to China. :wink: