Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
44%

Total votes: 100

flash gunner

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by flash gunner »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:02 pm
flash gunner wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:32 am
utter failure
Um are you talking about Arteta or DB10 as a mod? :wink:
Do i have to explain :roll:

:wink:

augie

Post by augie »

worthing_gooner wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:56 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:41 pm
xisstential wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:13 pm
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer ... ar-BBZ5IxF

How's this for a glowing report for Arteta………. Arteta who has won one game in 5. Inherited the "mess that Emery left" How come the mess that Emery inherited from Wenger, most of which is still there, is never mentioned?? By anybody, ever!!
I dont think anyone in their right mind would argue that Emery wasn't left a complete mess but Emery had two summer and one January transfer windows to begin to sort it out and arguably things are as bad if not worse :rubchin:

People are writing Arteta off after what 6 or 7 games, Emery has had 16 years experience including winning 3 Europe Leagues, Arteta has been Pep Orange boy for a couple of seasons, there's a world of difference. Personally I wouldn't have touched Arteta in a million years to try to sort the shit out at this club but as noted above it's a bit rich of some on here to expect miracles from Arteta then use Emery as some sort of baseline when he couldn't find a way to revitalise the squad after it's late season collapse and humiliation in the Europa final.

What will it take to turn this club around, certainly not Mikel but to insinuate that Emery could have done better is seriously clutching at straws when he had blatantly lost the dressing room. Neither Manager is good enough to improve the bunch of morons we have playing at the moment but we're stuck with Arteta so people desperately looking for miniscule amounts of improvement is understandable and the simple fact that for the last few games our goal hasn't been absolutely peppered with 20+ shots per match by minnows is probably about the limit right now. Unfortunately we have gone from scoring reasonably but giving the opposition way too many chances to cutting down the chances but struggling to score :roll:
This is spot on.

I honestly don't know what people were expecting? You could get Klopp in and he wouldn't suddenly make us peak Barcelona in six games.

Need to get in the real world and recognise that it's not going to happen overnight but acknowledge that we are heading in the right direction. We have seen improvement in virtually every player, but unfortunately some of those players are just extremely limited and that's a whole different debate.

This is the type of shite that is annoying the fcuk out of me - we are talking Bournemouth, palace and Sheffield united not fcuking Barcelona :roll:

xisstential

Post by xisstential »

worthing_gooner wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:
xisstential wrote:

How's this for a glowing report for Arteta………. Arteta who has won one game in 5. Inherited the "mess that Emery left" How come the mess that Emery inherited from Wenger, most of which is still there, is never mentioned?? By anybody, ever!!
I dont think anyone in their right mind would argue that Emery wasn't left a complete mess but Emery had two summer and one January transfer windows to begin to sort it out and arguably things are as bad if not worse :rubchin:

People are writing Arteta off after what 6 or 7 games, Emery has had 16 years experience including winning 3 Europe Leagues, Arteta has been Pep Orange boy for a couple of seasons, there's a world of difference. Personally I wouldn't have touched Arteta in a million years to try to sort the shit out at this club but as noted above it's a bit rich of some on here to expect miracles from Arteta then use Emery as some sort of baseline when he couldn't find a way to revitalise the squad after it's late season collapse and humiliation in the Europa final.

What will it take to turn this club around, certainly not Mikel but to insinuate that Emery could have done better is seriously clutching at straws when he had blatantly lost the dressing room. Neither Manager is good enough to improve the bunch of morons we have playing at the moment but we're stuck with Arteta so people desperately looking for miniscule amounts of improvement is understandable and the simple fact that for the last few games our goal hasn't been absolutely peppered with 20+ shots per match by minnows is probably about the limit right now. Unfortunately we have gone from scoring reasonably but giving the opposition way too many chances to cutting down the chances but struggling to score :roll:
This is spot on.

I honestly don't know what people were expecting? You could get Klopp in and he wouldn't suddenly make us peak Barcelona in six games.

Need to get in the real world and recognise that it's not going to happen overnight but acknowledge that we are heading in the right direction. We have seen improvement in virtually every player, but unfortunately some of those players are just extremely limited and that's a whole different debate.
I'm sorry, I'm not seeing that. I didn't want Arteta but now we have him I want him to succeed because AFC is in my blood. I was absolutely gutted for him when we lost to the Chavs...….. BUT, we are not just struggling against the City's and Liverpools of this league, we still struggle against virtually everybody. These is not one game where we go into were the fans are supremely confident of a win. Not one. If everybody had improved so much we wouldn't be drawing with the likes of S.U and Bournemouth. The truth is when we show any improvement it is in fits and starts, short sections of entire games.

If Arteta is not given a substantial amount of money we are going to hover around the middle to lower half of the league and if he doesn't strengthen significantly in the next 18 months we are going to be fighting relegation. If Klopp, Pep, etc cannot improve this team, Arteta certainly isn't going to be able to.

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

xisstential wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:37 pm
worthing_gooner wrote:
GoonerMuzz wrote:
xisstential wrote:

This is spot on.

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing that. I didn't want Arteta but now we have him I want him to succeed because AFC is in my blood. I was absolutely gutted for him when we lost to the Chavs...….. BUT, we are not just struggling against the City's and Liverpools of this league, we still struggle against virtually everybody. These is not one game where we go into were the fans are supremely confident of a win. Not one. If everybody had improved so much we wouldn't be drawing with the likes of S.U and Bournemouth. The truth is when we show any improvement it is in fits and starts, short sections of entire games.

If Arteta is not given a substantial amount of money we are going to hover around the middle to lower half of the league and if he doesn't strengthen significantly in the next 18 months we are going to be fighting relegation. If Klopp, Pep, etc cannot improve this team, Arteta certainly isn't going to be able to.
Agreed, Arteta saying today we may not sign anyone, if we do likely to be players let go by their current club due to being out of contract
If he is not backed financially by the owner/board we cannot improve significantly to where we want to be with this current crop of players

Barcelona targetting Auba apparently, also being muted in todays reports

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

Beggars belief that a club with our finances cant cobble together funds when we are obviously struggling with poor players and quite a few injuries, as much as I dont see Arteta taking us places I find it hard to believe he doesnt think we need to strengthen so I'm guessing this is coming from above and he is being used exactly as he was intended, sacrificial lamb for the supporters and media :roll:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

flash gunner wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:04 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:02 pm
flash gunner wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:32 am
utter failure
Um are you talking about Arteta or DB10 as a mod? :wink:
Do i have to explain :roll:

:wink:
:lol:

"Mod" is an abbreviation for "Moderator", Flash. A moderator is someone that moderates a forum more than once every 6 months. :wink:

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

I don't believe that he doesn't think that we need strengthening but I would like to know our FFP situation . If it's a case of selling before we buy , is that to raise funds ? or to reduce the overheads before we can get replacements .
if nothing else ,tonight has proven the belief that we are not the push overs we have been under Wenger and Emery .
So Arteta must be doing something right.

augie

Post by augie »

I had a post typed up before half time where I was going on a severe vitriolic rant at arteta when he was going to sub martinelli cos it was a decision that defied belief - I still fear that he is bowing down too much to the likes of ozil, xhaka and mustafi, but he changed his mind on taking martinelli and was rewarded for it 8)

Where I will give him credit though, is in the after match interview he was asked if this was the type of performance that turns the corner for us, and his answer was a simple "we'll see". He could have gone on to do the billy big bollox how great are we rant when full of euphoria, but he was calm and acknowledged that it was just one game and we need to show more of the same.

Nos89

Post by Nos89 »

Got to praise Arteta for his decision making during that match. Didn't rush into making a defensive substitution in the first half. Then made the right changes in the second half. Bringing on holding for pepe to sure up the back was better than the anticipated straight swap of AMN for a tiring bellerin.
He was actively reacting to the way the match was going and didn't do the things we've come to expect from our last two managers. Like bring on a CB if one gets sent off, then bring on a midfielder to hold onto the result in the last 5-10 minutes.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:25 pm
A11M11 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:47 am
In one breath you castigate Xhaka , Guendouzi , Kolasinac , Bellerin , Sokratis , Mustafi , Luiz etc . Then you criticise Arteta for not being able to turn them into worldbeaters .
He can only work with what he has and although just as frustrated , I can see that the organisation has improved but is let down by brain lapses from older players that are either unwilling or unable to learn the changes required.
As for the kids , they are just that :- kids , learning on the job .It took Klopp about 5 years to turn the Dippers round . No-one will turn our basket cases round in five minutes.
Let's not forget the little matter of the near 500million quid Stupid Teeth spent as well huh? :roll: :wink:
It's more closer to £400 million spent over four seasons but your point still stands. Although as we've seen the last four years we can spend around £100 million every season even under Kroenke without selling somebody to recoup £140 million. It's up to us to sort out our recruitment strategy.

SydneyGooner

Post by SydneyGooner »

augie wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:34 pm
I had a post typed up before half time where I was going on a severe vitriolic rant at arteta when he was going to sub martinelli cos it was a decision that defied belief - I still fear that he is bowing down too much to the likes of ozil, xhaka and mustafi, but he changed his mind on taking martinelli and was rewarded for it 8)

Where I will give him credit though, is in the after match interview he was asked if this was the type of performance that turns the corner for us, and his answer was a simple "we'll see". He could have gone on to do the billy big bollox how great are we rant when full of euphoria, but he was calm and acknowledged that it was just one game and we need to show more of the same.
He deserves plenty of credit for sticking with Martinelli. Looked to me like Rounds may have convinced him to change his mind on the sidelines. Ozil should almost always be the first player subbed especially when we're a man down.

Gunner Rob

Post by Gunner Rob »

imagine how good Arteta might be if he actually had a decent defence to work with

augie

Post by augie »

SydneyGooner wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:19 am
augie wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:34 pm

He deserves plenty of credit for sticking with Martinelli. Looked to me like Rounds may have convinced him to change his mind on the sidelines. Ozil should almost always be the first player subbed especially when we're a man down.

Deserves credit ?? Taking off our only goal threat (at one down btw), would be the type of hair brained, idiotic tactical change that le cock did for over a decade before he was finally fcuked out. You don't give a guy credit for not doing something that shouldn't have been a consideration in the first place

A11M11

Post by A11M11 »

Do you give him credit for listening and taking the advice of his assistants then ?

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

The bug eyed bottle job was the only choice when deciding who to hook last night.