Mikel Arteta, success or failure? - Merged thread.

As we're unlikely to see terraces again at football, this is the virtual equivalent where you can chat to your hearts content about all football matters and, obviously, Arsenal in particular. This forum encourages all Gooners to visit and contribute so please keep it respectful, clean and topical.

Will he ?

Have a statue erected after 30 glorious years service?
9%
Be a success, pick up a few trophies and put the club back on an even keel?
27%
Be a moderate success, before handing over to a more high profile successor?
20%
Be an utter fucking disaster?
45%

Total votes: 101

augie

Re: Mikel Arteta, success or failure?

Post by augie »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:10 am
The bug eyed bottle job was the only choice when deciding who to hook last night.

Absolutely - I cannot understand why credit is being pushed his way for not making an insane substitution :? Taking off martinelli would have been a sackable offence last night imo

markyp

Post by markyp »

augie wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:30 pm
worthing_gooner wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:56 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:41 pm
xisstential wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:13 pm
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer ... ar-BBZ5IxF

How's this for a glowing report for Arteta………. Arteta who has won one game in 5. Inherited the "mess that Emery left" How come the mess that Emery inherited from Wenger, most of which is still there, is never mentioned?? By anybody, ever!!
I dont think anyone in their right mind would argue that Emery wasn't left a complete mess but Emery had two summer and one January transfer windows to begin to sort it out and arguably things are as bad if not worse :rubchin:

People are writing Arteta off after what 6 or 7 games, Emery has had 16 years experience including winning 3 Europe Leagues, Arteta has been Pep Orange boy for a couple of seasons, there's a world of difference. Personally I wouldn't have touched Arteta in a million years to try to sort the shit out at this club but as noted above it's a bit rich of some on here to expect miracles from Arteta then use Emery as some sort of baseline when he couldn't find a way to revitalise the squad after it's late season collapse and humiliation in the Europa final.

What will it take to turn this club around, certainly not Mikel but to insinuate that Emery could have done better is seriously clutching at straws when he had blatantly lost the dressing room. Neither Manager is good enough to improve the bunch of morons we have playing at the moment but we're stuck with Arteta so people desperately looking for miniscule amounts of improvement is understandable and the simple fact that for the last few games our goal hasn't been absolutely peppered with 20+ shots per match by minnows is probably about the limit right now. Unfortunately we have gone from scoring reasonably but giving the opposition way too many chances to cutting down the chances but struggling to score :roll:
This is spot on.

I honestly don't know what people were expecting? You could get Klopp in and he wouldn't suddenly make us peak Barcelona in six games.

Need to get in the real world and recognise that it's not going to happen overnight but acknowledge that we are heading in the right direction. We have seen improvement in virtually every player, but unfortunately some of those players are just extremely limited and that's a whole different debate.

This is the type of shite that is annoying the fcuk out of me - we are talking Bournemouth, palace and Sheffield united not fcuking Barcelona :roll:
And I seem to remember one of klopp first games for liverpool being a see saw match against relegation fodder Norwich with liverpool by a miracle winning 5-4 at the death,yeah relegation fodder Norwich,liverpool were so stupid to think that overtime klopp would make anything of that team werent they? The sensible thing to do would have been sack klopp even more so as his first season saw liverpool finish was it 7th or 8th?,it was clear they were gonna be just plain shit,madness to persist with him

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:10 am
The bug eyed bottle job was the only choice when deciding who to hook last night.
:D :D :D

augie

Post by augie »

Marky, instead of throwing out wild statements, can you show me where I (or anyone else) suggested that arteta should be sacked after shit performances against Bournemouth, palace, leeds and Sheffield united ? What I do object to, is some fans overstretching in their efforts to claim improvements where they do not exist - am I saying that he wont or cant turn things around ? No I'm not, but I'm not claiming improvements just cos he isn't wenger or emery

augie

Post by augie »

g88ner

Post by g88ner »

Only a point less than George Graham 8) and a mere 2 less than Chapman. Like it!

rodders999

Post by rodders999 »

AUGIE OUT :barscarf:

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

rodders999 wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:19 pm
AUGIE OUT :barscarf:
Your wish is my command oh Lord Roddaz. Augie now banned. 8)

markyp

Post by markyp »

augie wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:00 pm
Marky, instead of throwing out wild statements, can you show me where I (or anyone else) suggested that arteta should be sacked after shit performances against Bournemouth, palace, leeds and Sheffield united ? What I do object to, is some fans overstretching in their efforts to claim improvements where they do not exist - am I saying that he wont or cant turn things around ? No I'm not, but I'm not claiming improvements just cos he isn't wenger or emery
You cant see any Improvement,in individuals or team?? None? yeah results havent been amazing but even during our amazing run in emerys early days he was getting a good slagging,yes we want good performances and results,it will take time,just have the decency to acknowledge that their have been small improvements,last nights result says a lot for one

GoonerMuzz

Post by GoonerMuzz »

markyp wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:07 pm
augie wrote:
You cant see any Improvement,in individuals or team?? None? yeah results havent been amazing but even during our amazing run in emerys early days he was getting a good slagging,yes we want good performances and results,it will take time,just have the decency to acknowledge that their have been small improvements,last nights result says a lot for one
I have to agree Mark, the negativity and denial is getting tedious, there are small signs of improvement nothing earth shattering but they are there but I think due to the understandable obvious dislike of a Club the size of ours employing an absolute novice manager/coach people are very reluctant to acknowledge any improvement.

I guess we're all a bit guilty of being football snobs at times and we still see our club as being far superior to what in reality it currently is, we are a mid table club currently, our owner, our board, our transfer dealings and the quality of the squad says so, but most of us are reluctant to face up to the reality and therefore getting an unknown novice coach just sticks in the craw..... :rubchin:

Redarmy

Post by Redarmy »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:33 pm
markyp wrote:
augie wrote:
I have to agree Mark, the negativity and denial is getting tedious, there are small signs of improvement nothing earth shattering but they are there but I think due to the understandable obvious dislike of a Club the size of ours employing an absolute novice manager/coach people are very reluctant to acknowledge any improvement.

I guess we're all a bit guilty of being football snobs at times and we still see our club as being far superior to what in reality it currently is, we are a mid table club currently, our owner, our board, our transfer dealings and the quality of the squad says so, but most of us are reluctant to face up to the reality and therefore getting an unknown novice coach just sticks in the craw..... :rubchin:
There is definetly improvement to be seen, in attitude and effort mainly, i personally like Arteta, but there is only so far he can go with some of these players
We need investment to get us back to where we all believe we should be.........over to the board and Kronke :rubchin:
Last edited by Redarmy on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clummo2019

Post by Clummo2019 »

GoonerMuzz wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:33 pm
markyp wrote:
augie wrote:

I agree with both of you fwiw. The negativity on here at the moment is unbelievable really. Some people need to remove their blinkers, put aside their agendas and acknowledge the improvements that Arteta has already made. However slight those improvements may be they ARE there and I'm encouraged by what I'm seeing.

People need to wake up and accept what and where we are as a club right now.

DB10GOONER

Post by DB10GOONER »

Like celebidee slag Jordan on a Saturday night I'm sandwiched right in the middle of this.....

I can see some improvement in our set up and in our spirit but nowhere near the turning a corner thing some are implying has been achieved.

We look harder to beat than under Dick's last 6 months but equally look less able to win than under Dick's first 6 months.

Our main problem is the playing squad. Too many are not good enough or past their best. Most top teams can carry one or two lesser players but not 4 or 5 starters that are not good enough.

What's the solution? Can't see the wigged avenger releasing 500million to buy in what we need and can't see 4 or 5 youth players stepping up and being capable of playing at that level.

Arteta (like Dick) has inherited an abattoir of a club 10 years in the building. That will not be rebuilt in a couple of months or even years.

:|

augie

Post by augie »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:17 am
Like celebidee slag Jordan on a Saturday night I'm sandwiched right in the middle of this.....

I can see some improvement in our set up and in our spirit but nowhere near the turning a corner thing some are implying has been achieved.

We look harder to beat than under Dick's last 6 months but equally look less able to win than under Dick's first 6 months

Our main problem is the playing squad. Too many are not good enough or past their best. Most top teams can carry one or two lesser players but not 4 or 5 starters that are not good enough.

What's the solution? Can't see the wigged avenger releasing 500million to buy in what we need and can't see 4 or 5 youth players stepping up and being capable of playing at that level.

Arteta (like Dick) has inherited an abattoir of a club 10 years in the building. That will not be rebuilt in a couple of months or even years.

:|

The part highlighted in red is exactly what I have been saying - tiny improvements yes, but nowhere near what some are claiming

The part highlighted in blue is where I feel those that are championing arteta already are muddying the waters - yes only top teams can carry one or two lesser players, but Bournemouth, palace, leeds and Sheffield united are not top teams, and we absolutely should be beating those teams with the players we have available. Setting us up to be harder to beat against the chav and manure c.unts is fair enough, but then we have to be able to step up and take the game to the lesser teams that I mentioned, and he hasn't fixed that at all

flash gunner

Post by flash gunner »

DB10GOONER wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:11 pm
flash gunner wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:04 pm
GoonerMuzz wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:02 pm
flash gunner wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:32 am
utter failure
Um are you talking about Arteta or DB10 as a mod? :wink:
Do i have to explain :roll:

:wink:
:lol:

"Mod" is an abbreviation for "Moderator", Flash. A moderator is someone that moderates a forum more than once every 6 months. :wink:
:shock:

:lol: